Linux-Hardware Digest #771, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 20:14:19 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux and 486 (Markus Wandel)
  VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX ("Tony")
  Scanning-HOWTO (tsca)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls flat)
(jedi)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steve)
  Re: Secondary Hard-drive Partitions (Sinuhe)
  CM8330 sound card (Douglas Stella)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steve)
  Dual Pentium II support. (Andrea Borsic)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Patrik Magnusson)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    (Robb Shecter)
  Re: No modem response (Allen)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (John Burton)
  wd7197-scsi controller ("a9425740")
  Installation problemas ("Luis")
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (John Burton)
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X (Eric Brown)
  Re: 3c509b/RH 5.2/DHCP (Martin Bouchez)
  Re: Information about HP 695C (Glen L. Spangler)
  Support for Adaptec 1530/1532? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card (Vincent Cunniffe)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Subject: Re: Linux and 486
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:14:57 GMT

I just installed RH5.2 on a 486DX2/66 this weekend so I can share some data.

- Machine has 32MB RAM, 128KB L2 cache and 3G hard disk (not original!)

- Full "install everything" took 800MB+ on the disk and 2-3 hours start to
  finish (the big time users were high level format of the disk with verify,
  and installing all the packages.)

- Turned off all the daemons that weren't needed, got to the point where
  sitting at a shell window prompt in fvwm2 about 8-10MB of memory were in
  use.  So 16MB seems about minimum for running X and some applications.

- Ran full-blown KDE install with Netscape 4.07 on top of that and it works
  fine, although Netscape took maybe 10sec to come up and is a bit sluggish.

- Ethernet (NE2000 card) and X (ISA ATI Mach32) performance are fine, for
  example "ACM" running on my faster machine produces smooth screen updates.

- Tried decompressing a big MP3 file with "mpg123 -s bigfile.mp3 >/dev/null"
  on both my Celeron 300A and on this thing.  The Celeron is 18 times as fast
  at rated clock speed!  The 486 is not fast enough to play an MP3 in realtime
  (there's no sound card in it anyway.)

Conclusion:

If you have a fast PC running Windows and install Linux on a slow one you won't
be impressed.  But it works, 486DX2/66 with 32MB RAM is just fast enough for
most of the toys.  Will you ever like it when you inevitably upgrade to a
modern CPU.

Markus

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:14:58 GMT

Hey,
        Being a WAY rookie Linux user, I was wondering if there is a driver
for my viper 550. 16 colours (ALMOST!) makes me want to use Windows98 again.

Thanks.
Tony :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tsca)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Scanning-HOWTO
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:03 GMT

 Hi,

 Is anything like Scanning-HOWTO available? I have gotten a scanner
 and don't really know what I should start with.

 ...or maybe it's not even worth trying - it's Mustek 600 CP
 connected to the printer port? Will it work under Linux?

 TIA

--
 tsca
 Tomasz Sienicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:45 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:25:03 +0100, Henning Strandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Don wrote:
>>
>> Gerhard Traeger wrote:

>> > He?
>> > Where´ve you got this one?
>> > Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
>> > <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
>>
>> I saw this and just thought I would add that it doesnt work for me. And
>> I still got a lot of stuff that doesnt work in the linux windows. After
>> 4 installs, I did get it to basically work, but it wont do anything once
>> you start it. I probably need to edit about 40 files to fix each
>> problem.

        One simply runs the X configurator again and picks all the
        resolutions they want to run in the various color depths
        available.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die      |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:22 GMT

I agree with most of what you have said Richard.

In a nutshell my belief has always been,

"Select the application, and then the platform"

If you need an application to control robotics that manufacturer
widgets and the best version is available for Solaris, then that is
the way you must go.

Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
have very specific needs that those programs can address.

By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.
It was a stupid comment on my part anyhow :(

Steve

------------------------------

From: Sinuhe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Secondary Hard-drive Partitions
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Eamon E. Perrel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Help!  I'm new to the world of hard drives, partition, and Linux.
> I'm running a computer with Windows 95, and I would like to put Linux on
> a second hard drive.  I've installed a drive, set it to Cable Select,
> and run the Red Hat installation.  Disk Druid will let me set a main
> partition on the second drive (hdb), but it will only set a swap
> partition on the hda drive.  Is there a way around this?  If someone
> could (if not tell me) point me in the right direction I would be very
> thankful.

If I'm not mistaken it has to be First Master or First Slave... (the 2nd HD)

Nathan Letwory
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3089, http://come.to/Letwory
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*He decided to live forever, or die in the attempt*

From: Douglas Stella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CM8330 sound card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:31 GMT

I have a CM 8330 sound card, and my configuration try is not evolution.
I hope config my sound card with your help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough) wrote:
> I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
> modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
> to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
> to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
> certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
> through this problem.
> thanks,

I have a V.Everything, also upgraded via the official USR Windows95 software
and it connects to my ISP at 40.0 nearly every time using the V.90 protocol.

It is difficult to see the connect speed in Windows.  Relying on the system
tray to tell you is not exactly accurate.  Note that 52000 is roughly twice
your 26400 rate.  That could be a clue that you're not dialing in as fast as
you expect.

Of course, you could have done all this research already yourself and I could
be going on and on about stuff you already know, but I just thought I'd put
in my two cents.

Good luck,
Paul.

Paul Munn, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:33 GMT

Yes and I agree. We need to smooth the rough edges and make the tools
easier to use. This way the new users discovering Linux can exploit
the power of said tools without getting frustrated.
Steve

Snipped a lot of stuff to save cycles....

------------------------------

From: Andrea Borsic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual Pentium II support.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:35 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a fast machine for scientific calculation pourposes.
For some constraints I'm looking to an Intel platform, so I cannot go
Alpha.

The idea is to buy a dual pentium II machine ( Dell Workstaion series
210 ).

The problem is this: will Linux support this machine?

What matherboard chipset/BIOS is supported for SMP?

Is there any standard for SMP motherboards?

Any information about SMP motherboards/BIOSes is welcome.

Thanks very much.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrik Magnusson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve) writes:
|> Amen...A word that is mentioned quite infrequently in this group,
|> productivity.
|>

|> It doesn't matter a hill of beans how technically superior your OS is
|> if there are no applications for it that the general public want to
|> use.

Recent studies show that, the average office-worker loose half a day
per week on "computer difficulties". These included:

* computers/applications crashing
* word-documents being bloated beyond usefulness
* macro-viruses
* paperempty on printers (from using word- instead of text-processors)
* security concearns (most notably NetBus-concearns)

But whatever the reason, half a day per work-week is a huge hill of beans.

|> Vi, And EMacs and ppp-on, ppp-off, and slrn and tin an trn and tetris
|> and ispell and on and on and on don't cut it when you have a plethora
|> of Windows applications that blow the doors off the Linux crap...
|> Users are NOT interested in going back to the 1970's....
Well, I just heard of this thing called X, supposedly it's
this graphical thing for Unix, rumour has it there's even some
applications for it. Stuck in the 70's as I am, I don't think
it will ever be of much use to me, but you might want to check it out.
/Patrik, ranting student.

------------------------------

From: Robb Shecter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:44 GMT

Gerhard Traeger wrote:

> On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
>
> > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
>
> > Linux:
> > Edit config files and god know's what else
>
> He?
> Where´ve you got this one?
> Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
> <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
>
> Way simpler than searching for the "desktop - properties - settlings" icons!

No, I don't think this is "way simpler".  (Me: longtime linux user, admin,
hacker, programmer, etc.)  The poster has a -very- valid point that system
configuration needs to have a canonical and easy to drill-down interface.  A key
sequence is bad, because you have to memorize it.  It's also bad because it's
hard to document.  (Where -is- it documented?  By whom? The Linux distribution
maker, or XFree, or the window manager programmer?)

Having configurations in one place (like, starting in the properties tool)
-eliminates- the need for documentation about where to find it.  This is -the-
scalable solution.  It's just good software engineering that something that
eliminates the need to document is usu. better.

Although I'm an experienced Linux user, I wish that Linux was better in this
respect.  Most people want to get a job done, or do their particular thing.  For
me, that's doing OO programming on Linux.  Every minute I spend learning how to
tune/configure X-Windows is a minute wasted.

> Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
> you should first try to ask how to do things properly.

It's too bad that one -has- to ask how to change a system property...

- Robb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: No modem response
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:46 GMT

Is your built-in Com 2 port disabled in the CMOS setup?

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:23:54 -0500, "Greg Millen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I should have mentioned it is an ISA card.
>

>>I am a newbie to Linux and cannot get my modem to respond. I read the man
>>pages and the posts in this group plus some other info sites, no joy so
>far.
>>
>>In the BIOS my COM2(cua1) shows 2f8.
>>
>> setserial /dev/cua1 shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>setserial /dev/modem shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>/dev/cua0 is the mouse and set to 3f8 IRQ4.
>>
>>If I go into minicom and try to dial with CTRL A D and ISP number the modem
>>does nothing.
>>setting local echo and ATZ or ATI shows no response also.
>>
>>The modem is a 33600 and has a Rockwell chipset and labelled :
>>
>>RC336ACFA
>>R6749-25
>>ROCKWELL 96
>>9722 B29731-3
>>MEXICO
>>
>>The modem worked previously in W98 so I am assuming it is not the modem
>>hardware.
>>
>>Any help appreciated.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:48 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Ummm...not quite... bottom end single processor Alpha servers are about
> > the same price as top end Intel dual processor servers - single 533Mhz
> > 21164 w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500, dual 500Mhz Pentium III
> > w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500... Alpha servers go up in
> > performance & price from there, Intel Servers go down in performance and
> > price from there...
>
> there *are* quad intel boxen.  they also generally cost more than
> $4500.  still, i'd rather have a fast alpha.

I know that there are quad Intel boxes, just as I know there are lower
priced Alpha systems.. the ones I originally mentioned were somewhat
equivalent in a server environment (without getting into the details of
the MB architecture) in that they had the same amount of memory (256MB),
the same amount of disk space (9.1GB) and the same type of disk
subsystem (U2W SCSI)... one *primary difference is that its a *single*
Alpha vs. a *dual* Intel at approximately the same clock speed (533Mhz
for Alpha, vs 500Mhz for Intel). Some app mixes would do better on the
dual Intel setup, other mixes would do better on the single Alpha
system...

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "a9425740" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wd7197-scsi controller
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:09 GMT

hi,

anyone out there, who knows how to make a western digital 7197
scsi-controller work under linux???

------------------------------

From: "Luis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installation problemas
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:50 GMT

Hello,

I'm trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a Pentium 200 MMX machine with 32 Mb
Ram, 2.1 Gb HDD , 1 ATAPI CDROM on the secondary IDE controller and a
J-5TXBR2(Bios:8-4-1997).

But I have some problems that with my friends don’t have with the same
installation.

1-
When I start the installation process and during the process I don’t have
any problem. But, when this finish, the Red Hat reboot the computer and the
LILO appears. So I can choose to go to Win98 or Linux. If I go to Win98, I
don’t have any problem, but when I go to Linux, the Lilo start sending
messages to the screen and in a few seconds the computer reboot again. I try
again and it does the same.

The things that I do in the process installation are(I start from Dos
system):
-‘autoboot’ from RedHat 5.2 CD,
-choose language and keyboard,
-local cdrom,
-using Disk Druid(hda1 goes to Win98(1G)/hda5 goes to Linux Native(1G on ‘/
) /hd6 goes to Linux Swap(100Mb) ) – these are the values (+/-) that I put.
-format the partitions,
-choose the components to install,
-configure the mouse, clock, select services, printer and monitor,
-put the root password,
-create the boot disk,
-install lilo to MBR,
-and it stays ready to reboot,
-the lilo appears,
-the messages too
-and … reboot again
-… do the same thing
-… … … and it goes again

And this is the my great problem.

2-
When it starts to load linux and certain message appears, how can I see one
to one on monitor, something like ‘pause and continue’? I do this question
because it’s so fast that I can’t see anything … only on the beginning when
it just load the linux.

3-
If I start the linux from the linux boot disk, when I start the installation
procedure the system hangs up after the
recognition of the IDE controllers, with no reboot (only hard reboot).

And it stops here:
ide:18237 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000 - 0xf007
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008 - 0xf00f

What could this be?
So, the only I can do is to start the process installation from  the Linux
CD(using autoboot) and begin with the process installation above.

4-
I saw in somewhere that the root partition ‘/’  must be in the first 1024
cylinders. Could this be my problem? If so, how can I fix the problem?
Should be make the boot on  ‘/boot’?

Well, after getting the Linux CD(RedHat 5.2 + boot disk), I get always the
same problem with different process installations. I try to install it in
another computers and it works fine. So my suspects goes to Bios? Hard
Drive? Or my computer? I don’t know what to do next.

Thank you in advance

Sincerely

Luis Correia

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:56 GMT

wizard wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:

> > >They also had money! They were't *too* concerned between $4000 &
> > >$10,000...
> > >I agree..if you have the money, go for the Alpha... (the 21264 & 21364
> > >Alphas look pretty impressive...;-)
> >
> > It's not so much that they were price-insensitive; it's also that they
> > were *space*-sensitive.
> >
> > Adding a couple of extra boxes to make up for IA-32 CPUs not being as
> > fast may not be a big deal when the task is small.  Fitting an extra
> > system in my apartment might be moderately annoying, but wouldn't cost
> > much.
> >
> > But when you start building a big "rendering farm," additional costs
> > start needing to be considered:
> > - The cost of the "real estate" required to house the boxes,
> > - The cost of getting those boxes dropped into place, plugged in, and
> >   running.
>
> Funny thing is there are many vendors offering preassembled Alpha farms.    Just
> drop the rack in place supply power and off you go.    This is not the case with
> Intel systems, at least I have not seen many advertised.     The market for
> performance machines is at time very sensitive to pricing considerations, since
> many"farms" are Alpha powered there must be a good reason.   The only reason one
> could reasonable suggest is performance per dollar.     Granted there may be
> application were an Intel system will accel but the market doesn't seem to
> support that theory.

I think *performace* is the key to the "farms" as opposed to
"price/performace ratio"... when you're looking at large clusters &
farms, you want each individual processing node to have good
performance... As I mentioned in a previous post, low-end Alphas are
competing agains high-end Intel...if you want individual node
performance *better* than the low-end Alpha, then forget about Intel...
particularly when your dual cpu 21264 systems have a SpecFP95 value
pushing a factor of 10 greater than the top dual cpu Intel system...

John

From: Eric Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:53 GMT

Hi everyone,

I have installed RedHat 5.2 according to the book, and now I want to upgrade
to XFree 3.3.3.1.  I downloaded and installed the following RPMs:

XFree86-3.3.3.1
XFree86-SVGA
XFree86-VGA16
XFree86-libs
XFree86-XF86Setup
XFree86-75dpi-fonts

When I select my STB nVidia card and hit OK in Xconfigurator, I get a
segmentation fault.  Is the problem that I'm using Xconfigurator?  Do I need
to be using XF86Setup instead?  And if not, are there any other packages
that I need before I can configure XFree86 3.3.3.1?

Thanks,

Eric Brown
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Martin Bouchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3c509b/RH 5.2/DHCP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to get linux to run with my cable modem.
> I have already disabled PNP.
> I was getting the message
> "delaying eth0 initialization"
>
> then I implemented the changes suggested by Tim Stark
> i.e changed my /etc/conf.modules to read
> alias eth0 3c509
> options eth0 io=0x300 irq5

compaq_irq=5 is ok

From: Glen L. Spangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information about HP 695C
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:15:52 GMT

Fagni Tiziano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is this printer compatible with Linux? Thanks for help.

I have the same question concerning the HP697C.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Support for Adaptec 1530/1532?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:01 GMT

I have an old Pc with what identifies itself as an "AHA-1530P/1532P" SCSI
controller.

Is there a Linux driver for this controller?  Redhat's install disks only have
support for the 152x and 1542 controllers.

Thanks,

  -- Lars

From: Vincent Cunniffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:08 GMT

> I saw the same type of behavior last night on my RH5.2 system.  I ended
> up having to load the eepro100.o module (insmod eepro100.o), then run
> Linuxconf, verify that the Ip, GW, mask, etc were correct and exit and
> 'activate changes'.
>
> It's been running fine (I have the same type of NIC - Intel PCI) since
> then.  I have to find out how/where to add the insmod eepro100.o line
> (and a couple other fs lines) so they happen automatically at boot up.

/etc/rc.d/rc3/rc.local

Regards,

Vin