Linux-Hardware Digest #668, Volume #9            Mon, 15 Mar 99 21:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Re: Disk Striping (Henrik Carlqvist)
  HP COLORADO 8GB ATAPI tape (Steve Johnson)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (steve)
  Can't print after Kernel upgrade (Steve Loewinsohn)
  Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive (Barry
Bogart)
  WindowMaker upgrade's broken my themes..... ("Gary J Sanderson")
  Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card (Matt Willis)
  Re: buying a linux box -- advice? (Brad Harris)
  Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive ("Greg Waugh")
  Re: SupraExpress 56i Pro on linux (Karsten Jensen)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  falls flat)
(jedi)
  Re: Modems for Linux and Unix? ("Liam")
  Re: SuSE 6 doc. ("Gero H. Marten")
  Snapscan310 and adaptec 1505AE SCSI adapter ("Dirk Demuynck")
  Re: buying a linux box -- advice? (Paul Gowder)
  Re: Newbie Audio and modem problems ("TC")
  Diamond fusion 16mb (sly)
  Re: OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record (Jeremy)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (Eoin)
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X (Eric Brown)
  pentium 4MB page sizes (Seth Van Oort)
  Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux (George Bonser)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive ("Jeffrey S. Kline")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steffen Kluge)

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Disk Striping
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:18:34 +0100

"Hon N. Tam" wrote:
> I am interested in creating disk striping using both OSes. I know I
> can do it with FreeBSD but I am not sure if it is possible with RH
> 5.2.  I have 2-18.2 Gig U2W disks and I would like to combine them to
> 1-36.4 Gig partition.

>From /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.md :

Tools that manage md devices can be found at
sweet-smoke.ufr-info-p7.ibp.fr
in public/Linux/md035.tar.gz.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Steve Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP COLORADO 8GB ATAPI tape
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:21:41 -0600

Does anyone have a HP COLORADO 8GB ATAPI tape drive working under 2.2.3? I'm
able to read and write files to/from it, but tape positioning does not work.
When doing a 'mt -f /dev/nht0 fsf 1' the ioctl() will return 0, but the tape
drive does nothing.  Also, it appears that end-of-file marks are not being
written.  'mt status' will return (for example) 'File number=0, block
number=51913'.  The file number will never be > 0, even if a 'mt weof' is run.
The current version of mt is mt-st-0.5-1 under RedHat 5.2.

Thanks for any pointers.

- Steve (remove XsXpXaXm in return address)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:51:40 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:54:07 -0500, "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Well, there are several reasons I want to move it.  First of all, it works
>perfectly, second of all, the drive that it's currently on is slow and very
>old and I don't really trust it anymore.  That and I don't really have room
>in the case for it with these new drives.  I suppose I could do it that way,
>but like I said, it's a server so I don't really want it down that long... I
>was hoping I could prepare the second disk, reboot and have it ready to go
>in a few minutes...
>
>Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
>using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
>it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
>just another thought too...

Anybody used DriveCopy to do this?

steve

------------------------------

From: Steve Loewinsohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't print after Kernel upgrade
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:48:45 -0800

My RH5.2 machine mysteriously stopped printing. I can only assume that
this happened after upgrading the kernel to version 2.2.2. I definateley
DID compile the new kernel with parallel port support, and at this point
I'm thinking the problem may be with lpd itself. Anyway here's what I
get:

bash$ /usr/sbin/lpc
lpc> status
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lpc>

When I try to print it just sits there, or complains about not being
able to start the daemon. cf and df files are put in the que but nothing
happens.

lpd is running on the system, although sometimes two instances at once.
I have one printer connected to parallell port or /dev/lp1 (right?).
/etc/printcap looks fine.

So far I have tried editing /etc/printcap to use /dev/lp(0 through 3)
and /dev/printer. I have experimented with killing and restarting lpd. I
have used the RedHat printtool to uninstall and reinstall the printer's
config files. I have removed and recreated the /var/spool/lpd directory.

What do I need to do? It was printing before, I know it was, I'm not
crazy!!!

Obviously, this is very frustrating so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Steve

------------------------------

From: Barry Bogart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:03:56 GMT

Craig and/or Cecilia wrote:

> Hi.  Let me just say up front that, relative to everyone else on this
> newsgroup, I don't
> know jack about linux (or computers in general, for that matter), so if
> anyone can help me
> I would REALLY appreciate it., but please don't assume that I know very
> much when
> giving your answers. Thanks.
>
> My internal SCSI 100 Mb Iomega Zip drive (/dev/sda4 on my computer)
> was working just fine in Red Hat 5.0 . However, I was running low on
> disk space so I installed
> a new 10 Gb hard drive.  much tweaking around, I finally got the thing
> installed correctly, partitioning
> half of  it for linux and half of it for DOS/Windows in FAT32 mode.
> Because I at one point thought
> I had to use Dynamic Drive OVerlay software to read all 10 Gb, I
> re-installed lilo to the root
> partition instead of  the MAster Boot Record.
>
> Now, my Zip Drive does not work in Linux. (It still works in Wondows,
> though!).
> When I put the Zip disk in, it hangs and cannot be ejected without
> restarting the computer.
>
> Its existence, however, is acknowledged by linux. Here are the logs...
>
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
>    IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled,
> synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
>   extended translation=disabled
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt,
> ok.
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
> $Revision: 1.18 $
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP
> 100           Rev: J.03
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Type:
> Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at
> scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host =
> 0, driver = 28
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : extended sense code = 2
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512
> bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00,
> sector 0, absolute sector 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  unable to read partition table
> Mar 10 16:07:34 localhost kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
> a disc in the drive.
>
> I guess that, because of the new drive, linux now incorrectly reads the
> partition table for the zip?
>
> Could this have anything to do with my new hard disk having a FAT32
> partition?
>
> Should I re-install my Zip Drive? IF so, how?
>
> Should I change its scsi ID to 6? If so, how?

> [...]
If yuour new drive is a Maxtor, I would like to know what you used to
partition it (Maxblast or other).

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WindowMaker upgrade's broken my themes.....
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:21:56 -0000

Since upgrading to the new version of WindowMaker my background images don't
update when I change to a different theme. I've checked that libjpeg's
installed which it is, so what am I missing?

Also when I try and run wmakerconf it dumps out with a 'sigsev caught' error
and mentioning something like 'no crontab for user xxxx' not sure of the
<exact> terminology (I'm having to use my Windoze box at the mo).

Please help, Gary.

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:53:36 GMT

Paul Mc Kenna wrote:

> > What soundcard do you attach the cdrom to. Does the soundcard needs to be
> > initialized? or is it configured using jumpers? some linux-soundcard drivers
> > also handle the eide-interface setup. for a more precise answer i need to
> > know more about your specific soundcard
> >

> I believe it was a generic Taiwanese board. I think I had it originally
> installed with the ESS 1688 drivers under windows 95. It is a plug and play type
> card. The few jumpers on it seem to be associated with things like the mike
> input and line out. I don't think any of the jumpers have anything to do with
> IRQs of disabling plug and play etc.
>
> I would really like to be able to use this computer for my linux setup. If the
> setup of this card is too problematic, maybe you could suggest some other
> (cheap) card which I could use instead.Thanks.

Your CD-ROM may not even be an IDE device.  Is there actually a master/slave/cable
select jumper on it?  Don't forget that the Sony/Panasonic(? one of those might be
Mitsumi, I don't remember) CD-ROM interfaces also use 40-pin connectors.  What speed
is your CD-ROM?  Generally speaking, if it's 4x or less, there's a good possibility
that it's a proprietary interface and you're just wasting mental clock cycles.  :-)

------------------------------

From: Matt Willis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:54:41 +0000

Card is compatible. If you use it at 32bpp, you should upgrade to the
most recent version of XFree86.

- Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Harris)
Subject: Re: buying a linux box -- advice?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:13:11 GMT

Not to many here in town..
 I can think of a few far out though.. See, I'm only 17 and I am not
really trusted very quickly...
I will get a list of everyone I can think of, I don't keep real good
track records, guess I need to work on that eh?

------------------------------

From: "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500

Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure to
do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a * (or
a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!

Greg Waugh ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Manager of Systems Operations
Productivity OnLine

------------------------------

From: Karsten Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SupraExpress 56i Pro on linux
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:53:51 +0100

Claus Jul Larsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a compaq presario with the SupraExpress Pro 56i (56K modem). I've
> troubles with the modem init. I wroted: AT+MS=V34,1,28800,33600 - but the
> xisp say the modem init had failed.. :-( - maybe the carriage return code
> doesn't here? If it's the reason, what is the carriage return code for
> linux?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Claus
I have the same modem, and it is a winmodem

Karsten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  falls
flat)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:57:31 -0800

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:28:04 +0000, Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jeff Szarka wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:03:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
>> wrote:
>>
>> :On 14 Mar 1999 12:21:03 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:43:45 +0000, Michael McConnell
>> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>
>> :>:On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Don wrote:
>> :>:
>> :>:> Gerhard Traeger wrote:
>> :>:> >
>> :>:> > On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
[deletia]

>> :>
>> :>Oh yea but...
>> :>
>> :>"Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
>> :>you should first try to ask how to do things properly."
>> :
>> :       Or mebbe you should have set the options you actually
>> :       wanted when they were being spoonfed to you the first
>> :       time.
>>
>> I change resolutions quite a bit, why should it be such a
>> inconvenience to change a stupid setting?

        Why?

        I personally find it more generally relevant that the
        xploder gui shell doesn't have sensible unbound filetype
        defaults and that one must hack a poorly documented
        registry to get some.

        Outside of systems like the Atari ST, constant res switching
        seems rather an artificial issue.

>It isn't.
>You are trying to make it that way.
>
>And *if* you *really* want to edit, there is but the *one* (1) file,
>XF86Config to edit for your xserver resolution.
>Assuming there is only one way to do something in linux is not a wise
>assumption. Insisting it is, when given other methods, is ridiculous.

        Nah, he's just intent on overlaying a DOSism on top of
        Unix in order to make it look bad. With perhaps the exception
        of some of the older games, I am unfamiliar with anyone that
        constantly futzes with their resolution in WinDOS.

        For those few apps that might benefit from resswitch, the
        app can do it on it's own.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "Liam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems for Linux and Unix?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:54:36 -0500

>> >If you have a modem running successfully under Linux I
>> > wouldn't mind getting the brand and model #.

I'm running a USR Sportster 5600 Voice Internal.

------------------------------

From: "Gero H. Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 6 doc.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:33:41 +0100

Matthew Wilby wrote:

> Does any one know of any books or urls where I can obtain documentation for
> SuSE 6, further to what is discussed in the manual (little vague at times
> for a newbie like me) as all the books around seem to revolve around Red
> Hat.
>
> cheers

Assuming You don't use SuSE 6.0 (otherwise You wouldn't have asked?),
try <ftp.suse.com>, where they have a complete manual in *.dvi format.
Look under the directory /pub/suse60/docs or something similar.

--
Gero H. Marten
<http://www.provi.de/gmarten/index.html>

From: "Dirk Demuynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,fido.belg.linux,linux.redhat.announce,linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Snapscan310 and adaptec 1505AE SCSI adapter
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:41:04 +0100

Hi,

Does someone knows how to install/configure the Agfa Snapscan 310 and the
SCSI adapter ADAPTEC 1505AE on RH5.2 ??

Which drivers??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gowder)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:51:15 GMT

in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Harris) did something
allowing me to incorporate a very witty verb in this line and produced:
>Not to many here in town..
> I can think of a few far out though.. See, I'm only 17 and I am not
>really trusted very quickly...
>I will get a list of everyone I can think of, I don't keep real good
>track records, guess I need to work on that eh?

It would help your business.  :)

From: "TC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Audio and modem problems
Date: 15 Mar 1999 22:37:56 GMT

Your kernel has no support for pnp-hardware. For the sound try OSS.
Using pnp-devices is better with kernel 2.2.2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]////// (sly)
Subject: Diamond fusion 16mb
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:04:29 GMT

Cannot run xwindows svga. anyone have a solution?

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:54:45 +0000

Mike Epstein wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 5.2, with kernel 2.2.3.  I've just configured my
> on-board Yamaha OPL3-SAx manually with insmod, and when I play a sound
> (either with "play" from the command line or with FreeAmp) each
> segment (about a second or so) of the sound plays three times, then
> the next segment plays, and so on.  The card works fine under Win95.
> I don't seem to have any IRQ, I/O or DMA conflicts according to the
> relevant entries in /proc.  Has anyone solved this problem?  I'd
> appreciate any help.
>
> --mike
>
>   ZZ                http://hcs.harvard.edu/~mike/  mike at hcs.harvard.edu
>
>                     [will work for sig quote]

You have either a IRQ or DMA conflict. I had the same problem when both my
card and my parallel port was trying to use IRQ 5. To check and see what the
error is,  reboot the computer or remove and re-insert the sound drivers,
then run a command-line sound program. I got a an error that the sound driver
could not use IRQ 5.  After switching the sound driver to IRQ 9, I have not
had that problem. I hope that helps!  -  Jeremy    (I noticed that /proc does
not always list all devices, according to it I did not have a conflict
either)

------------------------------

From:  (Eoin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:36:48 GMT

        Well, I've done a little w/PM4. I have not done what you're
proposing, although the program is willing to do it. What I have done
with it is resize and also move ext2 partitions. By move I mean
"slide" them away from the beginning of the drive. This involves
moving all the data and superblocks and so forth. This has worked just
fine and the system came back up and ran without any troubles.
Although it was all on the same drive, the essential elements of what
you propose were all executed except the copying/moving of the boot
sector. I suggest you make a boot floppy beforehand so you can run
LILO again. Also, I only resized partitions twice, and only slid the
one, so maybe I got lucky. Backups are a good idea :) HTH

                        --Eoin

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:54:07 -0500, "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
>using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
>it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
>just another thought too...

Addressable as Bullwinkle in the
commercial domain of mostlysunny

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:58:00 -0600
From: Eric Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X

OK, I got all of that.  I'm still having some serious problems.  For whatever
reason, it's only starting the VGA16 server, and not the SVGA server, even though
I specified during xf86config that I wanted SVGA.  One thing I noticed is that the
startup messages from startx made mention of Linux 2.20, and I'm, running 2.0.36.

Could this be the culprit?  If so, exactly what RPMs are needed to get up to 2.20?

Thanks,

Eric

------------------------------

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pentium 4MB page sizes
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:51:53 +0000

Has the 4 Meg page size for the pentium ever been used?

Seth

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.debian.user
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Bonser)
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:18:26 GMT

In article <bDdH2.2455$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "A.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
> annoying hiss comming from the speakers.

Try this:

reboot the system. At the lilo boot: prompt, assuming your boot image is called
Linux type the following:

boot: Linux append="no-hlt"

Reload the modules and see if the hissing goes away.  If it does, it is likely
caused by the cpu coming in and out of "halt on idle" ... probably due to
network traffic appearing at the ethernet (or it could be caused by speaker
cables too near your video or network cables). Do you also hear the hissing
when you move the mouse?

Anyhow, if that fixes it ... live with it if you can because running the
machine in this mode makes the CPU a lot hotter and the machine less stable.

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:45:41 -0600

Actually...

Thats all I ever do. I use MC (midnight commander), and tag and copy files
and dir's over to floppies, by dir and only the ones I really need that I've
changed or added. I also make sure there is at least 2 hard drives in the
box. Then I mount that drive, formatted as ext2 of course, and just drag
copies of all homes and other important stuff that isn't backed up, and that
wont fit on floppies over there and have them available to restore
afterwards.

Another would be to use one of those parallel port Zip drives and fdisk and
format a few carts for it and do the backups to it. Since owning one of
these, they come in handy and you can make genuine ext2 zip cartriges out of
the regulars and they are reliable and nice to have on hand. If you need
help, holler and I'll pass on the proceedure to install the driver, make
them, mount and unmount them. I do it all the time and it's rather embedded
in my cranial.

Only copy the system stuff you need such as a few of the files in the /etc
folder and /usr. Even the /dev dir is recreated with standard stuff when you
install new.  The rest of it is also recreated when you install new system.
If you are doing things right, any changes you made to kernal and other
stuff such as terminfo, etc., you kept a log of this so you can mimik it on
the new one right??!!! When done, just use mc, and drag em' back on there
and restart.

Jeff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 16 Mar 1999 12:27:31 +1100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In a nutshell my belief has always been,
>"Select the application, and then the platform"

This is rather simplistic, I'm afraid. But otherwise it wouldn't
fit in a nutshell, I guess ;-)

Most users frequently run a number of applications, not all of
which may be equally well supported on any given platform. Thus
you have to compromise. Then there are those applications they
don't run frequently but still don't want to miss entirely.
This can give one platform the edge over another. BTW it is not
so much the applications that need to be supported, it is the
specific problems that need to be solvable. If you *want* the
application "Client for Microsoft networking" then you don't
have much choice - if all you want is a solution to your
connectivity problem your choices are much wider.

A very important consideration (for many users) is the stability
and overall performance of the platform. How good does it let
the applications be?

Rarely, this optimisation problem can be solved by pointing to a
single platform (I could for me, though :-). This is why lilo
supports multi-OS booting.

>Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
>advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
>others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
>to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
>have very specific needs that those programs can address.

Apparently neither Unix nor Windows nor MacOS address the whole
spectrum of computer literacy among users. I dare to assert that
Unix covers a wider range though, with Windows better at times
for the lower range of this spectrum but brutally confined
there. Unix may be frustrating to the beginner but this
frustration quickly gives way to appreciation as enlightenment
sets in. Windows seems to be the other way around. It may be
easy to beginners (something I'd debate in some cases) but gets
increasingly frustrating the more you know (or want to know)
about computing. This doesn't imply that users *have* to strive
to improve their computer literacy. Staying a "Microsoft user"
is a perfectly acceptable choice. I just don't like people who
made this choice lecturing about how bad the other alternatives
are.

>By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.

Well green is really way backward, although it is supposedly
good for the eyes. Towards the end of the century people much
prefer terminal windows with black-on-white or
something-on-transparent characters.  ;-)

Cheers
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>