Linux-Hardware Digest #582, Volume #13           Sat, 16 Sep 00 01:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Mobile Disk Rack ("Jason")
  Re: TV tunner card for Linux --have specific requirements ("Jason")
  Re: which cd-rw is best for linux red hat 6.2? ("Matt O'Toole")
  Insulated or Non-Insulated metal standoffs for Motherboards (mike)
  Re: Setting up printer (BJ200) (Josef Oswald)
  Changing graphics card (Peter Nunn)
  Re: Linux with dual P90's ("kanger")
  Need help for using a usb-webcam. (Michelangelo van Dam)
  Re: kernel: Unexpected IRQ Vector 216 on CPU0? (Chris Rankin)
  no floppy (Alan Needleman)
  Linux and Digital Cameras... (David Hostetler)
  Re: mobile rack dangers?, ata33/66 (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: ls120 ("Gene Heskett")
  Running Internal ATAPI Zip 100 on RH 6.2 ("David Hardy")
  Samba with 2 NICs Question ("Doubt")
  Re: Linux and Digital Cameras... ("Ozetechnology")
  Re: Embedding linux (Brad Remedios)
  Re: Opinions:  An Adequate Starter System? (George W.)
  Re: UPS / Backup drives (Kenneth Porter)
  Re: Trackballs. Anyone using one? (Brad Remedios)
  Re: HP tape surestore dat40i ? (Kenneth Porter)
  Re: UPS suggestions? (Kenneth Porter)
  Re: Dell Perc 2/si (Kenneth Porter)

From: "Jason" <Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: Mobile Disk Rack
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:13:23 -0500

I use removable racks on all my machines..  Do yourself a favor, spend the
few bucks extra to get ones that have fans in the rack.  It makes a lot of
difference.   I used to just take and set my two boot drives to master and
then just swap them out when I want to boot a new OS.   I have 60 gig drives
now though, so I don't swap drives a lot.  REMEMBER.  IDE does NOT like to
hot swap.  POWER YOUR MACHINE DOWN before you take that drive out.  Sure it
may work without doing so, but you can bet you are taking a major risk
everytime you do.

--
                         Jason
          www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: "Jason" <Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: TV tunner card for Linux --have specific requirements
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:17:20 -0500

Tivo is your friend

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which cd-rw is best for linux red hat 6.2?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:02:21 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Just follow the advice of general purpose reviews. The quality
> of the device will probably be more of an issue for you than
> any Linux specific issues.

The general purpose reviews seem to be very Windows specific.  They report
nothing of hardware quality, focusing on the supplied (Windows) software
instead.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Insulated or Non-Insulated metal standoffs for Motherboards
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:11:53 -0400

Hi,
    I was reinstalling a Pentium motherboard and realized
that the board was not secure and two brass standoffs were
missing. There was one there origionlly making three total.
The other standoffs are plastic.
   The origional brass standoff  had a screw with a fiber
washer going through the motherboard. I wasn't sure
if I should put fiber washers on the other two screws or
additionally I should put one fiber washer under
the motherboard inbetween the brass standoffs and the
motherboard so that the motherboard could be completely
insulated from ground.
  There are three silver washer shaped metal plated surfaces
on the motherboard around each hole where the screws go for the brass
standoffs. There are no corresponding metal plated disk
surfaces under the motherboard on top of the brass standoffs.
  I would like to know the issues involved. Someone once told
me that a motherboard could be shorted out if it was improperly
grounded. My friend says that the motherboard pads (silver disk
surfaces) are for grounding to help cut down on radio frequency
interferance.
   So far I have put fiber washers above and below the
motherboard for safety, initially, as I was told that
you could run a motherboard out of its case.
  Are there general guidelines about this. I have gone on the
internet sites which tell how to install motherboards an
some articles don't mention the issue and others have
different thoughts on the subject of grounding screws.

                                                Thanks
                                                            Mike

Subject: Re: Setting up printer (BJ200)
From: Josef Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:55:28 GMT

Hi:-)
would this link help?

http://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_en.cgi?

--
Josef Oswald [EMAIL PROTECTED]
registered-linux-user # 13.818 at http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: Peter Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing graphics card
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:09:31 +1100

hi all, just a quick question for you hardware types.

I have a Linux box that I'm using as a gateway that is headless at the
moment so I want to pull the matrox card out of it to use elsewhere
and replace it with an S3 card.

I do remote X logins to the box using gdm (gnome xdm) and am wondering
what trouble I am going to get myself into if I do this.

Anything to look out for?

How should I go about re-configuring the system once I do the hardware
change?

Thanks.

Peter

Peter Nunn
DownUnder

------------------------------

From: "kanger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux with dual P90's
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:23:39 -0400

Hey,, I run Redhat 6.2 on an HP dual p90! with onboard SCSI .. it
works fine.. only problem i ran into was it wouldnt install untill i
went into the BIOS and switched the Dos Ram to 640kb instead of 512k..
was getting an error sayin i needed at least 608k dos ram.. anyhow the
only problem i have run into is it isnt super fast and freezes
sometimes when loading netscape.. but hey who needs netscape? !
good luck !
-Ethan

Gereon Wenzel wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
It's not a big deal.
you just have to compile your kernel with the SMP flag set.
running an Asus P54NP4 PCI/EISA with 2x 133 Pentium for month now.

Gereon Wenzel
Aachen/Germany

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 02:52:46 +0200
From: Michelangelo van Dam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help for using a usb-webcam.

Dear members,

I'm trying to get a webcam working for my Linux box, but unfortunately I
can only get it working on a MS-Windows box.

My system is a PII-400 with an Intel Motherboard. The webcam is a EC-300
system from Vikings computer systems.

This is the rest of info I can give:

Kernel
Linux voodoo 2.2.16 #5 SMP Wed Sep 13 23:49:40 CEST 2000 i686 unknown

USB Devices (/proc/bus/usb/device)
T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
S:  SerialNumber=ef80
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms

Modules loaded
Module                  Size  Used by
cpia_usb                4224   0  (unused)
cpia                   51972   0  [cpia_usb]
usb-uhci               22272   0  (unused)
usbcore                44520   0  [cpia_usb usb-uhci]

/etc/fstab entries
usbdevfs        /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        defaults 0 0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0

But with all this still nothing. Can someone help me?

Mike ;)
                  Linux - the power of today's generation!

From: Chris Rankin <au.zipworld.com@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: Re: kernel: Unexpected IRQ Vector 216 on CPU0?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:03:55 +1100

Gal Goldschmidt wrote:
> I just managed to install Linux (2.2.17) on a SuperMicro 370DLE (
> ServerWorks Chip Set )
> 512M Registered ECC
> 2x 733 PIII
> Mylex 170
> ATI 4M Rage PCI

I suspected a Supermicro board, somehow. Check your dmesg output and see
what happened with the IO-APIC initialisation. You may have to add the
"noapic" option to your lilo parameters to stablise the thing.

I think that the problem is that the IO-APICs are of a version unknown
to Linux; if you have any more complete information about what went
wrong then maybe you could send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED], or to
the IO-APIC maintainer?

Chris

------------------------------

From: Alan Needleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no floppy
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:33:31 GMT

Hi,

Linux no longer recognizes my floppy. I don't think it is a hardware
problem because I have no trouble if I try to access it under windows.
If I

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

I get the response

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Is it possible, my fd0 device file got munged? A directory listing
doesn't suggest that

ls -l /dev/fd0

returns

brw-rw----   1 root  floppy     2,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/fd0

The floppy worked fine until a few days ago. Any suggestions much
appreciated.

Alan

------------------------------

From: David Hostetler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Digital Cameras...
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:44:01 -0500

Is there any way I can get the pics out of my Casio QV-11 digital camera
into my Linux box without having to resort to booting up a windows
machine?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: mobile rack dangers?, ata33/66
Date: 16 Sep 2000 02:27:45 GMT

"Robert A. Barr" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> QZ wrote:
>
>> So who makes a cartridge that is plastic with a fan or metal? I am
>> considering eiware's Hot Data Shuttle cartridge and Hot Shadow software, but
>
> Try http://www.computergate.com
>
> Their selection is pretty wide.  This might complicate rather than simplify your
> search, but they also have a catalog that explains everything pretty well.

Just make sure you don't buy anything you think you might actually have to
return. It took me about 2 or 3 months to get a refund for a defective
(DOA) HD I returned to them.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = Justin Willoughby   =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = I use SlackWare!!   =

------------------------------

Date: 15 Sep 2000 22:23:27 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ls120

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Tristan White;

 TW> How do I use/mount and ls120 drive in redhat 6.2?

'mkdir /mnt/ls120' (if you haven't already done so)

'mount -t whatever-filesystem-is-on-the-disk /dev/hdX /mnt/ls120'

Where the X is whatever ide address its hooked to (a/b/c/d), I have an
early one on /dev/hdd, works just fine if you don't mind the noise of
shelling corn the drives all make.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "David Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running Internal ATAPI Zip 100 on RH 6.2
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:31:58 GMT

I can't for the life of me get my zip 100 internal drive to. I installed it
after I install RH6.2 and it detected it on bootup, but thats it. I don't
know where to find out where it is and I can't get the driver that I
downloaded from Iomega ti install. I am a Newbie so any help needs to be
step by step please,

From: "Doubt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba with 2 NICs Question
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:43:29 -0500

Okay, I have a new build of Redhat installed on a box, and I have Samba
configured and running.  I have two network cards in this Linux box, one
which is 10mbit and goes to an Internet gateway.  The other is a 100mbit
card which is a local network only.  My problem is this:  How do I configure
Samba to run over the 100mbit card, and not the 10mbit card, since the
windows machine that will be accessing the Samba network have 2 network
cards also, and are on the same networks as the Linux machine.  Basically, I
want local transfers to work at the 100mbit speed, and the internet traffic
to go through another router.  Is there a way in Linux to specify which
network the client should use?  If i was connecting to it via IP Addresses I
could just specify the respective IPs .. Like '\\192.168.0.1\login' ..
however it is accessed like '\\Samba\login' (Samba being the netbios name
for the Linux box on the network).  Anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks.

Doubt

------------------------------

From: "Ozetechnology" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Digital Cameras...
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:45:24 +1100

Have a look at gphoto, you can get it from freshmeat, supports lots of
cemera's, I found it works well with no problems at all with my ancient
olympus digital cemera

David

Site: www.ozetechnology.com
+++ New Images in the Gallery +++

------------------------------

From: Brad Remedios <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Embedding linux
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:55:30 GMT

Intrinsyc Software Inc.  Has a board (called the CerfBoard) that Lineo's
and MontaVistas distros run on.  It uses the SA1110
(http://www.intrinsyc.com)

--
Brad Remedios ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: George W. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Opinions:  An Adequate Starter System?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:58:13 GMT

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 05:52:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bento
Loewenstein) wrote:

>On Sat, 20 May 100 03:35:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>I have the opportunity of picking up a mini-tower Pentium 133 machine
>>(Intel VX motherboard) with a 250W PS, 3 gig IDE HD, 4 Meg Matrox
>>video card, generic sound card, 64 megs 60ns RAM, 56k Winmodem, which
>>will be 86'd in favor of an external real 56K modem; 12x CD-ROM
>>(bootable), and a 1.44 floppy.  It has Windows98 currently installed,
>>which will be wiped completely before installing Linux.
>Nice hardware for learning purposes.
>

>>Also, any suggestions on the best Linux distribution for the neophyte?
>>That is, no brains required installation, works well enough the first
>>time, tweeking and fiddling can wait until later.  I am considering
>>Debian, but the Stormix distro seems better, install and setup-wise.
>
>Avoid Debian and Slacware if you're new to Linux. This distros are suposed
>to be used by experienced users. They're extremelly hard to install and
>configure, and most of the administrative tasks are done by hand. RedHat
>is a breeze to install if compared with Debian and Slack, and it has
>linuxconf as default admin utility, which makes it easyer to maintain.
>SuSe has a similar tool called Yast and Caldera has COAS wich are very
>easy too.
>
>If you want an easy distro based on Debian Corel is Ok. It's one of the
>easyest I've ever seen. Another option is the brazilian distro Conectiva.
>It's based on RedHat, but is as easy a Corel to install, and comes with
>liunuxconf too.
>

>Bento.

The best advice I ever got as a newbie:  Make sure you can still dual
boot to Windows 95/98.  It's invaluable when troubleshooting if you
can see if some piece of hardware works in Windows but not Linux, or
vice-versa.  Plus, if you don't get all the documentation that came
with the hardware (or if there never was any documentation), windows
can do a good job if discovering hardware configuration, IRQ settings,
etc.

Just my two cents-

Still A Newbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Porter)
Subject: Re: UPS / Backup drives
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:12:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Kristiansen) wrote in <8obcik$fac$1@oslo-
nntp.eunet.no>:

>When it comes to the UPS I don't have a
>clue..  could someone enlighten me, please? :)

For UPS software, check out Network UPS Tools (NUT),
http://www.exploits.org/nut/.

------------------------------

From: Brad Remedios <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trackballs. Anyone using one?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:17:13 GMT

The Logitech Marble Trackman plus are sweet.  even the mouse wheel
works!! without imwheel (except in kdevelop and netscape)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Porter)
Subject: Re: HP tape surestore dat40i ?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:34:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Kloska) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Does anyone work with the HP surestore dat40i (DDS4) tape under RedHat
>6.1 ?

Don't know about the 40i, but the 24i works like a champ on my 6.1 system.
I do nightly full backups (about 12 gb) and had to replace it once (under
warranty) after about 1.5 years of service. HP cross-shipped the
replacement so I wouldn't have any extra down time.

The NT4 server next to it has an identical drive purchased at the same time
and I borrowed it for the couple days I took to isolate the problem. It's
still running a comparable nightly backup after 1.75 years in service.

I'd say these drives have done more to reduce my stress levels than any
other purchase. I can sleep at night confident that my data is safe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Porter)
Subject: Re: UPS suggestions?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:40:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Kufrovich) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  A serial port connection is a necessity for
>automated shutdowns, if necessary (gotta get COM3 or 4 working, as 1 and 2
>are taken already.)

You only need contact closures for automated shutdown. Look at the UPS
HOWTO for info on how to wire the contacts to the PC's RS232 port.

A true UPS RS232 port is useful for monitoring the UPS (eg. voltage. load
level, battery capacity). Check out http://www.exploits.org/nut/ for a
Linux package that performs this kind of monitoring. It's organized to
allow monitoring and control of one UPS from another machine, such as when
you have a single UPS manager machine in a room full of UPS-protected
machines. A CGI program is included so that you can monitor and control
through a web interface.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dell Perc 2/si
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:46:59 GMT

[posted and mailed]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clayton Haapala) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>What kind of performance are folks getting with Dell PowerEdge and the
>PERC controller?  Our 4300 is getting only 7Mbytes/sec writes in an
>8-drive RAID5 configuration.  RedHat 6.2 with the 2.2.16-3 kernel.
>/proc/scsi/scsi shows:

Let me know how to measure that and I'll let you know. Here's my 4200
setup, with 2 3-drive RAID5 arrays:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1537A           Rev: L907
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: NEC      Model: CD-ROM DRIVE:464 Rev: 1.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: 6UW BACKPLANE    Rev: 7
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID5  8176R Rev: U.77
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD1 RAID5 34796R Rev: U.77
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02