Linux-Hardware Digest #614, Volume #9            Wed, 10 Mar 99 00:13:31 EST

Contents:
  Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project (David Fox)
  Help Me Pick A Laptop Please (Ender Wiggin)
  Re: Screaming machine crawls when printing (Todd Ostermeier)
  Re: Disk > 8.4 Gbytes with Redhat 5.2 (Stephen La Joie)
  A Great Harware Reference (Andrew Marbach)
  Re: ATX Power Off problem (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: Screaming machine crawls when printing (L J Bayuk)
  Re: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III (David Ripton)
  Re: Power Down with Linux? (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: Tone activated Tel Exchanges (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: Q: tv tuner on a remote xterm? (Miguel Cruz)
  Rockwell Modem/HP8110i CDRW. Help please. (Kenmoberg)
  Dual Processors (Michael)
  Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM?? (Eric Lee Green)
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2??? (Lau Kin Jock)
  Re: Touchpad problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cheapest PS printer or althernative printing option ? ("David J. Lee")
  Re: Speed..Speed..Speed ("José Rui Faustino de Sousa")
  Re: Linux DSL (Colin)
  Re: Ethernet (Colin)
  Re: es1788 ("Larry Richardson")
  Netgear FA310TX LAN CArd (Thomas Lepkowski)
  Re: Matrox Millenium I under svgalib (Allen)
  Re: 33.6 USR modem with no manual (Allen)
  Re: Netgear FA310TX - telnet timeout (Eric Lee Green)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (brian moore)
  wd scsi card trouble (ps607)

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project
Date: 09 Mar 1999 17:51:24 -0800

Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 8 Mar 1999, it was written:
>
> > US prices can easily be translated into UK prices: in the UK you can
> > buy this machine from MicroWarehouse for exactly $1299 U.S. dollars
> > plus any associated shipping charges, duties, customs and tariffs.
>
> OK then if you are so sure of this I challenge you to give the exact price
> a person based in the UK would pay if they bought the system today
> including shipping to the UK (next day service), import duty and VAT.
> Don't forget to include the carriers admin charge for advanced payment of
> the VAT and import duties.

US$ 1632.66
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Ender Wiggin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Me Pick A Laptop Please
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 21:11:56 -0500

I have this box dual booting windows 98 and RH Linux 5.2.  I am on the
Windows side right now (forgive me!).

i want to purchase an inexpensive laptop to run my Linux on, so that I
can lug it around and learn more, and also so I can learn setting up
networking under linux.

I was hoping someone could direct me to a model of laptop where
everything works under Linux (soundcard, CD, modem or nic, etc.).  My
price range is not alot, I want to keep it as close to $1,000 U.S. as I
can, and definitely under $1,500.

Can anyone recommend just such a laptop?  My main concern is that all
the hardware works under Linux.  I would like to try and get a P233
(non-PII) or above it possible.

Thanks for any recommendations or advice.

Please reply to the group.

If you wish to reply by mail: EnderWiggin2 @ hotmail dot com

--
Windows are fragile; penguins aren't.
http://www.linux.org

------------------------------

From: Todd Ostermeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,utah.linux
Subject: Re: Screaming machine crawls when printing
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:16:47 -0600

It sounds like your parallel port may be in polling mode.  For
whatever off reason, this is the default for parports in the 2.2.x
kernels.  Of course, that doesn't explain why it had the same problem
with older kernels, except that the parport was probably in polling
mode then, too.  Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt and see
if that helps any.

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, James Knowles wrote:

:
: Hi,
:
: I run kernel 2.2.1 and RH5.2 on a dual P-II/400. It just screams...
: until I print something.
:
: I have an ancient HP LaserJet Series II that just will not give up the
: ghost. (Hard to justify a new laser printer while it continues to work
: great.)
:
: When I print, the system gets sluggish, the mouse in X is jerky, and
: effectively one CPU is pegged, with what xosview labels system tasks. It
: looks like the printing is either busy-waiting or blocking continually.
:
: I've run on kernels 2.0.36 and 2.1.129 with the same results. This is my
: central server and this interferes with Samba, etc. It's to the point
: where I want to do something violent, like reformat my NT computer's
: hard drive or do bad things to a Mr. Bill toy.
:
: Any ideas? I'm not familiar enough with intimate details of Linux to be
: able to guess.
:
: Thanks,
:
: James
:
:

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
From: Stephen La Joie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disk > 8.4 Gbytes with Redhat 5.2
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:35:03 GMT

Philip Nelson wrote:

> I've just become the owner of a 13 Gbyte Western Digital 13 Gbyte hard disk.
>
> If I get my BIOS problems sorted out, will Redhat 5.2 be able to use it.

Linux works with hard disk up to something like 3 terrabytes. Linux Laughs atyour puny
13 G disk. :-)

> If I can't get a BIOS upgrade how does Linux live alongside Ez-Drive / Ez-BIOS and
>such utilities ?

Easiest way is to dump EZ-Drive. It's a kludge to make your disk readable by
thecrippled and limited
Windoze operating system. Linux doesn't need it.

Worst case, you may have to make boot floppies. One with EZ-Drive on it to boot
to Windows, and one a Linux boot disk.

Or, you can ditch Windows all together... :-) I know, it's hard.

--
Chill out. It's just my opinion,
even if it IS true.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Marbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ukr.comp.hardware,alt.ibm.pc.hardware,biz.comp.hardware,chile.mercado.hardware,comp.forsale.hardware,comp.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: A Great Harware Reference
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 02:21:03 GMT

I just found a great site and I thought that I would post this so that
everyone else could now about it.  The site is System Logic
http://come.to/technocomp  They have great reviews on computer hardware
and articles about the computer industry in general.  Plus they have
articles on over-clocking.  I think that you should like it.
Have fun,
Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: ATX Power Off problem
Date: 10 Mar 1999 02:19:32 GMT

Neil Zanella  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a question pertaining to your solution: can an external modem
> actually do this? I thought you had to physically call the modem to wake
> the computer up. Are you sure that the modem can wake up the computer
> -without being called- when the power comes back on?

Wakeup with external modems usually depends on the DSR signal, due to this
decade's proliferation of crappy serial cables and interfaces. But with an
external you can configure it to bring down DSR as soon as it's turned on.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,utah.linux
Date: 9 Mar 1999 22:43:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I run kernel 2.2.1 and RH5.2 on a dual P-II/400. It just screams...
>until I print something.
>
>I have an ancient HP LaserJet Series II that just will not give up the
>ghost. (Hard to justify a new laser printer while it continues to work
>great.)
>
>When I print, the system gets sluggish, the mouse in X is jerky, and
>effectively one CPU is pegged, with what xosview labels system tasks. It
>looks like the printing is either busy-waiting or blocking continually.
>
>I've run on kernels 2.0.36 and 2.1.129 with the same results. This is my
>central server and this interferes with Samba, etc. It's to the point
>where I want to do something violent, like reformat my NT computer's
>hard drive or do bad things to a Mr. Bill toy.
>
>Any ideas? I'm not familiar enough with intimate details of Linux to be
>able to guess.

I think you should try tunelp (see man tunelp). By default the
parallel port driver doesn't use interrupts, and with tunelp you
can turn them on so it will use interrupt-driven i/o rather than polling.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:44:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nicholas Strugnell  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm putting together specs for my first ever home-built linux box. So far
>I have the following:
>
>Mobo    ASUS P5A Super 7
>Mem     64 MB CL3 PC100
>SCSI    Adaptec 2940AU
>Disk    9.19 GB Seagate ST39173
>Graph   Matrox G200 8MB AGP
>
>Originally I was thinking of just going with an AMD K6-2 400MHz but it
>would be nice to know whether I should shell out the extra for a K6-III.
>I heard that the K6-2 suffers in 'business applications' due to it's slow
>(100MHz) L2 cache. I'll be using the machine primarily for development
>(C/C++/Perl/Shell), image processing (custom software, IPW, ENVI) and
>report writing (LaTeX) along with the occasional reboot to Windows (for
>games only, naturally).

I actually bought a useful Windows program, TurboTax.  Then Intuit put
out a web version, which should have neatly fixed the portability
issue.  Except they check your browser's version string and refuse to
run if you're not using Windows or Mac, which is so evil I can't buy
any more of their products.  So I guess it's only for games.  :->

>For these uses is it worth it to get a K6-III? Does anyone have any
>benchmarks or experience (preferably under Linux) with the K6-III? The

I did an MP3-encoding comparison with a friend under Linux, my P2 vs.
his K6-2.  The P2 was significantly faster per MHz, presumably due to
L2 cache speed.

The K6-3 is still pricey, especially the 450 MHz version.  Prices should
drop as supply ramps up, but right now I think it's not a great deal.  My
preference is to avoid spending top dollar for the latest processor and
upgrade more often.

>Matrox card isn't strictly necessary for what I do (but cool for games)

The G200 is a solid 2D card but is not really a great gaming card.  The
3D is pretty but slow, and the OpenGL ICD is still buggy and incomplete.
I swapped mine for a TNT.  (If accelerated Linux 3D support comes out
for the G200 and not the TNT, then I'll feel slightly dumb.)

>and I don't care much about graphics performance bottlenecks, but I do
>need fast I/O (hence the SCSI disk).

If you haven't already, compare the 9 GB SCSI drives at
www.storagereview.com

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Power Down with Linux?
Date: 9 Mar 1999 14:12:23 GMT

John Darrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
>: >
>: > Try enabling APM and the "Power down on shutdown" option in the Kernel
>: > configuration, then recompile the kernel. Theoretically this should do it,
>: > though it didn't do the trick for me. I'd be VERY intrested to know Your
>: > results on this, to see if i should pursuit this further.
>: >
>: > /Axel Liljencrantz
>
>For me, when I did that with 2.0.36, the kernel just crashed when it tried
>to power down.  I haven't tried it with 2.2.x, ---- anyway I think its success
>depends on the BIOS of the machine.

On kernel 2.2.X, you need to use halt with option "p" (halt -p).

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To: uk.telecom,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Tone activated Tel Exchanges
Date: 10 Mar 1999 02:57:30 GMT

Leonardo L Díaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But I will really be interested in getting to recognize those tones
> from my machine.  I remember reading many (too many) years ago in
> Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar about the decoding chips.  Has anybody stayed
> up-todate on that?  Is any card around with one of those chips that
> will just tell me which button was pressed?

I have a USRobotics Sportster Voice and it more or less works for this. I'm
still working on whipping up some software (vgetty doesn't seem to be up to
the task because of weird delays and so on), but I already have basic
answering machine with remote working.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: Q: tv tuner on a remote xterm?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 02:41:00 GMT

Glenn Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have another recommendation, If you want to watch TV then watch TV on a
> TV and leave the computer to computing.

What if you have a small apartment? Don't already own a TV and don't want to
pay for another picture tube? Want to integrate your TV with speakerphone
and other things running off your computer? Need to do a lot of video
capture? Want to monkey with the video signal?

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenmoberg)
Subject: Rockwell Modem/HP8110i CDRW. Help please.
Date: 10 Mar 1999 02:49:23 GMT

I have a Rockwell HCF 56K DataFax PCI modem. Has anyone got this to work with
RedHat 5.2? I have not upgraded the kernel to 2.2 yet.

Also, Has anyone gotten the HP CDRW drive (8110i) to work with RedHat 5.2? If
so help would be appreciated there.

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual Processors
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:32:18 GMT

I want to build a Box with Duals in it but i don't know anything about
doing it. I found the tomcat v cheap.

Now the problem is everyone is telling me the i have to be real carefull
when i buy the cpu's. Quote " they have to be made one after another".
Now that is Nut!!

What do i really have to worry about. Same Mhz, maybe Rev level.

I search DejaNews but i can't find anything.

thx

mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM??
Date: 10 Mar 1999 04:06:12 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:22:31 +0100, patrick.beck <> wrote:
>Eric Lee Green wrote:
>> Upgrade to version 2.0.36 of the Linux kernel. It will properly recognize
>> your memory and fixes various important bugs.
>
>I have 128MB on my computer and I must declare them in the lilo.conf
>file as an ?append?
>text. My kernel at the time was 2.0.34 (now 2.0.36). You must specify
>your memory if
>it is over 64MB. Look at lilo.conf or kernel loading option help file or
>man.

Sorry, dude, you're wrong. 2.0.36 no longer requires you to specify your
memory if it's over 64MB. It will properly detect all the way to the 1gb
limit.

It obviously won't hurt if you still have the "mem=128M" in your append
statement in your /etc/lilo.conf, but you don't need it anymore.

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
  "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.

------------------------------

From: Lau Kin Jock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2???
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:05:24 GMT

Brian McKerr wrote:

> I had _similar_ problems - I was able to compile 2.2.2 but could not get it to
> work via lilo as I usually do (I've been using and abusing linux since '93 ! by
> the way), The exact same Kernel that would not boot from lilo was able to boot
> when I copied it to floppy with "cp vmlinuz-2.2.2 /dev/fd0" !!!!
>
> When trying to boot from lilo it stopped after LI, looking at the doco (in
> /usr/doc) it explains what the problem is, but it wasn't detailed enough to
> help me further.

The same thing happened to me, but here's the interesting part.  If I boot from a
boot floppy that I made for Caldera 1.3 and run Lilo from there, my 2.2.x
kernel works fine.  If I run it from the hd, I only get LI

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Touchpad problem
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:58:22 GMT

Hi

GPM 1.17.5 and later (from ftp.prosa.it/pub/gpm) has support for synaptics
touchpad's.  I haven't tried it on a laptop but I used it quite a bit for a
desktop touchpad.  This adds support for many features of Synaptics WinDOS
driver.

Hope that this helps.

Henry

From: "David J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Cheapest PS printer or althernative printing option ?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:15:16 -0800

Hi,

someone probably ask this question before, but please bear with
me:

What is the cheapest postscript printer Linux would support and
where can I get it cheap??

Or

If I just want to print simple text (using inexpensive laser
printer), do I need driver for each manufacturer??

Thanks for your patience and response!

-David

------------------------------

From: "José Rui Faustino de Sousa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Speed..Speed..Speed
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:48:59 -0000

Jim Moser wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>which
>will require scads of floating point
>calculations

Rule of thumb need floating point use intel... BUT if you have money enough (and
if you are considering dual Xeon  2MB you have) take a look at alpha the new
processor 21264 is really the best money can buy... And if you run linux you can
save a bunvle in software...

>on large arrays..

Another rule of thumb: the larger the array the more a large cache will pay...
If you can fit the whole array into cache it will compute much faster. And even
worst you can have perverse problems like zero cache being faster tham just a
little... The reason for this is that the array does not fit into cache and
cache misses are ocurring all the time and the program will run slower because
of cache organization overhead...

>the results of which are written back out
>to disk..about 500 Mbytes worth.

Anyway if you need lots of IO get a SCSI subsystem maybe RAID level zero for
even faster performance (see DPT they have very nice caching controlers)

>So I'm looking at the new high end processors..PII/PIII and discover
>this PII Xeon chip.

PIII does not pay... Yet maybe with the new chipsets at 133Mhz FSB and faster
clock speeds... The new intructions will take _too_ long to be implemented by
compiler makers...

>So there you have it. Is the Xeon really worth double the PII price or
>triple the K6-2 price?

Double PII maybe not... But triple K6 (for the application you have in mind)
sure is!

>As far as I can see.. the main difference is the L2 cache speed. Has
>anybody seen any benchmarks

And floating point, wich is very important to you...

See http://www.tomshardware.com/ they have a lot of benchmarks there...

Best regards
José Rui
José Rui Faustino de Sousa
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://homepage.esoterica.pt/~jrfsousa/
telephone://+351-(0)39-444940
SnailMail://rua Carlos Alberto Pinto de Abreu, nº30C, 1º
3040 Coimbra Portugal

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux DSL
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:04:22 -0500

BL wrote:
> but after all those charades, we finally got it going.  1.5meg-6meg in and
> 384k out.  nice... ;-)  and $200/mo is reasonable enough for this kind of b/w.

Two hundred dollars a month?!?  Holy s*&t!  That's expensive!

We can get it for CDN$65/month including modem rental! ($100 - $200
installation fee, though)
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:19:50 -0500

"Mikaël STEHLY" wrote:

> I'm looking for the linux driver of my ethernet card : SN5100TX....
> where can I find it ?

What chip do you have on your network card?  What speed is your network
card: 10Mbps or 100Mbps?

Take a look at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linus/drivers/

From: "Larry Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: es1788
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:21:29 GMT

Did you try configuring the Linux box with the command    "sndconfig"

L-

------------------------------

From: Thomas Lepkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netgear FA310TX LAN CArd
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:46:17 -0500

I was getting this error message with the tulip driver that came with my
LAN card:

eth0: The trasmitter stopped! CSR5 is 2679006, CSR6 812e2002

The driver that came with Red Hat 5.1 just didn't work - I don't
remember the error message.

I just received a new tulip driver for this "D1" LAN card from Netgear
technical support and it seems to be working with the
ifconfig command but I have not networked with it yet.  It pings okay
and does not give error messages.  Time will tell.

If you want to try this new driver email me and I'll send it to you.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thomas Lepkowski
Cambridge, MA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium I under svgalib
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:22:44 GMT

What version of X are you running?  Which distribution?  What kernel? What
patchlevels are both the Xfree86 and kernel at?

I run the original millenium w/ 8 Mb RAM at up to 1024 x 768, 24bpp and that's
only 'cause the monitor on that machine won't go higher?

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:26:38 -0600, Timothy MacDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I have a Matrox Millenium I ( the original ) and I would like to be able
>to run progs at 640x480 under svgalib, but so far it will only go
>320x200.... anybody have any clues? ( I have started messing around with
>the GGI svgalib wrapper with little success ).
>
>Regards,
>
>       Timothy MacDonald
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie--(how DO you exit vi?)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: 33.6 USR modem with no manual
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:25:54 GMT

You might find that info on the manufacturer's webpage, and if you don't use, or
need to use the built-in ports, then you might want to disable them in CMOS
settings to free up the resources anyway.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX - telnet timeout
Date: 10 Mar 1999 04:11:24 GMT

On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:57:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> wrote:
>I have a curious problem with the Netgear FA310TX on my RH5.2 system. The
>card is recognized fine, but when I try to telnet to another machine the
>telnet hangs. HOWEVER, if I do a nslookup of a machine just BEFORE I do a
>telnet then the telnet works fine - returns immediately with a login prompt.
>
>Does anyone know why that would be the case ?

Yes. The new Netgear FA310TX uses the PNIC Lite-On chipset. This chipset
has severe media detection problems, as well as having a delay in the
transmitter setup to attempt to cope with that.

There's an updated driver at Donald Becker's site
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html that works a little
better, but last time I checked people were still reporting problems with
the PNIC.

Sorry couldn't give you better news, but that's the breaks :-(.

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
 "Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:29:26 GMT

On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:02:24 -0500,
 Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's called "courtesy", or "attribution". I'd hate for somebody not to
> know who said what, if they stumbled on this thread only now....

Attribution would be the first line of this message.  The .sig is not
attribution.  (And proper news clients will automatically strip it from