Linux-Hardware Digest #667, Volume #10            Sun, 4 Jul 99 17:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SCSI reset to detect scanner (John Thompson)
  Re: Help! ISP dial-up. ("m&m")
  Re: Blaster Banshee AGP and Linux (Cassandra Graber)
  Re: Mounting a FAT floppy (William Burrow)
  ThinkPad 600E sound & graphics problems (Fredrik Linaker)
  Re: Sound Card Setup? (Tabman)
  Re: Mouse (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Mitsumi CD-ROM (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Top this!!! (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Help! What could it be? (Denis)
  Re: Scanners in Linux (John Hong)
  17" monitors with BNC and VGA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC (irfon)
  Re: SCSI reset to detect scanner (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: ATI Rage Fury 32MB AGP and SuSE Linux 6.1 (Frédéric Dupuis)
  Re: Scanners in Linux (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Yet another CDR  / cdrecord question ("Whiplash!!!")
  Multiport NIC (Ron Black)
  Re: 17" monitors with BNC and VGA (John Hagen)
  Using two LNE100TX NICs, adapter module fails? ("mnip")

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI reset to detect scanner
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:25:22 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i have only two quantum scsi disks on my box (no IDE disk), the scsi
> host is an adaptec 2490UW2.
> I am using the aic7xxx module for it.
>
> i also have a microtek scsi scanner (scanmaker 630), which works really
> fine with sane.
>
> but, to use it i have to turn on my scsi scanner before i reboot. (which
> i don't do to often ;-) )
>
> my problem is i would like to, somehow, make the scsi host reconize my
> scanner when i turn on my scanner *after* boot.
>
> The solution i thought was to rmmod the aic7xxx modules, which does not
> work: device is busy, of course... I tried to think of something else
> but could find any thing....
>
> But somebody told me it was "impossible" for my root was on a scsi
> partition that could not be unmounted since i have a only-scsi set up.
>
> Any ideas?

If you have the SCSI support as a module you can unload the
module and then reload it to re-initalize the SCSI bus.  But
if your root filesystem is on the same SCSI bus you can't
compile your SCSI support as a module or you won't be able
to mount the root filesystem when you boot up.  If you
installed a second, different SCSI adaptor and ran your
scanner off that you might be able to compile that driver as
a module and thus be able to re-initialize the bus by
reloading the module.  But that could get expensive
(although a scanner doesn't need a high-end bus adaptor;
perhaps an old ISA model from a local flea market would
suffice) and assumes that your system has an available slot
for the second adaptor.

> (Btw i have no scsi terminator, it works fine but i know i should get
> one)

Many modern SCSI devices have automatic termination built
in.  Chances are if yours doesn't, and needs a separate
terminator then the SCSI bus wouldn't be working at all.
Don't sweat it if it works.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "m&m" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sg.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help! ISP dial-up.
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:58:23 -0400

Since you are using RH 6, you should be able to use kppp. It is really easy
to configure because of GUI it represents. If need more help, send me and
email.
m&m

------------------------------

From: Cassandra Graber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Blaster Banshee AGP and Linux
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:33:00 -0400

I had the Banishee working with Mandrake 5.2, so I assume that you
wouldn't have any problems with 6.0.  I plan on upgrading soon and when I
do I will let you know of my results, if you like.

--Cassandra

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Mounting a FAT floppy
Date: 4 Jul 1999 18:38:47 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 02:30:47 GMT,
Bernhard Ernst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I tried mounting a floppy disk that is FAT (FAT12 if I am correct)
>Using mount -t fvat /mnt/floppy /floppy doesn't work, I know this works for

If there is an entry in /etc/fstab, mount /floppy should work.
Otherwise, try su -c 'mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy'.

Make sure that /floppy exists, that the user option is given in fstab
and that /dev/fd0 exists.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: Fredrik Linaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ThinkPad 600E sound & graphics problems
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 20:40:57 +0200

Hi,

I am using an IBM ThinkPad 600E and of course running Linux, RedHat 6.0.

I have the system running at basic functionality but I have the
following problems:

* My external Nokia 446XS monitor always goes into powersave mode when I
start Xwindows (have to press Fn-F7 three times to fix this). This has
to do something with the fact that the internal (i.e. on the laptop)
display is used as default for X?

* I cannot get 85 Hz, as I do in Windows 98 (at 1024x768x24bit), I only
get 60 Hz. What kind of settings/XF86Config-file should I use? (I use
the XSVGA server)

* Sound - cannot install sound support - I ALWAYS get "device or
resource busy"... tried kernel support and ALSA... and I cannot get
anything of the pnpdump...

Please, some help! (Is this the correct newsgroup for these questions?)

Best regards,
Fredrik Linaker

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tabman)
Subject: Re: Sound Card Setup?
Date: 4 Jul 1999 18:09:09 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:18:45 +0200, Henk van der Griendt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have one too (integrated in my Chaintech motherboard).
>Can not get it working in Linux yet.
>If anybody knows how, please share the knowledge.

    I was only able to get my ESS1968 on-board audio to work in Red Hat by
using ALSA ( http://www.alsa-project.org ) Unfortunately, it didn't create
a /dev/dsp ( part of the OSS interface ), so stuff like esound doesn't work.

'later...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| "If you make people think they are
Ian              You may answer in |  thinking, they will love you; if you

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:29:56 +0200

Solace wrote:
> When I start up X-Windows, the mouse always gives me basically no
> control over it, sticking at the upper left hand corner of the
> screen.  When you move the mouse it sometimes jumps a bit in the

It sounds as if you selected the right device but the wrong protocol for
your mouse. Edit XF86Config and try protocols which seem to be for
intellimouse.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mitsumi CD-ROM
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:26:44 +0200

Paul Spencer wrote:
> This has a Mitsumi double speed CD-ROM drive with its own interface
> (not IDE). The model number is CRMC-FXOOD.

I'm running Slackware which I installed on my non-ide mitsumi cdrom.
Slackware has an installation boot-disk for this kind of cdrom.

I don't know if RedHat also has some installation bood disk for the CD,
but maybe it is possible to download the Slackware kernel from
ftp.cdrom.com and use it in some way together with RedHat?

I think the name of the kernel should be mcd.i, there is also another
kernel, xmcd, which says it has better support for the cdrom and will
make it possible to use multisession discs, but that one has only caused
my machine to hang when the CD should have been autodetected.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Top this!!!
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:39:24 +0200

Csaba Raduly wrote:
> Choose a serial mouse if:
> 1. Your computer doesn't have a PS/2 connector :-)
> 2. You have a comfortable/nifty serial mouse without a PS/2 version.
>
> The advantages of PS/2 mice:
> 1. Frees up a serial port
> 2. Modern (ATX) boards have a PS/2 mouse port by default
> 3. Programs like ps2rate can speed up the tracking of the mouse

There are also some disadvantages with a PS/2 mouse which doesn't apply
to a serial mose:

1. Might not start working if connected or reconnected after boot.
2. Might stop working if mose is moved when switching virtual consoles.

A serial mouse could be plugged in after boot and disconnected and
replugged againt without any problems.

The problem with switching virtual consoles can be avoided by running
gpm in some redirect mode.

regards Henrik

From: Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! What could it be?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:19:44 -0400

Hi, I have a strange problem when I'm connected to my ISP (which is a
modem conection to Duke). What is happening is that once I connect and
say surve the web for a while, all of the sudden my netscape can't
connect to any place anymore (I get "Connect: Looking up host:
www.blahblah.com" and nothing happens), or I can't send any email with
my email (kmail) program, nor can i telnet. I noticed that if I
reconnect (i.e. disconnect and then connect back again) it again works
for a while (say 7 minutes). At the same time if from the beginning I'm
listening to some live real audio, then it sometimes stops as well,
while sometimes DOESN'T!

So I dont understand what is going on. Please, help with your thoughts
on that.
thanks.
denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Re: Scanners in Linux
Date: 4 Jul 1999 19:15:20 GMT

Jeremy Fincher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Is it possible to make a scanner that uses a parallel port interface work with
: Linux?  If so, is there a HOWTO or some documentation I could look at?

        In your dreams?  ;-)  The only chance for using a scanner under
Linux right now that I know of is SANE, and that mainly supports SCSI
scanners.  So, it is sort of doubtful.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 17" monitors with BNC and VGA
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:47:00 GMT

Hi!

I'm searching for a decent 17" monitor with two video ins, which I'll
use only under linux (Alpha, x86, hoping soon: MIPS).
I'm used to a Sony 200sf and therefore discarded a Sony 420GST
(19", 2xVGA) and a CTX 1995UE (19", 5-BNC, VGA) because of their
bad pictures at 1152x864 (moire', not sharp enough, no stable picture
at higher frequencies), which is a non-standard resolution.

Does someone know a good 17" monitor with two video ins? I only
found the Iiyama S701GT, A701GT and A702HT but have no chance to
get a look at them in real life.

Looking forward to your responses,
Uli
(PS: this posting has a usable from & reply-to)
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Spanish Bombs (The Clash), Windy (The

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (irfon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuiltalt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.be.help,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 18:26:30 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:05:40 GMT, Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think he's suggesting that only SCSI CD-ROM drives
>were supported by
>OS/2 2.1, which might have been true.

As someone else attested, I also used the Panasonic CR-562b
proprietary CDROM drive on a SoundBlaster interface.

There were no ATAPI drives that I'm aware of at the time, but
there were custom interfaces for Panasonic, Sony, and Mitsumi
drives.  I think all of them worked under OS/2.

---
Irfon-Kim Ahmad
http://members.home.com/irfon/ahmadi/

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:44:32 -0700

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, John Thompson wrote:

> If you have the SCSI support as a module you can unload the
> module and then reload it to re-initalize the SCSI bus.  But
> if your root filesystem is on the same SCSI bus you can't
> compile your SCSI support as a module or you won't be able
> to mount the root filesystem when you boot up.

I use a module and it boots up just fine with an initrd. Don't
think I could unload it, though.
                                        GErald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frédéric Dupuis)
Subject: Re: ATI Rage Fury 32MB AGP and SuSE Linux 6.1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:36:33 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:42:35 -0600, "Brian Merrill"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The only way I could get my own Rage 128 card to work under Caldera 2.2 or
>RH 6.0 was to use the Mach64 chipset.  However, from what I understand from
>anyway for the Rage 128.  Anyways, Mach64 works fine for me.
>
>Brent Justice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:MN6e3.14381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ok I have an ATI Rage Fury 32MB AGP Video Card.  This video card is based
>on
>> the Rage 128GL Chipset.  I am running SuSE Linux 6.1  Now on the box it
>says
>> the kernel is version 2.2.5 but when I installed it it said it was kernel
>> 2.2.7 so maybe I have a better version?  Anyways how do I get X Windows to
>> use the Rage 128?  The only ATI video card chipset listed that comes close
>> is the Mach 64 chipset but thats not the right one.  It dosen't list the
>> video card or the chipset.  How do I set it up?  Or am I stuck with the
>SVGA
>> module.

I also have a ATI Rage Fury card, and I have only been successful with
the framebuffer method some people have previously posted here. This
is not a very good solution however as I am stuck at a 60Hz refresh
rate, and no 2D acceleration. I would be very interested if you could
send me your XF86Config file for the Mach64 server.

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:41:48 -0700

On 4 Jul 1999, John Hong wrote:

> Jeremy Fincher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Is it possible to make a scanner that uses a parallel port interface work with
> : Linux?  If so, is there a HOWTO or some documentation I could look at?
>
>       In your dreams?  ;-)  The only chance for using a scanner under
> Linux right now that I know of is SANE, and that mainly supports SCSI
> scanners.  So, it is sort of doubtful.

don't think you can use a parallel port scanner but SANE is definitely not
the only way to use a SCSI scanner - there is xvscan which works fine here
and there are also programs for specific scanners AFAIK.
                                                            Gerald

------------------------------

From: "Whiplash!!!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet another CDR  / cdrecord question
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:20:08 +0000

I don't think that's it. I already have /dev/cdrw pointing to /dev/hda.
I can read off of the drive with no problems.

If I understand correctly, the device is an IDE device but CDRecord
wants a SCSI one. the ide-scsi module is supposed to make the IDE device
look like a SCSI one right? My problem (I think) is that I can't figure
out how to properly use the ide-scsi module.

Dana

------------------------------

From: Ron Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiport NIC
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 16:21:23 -0400

I would like to develope a router/gateway/firewall system using a linux
box.

The ideal system would have up to eight network interfaces.  I am aware
of an adaptec ana 62044 multiport nic. Will this, or a similar product,
work under any version of linux ?  If so, is it possible to get two such
devices working ?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 13:36:53 +0000
From: John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 17" monitors with BNC and VGA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does someone know a good 17" monitor with two video ins? I only
> found the Iiyama S701GT, A701GT and A702HT but have no chance to
> get a look at them in real life.

I have the iiyama VisionMaster Pro 450 (A901HT) 19 inch monitor and I'm using it
with the 4-headed BNC connector. This monitor and the 17 inch version of it (the
A702HT) have received good reviews from industry press. I've been *very* pleased
with mine. It consistently receives compliments from my visitors.

The only "problem" is that it's flat screen, which results in my thinking that
the corners are bending "up" towards me at times. (Must, really must, lay off
those strange mushrooms I found in the forest...  :-)

If I was in your shoes, I'd go w/ the A702HT - it's got aperture mask and (I
think) the highest refresh rate of the 3 you mentioned. Aperture mask really
helps show the color separation nicely. iiyama did a good job on my A901HT, I
wouldn't have any reservations at all about getting an A702HT for my wife (who
will be needing a 17 inch monitor soon  :-).

Also, get as high a refresh rate as you possibly can, whatever monitor you
choose. This should be easier in the 17 display range. Even if your video card
won't support a middlin' high bandwidth (which gets more and more unlikely every
day), if you ever get a faster card you'll be happy you spent the extra cash on
the monitor.

Try to pick it up from a local vendor - makes things much easier if you have to
return it.

My advice: get as good a tube as you can, you'll probably have it longer than
the system you initially buy it for.

HTH,

--
john hagen ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=============================

------------------------------

From: "mnip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using two LNE100TX NICs, adapter module fails?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:05:39 GMT

I've used Linksys LNE100TX NICs for ages, and now that I'm starting to use
Linux, I'm having trouble getting my machine with two of these cards to
start its ethN modules. The cards don't have any IRQ conflicts, they work in
other OS', and this is a BX6r2 motherboard. The Linux distro is RH6, no
patches yet. One NIC is a static IP on my LAN, the other is for a pure DHCP
cablemodem (but I still plug in the static IP leased every morning with NT4,
at least until I get these cards working under linux).

Is it still a problem to use two identical NICs in the same machine? I saw
mention once that it was, but that was a while ago, with older kernels.