Linux-Hardware Digest #582, Volume #9             Sat, 6 Mar 99 16:13:40 EST

Contents:
  Epson Stylus Color 850N or Ne? (Jim Kannengieser)
  Hardware Accelerated OpenGL? (Jason McKnight)
  Re: mke2fs: option -m0 possible/necessary ? (Robert Nichols)
  Re: Motarola K56 Voice Surfer ("Colonel Panic©")
  Re: Zoom modem and Linux ("Jose M. Urena")
  Intel 740 Help (Kaveh Milaninia)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Robert Krawitz)
  Iiyama 450 modelines (Vincent Cunniffe)
  Installing ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X with XFree (Martin Boyer)
  STB Velocity 4400 / Red Hat 5.1 (Mats Danielsson)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Robert Krawitz)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Robert Krawitz)
  Re: SIS6326 problem with RH5.1 (sailorsm)
  sis6326 display card. (sailorsm)
  Re: SIS 6236  PROBLEMS WITH XWINDOWS. (sailorsm)
  To Michal regarding Netgear card (Mats Danielsson)
  Re: USB mouse: problem (brian whitaker)
  Need config Help for Boca 33.6 FD34FSVD ("Thom")
  Re: Fixed Frequnecy video card support on a PC (Dan Eble)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 850N or Ne? (brian whitaker)
  Disbale DMA, ide reset timed out ("Enrico Ladendorf")
  JTAG? (Kevin Stratton)
  Re: AWE64 sound problems | more (Wildman, the Cuberstalker)

From: Jim Kannengieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson Stylus Color 850N or Ne?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:05:33 -0500

Has anyone used the Epson Stylus 850N or Ne with Linux? How well does it
work? I am interested in this printer for my network, but I don't want
to rush in. Also, is it possible to assign the printer an IP address
without the use of Windows or the Mac OS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Jim

------------------------------

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware Accelerated OpenGL?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:48:25 -0500

I know Mesa works with Voodoo, but I have a TNT and would like to stay
with it for a while. Any work being done in that area?

tia,

Jason McKnight

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Nichols)
Subject: Re: mke2fs: option -m0 possible/necessary ?
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 08:11:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dieter Rohlfing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:The -m <number> option with mke2fs reserves <number> percent of the
:space on the device for the superuser, <number> defaults to 5 (according
:to the man page). On a 1 GB partition it cost you 50 MB.
:
:Is there any need for a percentage > 0 for this option? When is the
:reserved space used? What are the disadvantages, if I specify -m0?

The ext2 file system will lose its ability to resist fragmentation if
the amount of free space falls too low.  There may be situations where
using every bit of space is more important than the performance loss due
to fragmentation, but for most cases 5% reserved space is a reasonable
tradeoff.

BTW, you can use 'tune2fs' to adjust the amount of reserved space -- no
need to re-make the file system to change that.

--
Bob Nichols         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key.

------------------------------

From: "Colonel Panic©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motarola K56 Voice Surfer
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 13:33:42 -0500

ive been using Motorola VoiceSurfr K56for 6 months now, reflashed to V90...
this is a PNP modem, but i have a utility(LTDIAG.EXE originally for a
Logicode 56-wp 9winmodem, BOO!) to address any INT & I/O settings....
need the utility?? just e-mail..
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Jose M. Urena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom modem and Linux
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:16:59 -0500

v90 connections can not be reached from user modem to user modem.
You can not call another analog modem and expect faster than 33600 connections

try calling a local BBS or school that supports v90 connection, they have
special

"Jonathan D. Oman" wrote:

> I have tried to be very careful to insure that all parts of the system are
> pointed to the new modem.  I don't think I have missed anything.

[snip]

> The new 56k modem has the Lucent chipset.  I went to their site the other
> night, and downloaded their documentation on the AT command set.  They
> mentioned a +V90=x command to put it into V90 mode.  Tried it, but the modem
> gave me an error!  Also, they did not have the +MS=.... command, and when I
> tried to use it, I got an error.  You would think that if it has a Lucent
> chipset, it would understand the Lucent AT command set!

[snip]

------------------------------

From: Kaveh Milaninia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel 740 Help
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 08:18:37 -0800

All,

    Does anyone know how to get an Intel 740 Graphics card to work with
Linux X11 or does anyone have any drivers for it.I searched for in on
the redhat website, but all the link of relevance seem to be broken. If
anyone could help me out with this problem I would really appreciate it.

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 06 Mar 1999 14:00:13 -0500

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > That interpretation is simply incorrect.  Virtual addresses (which are
> > the only kind that normal instructions ever deal with in protected
> > mode) are 32 bits wide, just as in all x86 processors from the 80386
> > on up.  The processor (in hardware, by referring to the page tables)
> > translates these virtual addresses into physical memory addresses.
> > It's immaterial how wide the physical address bus is.  The physical
> > address bus could be 20 bits wide (not that I'd care to use such a
> > machine), or 32 bits wide, or 40 bits wide.  The kernel sets up the
> > mapping between virtual addresses and physical memory; the processor
> > actually performs the mapping in hardware, and the user code never
> > knows the difference.
>
> riddle me this, how can i have more than 4 GB of data accessible from
> one program?

You can't (via direct memory addressing), but suppose I want to have
several dozen memory-hungry processes all running concurrently?  This
is not normally the case for desktop systems, and is seldom a problem
for http servers and such, but for heavy commercial data processing,
with parallel databases, it's a perfectly normal state of affairs.
Folks, the issue is not the single-process VM limit, it's the total
amount of memory available to all processes in the system!

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: Vincent Cunniffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iiyama 450 modelines
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:17:20 +0000

Has anyone got modelines for XFree86 for running an
Iiyama VisionMaster 450 (SG901T) at the full 1600x1200 mode?

Post or email me if you got 'em :-)

Regards,

Vin

------------------------------

Subject: Installing ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X with XFree
From: Martin Boyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 1999 11:12:52 -0500

Hi,

A friend of mine (who doesn't have access to the Usenet) is trying to
install his graphics card on Linux.  Unfortunately, he can't find the
proper XFree driver for it.  I'd appreciate any info on this.

Here's his configuration:

ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X
Suse Linux 5.3
XFree (I don't know the exact version, but he told me it's the latest)

Thanks.

Martin

------------------------------

From: Mats Danielsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: STB Velocity 4400 / Red Hat 5.1
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 14:44:21 -0500

I'm trying to configure my Velocity 4400 (8Mb RAM) for Red Hat 5.1, but
no success so far. I was recommended by STB to download drivers from
www.d128.com, but I can't get the drivers to work. When I choose
'Unlisted Card' and then 'SVGA' in Xconfigurator (after replacing the
XF86_SVGA with the downloaded version), the software can't determine the
amount of RAM etc. Nor can I run X. I'm new in the world of Linux, so
I'd really appreciate if anyone with the same card could give me some
hints about how to install it. I am getting sick of the VGA16 mode...

cheers
Mats

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 06 Mar 1999 14:05:28 -0500

"David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Again this depends on the application.    If there is a need to address more
> than 4GB of memory then the system and libraries must support that.

If there is a need for a single process to directly address more than
4 GB of memory, this is true.  However, a single application may
consist of many processes, each of which requires less memory than
this but in toto requires far more.

For examples of such applications, please see:

http://www.torrent.com/press/intelopenworld.htm

http://www.torrent.com/press/Rudin.htm

DISCLAIMER: I work for Torrent Systems, Inc., but this post reflects
my personal opinions and not those of Torrent Systems.

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 06 Mar 1999 14:28:42 -0500

(Responding to several posts in one response)

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote in message ...

> > >but these are not `most purposes'.  the big ram user will almost
> > >certainly need a shitload of ram for *one* process.  otherwise, you'd
> > >just buy more machines and run one of the big (but not humongous)
> > >processes on each.

The first statement (by Johan Kullstam) is flat out wrong, and I've
posted some references to just such applications.  The second
statement implicitly assumes that the overall work is embarrassingly
parallel or close to it.

[For those not familiar with the term, "embarrassingly parallel" means
that the data can be broken up into equal chunks with no reference to
any of the other chunks.  Therefore, no communication of data is
required.  For example, matrix addition is embarrassingly parallel.
It is done by adding the corresponding elements in each of the two
matrices to produce the sum.  I'm not certain where this term was
coined, but it was in use at least 10 years ago, when I was at
Thinking Machines Corp.]

> i was responding to someone who thought that you might need more than
> 4 GB of RAM yet no single process needed more than 4 GB (in order to
> avoid `far' pointers).  if you need the BIG RAM, it is because you
> have ONE task which requires it.  7 tasks needing 1 GB each would be
> better served running one after another in series on a smaller machine
> or spread over several smaller boxes.

Oh, really?  What about if my job consists of applying several
processing operations in turn to a series of records?  Suppose several
of those operations require random-access lookups against very large
lookup tables?  If my system is an SMP or NUMA, I lose big time by
sequencing the processing steps, because I can only use one
processor.  This kind of job can really take advantage of an SMP, but
it eats memory like a pig.  If I'm using an RDBMS such as Oracle, the
database will chew memory also if I have to do big joins.  And
databases such as Oracle and Informix and DB/2 are quite capable of
taking advantage of multiprocessing capability.

I'm really not interested in arguing whether or not QCD or finite
element analysis should be done on Intel boxes.  What I'm talking
about is something very different.

From: sailorsm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS6326 problem with RH5.1
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 20:55:32 +0800

goto the "XFree86€É ¯Å ¿ì ªk"
http://www.hope.com.tw/cdmag/cd9710/L2.HTML

------------------------------

From: sailorsm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sis6326 display card.
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 20:57:27 +0800

hello:
      I'm using Slackware 3.6 distribution, and use sis6326 display
card.
When i installed the X-windows, The windows show only 320*200*256. I
look some docunment said that older x-windows not support sis6326, so i
download the xfree86 3.3 . when i installed it and type "startx" start.
The
windows sometime show black or white screen. only have the icon but
below no words show. Use the mouse click on the screen, the colour
changed  , red , green, blue, black, yellow...etc. Any one can help me?

------------------------------

From: sailorsm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS 6236  PROBLEMS WITH XWINDOWS.
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 21:16:33 +0800

i use sis6326 , and xfree86 3.3.3 . it can start x-windows but the
screen show only icon no any works. and auto change colour on the screen
when i use mouse click on the screen.

------------------------------

From: Mats Danielsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: To Michal regarding Netgear card
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:16:54 -0500

Michal,

I am not I understand you. Is the included driver obsolete? I am
currently trying to get my card running under Red Hat 5.1, but no
success so far. I'd really like to get my card running without getting a
new one. I tried to use the tulip-driver in Red Hat 5.1, but I wasn't
sure which Base I/O address to choose. I'm not good at those things, but
what I did was to check in Win98 what address and IRQ the card uses, and
just apply it to Linux. Would that work?

thanks,
Mats

------------------------------

From: brian whitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB mouse: problem
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 11:56:21 -0800

a buddy at mine down at Cal Poly, SLO (CA) just picked up a USB mouse --
the intent was to write a 3button mouse driver for Linux... i haven't
looked for an existing driver, but i'd like to think that my friend
would have before he started this project... i'm sure that there are
several people doing the same thing concurrently...

brian...
.

------------------------------

From: "Thom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need config Help for Boca 33.6 FD34FSVD
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 01:37:49 -0600

I am running Linux Mandrake 5.3 (Built on Red Hat Linux 5.2) and I am trying
to configure an ISA PnP Boca 33.6 Mod#FD34FSVD. Has anyone had any success
with this or similar modems? If so, what do I put in the conf file for
isapnptools? I've tried unsuccessfully to warm boot into Linux from Windows
thereby preserving the configuration of this PnP device.

PLEEEEEASE HELP!!!!

Thom

------------------------------

From: Dan Eble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fixed Frequnecy video card support on a PC
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 15:10:43 -0500

On 6 Mar 1999, NeoSoftSys wrote:

> I have a few 20" Sun monitors, but they require fixed-frequency video cards.
> What cards are support fixed-frequency on a PC/Linux system? Can't I use
> something like a Matrox or soem other card where I can controll all settings of
> the card?

You can use any SVGA card with a decent bandwidth.  You won't get a usable
image until you get far enough into the boot to run SVGATextMode or X, so
keep a spare 12" monitor under your desk for when you need to access the
BIOS setup program or debug some flakey hardware.

You'll also want to read the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO if you don't know
how video timing works.

Also make sure that if the monitors require sync-on-green the video card
you choose will be able to provide it.

--
__  ___ _ ____ _ __
| \/-||\| |-|<.| |-    Please use this address:
`-'` '` ` `-`-'`-`-'      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: brian whitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 850N or Ne?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 12:08:21 -0800

i've got the 850N -- the thought was i could use it from my Mac and from
my (then) dual-boot windows/slackware intel box... from the Mac, its a
dream... but i jumped in before doing research on how to set up a
printer for Linux...

hopefully, someone with more knowledge will pick up this thread and clue
me in, but my experience has been that i have to FTP to the printer,
SEND a file (with an EOF/form feed identifier), and then quit... this
gives text only, and as of yet, i don't know how to do any formatting...

"lp" has these 'magic filters' that can help define margins, page size
and stuff like this -- i don't know how to set any of this up...  in
hindsight, knowing what little i know, it would have made more sense to
invest in a  networked postscript printer...

as to setting up the printer without the setup routines in macos or
winblows, the documentation never mentioned the ability to do this... i
would suspect not.

hope this helps :)

brian...
.

------------------------------

From: "Enrico Ladendorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disbale DMA, ide reset timed out
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 14:48:12 -0600

Here is a problem I have been having whenever I copy/access a large file.
This causes my computer to hang irreversibly.  Actually, I first experienced
this problem when I tried upgrading from Redhat 4.1 to 5.2 from cdrom.  It
would hang when copying the .rpm files and give the following message.  I
found a way around it, but now if I try to install a large .rpm (or copy a
large file) it will do the same thing.

Here is the error msg:

hdb: irq timeout: status=058 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: disabled DMA
hdb: disabled DMA

ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdb: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdb: drive not ready for command

hdb is a Maxtor 1606TA w/ DMA enabled
kernel 2.0.36
Redhat 5.2
Pentium 133
430VX chipset

I have seen MANY messages complaining about this error, but none have fixed
it.  I found some msgs posted by Linus himself in which he couldn't figure
out the problem.  Does anyone know if it ever got solved?  Some mentioned
black-listing Maxtor or some motherboard chipsets, but this seems like a bad
idea since it effects so many people.

I appreciate any help,
Enrico Ladendorf

From: Kevin Stratton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: JTAG?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 17:00:45 -0500

Does anyone know of a JTAG package/project foe linux?  For those who are
interested, JTAG is a standard serial interface to some integrated
circuits that allows for boundary scanning and other operations.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wildman, the Cuberstalker)
Crossposted-To: rice.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: AWE64 sound problems | more
Date: 6 Mar 1999 21:02:47 GMT

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 10:02:30 -0600, Mark Covington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
[IRQ conflict]

Well, how about editing /etc/conf.modules and change the irq to 7, and
edit /etc/isapnp.conf changing the IRQ 5 to IRQ 7?

--
The Wildman     ICQ# 32609427
Fight spam - http://www.spamfree.org