From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: mgetty as a V90 PPP server?
Date: 5 Mar 1999 21:56:10 GMT

Even if two modems have v.90 technology?  Why is this?

        - Mike

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:11:48 GMT, M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (¬P¬P) writes:
>
>[...]
>
>>My question is, these two modems can dial to a ISP with
>>speeds over 45000bps, but while they talk to each other,
>>I always got 33600bps.
>
>That's the way V90 works. You can't have a 56K connection
>from modem to modem; you'll need to go through an ISP
>dialup connection to get anything better than plain 33.6K
>on an analog line.
>
>Michael
>--
>Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
>          Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

Michael B. Trausch                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
V: (419) 838-8104                                   F: (815) 846-9374
                          ICQ UIN:  32369835
   "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
   curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly."
                                                - Arnold Edinborough

If you do not have my public PGP key, you are encouraged to obtain it
from my website at http://www.wcnet.org/~mtrausch/mykey.zip. You need
               to have PGP 5.0i or newer to use the key.

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:46:48 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: V.90 ISA modems for Linux

Hi everybody,
I've been trying to track internal V.90 ISA modems which would
work under Linux; if you are looking for such things --

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

***But please use your own judgement; I do not guarantee anything***

So far, I found nothing below $40; please post a reply if you know
something.
Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 1999 23:48:03 -0500

"David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote in message ...
> >Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> 2 GB RAM is a satisfactory virtual address space for a single process
> >> for most purposes, but 1 or 2 GB RAM is not a satisfactory upper limit
> >> on RAM today.
> >
> >but these are not `most purposes'.  the big ram user will almost
> >certainly need a shitload of ram for *one* process.  otherwise, you'd
> >just buy more machines and run one of the big (but not humongous)
> >processes on each.
> >
> >e.g., a finite-element analysis requiring 7GB of memory for the matrix
> >math.  or a database application juggling a giant lump in memory.
>
> My question is why would anyone try to run a finite-element analysis with a
> 7GB matrix on any Intel based machine.

because they are out of their minds. ;-)

>    Again this is an address space
> issue best solved by a 64 bit processor.    Even NT breakes up the address
> space of an i386 in such a way that user adressable memory is
> limited.

exactly.

i was responding to someone who thought that you might need more than
4 GB of RAM yet no single process needed more than 4 GB (in order to
avoid `far' pointers).  if you need the BIG RAM, it is because you
have ONE task which requires it.  7 tasks needing 1 GB each would be
better served running one after another in series on a smaller machine
or spread over several smaller boxes.

since intel cannot access more than 4 GB cleanly, it would make a
whole lot of sense to use a processor with real 64 bit address modes.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Lachlan Dunlop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hitachi PII 266 Notebook, Ethernet trouble
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 11:21:52 +0000

Hello,

I have a Hitachi PII 266 notebook with a built it ethnet adapter.  It is
a 10/100 beast.  I have tried numerous drivers but I cannot get linux to
recognize it.  I have an old Hitachi notebook with ethernet  which uses
the lance32 driver and that works fine with linux

Anyone have a solution to this one??

Thanks

Lach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:45:38 GMT

On 04 Mar 1999 23:18:48 -0500, Johan Kullstam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

>i can understand linus completely.  do you remember 16 bit segment
>hell?  i sure do.  i never want to see that kind of brain damage ever
>again as long as i live.  far pointers are a monumental crock.  shame
>on you for even bringing it up!
>
>what would want a larger address space?  most likely, it'd be a single
>massive program like a number cruncher or database application.  you
>would have near and far 32 bit and 32+32 bit pointers.  it would suck
>royally.  it'd break all the assumptions that linux makes (basically
>all memory is accessible by a 32 bit pointer).
>
>if you need more address space, get a 64 cpu!  for someone really
>needing the 36 bit space, the cost of an alpha or sparc is *not*
>prohibitive.

It's fair enough for someone to want to build a 36 bit Linux port, so
long as they're willing to take responsibility for:
a) Writing it,
b) Rewriting GLIBC to use 36 bit values,
c) Creating a 36 bit distribution.

Nothing is inherently wrong with any of those ideas.  Except to assume
that any of those things are Linus' responsibility.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: "W. Scott Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unrecognized CD-ROM
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:56:22 -0800

This is one of those hope you have the manual.....if it is a old
soundblaster it has jumpers on the card itself that will help you...If it
is a newer version you may have some dos software to set the irq's , i/o
etc...

good luck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: zip drive mount question..
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:35 GMT

I am curious..

Why is it that if I have two zip disks, both formatted as DOS disks,
both have the same identical files (long filenames). Yet if I mount
them as vfat (or msdos for that matter), one will only mount as hdd1
and the other only mounts as hdd4??

It seems to me that both ought to mount as the same partition number.
They're duplicates!

Or am I missing something here??

Any thoughts?
Steve

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Mar 1999 23:18:48 -0500

John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "David A. Frantz" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Robert;
> >
> > Robert Krawitz wrote in message ...

> > gets a
> > IBM.
> > >
> > >I think this is a tad unfair.  I'm disappointed that Linus doesn't
> > >want to enable large memory addressing on the x86.

i can understand linus completely.  do you remember 16 bit segment
hell?  i sure do.  i never want to see that kind of brain damage ever
again as long as i live.  far pointers are a monumental crock.  shame
on you for even bringing it up!

what would want a larger address space?  most likely, it'd be a single
massive program like a number cruncher or database application.  you
would have near and far 32 bit and 32+32 bit pointers.  it would suck
royally.  it'd break all the assumptions that linux makes (basically
all memory is accessible by a 32 bit pointer).

if you need more address space, get a 64 cpu!  for someone really
needing the 36 bit space, the cost of an alpha or sparc is *not*
prohibitive.

> > As with any general purpose operateing system there are trade offs, one
> > outstanding feature of Linux is the freedom to transform it into something
> > that suits your purposes.    The reallity is that there is nothing to be
> > gained by trying to use a special capability of the XEON just to fillfull
> > the special needs of a few users.    This is especially the case when the
> > Chip and Chip SETs are not suited for the application.    I firmly believe
> > that if you really need 64 bit addressing to main memory then you need to
> > look at a 64 bit system.

exactly.

> There are multiple reasons for and against going with an Alpha or PPC
> vs. Intel... on of which is *all* the other hardware is Intel x86 based
> and having *binary* compatibility is important.

who cares about binary compatibility?  just recompile!

if it's some proprietary offering, chances are it would never be
offered in 32+32 bit large mode.  even if linux were to support it,
it'd be a bitch to port.

> That said, I too am interersted in this topic for the simple reason
> that the 450NX chipset motherboards can support 4 way interleaving
> of memory, plus the use of alternate (4 32bit PCI buses, 2 64bit PCI
> buses or 2 32bit & 1 64bit PCI buses) bus structure, up to 8 Xeon
> CPUs (with cluster controller)... I'm not as interested in the size
> of the address space as much as the size of the memory bandwidth and
> I/O bus structure...

sgi, sun, the former dec all make *much* better high end machines.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vacuo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Digital Cameras
Date: 5 Mar 1999 04:20:25 GMT

I would recommend putting money into those megapixel cameras that use
Flash memory cards. The Nikon 900S stores about 55 'normal' 260k jpegs
on a 15mb Flash card. These cards are produced by several
manufacturers
so there is competition and the cards are cheap. New cards are
available
with hundreds ( !) of mb capacity today. They last virtually forever:
hundreds of
thousands of cycles. They can be read very quickly using a parallel
port Flash
card reader- 55 pics in about a minute or less. This  is at least an
order of magnitude
faster  than serial cable. I use a Sandisk reader which cost under
60-US$. You
slip the Flash card out of  the camera and into the mouse-like reader.
The files
(exposures) appear as a 'removable drive' in your computer and are
almost
instantly available for use. No camera battery usage of course during
this transfer.

There  is  simply no comparison between this system and the prior
methods
such as floppy (ughh) with its moving parts inside the camera and the
old
Olympus proprietary non-removable memory chips. You can hold thousands
of pictures in the palm of your hand using Flash cards.

Flash readers are available in SCSI form as well as EPP Parallel Port,
but
are expensive (200-US$ or more). On a trip one could just carry the
reader
and the software on a floppy, and use just about any computer at all
email or ftp the photos back home. Or leave the floppy home and dl the
latest program from www.sandisk.com or whatever.

Vacuo

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.compression,linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.multimedia
Subject: Re: MPEG and linux
Date: 06 Mar 1999 00:45:21 -0800

David Garcia Dolla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi.
> I am interested in finding a MPEG coder card or a parallel port plug-in
> MPEG video capture unit with support for linux. Does any of you know
> about any product?

Follow MPEG links from

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/video.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Collin Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 21:31:45 GMT

I have PII/300 model 3 step 4.  Please let us know if you have solved your
problem.

------------------------------

From: "Bious6" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128 works only when logged in as root.
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:51:29 -0300

How do I make the sb live work in linux?
Thanks Eduardo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tabman)
Subject: Re: Problems with ESS1938
Date: 5 Mar 1999 05:29:38 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:27:35 +0100, Anatol Quabach
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Neville Dalal wrote:
>
>> Can anyone configure the ES1938 to work under Linux 2.2.1, I get the
>> problem of two devices trying to share one IRQ of 5.  Please email me
>> with any help or advice.
>
>Are you talking about the mixer and the MPU interface
>conflicting? I had this prob with my ES1788. Try isapnptools
>if it's ISA and try to run both the sb module and a separate
>mpu401 module with the latter using an unused fake IRQ and
>the former using the real IRQ.

    The 1938 is also known as the Solo-1, which is PCI.

>If there is a dos partition available or you can get your
>hands on a dos boot disk (6.22 will do), get esscfg.exe from
>ESS' site (www.esstech.com, look for the downloadable
>drivers page). It's a DOS tool for configuration of the card
>for the 17xx and (I think) some of the 18xx cards. If it
>works with your 19xx too, you could use it to configure the
>card and then loadlin into Linux.

    I tried esscfg.exe, and it doesn't work for the 1938.

    To get the 1938 working in Linux, Neville needs the ALSA ( Advanced Linux
Sound Architecture. http://also.jcu.cz ) stuff. ALSA, has support for the
1938.

    In DOS, you need a program which will tell the 1938 which protocol to
use. The protocol to use depends on the PCI bridge. I got the documents from
the ESS site, I've read a bunch of it, but haven't had the time to get all
the info I need to write the program.

    When I do get the program written, I'll post it on the Web.

    I haven't even had the time to install ALSA either. So I can't say how
well it works.

    Hope this helps.

'later...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| "If you make people think they are
Tabman           You may answer in |  thinking, they will love you; if you

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help with external IDSN pls
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:31:10 -0800

I used to have a Motorola BitSurfr external ISDN modem, where I got this feature
to work.
The feature you need is called multi-link PPP.
First, your ISP must support it. Most of them do, but they charge more for it.
Second, the modem must have a setting to switch to ML-PPP. My BitSurfr had. Look
in your modem docs to find out about that.
You then send the string to switch the modem to ML-PPP as part of the modem init
string.

-Joe

childsplay wrote:

> ok, to anyone who can help with isdn pls do. I got my network and ip
> masquerading working. but it only works on one b channer not both? Is
> there anything i can do to force it to use both b channels? both work
> fine under windows. Just can't get them to work under linux. Its a
> external 3com Impact IQ and 115k or 230k with hi speed serial port
> *which i do NOT have* just trying to get my 115k going. any suggestions
> will be greatly appriciated.
> p.s. i'm a newbie and still new to commands and such. if your gonna
> offer any commands to fix this please be spicific.
>
> thnx in advance.
>
> --
> Charles "childsplay" VanDyke
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ# 14539920 ============
> ]TeamGameSpy[ ============
> http://www.gamespy.com ===

Joachim Feise         Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux renders ships, NT is rendering ships useless.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karim Hernandez)
Subject: Diamond SpeedStar A50 XFree86 support?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:59:57 GMT

Is there an X server that supports the SpeedStar A50 8Meg APG
videocard around, and if so, where can I download it?

Please email any suggestions.

Thanx,
Karim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tabman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: x color depth?
Date: 5 Mar 1999 05:34:36 GMT

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:48:44 -0700, Kevin White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi, I have an ATI Rage Pro 3d agp video card with 8MB ram.  I am using
>the Mach64 X server.  It runs good in 1024x768 at 8 bits per pixel (256
>colors), but I would like to get to 16bpp or 32bpp.  I have tried
>"startx --bpp 16" and "startx --bpp 32" but it always runs in 8bpp.  Any
>ideas?  Am I using the right commands for different color depths?

    Hi Kevin.

    You can add "DefaultColorDepth  16" or "DefaultColorDepth  32" to the
"Screen" sections in your XF86Config.

e.g

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "MillenniumG200"
    Monitor     "OptiquestV95"
    DefaultColorDepth 32
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8

    EndSubsection
EndSection

'later...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Lee)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 06:24:53 GMT

"W. Scott Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This is one of those hope you have the manual.....if it is a old
>soundblaster it has jumpers on the card itself that will help you...If it
>is a newer version you may have some dos software to set the irq's , i/o
>etc...

Thanks for the tip.  I did find a manual on the sound card, and it
pointed me to a utility (CONFIG) that gave me the IO Base address and
IRQ number.  But RH wants a "Label".  What might that refer to?

Is there any HELP on the installation program, to help me know how to
answer the questions as they arise?  For instance, if the base address
is 220H, do I just enter 220, or 220H, or X220, or what?

>good luck

Thanks.  I'm beginning to believe I need it.