From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sian)
Subject: Which cam?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:16:04 -0500

I am planning on setting up a web cam using the linux as a server.
Which cams are recommended for me to use? Would like something in color,
with decent optics. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg but will to get
something good.
I've got parallel and scsi interface.

Please remove -NOSPAM to reply via email.

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Disk Striping
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:36:40 -0500

"Hon N. Tam" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am not sure if I am addressing this to the right newgroup. If I am
> not, please ignore this message. I am doing an experiment using both
> FreeBSD and Red Hat Linux 5.2. I am interested in creating disk striping
> using both OSes. I know I can do it with FreeBSD but I am not sure if it
> is possible with RH 5.2.  I have 2-18.2 Gig U2W disks and I would like
> to combine them to 1-36.4 Gig partition.
>
> Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ... Russell
>
> --
> R. H. N. Tam, Science Computing,
> University of Waterloo,
> Offices: Chem2-260 and Physics 258
> (519) 885-1211. X6183 (for both)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check this out:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Root-RAID-HOWTO.html

--
David Pace  Free Trading software: http://www.daveware.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Q] Recommended supported scsi card
Date: 13 Mar 1999 01:54:20 GMT

On 12 Mar 1999 01:08:42 GMT, Jason Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please advise me for resonable Ultra scsi card.
>Has anybody tried Ultra scsi card from Diamond which is called FirePort(?)?

I have a Diamond Fireport 40 here in my computer at home. It works well.

If you have more money, two companies to look at are digitalscape (
http://www.digitalscape.com ) which has a good combo Ethernet/Ultra
SCSI board that I have in my computer at the office (but you must upgrade
the yellowfin driver from Donald Becker's latest to use the network part),
and IntraServer ( http://www.intraserver.com ) which is very supportive of
Linux -- when I had a problem with not having an up-to-date driver they
told me where to go to get a new driver, they didn't say "huh? Linux? Is
that a brand of air conditioning?".

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
  "Microsoft will compete ... by adding features" -- Ed Muth, Microsoft

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (db)
Subject: Re: Does anyone have a Socket 8 (PPro-200/256) heatsink?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 05:00:28 GMT

Just buy a P-Pro CPU Cooler. heat sink is included. Cost you $20-30
for a ball bearing one.

Good Luck. Regards,

David Brenner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Cloud)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie question on modules and compiled support
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 05:05:15 GMT

I'm having trouble getting lp support to work.

Every time I try to print something using lpr, I get the message in
/var/log/messages:

...kernal: lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.

The only printer defined in printcap is lp.  When trying to "cat
(text_file) > /dev/lp0 (or lp1 or lp2, these are the lp devices found
in /dev), I get:

device not configured.

How do I find out if lp support is compiled into the kernel?  If it's
not, how do load the lp module?  I've tried insmod lp and modprobe lp
but nothing happens other than an entry in /proc/devices for lp.  No
entries in /proc/ioports or /proc/interrupts.

Do I have to do insmod w/ ioport and interrupt specified or am a
barking up the wrong tree?  If I'm not, how do I do it?  I can't seem
to find out how to specify parameters fo the lp load.

I can't seem to find the appropriate HOWTO and the only thing from
dejanews seems to think some probing should be going on.  It doesn't
seem to be happening.  Any suggestions welcome.  Please help.

- TC

------------------------------

From: "O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:14:01 +1100

I have Win98 on one partition and Linux on the other partition.  I have some
files on Win98 that I want to copy to the Linux partition.  What commands do
I need to do this?

Thankyou
Rod O'Brien

From: "Scott L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux help with large harddrive please
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 05:06:04 GMT

I am trying to install Redhat 5.5 on a ibm deskstar 7200rpm 14.4 GB that I
have 12 gb fat 32 partition for win98 and win2k and then I was going to put
Linux 5.5 on the other empty space but t wont let me - first disk druid
makes it look like I have negative disk space free in the amount of space
above 8.0 GB and everytime I try to make a partition for the Linux it says
partition too large or something to that effect - could someone tell me what
I need to do ? Will it be easiest to just go buy a second HD  that  is
smaller than 8 GB to have to put Linux on - any help would be appreciated -
please email me at

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (c_dog)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:01:49 GMT

I've had better luck with my Fireport under Linux than my Adaptec
2940. The Diamonds are a steal for their price. But than again the
Fireports are NCR53C8xx based cards.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: 3COM 905B and Modem probs
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:07:12 GMT

Your modem won't (ever ) work under Linux.  I've seen posts of people who have
successfully gotten the 3Com cards to work a both speeds so there is hope for
that, but I don't use that brand, so I can't be more specific.  I think you may
be able to specify the parameters for that interface in the linuxconf utility
that was included in RH 5.2, if your are using that distribution, and others may
have similar utilities?

Thanks for the info on vi -- I guess it's time to update my sig file -- That sig
came about because 2 weeks ago, when I first tried to install Linux, I didn't
even know the basic commands for the Unix command line, and couldn't even get
access to any of the "online" help with the system down, and/or me not knowing
where or how to look.  I managed to start an edit session with vi to edit my
/etc/passwd file for my user account, and couldn't get out of it, so I rebooted
with my install disk, and reformatted, and started from scratch, rather than
deal with maybe needing to repair the filesystem.  I've come a long way in the
past 2 weeks though :-))  Samba and DHCP are my next projects to figure out...

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:45:51 -0800, Hao Le <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I have a 3COM 905B (10/100 Etherlink XL) and I can't get it to work under
>10mb/s DHCP with the vortex driver.  It runs under 100mb/s DHCP, which
>just blows my mind, but not with 10mb/s... I read somewhere that the
>driver or the card had a problem requesting DHCP at 10mb/s, anyone know of
>a workaround or solution?  Should I stick with this card that works fine
>under windows or should I swap with my friend for his Intel 10/100?
>
>Also, my stupid InJet "v.90" PCI modem (with the cirrus logic x2/v.90
>chipset) doesn't work under Linux either. Not that I'm surprised, but does
>any have any workarounds??? It's really a POS modem and I should get a
>different one, but I'm a wishful thinker and I'd like to save my $20
>investment ;)
>
>So, basically connectivity in general just hates me under Linux =) I'm not
>going to let that get me down, though! hehehe... anyways, any help is much
>appreciated.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie--(how DO you exit vi?)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Rockwell PCI Modems
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:17:30 GMT

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:16:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark) wrote:

>In article <7cbc0s$mg2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, je  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Does Anyone know if the rockwell PCI modems are winmodems?
>>
>>No I don't have a model all I have is:
>>Rockwell PCI V.90 ITU FAX Modem
>
>Rockwell doesn't make retail modems-- they only make chipsets.  Please
>find the FCC ID or registration number that is printed on the modem card
>and check this list:
>   http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
>
>If your modem is not listed, please follow-up with the FCC number-- most
>56K PCI modems are winmodems, but some are not.

I bet that one is, though...
I've never run across a Rockwell chipset PCI one that wasn't--both of the other
PCI modems that claimed to be hardware based were using different chipsets,
weren't they?  [The most recent posting of one listed a Lucent chipset, and the
other one is the Multitech?]

From: James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving from singel cpu to dual PII 266MHz
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:22:35 +0000

jpn wrote:
> What can one expect in overall and what SMP-software are there for
> Linux?

If I may be so bold to repeat a reply that I made to an earlier post
(easier than retyping):

----

I've worked on a number of SMP machines from a dual PPro/200 to a $500k
quad-processor HP monster. Currently have two at home (dual P-II/400 and
dual P-II/233). Linux provides strategic support for my businesses. (I
threw out WinNT because of cost and instability.)

The main benefit that I've seen with dual CPUs is that the machine can
handle a much higher workload than a single CPU. Linux mas matured much,
especially with the new 2.2 series kernel. The new kernel is
multi-thread safe. I don't notice any real slow-down on my dual 400's
until the load reaches 20-30. Usually the disks are going crazy.

You won't notice the machine running faster per se, i.e. one program
running all by itself. However, if the machine is running more than one
process, there are two CPUs to handle the work.

For example, whenever I compile a program, I use "make -j3" and make
will start two processes, each one compiling a different source file
simultaneously, if possible. Here there is a speed-up. I just compiled a
new kernel for my firewall. It takes ~8 minutes start-to-finish if I say
"make" (one CPU). If I say "make -j3" it takes ~4 minutes to complete.

One thing to be aware of is the fact that your disk drive may become the
bottle neck, especially if you only have one hard drive. I have four
hard drives in the dual 400's. If you do a lot of reads from one disk,
multiple mirrors can give a big improvement in reading (not so when
writing). For reading large files, striping can help some, too.

> Does the software need to take account of multiple
> threads or does the kernel divide tasks across the processors so that all
> software receives a boost?

A single process would have to use multiple threads to take advantage of
SMP. Otherwise it is impossible for the kernel to somehow "know" in what
ways a program can be parallelised. In short, it's all in the
programmer's hands.

> Would the performance of a dual p133 or so be
> better than a single p200?

That depends on what you do. If you're running as an X server, no. If
you're running a busy web server, probably yes.

> And do pentium PRO cpus perform nicely under linux?

Yes, they work nicely.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: RH 5.2 and Hayes V.90 int modem
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:21:28 GMT

Thank you for answering your own post...  Someone will benifit from your answers
here, as there are too many posts with modem problems not to have someone going
through the same things as you were.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Q] Recommend 56k v90 V/F/D Linux + Windows modem
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:13:03 GMT

Possibilities are limited only by where you can shop, and how?

Phoebe makes a decent ISA modem w/jumpers that I was able to get for about $45
USd, but that was a computer fair (which is a monthly thing around here, but I
don't know what your options are on that??)  Just so happens that there is
another one tommorrow.  I'll get the company info, and send it to you along with
the correct model number?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mounting
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:32:05 GMT

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and a 8088
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:12:52 GMT

Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> IIRC, Linux can't be run natively on anything less than an 80386.
>
> If you really want a unix clone on an 8088 or 80286, and you can't hack
> Linux down to that level, try Minix. Ask on news:comp.os.minix about
> support.
>
> Lew Pitcher
> Joat-in-training

        IIRC, there was something called the "Embedded Linux Kernel" whose goal
was to run on an IBM XT.  Look at
        http://www.uk.linux.org/ELKS-Home/index.html

        Norm

------------------------------

From: Andrew Mossberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mindpath Wireless Keyboard?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:46:48 GMT

I'd like to use a mindpath wireless keyboard under linux. Does anyone have
experience using this or any other keyboard which connects via IR to a serial
port?

thanks!

Andrew Mossberg
Inicom

From: Carl aka Kral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: Printing to SCSI device
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:50:12 -0800

Douglas Godfrey wrote:

> In article <7bcn12$s3j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Hey all --
> >
> >No, you weren't  hallucinating when you read the subject line;
> >let me go on..
> >
> >I have an Alps MD-4000 which prints beautifully under MacOS 8.5.
> >I'd like to set up a printer queue etc. for this guy under LinuxPPC..
> >but it's a SCSI printer.
> >-- Dan C.
> >
> --------------
> Sending data to the printer is easy. Just write to /dev/scsi.
>
> Trying to get the Alps printer to print without any DOC from Alps is going
> to be MUCH more difficult. The Alps MD-4000 printer is a graphics only
> printer. It expects a bitmapped image at a fixed 600dpi, 4 pass, 1bit/pixel.
> Thanx
>   Doug...

This isn't as unusual as Dan presumes. The Apple Color Printer
(actually a Canon BJC8xx sold with a black apple logo screened on
the front) was also a SCSI printer. (It had SCSI and parallel
connections on back). I believe that the SCSI specification has
standard device control conventions. Original SCSI spec was
limited to commands for reading, writing, rewinding tapes,
sending commands to disks, but a much broader set of commands has
been implemented over the years. I'll wager that those commands
plus the known bitmapping datastreams used by these manufacturers
on "standard" printers would get one 98% of the way there...

I'm a hardware person rather than software, but as the owner of
an Apple Color Printer, I'm interested if anyone works out the
solution for this issue. (My printer is now only used on Wintel
machines via parallel port and a fairly lousy Windows driver for
the BJC820.) Engineering plots on this 11x17", 360 dpi printer
were wonderful off of MacOS.

-Carl

------------------------------

From: Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware choice
Date: 12 Mar 1999 10:21:24 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen) writes:

> not sure, check www.xfree86.org ? for latest hardware support...
> >|Sound card : SB 128 PCI
> I don't think this is supported (yet?)

Yes it is. I use one right now.
--
Harald Arnesen, Apalløkkveien 23 A, N-0956 Oslo, Norway

From: Stephen Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller.
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:19:53 +0930

Yer. I did get the latest tulip driver dated the 24-Feb-'99. re-compiled as per
my orignal posting.

Cheers,
Stephen,
Alice Springs,