Linux-Hardware Digest #705, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 04:13:51 EST

Contents:
  Ethernet card IP setup in RedHat 5.2 ("Icon")
  Re: Speed..Speed..Speed (Dan Nagle)
  Re: D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody? (Johan Kullstam)
  CM8330 sound card (Douglas Stella)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steve)
  irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1 (Ulrich Hahn)
  choosing a portable (Anders Peterson)
  Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD (Robert Ribnitz)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session      falls flat)
(Zenin)
  Re: can't boot up a udb (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    (Robb Shecter)
  Re: No modem response (Allen)
  Re: Burning.... (Gianni Mariani)
  Re: 2.2.3, ess 1888, & insanity ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive... (Eric)
  SoundBlaster Live! ("Dave Moczulski")
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (John Burton)
  Re: cpu has "F0 0F" bug? (k.-h.herrmann)
  Micron Trek2 PCMCIA trouble? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  X and motherboard asus sp97v (Julien Canivet)
  IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus) (biv)
  Installation problemas ("Luis")
  TG96xx. Could not set resolution using Xconfigurator ("Kenichi Kato")
  Re: Information about HP 695C (Glen L. Spangler)

From: "Icon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ethernet card IP setup in RedHat 5.2
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:21 GMT

Ethernet card IP setup in RedHat 5.2

I have 2 linux boxes at home. I installed RedHat 5.2 off of 2 differnet
CD-Roms. The first one works mint. The other one however is having problems
getting onto the internet.

The IP,DNS,subnet mask is OK. Default gateway is ok as well

After it boots up the eth0 is initialized and ifconfig shows all correct
info,,,except irq and DMA address which I am not sure what they are so I
tried 10 210-300 and it didn't change anything.

I can ping the static IP assigned to the card but nothing outside the box
includibg the default gateway nor the other box that is humming in the same
IP block connected to the same HUB.

The NIC is OK because the box is dula-booted into 95 and 95 is flying on the
net with it.

What else can I do????

If you have any suggestions please post them.

From: Dan Nagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Speed..Speed..Speed
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:08 GMT

Check out http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/ for a more-than-complete
answer to your question.

Roughly, it's the slowest step which slows you down.  Processors are
faster than memory.

--

Cheers!
Dan Nagle               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:04 GMT

"Minh Doan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just wondering if anybody who uses the D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet
> adapter with RedHat (I have 5.2) could tell me how they set it up?
>
> I can't seem to find it among the network adapters cards available.

look on the card and see which chipset it is using.  i have a d-link
dfe-500tx and it's a dec tulip 21140.  yours is some other chipset.
find that out.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Douglas Stella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CM8330 sound card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:28 GMT

I have a CM 8330 sound card, and my configuration try is not evolution.
I hope config my sound card with your help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:30 GMT

Yes and I agree. We need to smooth the rough edges and make the tools
easier to use. This way the new users discovering Linux can exploit
the power of said tools without getting frustrated.
Steve

Snipped a lot of stuff to save cycles....

------------------------------

From: Ulrich Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:06 GMT

..but when opening it or starting pppd on it I  just get IO-errors.
Is there a new device coming up?

--
kind regards
 -ulrich-

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=get%20u_hahn
request my key for a secure answer
PGP fingerprint: 5AC7 FCA6 D0E5 5A5D  DA58 01B0 5458 6BA8

While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one you don't
keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove.
  -- Edward Stevenson

------------------------------

From: Anders Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: choosing a portable
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:10 GMT

I have a Toshiba Portégé 300CT running S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3. My plan is to
buy a new (much better) portable and upgrade to S.u.S.E. Linux 6.0.

Most of the computers I’ve looked at, like the HP OmniBook 4150, use a
256bit NeoMagic graphics chip. Linux has no support for these (only
128bit versions). NeoMagic is by far the most popular graphics chip
today. All the better portables use the 256bit version. Linux will just
have to support it. Does anyone know when this will happen?

I found the MiTac MiNote 6020. It has a 100MHz system bus (the worlds
first I’m told), and an ATI RAGE LT PRO graphics accelerator with 8MB
SGRAM and full AGP 2x mode bus support. I like this.

The S.u.S.E. hardware compatibility database says that ATI RAGE LT PRO
is supported but not with LCD screens (not on portables).

VA Research sells the VarBook 120 preinstalled with Linux. According to
them everything except sound works (they’re working on that). “The
VarBook 120 - based on the popular NEC LX …”

The NEC Versa LX uses ATI RAGE LT PRO. The S.u.S.E. hardware
computability database must be wrong.

VA Research can’t supply the VarBook 120 with a Swedish keyboard (I
assume). NEC portables are not sold in Sweden. But, if the ATI RAGE LT
PRO really does work I can buy the MiNote 6020. Can anyone help me here?

Anyone have other suggestions for portables that work with Linux?
(including sound)

/Anders
--
Anders Peterson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], +46-(0)70-843 78 92
Optimatika, www.optimatika.se, +46-(0)8-614 50 05

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Ribnitz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:15 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Kirouac)
wrote:

> I have read that Linux is SystemV derived while there are the BSDs,
>FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> OpenBSD.
>
> If my objective is mainly to build a data server, which one should
>I select?
> Does it matter?
>
> Can you recommend a reading on this?

IMO, it doesnt matter that much, samba is available for all of them,
and thats what you'll prolly be using (supposing the workstations are
WinDoze).

OpenBSD vs. FreeBSD: OpenBSD places their strength on Security and
Stability, while FreeBSD/NetBSD is more of a 'hack' (which doesnt
necessarily mean it is worse than OpenBSD.

Also with LINUX you get -according to distribution -some configuration
editors which make setup/adding/removing programs a bit easier.

Robert

------------------------------

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
falls flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:03 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Steve Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        >snip<
: I agree, but as long as you are working at making labor saving equipement
: you goal is to keep evolving towards equipment that makes a chore less and
: less work.  That includes finding ways to reduce the time/effort in
: getting up to speed on the labor saving device.

        Spending effort optimizing the learning curve instead of optimizing
        the efficiently of use once learned is always a mistake in the long
        run for any application that will be used more then once.

        You only learn something once, but more often then not you use it
        quite a few times. -Which is also one of the things I can't stand
        about Java (trying to get back on topic:-) -- That is that it bends
        over backwards to get new users up to speed at the cost of usage
        efficiency for those that have learned it...

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: can't boot up a udb
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:15 GMT

Eric Melville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> error over and over and over. it says something like "reason: error in
> ECC, retryable" or something like that. it goes by too fast to get a
  ^^^

ECC is the memory error correction stuff.  are you using true parity memory
(not virtual parity, that fakes the parity bit)?  if so, sounds like you've
got royally screwed memory.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.3        i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Robb Shecter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:35 GMT

Gerhard Traeger wrote:

> On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
>
> > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
>
> > Linux:
> > Edit config files and god know's what else
>
> He?
> Where´ve you got this one?
> Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
> <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
>
> Way simpler than searching for the "desktop - properties - settlings" icons!

No, I don't think this is "way simpler".  (Me: longtime linux user, admin,
hacker, programmer, etc.)  The poster has a -very- valid point that system
configuration needs to have a canonical and easy to drill-down interface.  A key
sequence is bad, because you have to memorize it.  It's also bad because it's
hard to document.  (Where -is- it documented?  By whom? The Linux distribution
maker, or XFree, or the window manager programmer?)

Having configurations in one place (like, starting in the properties tool)
-eliminates- the need for documentation about where to find it.  This is -the-
scalable solution.  It's just good software engineering that something that
eliminates the need to document is usu. better.

Although I'm an experienced Linux user, I wish that Linux was better in this
respect.  Most people want to get a job done, or do their particular thing.  For
me, that's doing OO programming on Linux.  Every minute I spend learning how to
tune/configure X-Windows is a minute wasted.

> Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
> you should first try to ask how to do things properly.

It's too bad that one -has- to ask how to change a system property...

- Robb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: No modem response
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:37 GMT

Is your built-in Com 2 port disabled in the CMOS setup?

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:23:54 -0500, "Greg Millen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I should have mentioned it is an ISA card.
>

>>I am a newbie to Linux and cannot get my modem to respond. I read the man
>>pages and the posts in this group plus some other info sites, no joy so
>far.
>>
>>In the BIOS my COM2(cua1) shows 2f8.
>>
>> setserial /dev/cua1 shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>setserial /dev/modem shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>/dev/cua0 is the mouse and set to 3f8 IRQ4.
>>
>>If I go into minicom and try to dial with CTRL A D and ISP number the modem
>>does nothing.
>>setting local echo and ATZ or ATI shows no response also.
>>
>>The modem is a 33600 and has a Rockwell chipset and labelled :
>>
>>RC336ACFA
>>R6749-25
>>ROCKWELL 96
>>9722 B29731-3
>>MEXICO
>>
>>The modem worked previously in W98 so I am assuming it is not the modem
>>hardware.
>>
>>Any help appreciated.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burning....
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:36:13 GMT

Everything you every wanted to know ...
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/

and the Linux reference is in here :
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq06.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2.2.3, ess 1888, & insanity
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:59:16 GMT

Heres my experience with the 1888. I have a Compaq Presario 3060. I can set up
the BIOS to use IRQ 7 for the printer and IRQ 5 for the ESS. If I boot Windows
98, it runs just fine, and Windows 98 tells me thats where it is - on IRQ 5.

Now if I try and configure ESS 1888 as a SB under Linux 2.0.36 or 2.2.2 if I
tell it to use IRQ 5, the driver gives an error immediately and says the IRQ
test failed. Now if I for example give IRQ 7, it loads fine, and works for a
while and then dies, with the same timout symptoms that you described. Editing
the code in the way you describe does not help. I have played with this for a
while - I have noticed that I can tell the sb driver to load using a number of
different interrupts and it works in the way you describe. But it never works
if I give it the interrupt it really is.

I gues there is a bug in the driver at a more fundamental level.

Best Regards,
Nick

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:30 GMT

Thomas Lepkowski wrote:

> All the books talk about SCSI drives and parallel port drives, but I
> have an internal IDE Zip drive.  Not SCSI, no parallel port connection.
> What gives?
>
> Is there anybody out there who can help me with installing an internal
> IDE Zip drive?
>
> Thanks!
>
>     -TML

It otta be picked up as a hard drive during install.  Create a mount point
for it, say /mnt/zip, then mount it, something like mount /dev/hdc4
/mnt/zip.  To figure out what your zip is called determine where it is
installed.  If it is the master on your secondary IDE controller (like
mine), then it will be hdc4, if it is the slave on your primary IDE
controller, then it will be hdb4.  For some reason they always seem to
want to be the 4th slice.  If you are using RH 5.x, linuxconf has a handy
utility for setting things like this up.
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Dave Moczulski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:47 GMT

does anyone know how to use sndconfig to get the SoundBlaster Live! to work.
I'm currently running Mandrake Linux 5.3  it says that a PCI audio card is
found, but unknown.  and i try everything but can't get it to work right.
thanks.  a reply by email is aprreciated.

Dave

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:39 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Ummm...not quite... bottom end single processor Alpha servers are about
> > the same price as top end Intel dual processor servers - single 533Mhz
> > 21164 w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500, dual 500Mhz Pentium III
> > w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500... Alpha servers go up in
> > performance & price from there, Intel Servers go down in performance and
> > price from there...
>
> there *are* quad intel boxen.  they also generally cost more than
> $4500.  still, i'd rather have a fast alpha.

I know that there are quad Intel boxes, just as I know there are lower
priced Alpha systems.. the ones I originally mentioned were somewhat
equivalent in a server environment (without getting into the details of
the MB architecture) in that they had the same amount of memory (256MB),
the same amount of disk space (9.1GB) and the same type of disk
subsystem (U2W SCSI)... one *primary difference is that its a *single*
Alpha vs. a *dual* Intel at approximately the same clock speed (533Mhz
for Alpha, vs 500Mhz for Intel). Some app mixes would do better on the
dual Intel setup, other mixes would do better on the single Alpha
system...

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (k.-h.herrmann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: cpu has "F0 0F" bug?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> Under what conditions is this bug triggered?  Wouldn't have already been
> triggered if Microsoft hadn't have implemented a fix?  Or is it one of
> those "sparratic" things that happens?

I don't know the complete command (it's four bytes long, the first two
are f0 0f).  Point is: The instruction is illegal and doesn't make any
sense.

But: Anybody who knows this could write a mini program with these four
bytes in a data word and then jump there -> Prozessor ist standing and
waiting for reboot.

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Micron Trek2 PCMCIA trouble?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 05:10:40 GMT

  I followed the instruction on the page
http://www.atd.ucar.edu/homes/oncley/micron/micron.html to try to install
linux in my Micron Transport Trek2 laptop. I succeeded in installing X.

  However, I have no luck to install my 3COM 3CXEM556 multifunction
card (56k modem + 10baseT LAN). The PCMCIA card is supported under linux
because I installed the same card in other laptop before. The laptop
simply do not see the PCMCIA card. I tried to upgrade redhat linux 5.1
with supplementary floppy so that I can enable PCMCIA support in the process.
The procedure stucked when starting "starting PCMCIA services" .

  The existing redhat 5.1 linux was installed before without enabling PCMCIA
in the installation. Can you help me? How can I make the laptop see the
PCMCIA card?

  I updated the linux system with latest update file from redhat, including
kernel, kernel-pcmcia-cs, X, etc.

Henry

From: Julien Canivet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: X and motherboard asus sp97v
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:31 GMT

I've problems to install X because of my video card which is integreted
to my motherboard. It is a asus sp97v and is not recognised by redhat
5.2
thanx

juju

=====================================
Julien Canivet
Siegmunds Hof 2-4
62.11.00.11
10555 Berlin

email : [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel : +49 (0) 30/ 39 84 84 16

------------------------------

From: biv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:22 GMT

I welcome All!

I, have IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus), but I can not find the
driver under Linux.
On www.tekram.com, I anything under Linux have not found, is only under SCO
Unix, Novel Netware, Windows 95/NT.
Maintenance of function of caching under DOS, in this controller, are written
down in BIOS, but I think, that in Linux, without the driver, function of
caching will not work.
Help me to connect this controller under Linux.

The answers, I ask to send on mine Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beforehand is grateful for the help.

------------------------------

From: "Luis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installation problemas
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:41 GMT

Hello,

I'm trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a Pentium 200 MMX machine with 32 Mb
Ram, 2.1 Gb HDD , 1 ATAPI CDROM on the secondary IDE controller and a
J-5TXBR2(Bios:8-4-1997).

But I have some problems that with my friends don’t have with the same
installation.

1-
When I start the installation process and during the process I don’t have
any problem. But, when this finish, the Red Hat reboot the computer and the
LILO appears. So I can choose to go to Win98 or Linux. If I go to Win98, I
don’t have any problem, but when I go to Linux, the Lilo start sending
messages to the screen and in a few seconds the computer reboot again. I try
again and it does the same.

The things that I do in the process installation are(I start from Dos
system):
-‘autoboot’ from RedHat 5.2 CD,
-choose language and keyboard,
-local cdrom,
-using Disk Druid(hda1 goes to Win98(1G)/hda5 goes to Linux Native(1G on ‘/
) /hd6 goes to Linux Swap(100Mb) ) – these are the values (+/-) that I put.
-format the partitions,
-choose the components to install,
-configure the mouse, clock, select services, printer and monitor,
-put the root password,
-create the boot disk,
-install lilo to MBR,
-and it stays ready to reboot,
-the lilo appears,
-the messages too
-and … reboot again
-… do the same thing
-… … … and it goes again

And this is the my great problem.

2-
When it starts to load linux and certain message appears, how can I see one
to one on monitor, something like ‘pause and continue’? I do this question
because it’s so fast that I can’t see anything … only on the beginning when
it just load the linux.

3-
If I start the linux from the linux boot disk, when I start the installation
procedure the system hangs up after the
recognition of the IDE controllers, with no reboot (only hard reboot).

And it stops here:
ide:18237 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000 - 0xf007
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008 - 0xf00f

What could this be?
So, the only I can do is to start the process installation from  the Linux
CD(using autoboot) and begin with the process installation above.

4-
I saw in somewhere that the root partition ‘/’  must be in the first 1024
cylinders. Could this be my problem? If so, how can I fix the problem?
Should be make the boot on  ‘/boot’?

Well, after getting the Linux CD(RedHat 5.2 + boot disk), I get always the
same problem with different process installations. I try to install it in
another computers and it works fine. So my suspects goes to Bios? Hard
Drive? Or my computer? I don’t know what to do next.

Thank you in advance

Sincerely

Luis Correia

------------------------------

From: "Kenichi Kato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TG96xx. Could not set resolution using Xconfigurator
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:54 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.1 on my DIY Pentium Cyrix 266.
I have a Trident 9685-chip SVGA PCI card. I tried using
Xconfigurator to set my resolution to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600
or 1024 x 768. When I STARTX, it always start at 320 x 200.
Why is that ?? Could someone help me on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Kato

From: Glen L. Spangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information about HP 695C
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:42 GMT

Fagni Tiziano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is this printer compatible with Linux? Thanks for help.

I have the same question concerning the HP697C.