From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Frillman)
Subject: Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive...
Date: 15 Mar 1999 17:56:13 GMT

Thomas Lepkowski ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: All the books talk about SCSI drives and parallel port drives, but I
: have an internal IDE Zip drive.  Not SCSI, no parallel port connection.
: What gives?

: Is there anybody out there who can help me with installing an internal
: IDE Zip drive?

There is nothing to do.
It looks like an IDE Hard Drive.
The onlything you may have to so is put an entry for it in your /etc/fstab.

--

                         \   /
                          \ /
                          | /
                        --  --

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brett W. McCoy)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:44:36 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500, Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure to
>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a * (or
>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!

The /proc filesystem is a virtual filesystem and is created dynamically by
the loaded kernel.  /dev is a different story.  You may be better off
backing up your important stuff (i.e., /home & /usr directories),
reinstalling directly onto the new hard drive, and then restoring your
backed up stuff.

But is there any reason you can't keep your boot partition on the current
drive and just create new (and bigger) partitions on the new one?

--
Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/

Buy the negatives at any price.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Spencer)
Crossposted-To: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
Subject: Linux on IBM Thinkpad 560?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:37:34 GMT

I have an older IBM Thinkpad 560 - specifically a 2640-50A. This
machine has a 100mhz pentium, 8meg ram, and DSTN display. I'm
wondering if people have installed any of the Linux distributions on a
similar machine with success? I do not have any Linux boxes at work,
and thought it would be neat to get it up and running on this Thinkpad
so I can show it to fellow IT/MIS people in other offices. More
specifically I'm considering picking up the Redhat distro w/ manual. I
guess the major concern would be support for the 560's sound and
graphics chipset? I would have to install Redhat using a parallel port
cdrom drive, the H45 QuickCD 4x .. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help ..

Mark

From: william_leara@.dell.com (William D. Leara)
Subject: installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:00:28 -0600

The RedHat 5.2 install doesn't seem to be able to recognize drives larger
than 8.4GB.  I ran Partition Magic from DOS and setup Linux ext2 and
Linux swap partitions.  After I boot to the RedHat 5.2 disks, RedHat
install sees the ext2 partition size as "-1500MB" when it should be
1500MB.  Any hints?

Will Leara

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to configure Matrox MGA-G100 display
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:38:57 GMT

I need help to configure Xfree86 to use the Matrox MGA-G100 adapter on Red hat
LInux 5.2.
IŽll apreciate your help.

Tnx.

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 15 Mar 1999 18:01:22 GMT

Michael Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7cjeo2$6eo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Are there any drivers to do large (1MB) tape read and write? The limit
> in 2.0.xx was ~64k, but if we can't do at least 1MB, we're stuck with
> Solaris.

        Why not modify the original or write your own;  that is, after all, one of
the most important things about Open Source, n'est pas?

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Gateway G6-350?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:10:55 GMT

> After working for a great company like Gateway, I find it hard to believe
> that they would continue to carry Mpact's product in their system.  With
> Windows and DVD the Mpact works great.  However, Mpact's persistence to
> not provide any Linux assistance signifies their lackluster support
> efforts.  (And their Web site sucks too.)

The Mpact and Mpact2 chipset production has been discontinued, the company
that developed them (Chromatic Research) has nearly gone out of business and
was acquired by ATI who apparently has no plans to support the Mpact
technology.

Eugene Lubman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CDA Investment Technologies

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bengt Richter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,utah.linux
Subject: Re: Screaming machine crawls when printing
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:45:26 GMT

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:16:47 -0600, Todd Ostermeier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It sounds like your parallel port may be in polling mode.  For
>whatever off reason, this is the default for parports in the 2.2.x
>kernels.  Of course, that doesn't explain why it had the same problem
>with older kernels, except that the parport was probably in polling
>mode then, too.  Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt and see
>if that helps any.

I am wondering if the parallel port or printer driver might benefit
from something I did a long time ago (20+ yrs) in a line printer
driver:

I used *both* polling and interrupt-driven processing, because
the line printer had a buffer that could accept data almost as
fast as I could move it from the requester's buffer -- until the
buffer filled up. Then it would chew for sometimes seconds,
depending on whether motors needed to start, etc.

When I got a ready-interrupt, I would turn off the interrupt and
start a high priority thread which would poll the interface for
ready in a counted loop (to allow just enough busy wait to
get another ready when the printer's h/w buffer was not full,
but short enough that it would very quickly count out when
the busy from buffer-full happened). I would feed the data
as long as the readies were there, and then re-enable the
interrupt to do the long wait.

It is of course very ugly design to hard-code specific counts
for wait-loop expiration, but one could imagine a self-tuning
mechanism that might be safe. The tradeoff is wait loop
vs context switch time. Either one can chew CPU cycles.

This same principle applies to any h/w interface that has
fairly instant ready response for some things and long
waits otherwise, although with today's CPUs "fairly instant"
has to be really quick ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrik Magnusson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: 15 Mar 1999 21:44:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters) writes:
|> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:57:59 GMT, A.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|> >Hi all:
|>

|> >alias sound sb
|> >parameters sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
|> >
|> >When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
|> >annoying hiss comming from the speakers.
|> >
|> >The card doesn't produce *any* hissing under NT.
|> >
|> >Any ideas? My distro is Debian 2.1 for what that matters...

Here's an idea: when the mixer is initialised it turns on the
'line in' or mic. That would certainly produce a hiss.
If this is the case, just use xmixer or something similar to turn
it off.

/Patrik.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with my Ethernet Card!!!!!
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:08:11 -0700

Is this a KTC2000 card? or A KTC20 card? (it says on the top edge of the card if
you look at it)
I have not set one of these up under linux, but I am very farmiliar with these
cards because I work in a computer lab (which uses win95, what a shame...) which
uses just Kingston cards. For the ISA cards we usually just use NE2000
compatable drivers. As I remember, linux does support the NE2000. This will
probably work.

If that doesn't work, try the Tulip driver, I hear it is very flexible in this
respect.

--
Please Make Sure You Are Sending Mail To [EMAIL PROTECTED] to ensure the
fastest reply to your e-mail messages.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Robinson)
Subject: Brother HJ-400
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:42:25 GMT

Hi, this is a desparate plea for anyone who has gotten a relatively
ancient Brother HJ-400 inkjet printer to work in Red Hat 5.2.

Anyone with words of advice?

Post here or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:44:02 -0500

Are you sure the modem setup command string has enabled v.90 ?  Look up
the settings for register S32.   I don't have my chart handy.

------------------------------

From: Eric Peers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card
Date: 15 Mar 1999 18:31:50 GMT

I ran the STB velocity 128 at 1280x1024 and 16bpp without any troubles.
I can toss you the XF86Config file if you like.

I used the standard redhat 5.1 installation of xf86 to accomplish it.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help! eicon diva t/a modem doesn't work under linux.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:21:30 GMT

When I try to use my diva t/a under linux all looks well; the chat script
passes off to pppd after it connects at 128k.  After about 15 seconds PPPD
fails and says "no response to pap authenticate request."

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Nolan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 15 Mar 1999 17:07:14 GMT

Are there any drivers to do large (1MB) tape read and write? The limit
in 2.0.xx was ~64k, but if we can't do at least 1MB, we're stuck with
Solaris.

Thanks,

-Mike Nolan
--
Mike Nolan +1 809 878 2612 ext 280 Fax: +1 809 878 1861 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Arecibo Observatory/Cornell University POBox 995, Arecibo, Puerto Rico 00613

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:18:06 GMT

I'm not the expert at linux yet but I have done what the original post
asked.  I installed redhat 5.2 with a subsequent upgrade to the latest
XFree86.  Here is what I can tell you.  I am using creative labs
graphics blaster with the same riva tnt chipset and it works just
fine.  The way I understand it redhat created its own setup program
called xconfigurator to ease installation.  XFree86Setup is the setup
program supplied by the XFree86 org.  You updated the XFree86Setup
program to go with the new X86 but you didn't go to redhat and get
their UPDATED xconfigurator if you want to use it.  You can either use
the XFree86Setup that came with the updated x server or get the
updated Xconfigurator from redhat to use it.  If you try to use the
old Xconfigurator with the new XFree86 you get the segfault you
experienced.

Rehat is notoriously busy so get www.redhat.com/mirror.html and pick a
mirror.  Here is a randomly selected mirror to the directory where you
can get the updated rpms for the xserver and the updated
xconfigurator.

ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/redhat/updates/5.2/i386/

or the file you need

ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/redhat/updates/5.2/i386/Xconfigurator-3.89-1.i386.rpm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:58:37 +0100

It was the Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:43:53 GMT...
..and Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[schnibble]
> By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.
> It was a stupid comment on my part anyhow :(

Steve, thanks. You just refreshed my belief in reason in a major way.

mawa
--
Q: Why do bagpipers walk when they play?
A: They're trying to get away from the noise.

From: "TC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What about PnP support? Turtle Beach Multisound Pinnacle
Date: 15 Mar 1999 22:45:13 GMT