Linux-Hardware Digest #650, Volume #9            Sat, 13 Mar 99 17:13:32 EST

Contents:
  Re: PCI modems in linux? (PlatoAtAccesswestDotCom)
  Re: buying a linux box -- advice? (Rod Roark)
  Iwill side2935UW SCSI Adapter and linux ("Jeremy")
  Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2 (Tom Coltharp)
  Matrox ("Void")
  Good uses for the 'Window keys' on keyboard? (Daniel)
  Crystal CS423X Config (John Dixon)
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2??? - HowTo-URL ("Tim")
  Re: linux help with large harddrive please ("Charles Sullivan")
  Re: external isdn & linux? (Joern Smock)
  How to PnP Boca K56Flex Modem setup ("Jim Hurley")
  Error with hda - status timeout (Daniel)
  Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card (Bill Cattell)
  Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem... (Bill Cattell)
  Re: HELP! Mouse not working in Xfree86 (Josh Miller)
  DE-660 pcmcia card and pcnet_reset_8390 (Bernie Ott)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session   (Henning
Strandin)
  Re: driver needed for netelligent card ("Mike")
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (Jeff Szarka)
  Re: Netgear FA310TX LAN CArd (M.A.Miller)
  Pin outs for parallel port zip drive cable? (Daniel)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PlatoAtAccesswestDotCom)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCI modems in linux?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:14:53 GMT

Richard Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We do have a PCI modem that is NOT a "Win" modem, it is controller based,
>and uses the Lucent Venus chipset.

The info on your company home page does NOT support you assertion.
Give us a link to info that DOES support you assertion.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: buying a linux box -- advice?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 23:51:43 GMT

Paul Gowder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>4.  Are there any major compatibality issues with AMD?

No.  With a Super 7 mainboard, you should be able to upgrade later
to the K6-3.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: "Jeremy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iwill side2935UW SCSI Adapter and linux
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:15:36 -0600

Is anyone using the Iwill SIDE-2935UW scsi adapter with linux?  I am
thinking about buying one, but it isn't listed in the scsi hardware
compatibility list anywhere.  Some advice on this would be greatly
appreciated...I would hate to  have to boot to windoze to use my scsi
devices.  Thanks

Jeremy

------------------------------

From: Tom Coltharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:08:44 -0600

Does anyone know how to make this work?
I have read some posts saying it does, but how?
I have downloaded new boot image.
I assume you have to use expert mode to install?
What parameters should be entered?
Is pnp a problem?
Must I boot to Dos first?

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks,

Tom Coltharp

------------------------------

From: "Void" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:09:44 -0000

I am having some difaculty configuring my matrox card to work with linux.
Ether I have realy low colours or my resolution is tiny.
Please can somone help!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel)
Subject: Good uses for the 'Window keys' on keyboard?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:14:22 GMT

What use can the Windows specific keys on the keyboard
be put to under linux?  Either under X or console.

It seems like such a waste.  I mean after all Bill went
to such trouble to change the standard keyboard.  The
lest I could do is find a use for them under Linux.

-Daniel

------------------------------

From: John Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Crystal CS423X Config
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:10:48 -0900

I have a 385XD ThinkPad with the Crystal CS423X chipset for sound.  I
have loaded modular support for it (2.2.3 kernel/ RedHat 5.2/ KDE) which
works fine playing cdroms with the KDE player.  However, when I attempt
to play mp3 files, the mpg123 command line player complains that it
can't open /dev/dsp.  I have run RedHat's sndconfig, with a view to
fiddling around with the settings, but can't seem to get anywhere.

The sound works perfectly in Win98 on this box.  Is there some way for
me to derive the correct irq/dma/io settings from that source, and then
manually set them in Linux?  Any help greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2??? - HowTo-URL
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:45:08 -0800

I was able to upgrade to the 2.2.3 kernel over 2.0.36 (RH 5.2) by following
the guide at
http://www1.portal.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.
html Hope this helps.

-Tim

<7c9ffv$ki8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux help with large harddrive please
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:53:02 -0500

I never heard of RH5.5 .  RH5.2 seems to be the the latest according to
Redhat.
In any case, whatever you have doesn't understand large drives.
I assume you have LBA enabled in your BIOS.  You'll need to determine the
exact LBA disk geometry - hopefully the BIOS will tell you - it'll be
something
like 1780 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors.  If the BIOS doesn't tell you,
try
using FIPS.EXE (ver 2.0) which shound be under DOS Utilities on your RH CD
or download the free DOS utility PARTINFO.EXE from the PowerQuest
website (www.powerquest.com).

Use Linux fdisk instead of Disk Druid. Go into the fdisk 'expert' menu and
set the
cylinders to the correct LBA number - the heads and sectors should already
show up properly.  Then when you return to the main menu you can create the
partition with fdisk.  (Afterwards Disk Druid will set up the file systems
on
these partitions.)

Note: Since your Linux will be entirely above the 1024 cylinder boundary,
you
won't be able to boot Linux with LILO on the hard drive but can boot from a
floppy.   I think you can boot from the hard drive with BOOTLIN.EXE under
DOS but I have no experience with it.

------------------------------

From: Joern Smock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: external isdn & linux?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 20:14:00 GMT

(snip)

I like ELSA products.  Check "http://www.elsa.de/".

> akira
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Joern

------------------------------

From: "Jim Hurley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to PnP Boca K56Flex Modem setup
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:46:06 -0500

How do I setup a pnp modem in Linux.  I have a BocaResearch K56 Flex modem.
i don't think it is a winmodem (how can I tell?).
It is a plug and play modem so how do i setup the port and IRQ for the modem
through LINUX?

Jim
PS to reply by email remove NOSPAM from my address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel)
Subject: Error with hda - status timeout
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:31:44 GMT

I'm receiving the following errors:

hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success

How do I stop receiving these messages.
That is, how do I fix the problem?
In fact, what is the problem?

I'm running RedHat 5.2 on a Compaq Deskpro
with 32MB of memory. HDA is a 3gig ide drive
with DFP.

Thanks

-Daniel

------------------------------

From: Bill Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:33:07 GMT

Andy Johnstone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get Linux working, some of it is some isn't, but one
> thing i was hoping to get working, esp. since i have a winmodem (bluck)
> is my Ethernet card (which also would get me onto a lan w/cable modem).
> However, i have no /dev/eth0, or ethx at all.  Linux knows its there,
> here is select output from less /proc/pci
>
>   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Intel 82596 (rev 3).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee101000 [0xee101000].
>       I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee100000 [0xee100000].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee000000 [0xee000000].
>
> I know the chipset for it is supported, and i think everything is ok, i
> just need to get the device to show up in the /dev directory.  I know i
> could probably use mknod, but i don't know if its block or character, or
> the major or minor revision numbers.  Any ideas?  Please email me at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Remove the nospam. or it won't get through.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Andy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I saw the same type of behavior last night on my RH5.2 system.  I ended
up having to load the eepro100.o module (insmod eepro100.o), then run
Linuxconf, verify that the Ip, GW, mask, etc were correct and exit and
'activate changes'.

It's been running fine (I have the same type of NIC - Intel PCI) since
then.  I have to find out how/where to add the insmod eepro100.o line
(and a couple other fs lines) so they happen automatically at boot up.

Good luck.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.
remove '1.nospam' to reply

From: Bill Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:37:42 GMT

Frank Dziuba wrote:

> I have Red Hat 5.1 with a year old IOMega Jaz Jet SCSI card and an Intel
> Etherexpress pro 100+ card.
>
> Both cards hook IRQ 10, and both are detected at boot. No errors are
> reported at boot.
>
> But, the ethernet card doesn't work unless I remove the Advansys based
> SCSI card. Is there any way to change the SCSI card IRQ? Or Intel IRQ?
>
> They work under Windows ok.
>
> thanks
>
> frank

Just a guess Frank but you might try looking in your pc's BIOS for a PCI
section and tell the NIC which int to use.  It worked that way on my
Acer Aspire (originally had a conflict between EEPro100 and Compaq PCI
SCSI-2 ctrlr).

From: Josh Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP! Mouse not working in Xfree86
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:42:27 -0500

Have you tried editing the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config in the mouse section...
the line
#    Emulate3Buttons
You may need to just remove the hash mark. worked for me on one of my mice. You could
also be using
the wrong mouse protocol... but who knows.

------------------------------

From: Bernie Ott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DE-660 pcmcia card and pcnet_reset_8390
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:09:15 GMT

I've got a laptop with a D LINK  DE-660 pcmcia network card.
Upon bootup, I get the following message:

    pcnet_reset_8390():  did not complete

Anyone have any clue what this means?

Been trying to resolve it for a few weeks.
Works fine under Windows 98.

From: Henning Strandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:23:47 +0100

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:15:47 -0600, Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> :
> :
> :Bill Anderson wrote:
> :>
> :> Bluescreen O'Death wrote:
> :> >
> :> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :
> :> > > Oh really? I have a Compaq box back in the UK that I'd like you to take a look
> :> > > at. When X crashes on that (which it does regularly), it takes the graphics
> :> > > card down with it. It won't go back into text mode. It won't switch graphics
> :> > > modes. So restarting the X server is useless - it has to be big-red-switched.
> :> >
> :> > What kind of video card?  Or failing that, what model Compaq?
> :> >
> :> > And what flavor Unix?
> :>
> :> I have had this on a Mill2 w Linux, Kernels 2.03x and 2.2.(.0prex->.1),
> :> on a micron.
> :> It really sucks when it happens.
> :
> :
> :Well, this happens every now and then even with the best xservers ...
> :but there is an important distinction, which most users don't care
> :about, but it does need to be made.
> :While it is quite possible for the xserver to crash, this event will
> :almost never take the linux kernel down with it.  There may not be a
> :difference to most users, but if you can telnet in you can kill the
> :process and start over without rebooting.
>
> For your average home user with one system this doesn't do them much
> good at all.  It's so funny seeing a new linux user get his first X
> crash and wonder out loud why he went through all that trouble of
> partitioning and such just to get THAT.

Funny, that sounds exactly like the very reason I stoppped using Windows
a few years ago. If I remember right, it was something about Windows
trying to reinstall my videocard everytime I booted up. At MS support
they were of course clueless like me. No way of researching the problem.
This was not the first time this kind of problem occured (presently my
Win95 box at home [my secondary computer of course] thinks that my modem
is a PS2-mouse, and will not be told otherwise), so I simply decided to
take MS out of the loop. And I'm a much happier puppy for it. These
days, when something goes wrong (as it is bound to do from time to time)
I know that I have all the possibilities to research and fix, from
reading howtos to scanning the source to contact the person who wrote
the program, i.e. it is all up to me. Sometimes I'm too lazy and just
gives up, but then it's still my choice. Not so with moronic MS bugs
like the ones described above. _That's_ the point with an open source
system, and it's usually hard to grasp until you've tried it yourself.

--
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here"
- A. Lincoln

Henning Strandin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: driver needed for netelligent card
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:11:00 -0700

Just wanted to say thanks...this message helped me out too.

Big Newb on linux here, but old hat to other networking ... I never would
have found out how to get my netelligent working...

Appreciated

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<7bobbe$amd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi
>
>U cannot configure the network card during installation time.
>
>Follow these steps it works fine
>
>1. After complete installation of Linux execute the command 'insmod tlan'.
>2. Execute the command 'netconf' at the prompt.
>3. Select the Basic Host information at the prompt.
>4. Fill in the details such as IP address, Netmask, Netdevice as eth0,
Karnel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:31:05 -0600

On 13 Mar 1999 02:23:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian
Langenberger) wrote:

:M. le Rutte ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:: Walter van der Schee wrote:
:: ? [...]
:: > If you're using Linux, recompile the kernel to include magic SysRq-key
:: > hack,
:: > if X crashes and doesn't allow you to switch VT's, tap Alt-SysRq+R to
:: > switch the keyboard out of raw-mode, then try to switch VT's. If that
:: > doesn't help,
:: > tap the sequence Alt-SysRq-S (emergency disk-sync), Alt-SysRq-U
:: > (emergency disk remount read-only (setting the clean-bit)), Alt-SysRq-B
:: > (emergency reboot).
:: > [...]
:
:: And than people still say Linux is ready for the desktop?
:
:The worst possible case is the same: hardware reboot of the machine
:
:The difference is, Linux requires that extreme step much less often than
:Windows98.
:
:If anything, Windows isn't ready for the desktop.

Yea I hate how in windows you have to compile your own
software....that's really desktop ready huh?..........Oh wait...that's
linux.

------------------------------

From: M.A.Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX LAN CArd
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:51:52 -0600

    > I just received a new tulip driver for this "D1" LAN card
    > from Netgear technical support and it seems to be working
    > with the ifconfig command but I have not networked with it
    > yet.  It pings okay and does not give error messages.  Time
    > will tell.

    > If you want to try this new driver email me and I'll send
    > it to you.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are also having troubles with FA310TX cards.  We are using
tulip.c version 0.89F.  Please send a copy of your driver.

Thanks, Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel)
Subject: Pin outs for parallel port zip drive cable?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:54:41 GMT

I suppose I could buy a ready made cable but I
interested in building one of my own.  Does
anyone know where I can find the pin outs of
the parallel port cable for the iomega zip drive?

-Daniel