Linux-Hardware Digest #646, Volume #10            Fri, 2 Jul 99 02:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need to Build Low-Cost Linux Box (Rob Clark)
  Re: Synaptics touchpad (Henry Davies)
  3c574tx ("z. w.")
  Linux and Suspend To Hard Drive feature ("David Pereira")
  @home schitzophrenia with RH ("i4cmyf8")
  Re: What is a good tape drive for Linux (Scott W. Petersen)
  Re: SiS6326 video card problems (Mugur)
  Re: courier v.everything NON WIN MODEM (Mike Frisch)
  RE: Problems with AWE64 and RH 6.0 ("Germán")
  sound card opti 82c925  RH 6 config ? (Bill Jones)
  PCI 128 Sound card problem. (Ren)
  Re: 56K/V90 fax/voice modem recommendation needed (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Red Hat and Dell Optiplex (Tim Moore)
  Re: kppp ("Laine Walker-Avina")
  Re: Hauppauge WinTV-Theater works? (Silviu Minut)
  a quality 3 button mouse (Jeffery Cann)
  USB Speakers (Alex)
  Re: Problem adding RAM (Tim Moore)
  mag lcd monitor and XFree86 (Jonathan Wenger)
  Re: SuSe on Asus AMD K6-2 450Mhz 128K system ("Lars Bindergrowle")
  Re: Maestro 2 Soundcard under Linux (Reto Buchli)
  Re: WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ? (Glitch)

Subject: Re: Need to Build Low-Cost Linux Box
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 02:23:27 GMT

In article <7lgr2h$r3v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Neville  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       I'm a college student and I am looking to build/buy a Linux box for
><=$500. I don't need a monitor-- just a decent AMD or Intel processor, a
>few GBs of disk, 128 or so RAM, video card, ethernet card, etc. I want
>to be able to run KDE, use GNU programming tools, run Apache, and run
>VMWare so I can occassionally access Windoze files.

This page might help:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

Good luck!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Henry Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Synaptics touchpad
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:23:57 +0000

Hi,

I have two (home and work).  They are manufactured by PC Concepts (EZ
Touch is the product).  I bought the last one from Hardware Street, a
web based hardware merchant.
http://www.hardwarestreet.com/bin/catalog/getProdPage.cgi?sku=775929

By the way GPM 17.5 and later supports several gestures (taps, toss,
corner taps, etc) with Synaptics touchpads.

Henry

------------------------------

From: "z. w." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3c574tx
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:19:18 -0400

==============35A1B5894AFEA4182A2F7917

I just installed RH6.0 on my laptop. The network card I have is
3C574TX, which is not support by RH6.0. I downloaded  the
pcmcia-cs-3.0.13.tar.gz from David Hinds and followed the HowTo
to install. I reboot the machine  and found the card by dmesg.
I configed it using by adding hostname, gateway, etc. I rebooted the
machine and try ftp, telnet. I still get error: Hostname lookup failure.

Can anyone help out with this question?

--
_________________________
Zheng Wang

==============35A1B5894AFEA4182A2F7917

&nbsp;
<pre>--&nbsp;
_________________________
Zheng Wang
Tel: 212-802-6276
Fax: 212-802-6253</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "David Pereira" <davidp att wwg d0t c0m>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux and Suspend To Hard Drive feature
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:37:29 -0700

Hello all,

I'm interested in setting up a computer running Linux with the "Suspend To
Hard Drive" feature.  Has anyone attempted to use the "Suspend To Hard
Drive" feature found in many AOpen and Intel motherboards (i.e. AX6BC, MX3L,
BI440ZX, etc.) with Linux and a VESA compatible VGA device and an audio
card?  If so, what were your experiences?  Any comments would be
appreciated.

TIA,
->David

--
 _________________________
 David Pereira

------------------------------

From: "i4cmyf8" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: @home schitzophrenia with RH
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:13:27 GMT

I've been trying to get my @home cable modem service for quite some time now
through 2 seperate redhat distributions. first with 5.2, now 6.0.  No DICE.
I've read the literature at
http://members.home.net/jasonbrossa/Linux/index.html and have currently
installed dhcpcd 0.70-2.  I have a 3com 509 (3c509) PCI network card
installed and recognized.  RH 6.0 installed on a Pentium II 266, 256 meg
RAM.  I got my voodoo banshee up and running, I even got my sound card to
work finally, I just can't seem to get my cable modem access configured.
There was some talk about a dhcpcd 1.3 somewhere, is that the trick?  I
would SO appreciate any pointers as to what i'm doing wrong, or what i'm
forgetting.  Thanks.
Dustin

From: root@[127.0.0.1] (Scott W. Petersen)
Subject: Re: What is a good tape drive for Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 02:43:14 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:11:50 +0100, "Tam McLaughlin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Count me in on this. I have a spare HP Colorada 8 Gb tape backup unit which
>connects to
>the parallel port and would like to know how to set this up.

Did you go to the Ftape home page?  They do have support for parallel
port tape drives but I don't know about the exact models.

Scott
Please remove *N*o*S*p*a*m* from my e-mail
address.

Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Elgin, IL USA

------------------------------

From: Mugur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS6326 video card problems
Date: 2 Jul 1999 03:30:58 GMT

HELP!

Please, can you send me your XF86Config file? I have the same card and I
can only run VGA16 640x480x8. And it's awfull!

Thanks,
Mugur

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: courier v.everything NON WIN MODEM
Date: 2 Jul 1999 03:54:11 GMT

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:21:31 -0500, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>problems, (hyperteminal works fine).  Why does every time I start Minicom
>that the INIT string is displayed very, very slowly?  It takes about 30

You have to tell Linux that the modem is using a non-standard IRQ.  'man
setserial'.  Once configured properly (add a 'setserial' line to your
rc.local), your problems will disappear.

>I did)  I bet no one on these news groups can give a decent answer because
>no one has for a year.... good luck..

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Had you asked and I saw your question,
I would've answered.  It's not rocket science for anybody that knows their
way around a PC (running Linux or not).

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "Germán" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RE: Problems with AWE64 and RH 6.0
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:41:21 -0300

Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I installed Redhat 6.0 on my PC.  But the soung card is not working.
> When I boot the system it says that the sound is on.
>
> What is going on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

I installed RedHat 5.2, recompiled the kernel and have the same problem.
What´s wrong?

------------------------------

From: Bill Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.config
Subject: sound card opti 82c925  RH 6 config ?
Date: 2 Jul 1999 04:30:55 GMT

How do I  configure this sound card sndconfig detects the card. I go
through the setup and recieve an error message when it try's to play sample
sound. {error trying to open /dev/audio.}
 how do you edit the isapnp.conf file.  Do you just remove # on the config
you need? any help would be appreciated.
 also how do i paste the file into this message?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Ren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI 128 Sound card problem.
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 00:03:26 -0400

Hello everyone,

Im at the point of setting up sound with my SuSe 6.1 distro. My problem
is that I get no sound, either from wave files or CD.

I have a Creative PCI128.

So far the things I have tried are:

Went to the SuSE support database and followed the sound-HOWTO. It told
me to modify my conf.modules file enabling/disabling the correct
entries. This is what I did:
        commented out #alias char-major-14
        commented out #sound off
        commented out #midi off

        Uncommented "alias char-major-14 es1370"
        Uncommented "options es1370 joystick=1"

Then I ran "modprobe es1370". I looked at the /var/log/messages and it
said that "found adapter at 0xe400 irq 9 features: joystick on, line in
...". I also checked what modules where loaded using lsmod. It showed
the es1370 and soundcore modules correctly loaded based on the
dependency file. I noticed that the "cat /dev/sndstat" command spits
back "Operation not supported by device". I also checked the /proc
entries and every thing seems in place.

So I thought everything was OK. I ran Kde's mediaplayer with a basic
wave file. Nothing happens, I hear no sound. I tried the CD player and
no sound.

Should I disable PNP on the motherboard or something? Note: I also tried
the es1371 driver but it spits back "Device in use or busy...."

If I can't get this working sometime soon. I am going to try ALSA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Crossposted-To: linux.help
Subject: Re: 56K/V90 fax/voice modem recommendation needed
Date: 2 Jul 1999 01:20:52 -0500

On 30 Jun 1999 21:13:32 GMT, Sascha Jirousek wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I want to buy a new 56k/V90 fax/voice modem for Linux which should
>
> a) receive fax/voice mail even if the computer is not running
That's hard... Is not this called a fax and an answering machine?
It is better (cheaper ;-) to buy those things separately from a modem.

> b) flash ROM without using a Mickysoft-prog

You do not need to _flash_ a modem which is already K56/V.90.

> c) have good performance

Any modem that works is fine.
Any modem which does not is deffective.

Anyways, see the link below.

Best,
Andrew

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:58:38 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat and Dell Optiplex

> I would like to purchase one of the Linux certified Dell Optiplex machines.
> Unfortunately, Dell does not support the CD-RW option for Linux.  I thought

Unfortunately Dell's support of linux is lip service and quite shallow.
They also don't want to piss off MS too much, and so stupid games like
not certifying dual processor machines or supporting CDRW (which works
just fine BTW).

> that SCSI and ATAPI compliant drives worked under Linux (at least for
> ISO-9660).  Has anyone had experience with this particular box and/or CD-RW?

They do.  Unfortunately Dell's support of linux is currently not much
more than lip service, though getting better.  They also don't want to
piss off MS too much, and so stupid games like not certifying dual
processor machines.  Also remember they are a big multi-billion dollar
corporation and so will insist on running QA on every blessed possible
component combination before 'certifying'.

If you must have dell, get it stripped and add real components.  All of
the major linux distributions have certified hardware lists on their
respective sites.  Dell on the other hand will only sell you their
branded (or manufactured) components.

> Maybe I should be really adventurous and order a Dimension with a DVD :)

Maybe you should build your own machine based on a good motherboard.
Check out alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.xxxxxxxxx.  You might actually end
up knowing something about it besides who made it.

--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "Laine Walker-Avina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kppp
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 21:49:04 -0700

My /ect/ppp/options file is completely empty!

Peter Christy wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Laine Walker-Avina wrote:
>>I allready looked and all of my pppd config files don't have the lock
>>option in them.
>

>You need to look in /etc/ppp/options (at least, that's where it is on my
>system!). About half way down (its quite a big text file!) there should be
>couple of comment lines about a UUCP-style lock device, followed by a line
that
>says "lock". Put a # mark infront of the lock command to comment it out.
That

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV-Theater works?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 00:40:36 -0400

You need an expert answer. Post this question in the video4linux mailing list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
The developers of the bttv drivers are there and they'll know.

------------------------------

From: Jeffery Cann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a quality 3 button mouse
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:49:12 GMT

Hello.

Can someone recommend a quality 3 button mouse?  I currently have a
Logitech (mouse man?) which I bought about 1 year ago.  Needless to say,
the movement on this thing sucks (the ball snags constantly providing a
herky-jerky x windows experience) and I CANT TAKE IT ANY MORE.  I have
scoped out my local CompU$A store and find the selection and quality of
3 button mice is weak at best.

Thanks
Jeffery Cann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex)
Subject: USB Speakers
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 05:03:46 GMT

ANyone ever connected philips usb speakers on redhat linux and got
them to work?

Alex
--
Alex van Es, P.O. Box 698, 7300 AR Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.
8 Webcams, doorbell, fridge, barcodescanner.. all connected to the internet.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:36:39 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem adding RAM

> My linux (2.0.34) box had 64MB of RAM which became too little. So I've
> put an extra 128MB in it and I can get linux to see more than 160MB.
> My m/board is a Intel 440BX, and has a 1 x 128MB DIMM in slot1 and 1 x
> 32MB in slot 2 and 3 (there is only 3 RAM slots)
>
> I should have 192MB which are recognised by the bios.
> On my lilo.conf I have append="mem=192M", which cause a kernel panic at
> boot time, it complains about not being able to mount the root
> partition. If I specify append="mem=160M" it boots just fine, 161M it
> crashes.
> Now 192 - 160 = 32... I'm wondering why I can't access the last 32MB...

Perhaps the 32's are incompatible with the 128.  Try reversing (eg- 32,
32, 128) and see if mem=64 works and mem=65 crashes.

You should consider an upgrade.  2.0 kernels are now at 2.0.37 (final).
In this case, after 2.0.36 you don't need 'mem='

From: Jonathan Wenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mag lcd monitor and XFree86
Date: 2 Jul 1999 05:06:39 GMT

I'm trying to get XFree86 to work with a Mag Innovision ls500.  It's an
LCD monitor, and I'm having some odd problems.  I can get X to run at
1024x768 @ 60 Hz, but parts of the screen aren't being drawn correctly.
They show up intermitently, or only when the mouse is moved over them.
The LCD monitor is hooked up to a Trident PCI video card (which came
with the monitor).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: "Lars Bindergrowle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSe on Asus AMD K6-2 450Mhz 128K system
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 03:31:55 -0700

That's good to hear because I was about to get several systems with the
exact same mobo/cpu/etc!

Patrick van Beem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.com...

------------------------------

From: Reto Buchli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maestro 2 Soundcard under Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 07:12:33 +0200

Hi Stuart

try your luck here
 http://www.opensound.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 01:22:33 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

> > I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
> > (On a purely population basis)
> >
> Most people don't consider Chinese a European language.

gee, i wonder why?

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.