From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury)
Subject: Re: help me choose hardware for my new Linux box
Date: 10 Mar 1999 00:20:39 GMT

Eldad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> shaped electrons to say:
>In a couple of days,  I'll order my new Linux machine. It will be used
>mostly for internet stuff, a little development and a lot of
>emulation. I plan to install Red Hat 5.2.

  Be sure to pick up the updates to 5.2, they fix a number of security
bugs.  http://updates.redhat.com

>Questions:

>Partitions: anything special I need to know besides what the installer
>will tell me? I have installed Linux before, but back then disks were
>less than 1GB...

  Make sure that your root partition lies in cylinders less than 1024!
Even if BIOSes and other programs claim to be free of this problem, its
better to use a bootable partition that is within the 1024 cylinder limit.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U      Errant co-moderator of:

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Speed..Speed..Speed
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:38:04 GMT

"Jeffrey J. Potoff" wrote:

> We did some investigation on quad Xeon boxes before going with a
> dual 21264 Alpha machine.  From what I saw, the Xeon wasn't really
> much faster than the 450 MhZ PII and cost a whole lot more.  If
> I had to go with Intel chips, I'd stick with a dual 450 MhZ PII.
>
> If speed is the primary concern, however, you'll get the most out of
> an Alpha.  The 21164, 533MhZ NT boxes are going for about $3400
> (or substantially less, depending on configuration) w/video,
> 256mb ram, etc.
>
> Jeff
Jeff,
  I'm sorta in the same boat as the original poster, but perhaps in a
slightly lower price range. I found the price of the Alpha 21164, 533Mhz
box, about the same as a dual 500Mhz PentiumIII (I know, no real
improvement over Pentium II, but the pricing was inline with PentiumII
*if* it ran at that speed). The Alpha had a SpecFP95 of 21.9 & SpecINT95
of 16.6, where a *single* 500mhz  P-III had a SpecFP95 of 14.7 and
SpecINT95 of 20.6. Supposedly, from the Spec benchmarks, a dual P-III
system *should* be better at floating point than the Alpha 21164 533
Mhz. (I'll believe it when I actually see it...;-)

My question for you is, what kind of prices are we talking about for a
dual 21264 alpha machine?

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Netgear FA310TX - telnet timeout
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:57:44 GMT

I have a curious problem with the Netgear FA310TX on my RH5.2 system. The
card is recognized fine, but when I try to telnet to another machine the
telnet hangs. HOWEVER, if I do a nslookup of a machine just BEFORE I do a
telnet then the telnet works fine - returns immediately with a login prompt.

Does anyone know why that would be the case ?

When I replaced the Netgear card with a 3Com 3c590 (with approp. entry in
conf.modules), the telnet works fine right on the first try, i.e. I don't have
to any nslookup.

I have tried the latest public domain tulip.c driver and the one from NetGear
(mine is a D1 board - uses the NetGear chip). Tried also the driver that ships
with RH5.2. They all give the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Pari

From: Robert Schiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: modutils for 2.2.2
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 21:36:06 +0100

Andre Hinrichs wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.misc yhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I've installed kernel 2.2.2 successfully just for module support (marked
> > > ENABLE LOADABLE MODULE SUPPORT and KERNEL MODULE LOADER). My modutils
> > > are 2.1.85 - they run with my old kernel 2.0.33, but they fail with
> > > 2.2.2.
> > > Can anybody give me a hint?! yves
> > Yes.
> > You need modutils 2.1.121.
>
> Why is there still no modutils 2.2.x available?

Is there a need?
But you are free to rename your 2.1.121-package to 2.2.x. :-)

Robert

------------------------------

From: Nicholas Strugnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:50:50 -0500

Hi,

I'm putting together specs for my first ever home-built linux box. So far
I have the following:

Mobo    ASUS P5A Super 7
Mem     64 MB CL3 PC100
SCSI    Adaptec 2940AU
Disk    9.19 GB Seagate ST39173
Graph   Matrox G200 8MB AGP

Originally I was thinking of just going with an AMD K6-2 400MHz but it
would be nice to know whether I should shell out the extra for a K6-III.
I heard that the K6-2 suffers in 'business applications' due to it's slow
(100MHz) L2 cache. I'll be using the machine primarily for development
(C/C++/Perl/Shell), image processing (custom software, IPW, ENVI) and
report writing (LaTeX) along with the occasional reboot to Windows (for
games only, naturally).

For these uses is it worth it to get a K6-III? Does anyone have any
benchmarks or experience (preferably under Linux) with the K6-III? The
Matrox card isn't strictly necessary for what I do (but cool for games)
and I don't care much about graphics performance bottlenecks, but I do
need fast I/O (hence the SCSI disk).

Cheers,
Nick

Dept. of Geography         | Phone (Office): +1 (617) 353-8031
Boston University          | Phone (Home):   +1 (617) 247-6292
675 Commonwealth Avenue    | Fax:            +1 (617) 353-3200
Boston, MA 02215-1401, USA | WWW:  temporarily disabled

------------------------------

From: Scott Drager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i740 is slow on X?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:20:39 -0800

I use an i740 based card and I'm very happy with it, using the XBF server.
Might be a different story with the generic svga server tho. I haven't
tried that. And the XBF is free.
Scott

Subject: Re: iomega jazz drives
From: Pas Moi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:21:10 GMT

d> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> does anyone know anything about support/drivers for Iomega Jazz
>> drives on linux?

d> I know that my Jaz works great, and has from the start.

i know my jaz drive is dead as a doorknob after very light use.
considering its low quality and expensive media, it's a long-run
loser.  big time.  go with something else, i wish i had.

ciao,

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] [remove noise]

Hmmm ... a CRIPPLED ACCOUNTANT with a FALAFEL sandwich is HIT by a
TROLLEY-CAR ...

------------------------------

From: Thomas Lepkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Michal regarding Netgear card
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:34:53 -0500

Mats Danielsson wrote:

> Michal,
>
> I am not I understand you. Is the included driver obsolete? I am
> currently trying to get my card running under Red Hat 5.1, but no
> success so far. I'd really like to get my card running without getting a
> new one. I tried to use the tulip-driver in Red Hat 5.1, but I wasn't
> sure which Base I/O address to choose. I'm not good at those things, but
> what I did was to check in Win98 what address and IRQ the card uses, and
> just apply it to Linux. Would that work?
>
> thanks,
> Mats

 Try the new tulip driver for the D1 card, which is probably what you
have.  Did you get this card from
Micro Center over on Memorial Drive?  If you want this new driver from
Netgear technical support you can either email me or call Netgear technical
support.

Also, this card does not get a I/O or IRQ setting by the user,   these are
probed for during the boot process.  Your /etc/conf.modules file should
only include:

alias ethx tulip

where x is 0,1,2,...

my /etc/conf.modules looks like this:

alias eth0 tulip

I hope this helps.

Thomas Lepkowski
Cambridge, MA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:33:13 +0100
From: Antonio Ramiro Garcia Prieto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56iPRO or 56ePRO and linux

        I have one Supraexpress 56e PRO and work fine, you can work with it
like other extern modem.

Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Mar 1999 19:46:39 -0500

Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:
>
> > John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > It'll change the moment they decide that buying out the agreement is a
> > > worthwhile investment.
> >
> > yes, but as far as i can tell, microsoft are idealogically committed
> > to destroying unix.  i can see bill gates taking off his shoe and
> > pounding it on the rostrum....
> >

> Microsoft doesn't even know how to spell Unix :(*)  Who are you kidding :)(

> Unix/Linux is alot of fun to use. But, until there is *lots* of cash
> in it, MS won't take it seriously.

MS do take unix seriously.  MS are committed to `windows everywhere'.
that means, no other operating systems, e.g., unix.  MS wouldn't even
have to say `windows everywhere' is there goal if there were *no*
competition.

> How do you go to your shareholders (of a $400billion company) and
> tell them, BTW - we're dropping everything and going to Linux ?  The
> only ideology MS has is capitalism.

why would they do that?  every linux install is a rejection of
windows.

> When MS sees that it is able to make around $1billion/year in
> software sales on Linux, you will see them porting stuff.  Be
> careful though, do you really want the "registry", "proc calls",
> "GDI", "Direct-X" on Linux ?  Gee, MS would love it,

this is going off on a strange tangent...

> you get to support irate Win98 come Linux customers over the
> comp.os.linux.misc newsgroup and they would have a field day
> shipping Office for Linux.  Oh, and then they would be the evil MS
> because they support Linux and make a huge bunch of cash on Linux
> apps but don't support the OS.

> Tell you what: Make a proposal to MS (other than MS get lost) on how
> you would make *lots* of cash selling Linux based products for MS.

why?  i really *do* want MS to *get* *lost*.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Modem setup
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:17:57 GMT

One suggestion:  Give complete details as to your hardware setup?

Why would you have thought to have tried "lspci"?  Could it be that your modem
is a PCI card modem?  If so, then don't bother to give anymore info,  more than
likely, just get a new modem; either an ISA one (w/jumpers would be good)
or external one.

On Modems...

Warning!: If your modem is a PCI one, it probably won't (ever) work under Linux.
check the list before you buy at : http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html ,
or you'll probably be sorry. (The cheaper "Software" modems only have software
available for windows platforms, they have a higher profit margin-so the vendors
tend to push them or carry them exclusively, often not even properly labeling
them as a "winmodem", "softmodem","Host Based", "Host Controlled", "HCF",or
"Controllerless",  and manufacturers have steadfastly refused to release
hardware info necessary to write Linux drivers)
 Beside the performance hit you'd get from having your CPU emulate a UART isn't
really worth the difference in the price of a real modem.

External modems are not only a safe bet, but if you need to reset the modem, you
can do so without rebooting your system.  If you need/want internal, stick with
ISA cards, and preferably ones with jumpers, not PnP.

        (I think I'll just save most of this little blurb, and paste it into
every modem problem reply--would save a lot of typing--maybe put it in my sig?)
:-))

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:09:46 -0700, STEVENS  TRAVIS
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hello,
>
>i'm running red hat 5.1 whither kernal 2.0.34 or something like that.
>my problem is, Mr linux won't recognize my modem.  I've tried isapnp tools
>along with lspci.  Doesn't seem to work.  Seems the lspci doesn't work.
>Could I have some suggestions.  I would really appreciate it.
>
>-Trav
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie--(how DO you exit vi?)

------------------------------

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:08:55 -0500

Nicholas Strugnell wrote:

> Originally I was thinking of just going with an AMD K6-2 400MHz but it
> would be nice to know whether I should shell out the extra for a K6-III.
> I heard that the K6-2 suffers in 'business applications' due to it's slow
> (100MHz) L2 cache. I'll be using the machine primarily for development
> (C/C++/Perl/Shell), image processing (custom software, IPW, ENVI) and
> report writing (LaTeX) along with the occasional reboot to Windows (for
> games only, naturally).
>
> For these uses is it worth it to get a K6-III? Does anyone have any
> benchmarks or experience (preferably under Linux) with the K6-III? The
> Matrox card isn't strictly necessary for what I do (but cool for games)
> and I don't care much about graphics performance bottlenecks, but I do
> need fast I/O (hence the SCSI disk).

Ask Tom:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Pentium III compatible
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:02:28 GMT

        Right now, Pentium III's are just a cocaine placebo for folks with penis
envy, and too much money.  You will spend MUCH less, and get the same, or better
performance with even a dual Celeron system, or if you have that much extra
cash, go with a dual P2?

        Red Hat recommends that everyone using 5.2 upgrade to Xfree86 version
3.3.3 or better, due to a security bug in the 3.3.2 verion that ships with RH
5.2, and as a bonus, there is added support for many of the newer video card
chipsets.  Go to Red Hat's website at www.redhat.com for mor
details/instructions, and they even have an updated hardware compatibility list
there for the (now) supported video cards.  I'd bet that the same holds true for
RH 5.1, and I know that the TNT chipset support was added in Xfree86 3.3.3.  Go
to their web page (RH) for further info on how to update X.

Hope this helps,

From: John Sarapata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: CHEAP HW For Linux NoteBook Project
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:41:34 -0500

I got a refurbished 75 MHz 8M 486 for $315 from eBay.com. I have since sunk
much more money into it, but the total cost of the system so far is:

Laptop: $315
Extra 8M RAM: $15
Floppy drive: $60
Microphone: $1
Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA card: $77

Total: $468 (about 280 GBP)

It is a Toshiba 2150CDT, and works quite well. The screen is nice (16 bit
color, active matrix). I can compile the kernel in about 25 minutes. So
far, all of the hardware is compatible. The only annoyance is that most X
programs assume 800x600, so you do a lot a desktop switching.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: HELP: K6-2 motherboard w/ Linux; Perf. compares/ PII
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:17:05 GMT

I'm looking to buy a K6-2 system (400MHz) to run
the following software:

  Linux 5.2/6.0 SSE + Apache + PHP + mySQL.

The K6-2 system I'm looking at has:

- Motherboard:  SIS598,  (same AMPTRON 9900?)
- BIOS: AMI
- 1MB cache
- 64MB RAM
- 100MHz bus
- 6GB disk   (UDMA, 5400 rpm)
- 8MB video AGP (on motherboard)
- 40x CD
- sound + speakers (16-bit sound on motherboard)
- NO monitor
- mouse, keyboard
- 1 year warranty

> Price is around: $750.   (OK pricing?

Q's:

1. Should the above system be able to compile/run
RedHat 5.2 or 6.0 ?

2. I read some people have trouble w/ the motherboard.
Anyone heard of: SIS598,  (same AMPTRON 9900?)

3. The motherboard has the hard drive controller and
video on the board (not separate card).  Could this
be a problem?

4. Anyone have experience running Linux on SIS598
motherboard?

I've not been able to find a detailed, up-to-date listing
of which motherboards and video cards/chips are or aren't supported.

5. Someone wrote me saying that the MB (motherboard)
needs to have the EIDE chip set otherwise the DMA feature
on the drive won't be usable - resulting in slower disk I/O.
Correct?

6. Comparing a Celeron 400MHz vs. Pentium II 400MHz  vs.
a K6-2 400MHz (running Linux, Apache, PHP + mySQL), does
anyone have an idea on the run-time performance differences
between the 3 CPU's running Linux - especially in a high
database / web page hit environment?

7. If Linux runs OK - should Apache, PHP and mySQL also?

Thanks for any help on this to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Patrick Greer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: io conflict with ethernet card (3com 3c509b)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:33:50 -0500

Paul Rowland wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Justin C Miranda wrote:
>>
>> I recently installed linux on my pc and during installation I was unable
>> to configure my network card (3com 3c509).  When I booted linux, I tried
>> running a few of the utilities to get the card configured.  However,
after
>> a few unsuccessful tries I went to Red Hat's HowTo's to see if I could
>> find the problem. I tried a few things and found out that a device was
>> taking up the IO port reserved for the network card.  However, the HowTo
>> didn't explain how to resolve this problem. Now I'm trying to figure out
>> how to configure the  "conflicting" device (busmouse) to use another io
>> port and to set up the network card to use its proper io ports.  I can do
>> the second part, but I haven't figured out how to get the mouse on
another
>> port.  I know about mouseconfig, but I'm not sure about the side effects
>> of reconfiguring devices.  If anyone has any advice or suggestions I
would
>> appreciate them.
>> Is there a config script to detect the type of network card?
>> Justin Miranda
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bus mice are stuck on IRQ12, you need to move the card. If memory serves,
there's a DOS utility you can d/l from 3com that lets you configure this
card - you probably want to take it out of PnP mode, and explicitly set the
IRQ and IO.

Cheers-
Patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: 'Dazed & Confused'
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:44:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Brandon  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We have a Rh 5.2 Linux box that we upgraded to the 2.2.1 kernel.  It
>then started crashing under a heavy load with this error:
>
>Mar  9 10:18:53 db3 kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but
>trying to continue
>Mar  9 10:18:53 db3 kernel: You probably have a hardware problem with
>your RAM chips or a
>Mar  9 10:18:53 db3 kernel: power saving mode enabled.
>
>We do not have power management even compiled in.  We hace tried both
>ECC and non-ECC settings in the BIOS, as some have suggested this.  We
>rolled back to the 2.0.36 kernel, and we still see the same error in
>/var/log/messages, but the machine doesn't crash.
>
>Is this a hardware problem?  Or do we just having something set
>incorrectly?  We are quite desperate for any help that can be offered.
>THANK YOU.

Web search for and read the Sig11 FAQ, which talks about similar
problems and suggests solutions.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.