Linux-Hardware Digest #598, Volume #9             Mon, 8 Mar 99 08:13:32 EST

Contents:
  Disk > 8.4 Gbytes with Redhat 5.2 ("Philip Nelson")
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers ("Markos Berndt")
  Re: CD RW - Awful simple question (Volker Widor)
  Re: midi (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: help with modem?? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Problem mounting SCSI (Plextor) CD-ROM... help? (slack3.6) (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: serial connection to ttyS0 (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (brian moore)
  Install SCSI (JPn)
  HP DeskJet 520 top margin problem. (Dennis van Dok)
  Re: running executable from cdrom? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Film Scanners for Linux? (gus)
  3DNow!, SSE optimization? (Daniele Bernardini)
  Scanners in Linux
  Re: Power Down with Linux? (gus)
  2 esdi hd on mca-linux (Thomas Lemm)
  Tone activated Tel Exchanges (Matt)
  Re: modutils for 2.2.2 (Phoenix)
  Re: 3rd mouse button?? (childsplay)
  Re: 3rd mouse button?? ("Alex")
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers ("Jeffrey S. Kline")
  Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project (David Damerell)
  FS: Dell Precision 610 400Mhz Xeon $2400 (Charlie Brown)

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
From: "Philip Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:10:21 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Disk > 8.4 Gbytes with Redhat 5.2

I've just become the owner of a 13 Gbyte Western Digital 13 Gbyte hard disk.

If I get my BIOS problems sorted out, will Redhat 5.2 be able to use it.

If I can't get a BIOS upgrade how does Linux live alongside Ez-Drive / Ez-BIOS and
such utilities ?

TIA

Philip Nelson
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Using OS/2 Warp and PMINews

------------------------------

From: "Markos Berndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 05:13:58 -0600

Is Jackie available "Kramers attorny in Seinfeld" :)

------------------------------

From: Volker Widor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD RW - Awful simple question
Date: 8 Mar 1999 11:18:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:       All I want to use the CD RW for is backing up Linux.
i also use my cdrw for backup.
yust create an tar-archive (zipped or not) and write it as image
to the cd.
to restore you have to make a "dd /dev/scd? | tar ..."
works realy fine ;-) you have the permissions,owners,... saved too
(not so under iso) and it is there is no easy way under win,dos,...
to sniff the cd for passwds,...

 volker

: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: midi
Date: 8 Mar 1999 11:49:30 -0800

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 02:15:33 -0300, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>P.S. cat /dev/sndstat returns:
>
>OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
>Load type: Driver loaded as a module
>Kernel: Linux espíndola 2.2.1 #1 dom fev 21 17:53:01 EST 1999 i686
>Config options: 0
>
>Installed drivers:
>
>Card config:

How different is the OSS/Free drivers from the standard kernel drivers?
I notice you have no entries in the above areas, is that normal?
My no-name ISA ESS1868 with 2.0.36 modules/drivers has:

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Wed Nov 18 14:33:40 1998 wilmarc,
Linux DigiSensei 2.0.35 #18 Sun Sep 6 04:22:54 1998 i386 unknown)
Kernel: Linux DigiSensei 2.0.36 #47 Wed Nov 18 21:13:49 1998 i386
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 5: Roland MPU-401
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,0
Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0
(SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Maybe something wasn't setup properly, the dev stuff maybe?
Note: the Roland MPU-401 is a dedicated card. I thought I disabled
the soundcard's MIDI but it plays fine, also (unless the midi file
is playing via the FM).

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Windows 3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: help with modem??
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:17:09 GMT

"ComFuMasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>setserial -v /dev/cua3 port 0x02f8   ( whatever port and whatever address)

[...]

Not quite.

Use /dev/ttyS3 instead , since the cua* ports are obsolete and will
not be supported anymore in the 2.2.* kernels.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Problem mounting SCSI (Plextor) CD-ROM... help? (slack3.6)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:19:13 GMT

Jay Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>However, when I try to actually mount the CD-ROM device (using: mount -t
>iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom)

[...]

You're mounting the wrong device. /dev/sr0 is the raw SCSI CDROM
device. Use /dev/scd0 instead .

Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: serial connection to ttyS0
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:21:54 GMT

Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm running Red Hat 5.1 and using C-Kermit 7.0 beta.
>Kermit can access ttyS0 only if I'm logged in as root.
>Any other account, I get a 'Sorry, can't open connection: ttyS0'
>message.

[...]

Check the premissions on your device file. Typically, /dev/ttyS0
is owned by root.uucp , mode 660 . Either add your userID to the
group "uucp" , or change the ownership of the device file.

Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 7 Mar 1999 20:04:26 GMT

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 05:43:42 -0500,
 Adam Wendt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I dont have the details next to me, but in the latest Mac World magazine there
> is a whole article on Linux for the Mac [PowerPC].  And the biggest suppries I
> found was that Apple was openly working on a 'Mac OS X' which runs the linux
> kernel beneath the Mac OS exterior if I'm not mistaken. If someone knows more
> please correct me.

Well, MacOS X isn't Linux.  It's based on NeXT's Unix (which in turn is
based on the CMU Mach kernel).

It is Unix(without-the-TM), though.

Apple did pay for this: http://www.mklinux.apple.com/, a port of Linux
to the Mac, using much the same structure (ie, a microkernel like Mach)
as MacOS X will use.

And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
language', Unix is the most portable OS.)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: JPn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install SCSI
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:16:28 +0100

Greetings
My motherboard doesn't feel too good and I can't find the problem, she is
killing my disk - slowly :(

Well, one solution might be scsi and I came to think of an old card of mine but
I don't know how to install it _after_ the system installation.

I would appreciate a short how-to and where to find the files.

Redhat 5.2 (2.0.36)
ASUS PCI SC200, Symbios Logic 53c810a

/Joergen Persson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dennis van Dok)
Subject: HP DeskJet 520 top margin problem.
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:36:25 GMT

Hi,

I have a HP 520 DeskJet which works fine...except for the top margin.

I use Debian 2.0 with magicfilter to let gs do the printing.

The top margin is ignored. Printing starts immediately from the edge of
the paper. There is a DIP switch that is supposed to do things with
the top margin, but it doesn't have any effect (probably only for text..).

Files with a lot of whitespace on the top come out 1.6 cm too high on the
page.

I have a similar printer, the 560C, which works fine. I don't know the cause
of this problem nor could I find it documented anywhere (with ghostscript,
or in this newsgroup). I anyone has a clue, or has had similar problems,
please let me know.

Thank you,

Dennis van Dok
--
Dennis van Dok
   If Microsoft is the answer, the question must have been:

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: running executable from cdrom?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 12:03:51 -0800

from the 'mount' man page:
 user   Allow an ordinary user to mount the  file  system.
Th                       option  implies  the  options  noexec,
nosuid, and node                      (unless overridden  by
subsequent  options,  as  in  the
        option line user,exec,dev,suid).

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Film Scanners for Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:37:06 +0000

> I'm thinking about buying a film scanner, so I've spent the last couple of
> hours trying to determine which ones have drivers available.
>
> The Nikon Coolscan series seems to have drivers readily available, but these
> scanners are over $1500 each-- out of my league.  I was hoping to find drivers
> for something like the Olympus ES-10.
>
> Does anyone have any advice for what reasonably priced film scanner has good
> driver support under Linux right now?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Although I am having problems at the moment, which confuse me so I am
unsure of who to blame ...

I have had good success for about 6 months (until my system
de-stabilised for some (as yet unknown) reason) with the HP PhotoSmart
scanner with SANE and GIMP. The interface is not as slick as the WinXX
interfaces, but it is still more than enough.

Cheers

gus

------------------------------

From: Daniele Bernardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3DNow!, SSE optimization?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 12:44:48 +0100

Do you think there is space for 3DNow! and SSE optimization in
the Linux kernel?
I'm not a developer, but I guess instructions like memory streaming
PREFETCH
or  also matrix computations related extensions could be used in some
productive way...
Regards,

Daniele
   Daniele Bernardini
   Sektion Theoretische Physik, LMU Muenchen
   Theresienstr. 37,  80805 Muenchen DEUTSCHLAND
   Tel: +49 (89) 23944378
   e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Scanners in Linux
Date: 8 Mar 1999 11:53:10 GMT

I am wondering if anyone can direct me to a program that supports
scanners in Linux, and a list of scanners that are supported.  I would
like to scan things on my Linux computer, and not have to go to the
Windows machine to do that.

Thanks!

        - Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
V: (419) 838-8104                                   F: (815) 846-9374
http://www.wcnet.org/~mtrausch                     ICQ UIN:  32369835

   "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
   curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly."
                                                - Arnold Edinborough

                   PGP Key available at my web site

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Power Down with Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:48:42 +0000

Axel Liljencrantz wrote:

> "Keith A. Folske" wrote:
>
> > How do I get linux to power down my pc like windows98 does?  I have an ATX
> > capable power supply.  When I choose shutdown in windows, it turns power
> > off.
> > I have been using "shutdown -h now" in linux, but that only halts the system
> > and does not remove power.  Anyone know how to accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith
> >
> > --
> > Keith A. Folske
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Try enabling APM and the "Power down on shutdown" option in the Kernel
> configuration, then recompile the kernel. Theoretically this should do it,
> though it didn't do the trick for me. I'd be VERY intrested to know Your
> results on this, to see if i should pursuit this further.
>
> /Axel Liljencrantz

I have a similar experience. I had powerdown working with 2.0.36. None
of 2.2.0, 2.2.1, nor 2.2.2 have worked for me. I have APM chosen and
Power Off on Shutdown compiled in kernel. halt -p, poweroff, and
shutdown -h -p now all go as far as "The System is now halted" but it
does not power off.

Due to the number of upgrade cycles my system has endured, I finally
decided a week ago to do a selective backup, a full backup, and then
fdisk all my disks (3 scsi, 1 IDE) to be closer to my actual file system
demands for space, and then to install a "clean" system with my
favourite distribution SuSE 6.0. Even before restoring anything it would
not poweroff.

It also seems to insist on putting my HP PhotoSmart scanner on device
/dev/sgb which AFAIK does not exist and should be on /dev/sg0. I am very
confused by this one as well.

Finally, a month ago my CD-RW "died" (Mitsumi 6x,2x,2x U-SCSI) and the
clean install does not fix that either so I am having the very nasty
feeling that my system has become very unstable.

I have the Buslogic / Mylex RaidPlus controller if anyone has comments
on the SCSI issues.

Anyone with any comments?

gus

------------------------------

From: Thomas Lemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 esdi hd on mca-linux
Date: 8 Mar 1999 10:52:31 GMT

Hiya!

Does anyone have Linux running with 2 esdi drives on an ibm ps2?
I get only one hd running using linux2.2.1. I even set the MAX_HD or HD_MAX
parameter in file ps2esdi.c from 1 to 2. Nothing happend. The Kernel
recognizes one drive if one is attached, (either one) but if 2 are attached
no drive is recognized and I get a time out.

Do you know about kernel parameters or arbitration levels?

Help ME!

Thomas

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.telecom,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Tone activated Tel Exchanges
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 12:28:03 +0000

 Hi,

Could someone mail me with the name of the software or hardware that is
used
by a telephone then the user is asked to enter a tone to activate a
service.

ie..

ring, ring...
Welcome..
If you are using a tone telephone press star (*)"
Press 1 to acivate service x...

Also can this this work under linux or can it activate scripts or code
to activate services
so that a PC can use them or is it a hardware only activation ?

Many thanks

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:44:11 -0600
From: Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modutils for 2.2.2

yhauser wrote:

> I've installed kernel 2.2.2 successfully just for module support (marked
> ENABLE LOADABLE MODULE SUPPORT and KERNEL MODULE LOADER). My modutils
> are 2.1.85 - they run with my old kernel 2.0.33, but they fail with
> 2.2.2.
> Can anybody give me a hint?! yves

you need modutils 2.1.121 or better. you also need a few other required
updates check the docs that came with the kernel.

------------------------------

From: childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com (no Spam)>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 3rd mouse button??
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:03:47 -0600

ok kewl, thank you very much, but ummm what do i change it to? i found the line
in the XF86Config file, but how/what to i change it to? i opend it using emacs,
now i'm stumped :(
*i'm a newbie*
thnx for your help

--
Charles "childsplay" VanDyke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
From: "Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:02:57 GMT

childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com> wrote in message
<7bvb4n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>ok kewl, thank you very much, but ummm what do i change it to? i found the
line
>in the XF86Config file, but how/what to i change it to? i opend it using
emacs,
"Uncomment" is to remove the leading '#', so that the line reads
Emulate3Buttons
instead of
#Emulate3Buttons

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:40:23 -0600

You all should have known that this has existed since the intro of Windows
95!  There was big hoopla from beta testers who found it "sending stuff over
TCP" in the background.  This is really old news. I informed people not to
use the online registration and to turn off cookies, and install a trace
monitor if they were that concerned.

Jeff

<7bvbmj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Damerell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project
Date: 08 Mar 1999 11:00:23 +0000 (GMT)

David A. Frantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Robert;
>Robert Billing wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>David Fox wrote:
>>>You could get a Pentium 233MMX thinkpad 560X from Micro Warehouse for
>>>$1299.
>>Look, chaps, if you are going to crosspost to uk.comp.os.linux, could
>>we have the prices in sterling as well please? Btw I have just picked up
>>a Libretto, that runs Linux very well, for £600 (that's about $1000).
>The GreenBack, the American Dollar, is ubiquitous.    It should be as
>familiar as the rising sun in any first world country, second and third
>world I'm not to sure about.

Er, no. Countries without strong currencies of their own tend to have more
need for the dollar. I've only ever used dollars or even known the
exchange rate while travelling.

Leaving your stupid 'America is the center of the universe' attitude
behind, the point is partly that US prices cannot be directly translated
into UK prices; the exchange rate doesn't provide an accurate idea of what
the UK price would be. In a crossposted thread like this, US specific
prices should not be sent to UK newsgroups.
--
David/Kirsty Damerell.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CUWoCS President.  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/   Hail Eris!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: FS: Dell Precision 610 400Mhz Xeon $2400
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:49:45 -0600

For Sale!

Dell Precision 610 Workstation
   (1) 400Mhz Intel Xeon Processor (512k Cache) - Dual Processor Capable.
   512Mb RAM
   4.5Gb LVD
   3DLabs Oxygen GMX
   Keyboard & 3-Button Mouse
   Built-in 10/100 FastEthernet
   WindowsNT Workstation 4.0 SP3

Asking $2400 obo (This includes FedEx COD delivery)

If interested please contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]