Linux-Hardware Digest #752, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 14:14:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: UDMA and Asus P5A (Scott Hunter)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     falls flat)
(Steffen Kluge)
  Re: Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux. ("Jim Pappe")
  Re: HP Omnibook 800 CT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (Bill Anderson)
  CD music....HELP! (Eric Price)
  Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a!  DO NOT READ THIS! ("Charles Sullivan")
  celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons (dsyates)
  Dell Inspiron 7k (BigKingFrg)
  Re: SMC EZ ethernet card trouble (Aris CRuz)
  Re: celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons (Greg Yantz)
  Re: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision! ("James Kosin")
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (doole)
  Re: Linux & PCI Modems ("Richard Miller")
  Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner support in Linux (Warren Mann)
  Re: SiS 6326 (Ed Wilts)
  linux on mitac 6033w? (Kenneth John Gardiner)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (doole)
  from 2.0.34 to 2.2.3 ("ComFuMasta")
  Re: Linux on E-Machine... (Mac)
  Re: AOpen external modem FM56-EX on Linux, get it? (Colin)
  supported Burner in Linux ? ("Sébastien Dionne")
  Re: CD music....HELP! (brian moore)
  Re: Canon BJC 6000 - supported (Jan)
  Re: failure to find floppy controller ("B. Collins")
  Re: $2500.00 DREAM machine (Sean)

From: Scott Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA and Asus P5A
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:05 GMT

Geoff Shukin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am wanting to learn more about Linux and the use of
> UDMA (UDMA2) drives on my system.

. . .

> Is there a resource available that might explain this more thoroughly?
> Could there be a bug or incompatibility with the Asus P5A and the Kernel
> version I am using (RedHat 5.2 , no mods)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

Geoff,

An upgrade to the 2.2 kernel will get your P5A to work with UDMA.  I wasn't

able to get UDMA going on my P5A with the 2.0.36.  I tried to patch it up
using the UDMA code but failed.  (FWIW my disk is a Seagate).

Good luck,

SAH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:06 GMT

Zenin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       $ for dir in `find . -type d`; do
>       > mkdir $dir/icons
>       > for image in `find $dir -name '*.jpg'`; do
>       > convert -geometry 64x64 $image $dir/icons/`basename $image`
>       > done
>       > done
>       And yes, I and thousands of other "archaic" CLI users do type stuff
>       like the above off the top of our heads on command lines all day
>       long.

Yes, because you don't really have to remember any of those
command lines as a whole. You just make them up as you go. This
is true communication between intelligible systems. You don't
have to learn and remember all sentences you are ever going to
use in inter-human communication either, do you? A GUI (at least
in the form commonly used nowadays) is just like that - a dialog
based on canned phrases, with no way of expressing anything that
hasn't been "pre-thought".

That's why the single most important X application is xterm (and
friends).

Cheers
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: "Jim Pappe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:09 GMT

Here's an option using SCSI and not PCI:

Our Enterprise RAID systems range from 66GB up to terabyte and do RAID
levels 0/5. The solution is hardware-based RAID, and will work with any
host/NOS that supports wide SCSI. The enclosures are made specifically for
RAID: they have hot-swappable trays, fans and power supplies. Very clean!
Our 66GB array starts off at $4995. 150GB is just under $9K. Rackmounts are
also available.

Check out the Entreprise RAID at our web site under Enterprise:

http://www.dynamicnetworkfactory.com

Jim Pappe
Dynamic Network Factory
510-733-0103

<7clma1$2g9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HP Omnibook 800 CT
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:11 GMT

Hi, Andreas,
    I've been running Linux on my HP 800ct since this past September.  In the
beginning, I had trouble getting X Windows to work 'cuz NeoMagic was really
stiff about their specs.  I finally stumbled upon www.precisioninsight.com ( a
God-send really), and they have pretty much all you need for setting up X
Windows on a computer with NeoMagic video cards.  I'm still working on getting
the sound card configured.  The card is supposedly a SoundBlasterPro, but
sndconfig can't seem to sense the PnP card.  -Winston Chow

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:13 GMT

doole wrote:

> Tim Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> apparently said this:
> >
> >surely 'why not?' is an equally appropriate question here... and in many
> >cases you could replace the word 'need' with 'want' which is just as
> >valid.
> >

> If I'm a cop and I'm under all of those pressures and trying to get to
> some pervert, I don't give a crap what you want; I'm just trying to
> get the job done. Maybe I look in the wrong place once in a while. If
> I knew in advance where to look, we wouldn't be having these problems.
>
> And if I'm not a cop (and I'm not) I WANT him/her to get the job done.
>
> Don't you? I don't "want" the cops to be up against any more than they
> already are.
>
> Sorry, but I'm right.

wtf was that all about??

------------------------------

From: Eric Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: CD music....HELP!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:16 GMT

Hello Folks!!!

I need someone's help.

My soundcard is working fine, I am running a P-166 /w Red Hat Linux 5.2
installed.

I have  OPL-SA3 intergrated sound card but can only configure it using
Sound Blaster drivers with the following configuration :

IRQ=5
DMA=1 (at least one of the DMAs)
IO=220

I can play wav files without a problems.....MIDIs too...

Only one problem : I cannot play ANY audio CDs....they play all
right...but no music comes out of my speakers... Anyone have ANY tips?

Thanks a whole bunch

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a!  DO NOT READ THIS!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:18 GMT

Check to see that the roller bars that contact the ball are clean.  My old
M$
bus mouse (circa 1991) has stainless steel rollers that always seem to
collect gunge.  My new M$ Intellimouse has some sort of black plastic
rollers
that so far seem to stay a lot cleaner - I haven't yet experienced any
skipping.
(The newer ball looks the same but may be a different material that doesn't
pick
up and transfer as much dirt to the rollers.)

------------------------------

From: dsyates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:17 GMT

I keep hearing what a good deal the celerons(with 128 l2 cache are). But
all I here about is the 300a. Is this because it is the cheapest, or the
easiest to overclock ?Why would someone recommend the 300 a over the
333, 366, 400, or 450 celerons, with cache, if I were to purchase one of
these, what motherboard should I buy?
Opinions on the longevity of slot 1 vs socket 370's would also be
appreciated. Some celerons run on socket 370, right? Which should I opt
for?
why should I get a celeron instead of an amd k6-2 or -3. or  a p2 for
that matter?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BigKingFrg)
Subject: Dell Inspiron 7k
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:19 GMT

Could anyone tell me how to get X windows to run on my Dell Inp. 7k w/ the
14.1" screen, as far as the horiz. and vert. sync ranges are concerned?

Also im running Redhat 5.1 and i would like to know what ethernet/modems will
work under Linus--the Megaherts 10 Mbps/56k in particular--or somewhere that i
could find a list?

Thanks y'all.

------------------------------

From: Aris CRuz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMC EZ ethernet card trouble
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:02 GMT

David Lisle wrote:
> Yes I too am experiencing trouble with an SMC Ether EZ. This card ran
> fine under a Windows installation but eth0 fails to initialize at boot.
> I notice that when the bootup messages scroll by that autoprobe detects
> the card, the following line gives the irq and io range for the card all
> of which concurs with my previous Windows setup. I have cleaned all
> other OS from my system and run only Linux (Caldera) 1.3 woth
> appropriate linux partitions by the book. Everything else seems to work
> fine.
>
> P.S. Do you know how to 'capture' the bootup output into a file?
> i tried  > /etc/report.txt 2>&1 but didn't get what I expected.
>
> Any help on either of these topics would be great.
I'm having problems with smc cards also, but I am here to actually help on
capturing the bootup output, just do a dmesg |more, should show you the
info that shows up @ startup.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:23 GMT

dsyates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I keep hearing what a good deal the celerons(with 128 l2 cache are). But
> all I here about is the 300a. Is this because it is the cheapest, or the
> easiest to overclock ?Why would someone recommend the 300 a over the
> 333, 366, 400, or 450 celerons, with cache, if I were to purchase one of
> these, what motherboard should I buy?

People recommend the 300A because it is the most likely to successfully
overclock. Remember, Celerons are multiplier locked. It normally runs at
66x4.5, and is fairly likely to run stably at 100x4.5

The 333 is unlikely to work at 5x100, but it has been known to happen.
The 366 and 400, well fat chance. There is no official 450- if you
hear someone talk about a 450, it's an overclocked 300.

> Opinions on the longevity of slot 1 vs socket 370's would also be
> appreciated. Some celerons run on socket 370, right? Which should I opt
> for?

It looks like current Socket 370 mb's have as much life as current
Slot 1 mb's. Realistically speaking, when technology has progressed
enough that you'd upgrade processors, technology has also progressed
enough that you *really* want a new motherboard.

The real advantages of Slot 1 are that you can switch to a "real" PII
if you like, when they get cheap (they're no longer in production, AFAIK)
and you have the dual CPU option.

The advantage of Socket 370 is that it's easier to keep the CPU cool.
Also, a socket 370 mb and cpu may prove to be slightly cheaper than the
direct Slot 1 equivalent. Just don't, in the name of all that which does
not suck, buy a ZX chipset mb- boycott insulting crippleware. It's also
easier to find socketed 300A's. ;)

> why should I get a celeron instead of an amd k6-2 or -3. or  a p2 for
> that matter?

Because it performs better for the price. Basically, Intel is taking really
fast CPU's, crippling them (underclocking) and then dumping them at really
cheap prices in order to kill AMD.

If you want a good value without risk, buy AMD. If you want the *most*
performance for the money and are willing to take a little risk (overclocking
a 300A is *not* a guaranteed sure thing), buy a Celeron. If you have too much
money, or need the highest level of performance and money is not an issue,
buy a PII, or PIII or (got forbid) Xeon.

-Greg

P.S. My new machine is a 300A / BM6 mb combo (socket 370, BX chipset)
running at 450. My old machine is a K6-2-300 (at 300). I was very pleased
with both purchases.

------------------------------

From: "James Kosin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:21 GMT

I've been using an external 5+ years.  I tried internal and got fed up after
2 months.

-- James Kosin

<7cn7lr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doole)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:18 GMT

"liam toh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> apparently said this:

>BTW doole: do you work for the IRS?

<g> No, but good question.

------------------------------

From: "Richard Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & PCI Modems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:25 GMT

FWIW--I may be wrong (and PLEASE let me know if I am) but I understand that
as of now there is only one major chip set for PCI modems and they are ALL?
"winmodems".
Amir Shamsuddin wrote in message <1103_921527044@pmdhh06d>...
>Hi,
>
>I'd like some info about the current situation with PCI modems
>
>Here's what I understand:
>
>a) WinModems DON't work
>        - Obvious, and would never expect them to work
>
>b) Modems needing an enumerator can be made to work by loading them in DOS
to write this bit of software to the
>modem, and then booting into linux will work
>        - Pain in the backside to do this if you don't keep your computer
permanently on

>c) Modems using shared memory, detected by linux as using shared memory in
/proc/pci (configured by BIOS or
>whatever, normally) could be made to work with linux (relatively) easily if
there are any specs for using shared memory
>for modems
>        - I don't know if there are any such specs (also is this similar to
b) ? )

>d) modems with a UART on-board
>        - these work with linux
>
>Could someone tell me, or point me to modems/chipsets which fall into
category d), ie those which work with linux?
>Also, is there anything for type c) to work in linux?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Amir Shamsuddin
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>PS Feel free to correct any inaccuracies in my above summary, I'm not an
expert

------------------------------

From: Warren Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner support in Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:28 GMT

I managed to get an email off to the product manager at Matrox and was told
that they would not release the programming specs for the Rainbow Runner
since it contained bugs and they could not provide the proper support due
to time restrictions.

I have recently tried a new ploy, simply asking for the specs for the
MGA-VC0645FB-C chip, since I can get the Zoran chip specs.  It's been three
days so far and no response at all.

They did say that they have received numerous requests from Linux
programmers.  Maybe someday soon they'll cave in.

Warren

No amount of begging, pleading or bribery would seem to work.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS 6326
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:30 GMT

Markus Hillenbrand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anyone tell me how to set up the Device section of
> /etc/XF86Config to be used with an SiS 6326 AGP graphic
> card? Under Windows, I can use 1280x1024x16 in 85 Hz, but I
> am not able to use this mode under Linux. When I start the
> XServer, it says "Maximum allowed dot-clock: 111 MHz" but
> the card has a maximum allowed dot-clock of 175 MHz.
>
> System: SuSE Linux 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.3.1

This is what I am using for my Diamond Speedstar A50 with 8MB video memory.
I'm running at 1024x768x16bit for now.

    .../Ed

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My Video Card"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    8192
    Option "no_bitblt"
    Option "no_imageblt"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    # Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
    # Option "fifo_moderate"
    # Option "fifo_conserv"
    # Option "fifo_aggresive"
    # Option "fast_vram"
    # Option "pci_burst_on"
    # Option "xaa_benchmark" # DON'T use with "ext_eng_queue" !!!
    # Option "ext_eng_queue" # Turbo-queue. This can cause drawing
                             # errors, but gives some accel
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth John Gardiner)
Subject: linux on mitac 6033w?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:31 GMT

I'm looking at getting a Mitac 6033W and was wondering if anyone
has successfully put linux/X on it?

>From redhat's laptop hardware list the components seem compatable, but
has anyone already done it?

thanks,
Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doole)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:17 GMT

Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> apparently said this:

>wtf was that all about??

<g> Not Linux, unfortunately. Time to get back to the point, I guess.

------------------------------

From: "ComFuMasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: from 2.0.34 to 2.2.3
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:33 GMT

i wanted to know if i can upgrade my kernel from 2.0.34 which is distributed
with RedHat 5.1 to 2.2.3, if anyone can help me i would love if you could
point me in a directions of a page that will help me through this problem.

comfumasta

From: Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on E-Machine...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:35 GMT

I have a Cyrix M II 266 MMX emachine. with RedHat 5.2 installed.

I also just figured out how to install the SVGA version of X to get a
1024x768 resolution.

These directions assume that RedHad 5.2 is installed and the Base X
system is installed.

login as root. Insert RedHat 5.2 cd #1 into the cdrom drive.
# mount /mnt/cdrom
# rpm --install /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-SVGA-3.3.2.3-25.i386.rpm
Then run Xconfigurator and use the selections listed below
# Xconfigurator
    OK
    unlisted card
    SVGA
    Custom
    High Frequency SVGA, 1024x768 @ 70 hz
    50-70
    Don't Probe
    4 meg
    No clock chip setting
    skip
    8 bit  1024x768                                ( select one and only
one option)

# startx
and I get an aqua background with a control-panel app and a start bar
and a nxterm open.

The biggest trick, I think, was selecting one and only one resolution
setting.

------------------------------

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen external modem FM56-EX on Linux, get it?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:36 GMT

Sarah Kerrigan wrote:

> hey,
> i need a modem that is compatible with Linux.  I know external modems are
> supposed to work but i just want to make sure.  I can get the AOpen FM56-
> EX at a pretty good price.  anyone got anything good or bad to say about
> it?  thanks.

If it's an external modem, then you have nothing to worry about as far as
compatibility is concerned.  I have an AOpen FM56-ITU internal modem and it
works fine with Linux because it has jumpers on it so I can manually set
the I/O port and IRQ.
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: "Sébastien Dionne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: supported Burner in Linux ?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:37 GMT

I have an Creative Labs CDR 4210.  Do you know How I can burn cd with this
burner ?

All the software I found don't supporte my burner

Sébastien

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD music....HELP!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:39 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:47:51 -0500,
 Eric Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Folks!!!
>
> I need someone's help.
>
> My soundcard is working fine, I am running a P-166 /w Red Hat Linux 5.2
> installed.
>
> I have  OPL-SA3 intergrated sound card but can only configure it using
> Sound Blaster drivers with the following configuration :
>
> IRQ=5
> DMA=1 (at least one of the DMAs)
> IO=220
>
> I can play wav files without a problems.....MIDIs too...
>
> Only one problem : I cannot play ANY audio CDs....they play all
> right...but no music comes out of my speakers... Anyone have ANY tips?

Well, that has very little to do with the above, and a LOT to do with
hardware.  Make sure you have the little cable that runs from your CD
player to your soundcard.  The Synth stuff on the soundcard isn't used
for playing CD's: the CD is just told to start playing, and the sound
card is used as an pre-amplifier and mixer.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Jan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canon BJC 6000 - supported
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Rainer Koster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know whether the Canon BJC 6000 can be run with
> ghostscript?

The BJC 6000 is supported: Try Ghostscript 5.50, driver bjc600

I have a BJC70 also, and I can print on both printers with this driver.

Jan

From: "B. Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: failure to find floppy controller
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:27 GMT

Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> "B. Collins" wrote:
> > The system reports that /dev/fd0 is not accessible.  The
> > /var/log/messages file looks like this:
> >
> > Floppy drive(s): fd is 1.44M
> > reset set in interrupt, calling 001711bc
> > floppy: no floppy controllers found
>
> Is the floppy connected to a floppy controller on the motherboard? If
> so, what is the brand of your motherboard? Is the floppy connected to an
> IDE-channel like an LS-120? If so you will have to compile a kernel or a
> module with support for IDE/ATAPI-floppys.
>
> regards Henrik
>
> --
> spammer strikeback:
> root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It's definitely connected to the floppy controller not the IDE
controller. I've tried loading multiple operating systems on this system
including DOS, Win'95, Win'98, SCO Open Server, Solaris, and BSD. All of
them "see" the floppy drive.  On a whim, I loaded my old slackware
1.2.13 verson of Linux of linux and found I could use the floppy.   I
have to conclude that some floppy controllers on not supported by the
2.0.x kernels that were supported by earlier kernels.  A sad state of
affairs IMO.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean)
Subject: Re: $2500.00 DREAM machine
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:01:42 GMT

compaqs are horrible computers.  They are shoddily built and often are not
expandable.  You can rarely put a new motherboard into a compaq.  I bought
my computer from www.cgallery.com and was extremely impressed by the
quality of the  hardware and especially by the quality of the service.