Linux-Hardware Digest #537, Volume #9             Mon, 1 Mar 99 07:14:37 EST

Contents:
  Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? EconoFast mode (Daniele Bernardini)
  Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux... (Daniele Bernardini)
  Re: Help! My printer won't print at all! (Youngser Park)
  Re: Banshee under X ("arnold kaars")
  Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kerne (Chris Dietzler)
  winmodem or not winmodem ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Visioneer Paperport and Linux (Phillip Deackes)
  Re: winmodem or not winmodem ? (**Nick Brown)
  Re: HELP with Dell dimension series (Brian Ward)
  Re: Weird (but non-fatal) boot message with WD7000 SCSI controller (**Nick Brown)
  Re: DHCP problem? (Erwin de Beus)
  Weird (but non-fatal) boot message with WD7000 SCSI controller (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Can't use my mouse in X (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox (**Nick Brown)
  Configuration Conflicts between Dialup Adapter and Ethernet Card ("Vasilios E.
Tourloupis")
  Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux... (Hilaire Fernandes)
  Re: AMD k6 2 350 (Hilaire Fernandes)
  PCI graphic card recommendation, please (Vladimir NOVIKOV)
  Re: Install Linux over 2 small HDs to span filesystem ? (Paul Colquhoun)

From: Daniele Bernardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? EconoFast mode
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:14:23 +0100

Gal Aviel wrote:

> > > Before sending the file to lp?, send the following PCL command: Esc*o-1M (or
> > > the octal sequence: 027 042 111 045 049 077) to put the printer in EconoFast
> > > mode.
> >

> hi guys, this is exactly what I was looking for (how to EconoFast
> my hp DeskJet 600) but :
> 1. how do I actually give the PCL command ?
>     what do I type at the shell prompt ?
> 2. is there a way so I won't have to do this for each file ?
>     something like giving this option once and for all
>     in say the RH 5.2 printtool of KDE's hp laserjet control center ?
>     or in some other config file ?
> 3. do you know where I can get more info on PCL and linux ?
>     maybe I'll find more good options there, I remember in M$
>     you had more say on the output quality.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any info from you guys,
> thanks !
> gal.

Well if you use ghostscript 5.50 you can just pass the option
-dQuality=-1 to gs and it will work in econofast. This will work with
cdj670 but, I think, not with cdj550.

regards,

Daniele
   Daniele Bernardini
   Sektion Theoretische Physik, LMU Muenchen
   Theresienstr. 37,  80805 Muenchen DEUTSCHLAND
   Tel: +49 (89) 23944378
   e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Daniele Bernardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux...
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:18:33 +0100

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> > Does Intel pay you for this?
> >
> > BTW: I have asus P5A + riva TNT + k6 with no problem and very good
> > performance
> >

> I've 25 AMDK6 with i430TX motheboard chipset and Linux won't install at
> all in this computer. I never get such problems with intel chip from
> i386 up to PentiumII.
>
> I also won't suggest to anybody using any kind of AMD K6.
>
> Maybe you are lucky, the right motherboard with the right AMDK6 :)
>
> AMDK6 : Linux may work or may not ! Everyone can try at its own risk:-)
> Me I don't get the choice, and it doesn"t work.
>
> --
> Hilaire Fernandes
> Dr Geo project http://members.xoom.com/FeYiLai/dr_geo/doctor_geo.html

Well, can you back your statements with something more
solid, like what problem did you have, what mainboard/ram are you
using, some output from your kernel etc. etc.? It is the first time that
I hear that Linux wont INSTALL on a K6!

Regards,

Daniele

   Daniele Bernardini
   Sektion Theoretische Physik, LMU Muenchen
   Theresienstr. 37,  80805 Muenchen DEUTSCHLAND
   Tel: +49 (89) 23944378
   e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
From: Youngser Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! My printer won't print at all!
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 05:23:10 -0500

Hi!

I have a similar setup (RH 5.2, 2.0.36) with a HP 6MP printer,
and have the same problem. I do remember this printer works
with an older kernel.

After the printer jobs failed, I checked "dmesg" again, and
it said:

lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.

My printcap entry is as follows;

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4
  Default {}
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

and "lpc status" shows;

lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

Changing lp0 to lp1 or lp2 didn't help, either.
Does anyone have a solution for us??

Thanks in advance.

- Youngser

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Gary Krupa wrote:

> I'm at my wit's end.
>
> My kernel version is 2.0.34. I'm using an HP
> Paintjet printer.
>
> Last night, I tried sending a print job to my
> printer from ghostview. I was using a postscript
> filter for the first time. Unfortunately, when I
> added the filter to my /etc/printcap file, I named
> it lp -- the same name as another printer listed
> earlier in the file. Not only didn't the
> postscript file print. From that moment on,
> nothing printed.
>
> The print jobs would be spooled, and I can remove
> them with lprm. The lock file would be created in
> /var/spool/lpd, as before. But nothing would
> happen when I'd issue the lpr command. And now, I
> can see that everytime a job is spooled, lpd would
> spawn as a new process. Previously, it'd always
> run in the background and didn't need to respawn.
> Plus, when the system boots, I can't see a
> statement from the kernel regarding lp1, as I
> could before.
>
> I tried starting the system with my old
> distribution, kernel version 1.2.8. Then the
> printing worked fine.
>
> I also tried the following:
>
> 1. replaced /dev/lp1
> 2. started the 1.2.8 distribution with the version
> 1.2.8 /dev/lp1.
> 3. used my old version of /etc/printcap.
> 4. changed active printers with export PRINTER.
> 5. reinstalled the original kernel from the
> cd-rom.
> 6. started lpd with the -l option. However, no
> debugging information has yet been found.
> 7. changed the group status for all files in the
> directory /var/spool/lpd/paintjet to lp.
>
> I ran lpc as root, and reenabled printing. Nothing
> appears to be out of the ordinary there.
>
> Whenever I issue the lpr command, the following
> message appears:
>
> waiting for paintjet to become ready (offline?)
>

> I'm completely baffled by this. The printer is
> plugged in, and I can print from both DOS and my
> other linux configuration. I took the printer
> offline and reset it, with no change in results.
>
> My only theory as to why this happened is that
> lpd became confused by my duplicate lp entry, and
> I've also read the Linux-Printing-HOWTO and the
> Linux-Usage-HOWTO, so if you refer me to one of
> those guides, please refer me to a specific
> section that's relevant.
>
> If you need more information, just ask. I'll be
> only too happy to provide it.
>
> I'm afraid I'm in over my head on this one. Please
> help, ANYBODY!
>

> Gary Krupa

- Youngser

Youngser Park                     | The George Washington University
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | Dept. of EE & CS
(202) 994-5373 (O) -0227 (FAX)    | 801 22nd St. NW,
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/graphics  | Washington, DC 20052

From: "arnold kaars" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Banshee under X
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:58:23 +0800

Have a look at http://glide.xxedgexx.com you'll find a driver and setup
instructions.
Have just set up mine and it works like a charm.
arnold

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 02:06:13 -0800
From: Chris Dietzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kerne

If your cache is enabled and your system crashes, you may have bad internal or
external cache. Try running a different OS or run some diagnostic SW that tests
cache memory.

allen kurt savegnago wrote:

> Subject: Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kernel problem
>
> TPšIn article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> TPšL/R  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> TPš>I'm testing 2.2.0/2.2.1  SMP kernel on Tyan Tomcat III 1563D (166MM
> TPš>dual)
> TPš>but my system crashes with internal and external cache bios settings
> TPš>enabled.
> TPš>Only disabling the settings Linux becomes very stable....
> TPš>Is it a known problem for Tyan boards?
> TPš>I have an Award Bios v. 4.01 , are there particular settings to solve
> TPš>the problem?
>
> TPšI don't know about kernel 2.2 just yet, but I've been running 2.0 on a Tomcat
> TPšIII with dual 166-nonMMX processsors for a long time.  I don't have this
> TPšproblem.  I'm going to try 2.0 soon and see how it works.
>
> Ditto,
>
>   I have been running a Gigabyte GA-586DX with non-MMX dual Pentium 200Mhz
> processor since April of 96.  I have the 2.2.2 kernel running on it and
> four other of my machines with no problem.  The 133Mhz 486 does take a long
> time to compile though.
>
>                                 Best regards,
>                                 Kurt Savegnago
>                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  * 1st 2.00 #6533 * Just a crappy tagline

Chris Dietzler
System Administrator, SAIC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(619) 646-9375

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: winmodem or not winmodem ?
Date: 1 Mar 1999 10:57:04 GMT

hello
I plan to buy a modem to be connected at home
wisecom sends an external modem called Internet 56000 voice modem
serial number Ws-5614ES3GKV

is it a real modem which works on linux ?

thanks
eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Subject: Re: Visioneer Paperport and Linux
Date: 1 Mar 1999 09:36:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Klaus Bernpaintner wrote:
>I have a Visioneer Paperport 3100 scanner which I want to make work under Linux.
>This is the last component of my system that I need to be able to finally ditch
>Windows.
>
>I have been looking everywhere but have not been able to find drivers for the
>scanner. In fact, strangely, I have not even seen it mentioned in the Linux
>world.

If the scanner connects to your computer's parallel port you are almost
certainly out of luck. Linux favours SCSI scanners and will work with
many varieties. I use an Agfa Snapscan 310 very successfully. There is
some support for certain parallel port scanners, HP being a case in
point, but very few.

If your Paperport is SCSI, you will need SANE, the Linux equivalent of
TWAIN. Have a look in your Linux distribution's ftp site for the file,
or the SANE web site, http://www.mostang.com/sane/ - Visioneer may or
may not be supported.

--
Phillip Deackes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: winmodem or not winmodem ?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:20:53 +0100

I thought all Winmodems were internal ??

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hello
> I plan to buy a modem to be connected at home
> wisecom sends an external modem called Internet 56000 voice modem
> serial number Ws-5614ES3GKV
>
> is it a real modem which works on linux ?
>
> thanks
> eric

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

From: Brian Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP with Dell dimension series
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:29:32 +0100

Hi June,

> I am in the process of buying a Dell dimension series PII's.
> My concern is if their video card would run x smoothly. They are listing
> video cards called:
>
> ATI xpert98D 8M 3d AGP
> STB nVidia ZXV 8M or TNT 16M AGP
>
> They are NOT listed in linux hardware list. Would any one of these work?
> Any input will be appreciated.

I just installed RedHat5.2 on a dimension 350V, and the ATI board works
fine. You need the Mach64 X-server, and that's supported (you can check out
http://support.atitech.ca/faq/unix.html).

Beware of  the modem that comes with the machine - if it's a "winmodem",
it's not and probably won't be supported by Linux (see
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html).

Also, there might be some problems getting the soundcard working. I haven't
managed so far, but haven't really tried yet.

Good luck,
Brian.
Brian Ward * Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre *
Edvard Griegsvei 3A * 5037 Bergen-Solheimsviken * Norway
Tel +47 55 29 29 01 - 246 * Fax +47 55 20 00 50 *
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Weird (but non-fatal) boot message with WD7000 SCSI controller
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:25:05 +0100

... forgot to add, Kernel is 2.0.34.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw

From: Erwin de Beus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP problem?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:33:32 +0100

==============A35CF21963335EBA763EDAE6

Donald Chan wrote:

> I recently hooked up a computer to the resnet jack running linux. DHCP
> assigned me the address 130.91.190.149 for my NIC. For some odd reason,
> after the computer is off and disconnected from the jack, I'm able to
> ping it and get a response at the IP. I get a MAC address of
> 08-00-2b-b7-ce-d0 from the IP, but when I connect my box to the jack
> its MAC address isnt the one above. I also get this kernel error
> in my logs.
>
> Feb 28 20:13:04 wedge kernel: ARP: arp called for own IP address
>
> I also can't seem to connect to my box thru telnet/www/ftp windows clients,
> the connection just times out. But I am able to connect to it easily
> thru another unix box like solaris or linux. I'm pretty sure the OS side
> of things are fine. But is it possible that DHCP has assigned me an
> already used IP address? Or something is misconfigured in the subnet?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Donald Chan........................[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> [215]417-8241..........[http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~dchan]
>     "People get annoyed when you try to debug them"
>                                 --Larry Wall

More likely: somebody is using a hand-configured address that is also given to
you by the DHCP server. Afaik, DHCP doesn't check if the address is already in
use. It will only check if it hasn't given the address before to someone else
and that lease is still valid. This is a job for your network administrator to
resolve.

Erwin de Beus

==============A35CF21963335EBA763EDAE6

begin:vcard
n:de Beus;Erwin
tel;fax:+31 15 2781204
tel;work:+31 15 2783248
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.wt.tn.tudelft.nl
org:TU Delft - Technische Natuurkunde;Warmte en Stroming
adr:;;Lorentzweg 1;Delft;;2628 CJ;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-28192
fn:Erwin de Beus
end:vcard

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:14:33 +0100

Just installed Debian... nice to be back on Unix after 10 years :-)

My system has an IDE drive and a Symbios 810 SCSI card with two drives.
During boot, I see messages about the NCR chip on the Symc810 as it
initialises correctly and finds the disks.  Then I get the message
(approx, sorry) "Failed to initialise WD7000 SCSI controller".

Now, is this because
- Linux thinks I have a WD7000 and tries to initialise
- The WD7000 is a cousin of the Symc810, but not close enough for some
initialisation routine to run correctly
- or just to show that Linux can produce spurious warnings as well as
any M$ product (just joking folks) ?

Everything works, but I'm intrigued.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't use my mouse in X
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:24:20 +0100

I tore my hair out getting my mouse to work.  It could be a simple
problem of the graphics setup program.  I was scrolling down to
/dev/ttyS0 and highlighting it and clicking Apply, but I wasn't hitting
Enter to make the selection - above the scroll list, it still said
/dev/mouse (the default).  (Not sure why you're using /dev/cua0.  Try
ttyS0.  And the Microsoft protocol should be OK.  I assume the mouse
works under Windoze - in that case, ask Control Panel/Mouse what kind it
is - it will probably say "Microsoft Serial Mouse".)  Good luck.

Ishai Parasol wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've installed a redhat 5.0 system on my old 486 computer and i have
> installed the Xfree86 too. everything seems to work accept that I
> can't use the mouse in X. there is a cursor on the screen but it
> does'nt move. i have one of those cheap taiwanian 5$ mouses which
> connected on /dev/cua0 (com1).
> I tried to change all the options in the mouses list in the
> mouseconfig but nothing helps.
> What can I do to solve this problem ?
>
> thanks in advance
> Ishai Parasol

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:35:42 +0100

Only some graphics cards have specific X11 drivers.  Matrox cards use
the SVGA driver.  Within that, if you don't find exactly the card you
have, it should work OK if you choose any of them, with the right amount
of memory - Matrox cards are reasonably upwards compatible in my
experience (albeit Windoze experience).

>     Could anybody point me to the proper driver? And I would like to
> know how to install it. Supposing I can download it frome somewhere,
> what do I do with the file? Can Linux read other floppys?

Linux can read FAT volumes as standard.  Mount them with vfat rather
than msdos as the fs type if you want to see long filenames.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw

From: "Vasilios E. Tourloupis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Configuration Conflicts between Dialup Adapter and Ethernet Card
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:41:46 +1100

Dear Linux Users,

I know this is the wrong newsgroup to post this question, however, there may
be some people
who have experienced or are experiencing the same problem as myself.  The
following message
is the one I sent to the Windows 95 newsgroups:

    Does anybody know how to resolve a configuration conflict that I am
    currently experiencing with my dial-up adapter and my ethernet card.
    In particular, I am experiencing a clash between the DNS Configuration
    for the dial-up adapter and the Ethernet card.  Because I am on a LAN,
    I want to use my ISP's DNS for my dial-up adapter, and the my LAN's
    DNS for my ethernet card.  At the moment, I am getting the same
    configuration for both - i.e. if I modify the configuration for one
device,
    Windows 95 is happy to modify the configuration for the other device.

As you've probably guessed by now, the LAN that I am refering to is none
other than my
Linux box acting as the DNS server.  I suppose I should describe the
symptoms of the problem
before jumping to any conclusion: basically, I am getting a VERY slow
response time from my
ISP when I dial up under Windows 95 - so slow that some of the time I get
disconnected!
Am I correct to assume that the above mentioned problem is the cause of
this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Bill Tourloupis - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Hilaire Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:58:52 +0800

> > I've 25 AMDK6 with i430TX motheboard chipset and Linux won't install at
> > all in this computer. I never get such problems with intel chip from
> > i386 up to PentiumII.
> >

> Well, can you back your statements with something more
> solid, like what problem did you have, what mainboard/ram are you
> using, some output from your kernel etc. etc.? It is the first time that
> I hear that Linux wont INSTALL on a K6!

Mainboard chipset i430TX, on board ultra DMA
CPU : AMDK6 200Mhz
RAM : 64Mb
Kernel : I don"t remember but one shipped with Redhat 4.2 5.1 & 5.2

>From the bios I try with/without ultradma, with/without cache, and
someother I'm not very sure about.

When installing from the CDROM, the kernel boot and the PC then RESET,
no more. It seems the reset came after PCI probing (no really sure as
it's going very fast)

Well if you can help me solve this I will be very happy about.

From: Hilaire Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD k6 2 350
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:03:50 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hilaire Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Don't use AMDK6 if you don't want to have problems. There is many.

>From the Redhat documentation there is buggy K6 who won't work with
Linux... and there is no patch for.

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-3.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vladimir NOVIKOV)
Subject: PCI graphic card recommendation, please
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:59:10 GMT

Hello all,

I have two old Linxu bowes (AMD 486-133 and P-100) I want to upgrade.

I mostly want a new graphic card to be able to get 32 bpp at 1600 x
1200.

You clearly understand that i want a PCI model (sorry, no AGP here).

I think all major new PCI cards work with Linux now, so what to
choose?

Matrox Millenium G200 PCI, Diamont Viper 550 (TNT), STB 4400, Blaster
TNT and so on. All can have up to 16 Mb.

But which one gives the best results?

So, all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Install Linux over 2 small HDs to span filesystem ?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:08:35 GMT

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:14:34 GMT, Michael McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Hi,
|I have two 200MB ide hard drives and would like to install redhat 5.2
|or another distributions of linux using the two seperate drives as one
|
|filesystem. ie a basic redhat5.2 install with networking etc is over
|200 MB.
|
|When the first HD is full the install produces errors (no space left
|on device etc :-) .
|
|Is it possible to set it up so the install will continue to the second
|HD and have linux see both disks as one, or do I need to
|do an absolute minimum install to drive C then install the
|remaining programs to D drive.
|
|Suggestions please.

Using the RAID drivers it is possible to setup a single filesystem
that spans multiple disks, but this would be difficult to do
for the boot volume, as it needs to load the RAID drivers
(even if they are compiled into the kernel) and the RAID config
files (from /etc/raid.conf) before the RAID disks can be mounted.

I think your easiest solution is to make a seperate /usr partition
on the second disk during installation.

WARNING: Don't make /etc a seperate partition as this will make
it almost impossible to boot the system.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol