Linux-Hardware Digest #579, Volume #13           Fri, 15 Sep 00 09:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Mandrake 7.1 with 3c509b NIC (chewie8han)
  Re: serial port server ??? (Vlastimil Pohnetal)
  Re: Linux on a 386 (Vlastimil Pohnetal)
  FAT12 filesystem support under Linux?? (John Hovell)
  Re: linux support dual P2 233? ("Richard F. Jr.")
  Intel 2100 internal DSL modem (Captain Gravy)
  Re: FAT12 filesystem support under Linux?? (JON)
  Re: GeForce MX ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Linux won't boot with Thunderbird! (Eric Dondelinger)
  aha152x-module ("Renzo Lauper")
  Compaq deskpro erratic clock with RH6.0 ("Giancarlo Cairoli & C sas")
  Re: which cd-rw is best for linux red hat 6.2? (Olger Stoelinga)
  Re: FAT12 filesystem support under Linux?? (Anita Lewis)
  wrong screen resolution ("Bruno Diviacco")
  Re: Squid on Linux with this performance? (Martin Lohmann)
  Re: FAT12 filesystem support under Linux?? (Harold Oga)
  Can't get Microsoft Wheel mouse to work
  Re: Re: Micron Clientpro PCI problems with RedHat Linux 6.2 (Edward Wozniak)
  Re: Modem on ASUS L7300-E notebook? (Peter Budding)
  Epson USB scanner trouble
  Re: Squid on Linux with this performance? (SteveW)
  Any compat. S7 mobo. with AV? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: chewie8han <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 with 3c509b NIC
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:28:38 GMT

I recently installed Mandrake 7.1.  I have my settings for my NIC card set
up exactly like my roomate's working Mandrake computer.  This includes the
driver (3c509), all of the network numbers (gateway, subnet, both DNS).
The only thing different is our IPs.  On boot up, my eth0 is initialized
correctly, but when I open up Netscape, it gives me errors about not being
able to find the server name.  It sounds like the DNS numbers are wrong
but I checked them against my roomate's computer and against my Windows
settings.  Does anyone have any clues?

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial port server ???
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:21:20 +0200

I think that exactly that problem you described has been solved by
miteROUTER, see http://www.mite.cz/software and
http://www.mite.cz/miterouter. We have made many similar applications
under slogan "data to Ethernet"
V. Pohnetal

------------------------------

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a 386
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:32:04 +0200

Colm O'Gairbhith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Linux on a 386/SX 25Mhz. teh machine only has
> 1920Kb of memory so I run into problems when trying to install tinyLinux
> or muLinux.

Everything depends on services you are going to install.

Anyone know of a distro that can fit on such a weak machine.
> Also, any ideas as to what the max memory one can put on a 386. Someone
> gave me 2x8Mb SIMMs but the machine doesn't recognise them. On a
> pc-newsgroup two people told me that since the 1920kb is on the
> motherboard, trying to add 16Mb to it causes me to go over the 16Mb
> total limit for a 386, can anyone verify this ?

At least 6 MB (8 MB) RAM is recommended.
The flash disk of similar space is enough.
If you are going to use SSH, ... you need more.

> Also, what , realistically, can I expect to run on a 386 ? I want ppp,
> telnet, a skinny web-browser, and also to do some developement in
> perl/mySQL ?
>
> Thanks in advance / Colm O'Gairbhith
>
> p.s. would appreciate replies to my e-mail as well as to the newsgroup

By the way, DOS and TCP/IP library needs less power, and memory, as
well.
You can see our porting of LINUX to DIMM-PC at http://www.mite.cz,
typicaly in miteROUTER application.

Regards

V. Pohnetal

------------------------------

From: John Hovell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: FAT12 filesystem support under Linux??
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 05:11:44 GMT

Hello all --

I am trying to mount a "FAT12" filesystem under Linux.  Windows reads
this filesystem fine...

Here is what's happening:

[root@alfred /root]# mount -t msdos /dev/hde /mnt/digicam/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde,
       or too many mounted file systems
[root@alfred /root]# fdisk /dev/hde

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hde: 8 heads, 16 sectors, 500 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1   *         1       500     31982+   1  FAT12

Command (m for help):

----

Does anyone know what I am supposed to do with this??  The
Filesystems-HOWTO implies FAT12 is supported, but doesn't go into any
further detail.

I am running kernel-2.2.16-17 (Red Hat)...

Any clues/help/suggestions *at all* would be much appreciated...

TiA,
John

------------------------------

From: "Richard F. Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux support dual P2 233?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:31:30 -0400

recompile your kernel for SMP support...
read the kernel HOW-to

"metalfire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Does Red Hat 6.2 support dual P2 233 processors on the HP-XU machine with
> 128MB of RAM?
> Many Thx.

 With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Captain Gravy)
Subject: Intel 2100 internal DSL modem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:06:31 GMT

Hi guys. I have just installed mandrake 6.1 and I am now trying to get
my Intel Pro 2100 DSL modem to work with the OS. Does anyone have any
leads or definitive info they can offer to this end?

-Captain Gravy

------------------------------

From: JON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: FAT12 filesystem support under Linux??
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:28:21 +0200

John Hovell wrote:

> Hello all --
>
> I am trying to mount a "FAT12" filesystem under Linux.  Windows reads
> this filesystem fine...
>
> Here is what's happening:
>
> [root@alfred /root]# mount -t msdos /dev/hde /mnt/digicam/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde,
>        or too many mounted file systems
> [root@alfred /root]# fdisk /dev/hde
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hde: 8 heads, 16 sectors, 500 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hde1   *         1       500     31982+   1  FAT12
>
> Command (m for help):
>
> ----
>
> Does anyone know what I am supposed to do with this??  The
> Filesystems-HOWTO implies FAT12 is supported, but doesn't go into any
> further detail.
>
> I am running kernel-2.2.16-17 (Red Hat)...
>
> Any clues/help/suggestions *at all* would be much appreciated...
>
> TiA,
> John
try checking out man mount. references to fat 12 etc in there

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeForce MX
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:56:34 -0600

> >   They're compatible.
> >
> No , they're not. I have a GeForce2 MX - based card. I could NOT get
> this to work with stock RedHat Linux 6.2 (XFree86 3.x) - at least not
> better than stock VGA mode. I am told that the earlier nvidia cards
> will.

  Then I apologized, I was sucked in by the marketing mire of all of
nvidia's cards being "binary-compatible".

steve
Domain for replies is "codon"

From: Eric Dondelinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux won't boot with Thunderbird!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:59:05 +0200

Hi,

> Heh, well now linux mishandles my sound card and NIC, two pieces of hardware
> that worked flawlessly under my old mobo/cpu.  Im sure that it is just a
> problem with a somewhat buggy KT133 chipset.  I am going to upgrade to
> 2.2.17 and see if that helps.

Hmm you may want to try swapping cards around, as some PCI slots
usually share certain irqs. Check the (unofficial) FAQ for your
mobo (or just the manual), you'll find hints as what (not) to do.

Greets Eric

------------------------------

From: "Renzo Lauper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aha152x-module
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:39:29 +0100

Hi

I have a UMAX 1220S Scanner connected through an Adaptec AVA1502 SCSI-Card.
I use the following options in /etc/conf.modules

options aha152x aha152x=0x340,9,7,1,1

and I load the modules with "modprobe aha152x". This works fine,
but after a reboot I try to load the module again and I get the
following messages in /var/log/messages:

kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
kernel: scsi : 1 host.
kernel: scsi0, channel 0 : RESERVATION CONFLICT performing reset.
kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

Then it kind of repeats a similar message about 10 times.
The strange thing is, that when I start Win95, which is installed on the same
machine and I use the scanner there, then the scanner works in Linux
again. But after rebooting Linux again, the scanner won't work any more.

Any help would be very much appreciated
        Renzo Lauper

------------------------------

From: "Giancarlo Cairoli & C sas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq deskpro erratic clock with RH6.0
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:02:32 +0200

Each time Linux RH6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15) boots (no matter from a reboot or
power cycle), I get a different, erratic date and time setting. If I do the
same booting from a dos floppy, the date and clock are properly handled. Any
suggestion other than try update ?

------------------------------

From: Olger Stoelinga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which cd-rw is best for linux red hat 6.2?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:19:34 +0200

I also have a Plextor SCSI (PXW-124TS) on an Acaptec 2904 (aic7xxx module). On
a simple PentiumMMX 225 Mhz (75 Mhz FSB) I can burn@8 speed and still do
almost anything with the system. Average buffer fill was 92% (according to
cdrecord...).

I've read that Plextors BURN proof tech works but audio CDs give audible
ticks...

Cheers,

Olger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:47:30 GMT

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 05:11:44 GMT, John Hovell wrote:
>Hello all --
>
>I am trying to mount a "FAT12" filesystem under Linux.  Windows reads
>this filesystem fine...
>
>Here is what's happening:
>
>[root@alfred /root]# mount -t msdos /dev/hde /mnt/digicam/
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde,
>       or too many mounted file systems

You used the wrong fs type.  Try vfat instead of msdos.  When you look at
'man mount' way down the page it talks about using specific fat options
instead of the auto (vfat), but it advises to use with caution.  I'd just
use vfat, if I were you.

Anita

------------------------------

From: "Bruno Diviacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wrong screen resolution
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:35:50 +0100

Dear all,

during installation of RedHat Linux (6.0,6.1 or 6.2) on my Toshiba Satellite
1640CDT,
there seems to be no way to set the screen resolution to 800x600 (available and
perfectly
supported by WIN98). I also tried with no success to run the Xconfigurator once
X is started.
As a result, all windows are too big, and many applications using defaut window
size
cannot run properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bruno Diviacco

------------------------------

From: Martin Lohmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: Squid on Linux with this performance?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:21:19 +0200

I have some experience with this Problems. If you say SQUID it should
reserve 8GB of HDD space for the files, the Index file in the memory takes
over 100MB of RAM.
So, now you can calculate the Ramsize and thew Disksize. I would preffer a
7200 Harddisk (cause of the Access Time) and a single Celeron/Pentium II.

"Petr Nachtmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:8pnoio$de4m7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I need a transparent HTTP proxy cache with similar performance: 150
> URL/second, 2000-4000 simultaneous TCP connections.
>
> Which PC hardware configuration should be sufficient? What about the file
> system?
>

> Petr

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Oga)
Date: 15 Sep 2000 05:39:31 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hovell) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[root@alfred /root]# mount -t msdos /dev/hde /mnt/digicam/
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde,
>       or too many mounted file systems
>
>Disk /dev/hde: 8 heads, 16 sectors, 500 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 bytes
>
>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hde1   *         1       500     31982+   1  FAT12
>
>Any clues/help/suggestions *at all* would be much appreciated...

Hi,
   Offhand, I'd say your problem is that you are trying to mount the wrong
thing.  In the fdisk output, we see that the partiton you want to mount
is /dev/hde1.  In the mount command above, you are trying to mount /dev/hde,
which is probably not what you want.  The following should work:

mount -t msdos /dev/hde1 /mnt/digicam

-Harold
--
"Life sucks, deal with it!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Can't get Microsoft Wheel mouse to work
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:53:27 +0000 (UTC)

My new PS/2 micro$oft wheel mouse keeps exhibiting strange
behaviour.  I'm running Red Hat 6.2, Kernel 2.2.14-5.0,
XFree86 3.3.6-20, imwheel 0.9.6-9, and gpm 1.18.1-7.

I ran mouseconfig and set it up to be a microsoft intellimouse.
I've selected imps2 as the protocol both with gpm and in my
XF86Config file.  Sometimes when I exit X, and return to the
console, the keyboard and mouse will not respond.  If I telnet
in from my other machine and shut down gpm, I can get the
keyboard back.  I also get the following messages in my
/var/log/messages file:
Sep 14 21:45:10 WillyC gpm[574]: Error in protocol
Sep 14 21:45:11 WillyC last message repeated 63 times

The number of times ranges from a few to several hundred!

I've also tried to set it up as just a plain old PS/2 3 button
mouse (which the box said was supposed to work), but no success
there either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben Logan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Wozniak)
Subject: Re: Re: Micron Clientpro PCI problems with RedHat Linux 6.2
Date: 15 Sep 2000 13:59:28 +0200

>  [Previous]   [Next]   [Reply]   [Index]  [Home]  [Find]
>

>                                                                           E=0
>VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=NO BORDERCOLOR="#000000">
>
>    * Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware
>    * From: muser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    * Subject: Re: Micron Clientpro PCI problems with RedHat Linux 6.2
>    * Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 05:22:53 +0800

> >you _do_ have PC PnP set to "manual" in the BIOS right ?

      The Micron DX5000 uses the 3DLabs Oxygen Video Bios v2.16.  The BIOS
      Configuration Manager does not give me the option to set the PC PnP.
      However, I did disable Plug n Play when I configured the kernel and this
      did not help.

   > Hmm.. any relation to Steve ?

        I could only wish :-).

--
Edward Wozniak
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

--
Posted from chopin.psc.edu [128.182.63.52]

From: Peter Budding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Modem on ASUS L7300-E notebook?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:46:41 +0200

Marte,

See: http://www.lectron.com.tw/Linux.htm

Did you managed to get the sound working, please let me know....

Thanks,
Peter

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson USB scanner trouble
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 15 Sep 2000 07:50:52 -0500

I'm having trouble installing my EPSON Perfection 636U USB scanner.

I did all of the things I think I'm supposed to:

1) Updated my 2.2.16 kernel with the backport patch, set USB options, recompiled,
installed usbcore, etc. I tried using 2.4.0-test7 but it keeps panicking on me.

Here are the installed modules (of importance):

scanner                 4788   0 (unused)
uhci                   20148   0 (unused)
usbcore                48008   0 [scanner uhci]

2) The /proc filesystem has the info on my scanner:
14 % cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S:  Product=USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
S:  SerialNumber=e400
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=0101 Rev= 1.04
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=Perfection636
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbscanner
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms

I also got sane-1.0.1, patched it for USB (off a USB page), set
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf:

15 % cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
usb /dev/usb/scanner0

Of course, having made the device:

18 % ls -la /dev/usb/scanner0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,  48 Sep 13 19:25 /dev/usb/scanner0

Every tool I use tells me the scanner is there, but scanimage can't find it:

19 % scanimage -L
20 %

Any ideas? Sometimes scanimage would hang- now it just replies with nothing.

Thanks,

Roger

From: SteveW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: 15 Sep 2000 12:59:37 GMT

A single PII and an 8Gb disk for 2000-4000 simultaneous connections?  Surely
thats nowhere near adequate for a large cache?  An IDE disk cant do a random
seek anywhere near fast enough for 150 gets/min.

I would have thought for such a big cache you'd go for something more like
a NetApp NetCache with a suitably big disk array and ram.

Or if you want to stick with generic pc hardware, at least get a hardware
raid solution and a big juicy machine...

IMHO

Steve

P.S. did you need to crosspost this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Any compat. S7 mobo. with AV?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:53:32 GMT

Can anyone recommend a GNU/Linux compatible super 7 motherboard which
has both video (XFree 86 support) and audio support (without expensive
(in anyway non-free) 3rd party drivers) onboard? It would also be
preferable if it had onboard an ethernet nic.
I intend to use this to make an in-car computer for which I will release
all the details and offer to help anyone else build, if I can build one
for myself.
Thanks,
Neil Simon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/