Linux-Hardware Digest #771, Volume #10           Thu, 15 Jul 99 14:13:38 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux and ATI Rage Fury. ("Hellraisr")
  Re: HP LaserJet 1100 and 2100 series (J. Scott Berg)
  82371AB/EB BusMaster controller install? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  baby AT motherboard ("john w. connolly")
  Re: RedHat 6.0 bug with Zip Drive ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Partitions on a SCSI disk (Rod Smith)
  Re: Yamaha 4416S crashed Linux on bootup ("Richard Nunez")
  Re: UDMA-4, U/66 performance (David Tshudy)
  AMD k6 and K62 - i386 compabatability ("Bob Kochis")
  Re: GVC internal PCI modem (Oehlke)
  Re: serial driver on 3Com 3cxem556 (David Hinds)
  Re: GVC internal PCI modem (Allen Crider)
  Printing with GIMP ? (ollivier civiol)
  Re: office intranet (wizard)
  TNT2 Resolution Problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  virtual desktop size ("basic")
  STB Velocity 128 AGP ("L.L.M")
  Re: office intranet (Michael Meissner)
  Re: GVC internal PCI modem (Lew Pitcher)
  Problem of keyboard with frame buffer (chausson aux pommes)

From: "Hellraisr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and ATI Rage Fury.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:35:54 -0400

I also have the ATI Rage Fury w/32mb ram. I cannot get XFree86 to run, the
MACH64 server doesn't work, any ideas?

news:L_cj3.1041$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Scott Berg)
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100 and 2100 series
Date: 15 Jul 1999 14:53:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jens & Hrefna  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What do I need to get the HP LaserJet 1100 or 2100 printers to work with
>my Linux box?
>Are there any special drivers that I need?

For the 1100, use ghostscript as the input filter, the ljet4 driver.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 82371AB/EB BusMaster controller install?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:56:47 GMT

I'm getting "No Hard Disk Found" on installation (Debian, TurboLinux).

I checked the archives, and it seems that my controller, an Intel
82371AB/EB PCI BusMaster is supported (past 2.0.37 kernel) but I'm
unable to get it to work.

Interestingly enough, the bootup sequence finds the CD for the CD-based
install (TurboLinux) just fine, but both CD-boot and floppy boot
(Debian) give the same error when it comes time to partition the HD.

Suggestions? I'm considering:
1) making a new floppy from a fresher debian install image
2) Changing the timing on the PCI bus down from 66 MHz
3) creating a new boot image with an updated kernel :( - this one would
have to wait until I get home tonight, as I don't have Linux installed
yet. :(
4) ... Changing more BIOS settings, checking the Micron website, flash-
upgrading the BIOS, etc.

I'm hoping there's a simple boot: option to get this going.

FYI it's a Micron P3-450 with a WD313000, 128MB RAM

Please email in addition to posting - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I know it's just my first day at the new job, but I'm really hoping to
get Linux on at least a couple machines today :)

Thanks in advance.
Rod

From: "john w. connolly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: baby AT motherboard
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:26:05 -0500

Any suggestions for a baby AT form factor mb for a linux box?
Thanks, JWC

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.0 bug with Zip Drive
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:38:25 -0500

daniel wrote:

> I'm having the known problem with
> RedHat 6.0 and an internal ZIP drive.
>
> Are there any distributions that use
> the 2.2.+ kernel which do not have
> this problem?
>
> Or is there another quick fix?

Depends on what you mean by 'quick'.

---
One solution:

Click up www.kernel.org, redirect to one of the mirrors, download the
2.2.10 kernel kit and (from the 'alan' directory) the 2.2.10-ac10
patch.  Install kit & patch, rebuild your custom kernel, and reboot to
it.  (I've tried this, and it works.)

---
Another solution:

There's a way to rebuild the kernel you now have to fake it into
thinking your IDE Zip is a SCSI Zip.  One person in this group reported
trying it and having it work for him.  Unfortunately, his post has been
purged off my server, but you should be able to find it in dejanews by
searching this group for content words 'IDE' 'ATAPI' 'Zip' 'error',
etc.  The thread should be within the last 3-6 weeks.

---
Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Partitions on a SCSI disk
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:04:21 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7mjjmo$smn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lyndon F. Bartels) writes:
> Hello,
>
> Quick Question:
>
> I've never set up a Linux box with SCSI disks before. I've done several with
> IDE drives.
>
> I know that you can only have 4 primary partitions on an IDE disk without
> going into extended/logical partitions.
>
> Is this the same case on SCSI disks?

Yes.  The partitioning of IDE and SCSI disks works in precisely the same
way (at least on this level; there are differences in how CHS geometry
mapping are handled).

Note that Linux can exist entirely in logical partitions, so the
4-primary-partition limit isn't a big issue for Linux per se; it's more of
an issue when dealing with multiple Microsoft OSes, which require primary
partitions.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Richard Nunez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,comp.os.linux.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Yamaha 4416S crashed Linux on bootup
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:35:18 -0500

My SCSI CD-Writer is set to ID 6, and I am using an Adaptec 2490-UW PCI
card.

I have the best and standard hardware.  It worked fine under RH 5.2, but
after I reinstalled it doesn't work.  I have to shut off the power to the
Writer to bootup properly.

Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7mkcug$247$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Richard Nunez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:lW5j3.6380$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have a Yamaha 4416S SCSI CD-Writer.  It workes fine under NT and
Win9x,

------------------------------

From: David Tshudy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA-4, U/66 performance
Date: 15 Jul 1999 16:31:06 GMT

Yes, the 7200 RPM drives are faster when attached to a Promise ATA/66
controller.

I've read those articles that say they showed no performance increase and
in some cases a performance degredation with the ATA/66 card.
This is simply not true. I'm curious what drives were used.
I recently bought a WD expert 9 gig 7200 RPM, ATA/66 and a Promise ATA/66
card.
Here are my Winbench results with the drive connected to the Promise card
and with the drive connected to the primary IDE port of my Asus P2B
motherboard (pII350, 128megs).

                (Thousand Bytes/Sec)    w ata 66        w/0 ata 66
                                          ---------------------------
WinBench 99/Business Disk WinMark 99            2380            2170
WinBench 99/High-End Disk WinMark 99            8280            6120
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/Bus:Overall           2380            2170
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:AVS/Express 3.4    7390            4530
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:FrontPage 98       22200           21900
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:MicroStation SE    7100            6360
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:Overall            8280            6120
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:Photoshop 4.0      7520            5540
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:Premiere 4.2       6970            4830
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:Sound Forge 4.0    8480            5830
WinBench 99/Disk Playback/HE:Visual C++ 5.0     7720            6170
More importantly, while connected to the motherboard, the CPU usage during
these tests was at 73%. While connected to the Promise controller it
averaged 23%. That in my opinion, is significant.

Granted, the results may vary in Linux but that's not the issue here,
considering there are no Linux drivers.  ;)

David Tshudy
IEW Software Systems
Lockheed Martin Corp. - Owego, NY

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Bob Kochis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD k6 and K62 - i386 compabatability
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:27:57 GMT

Has anyone tried using either of these processors with a Pentium kernal, not
the default i386 mode kernal? I am currently using RH6 with the 2.2.5-15
kernal.

Thanks
Bob

------------------------------

From: Oehlke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GVC internal PCI modem
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:15:40 -0300

I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.
when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
as I'm sure you all know...

so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

AO

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: serial driver on 3Com 3cxem556
Date: 15 Jul 1999 16:12:18 GMT

Hal Sadofsky ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: could not open 'cis/3CXEM556.dat': No such
:file or directory

You have a bad PCMCIA installation.  This file is important.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: Allen Crider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:47:30 -0700

Oehlke wrote:

> I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.

All of GVC's PCI modems are winmodems. They either use the Rockwell
RC56HCF or the Lucent DSP 1646 chipset.

> when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
> as I'm sure you all know...
>
> so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

Nobody is aggrevating the situation at all. What model GVC modem did you
say you have?

From: ollivier civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing with GIMP ?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:57:06 GMT

===============_4D48010C18D008832380

My printer is installed under linux as LP, every program prints no=20
problem but GIMP won't see the printer and will only print on file ???

What can I do to make GIMP print ?

Thanks.

===============_4D48010C18D008832380

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <TITLE>Printing with GIMP ?</TITLE>
        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.1 (Linux)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"19990715;17560300">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"ollivier civiol">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"19990715;17570000">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Hi,</P>
<P><BR><BR>
</P>
<P>My printer is installed under linux as LP, every program prints no
problem but GIMP won't see the printer and will only print on file ???</=

<P><BR><BR>
</P>
<P>What can I do to make GIMP print ?</P>
<P><BR><BR>
</P>
<P>Thanks.</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

===============_4D48010C18D008832380==

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: office intranet
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:12:42 -0400

Roy Grimm wrote:

> j wrote:
> >
> > looking to build an office intranet.  got the linux firewall machine
> > between the adsl line and the computers. now i am looking for a 10baseT
> > hub and card for the machines.  small number of computers so i only need
> > a 4-8 port hub.  any suggestions as to which are best supported under
> > linux?
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > j.
>
> I've used several different cards with Linux, from old Novell NE1000's
> to a relatively new 3Com 3C905 with plenty in between.  The one thing I
> learned is that it's worth the money to get the name brand card.  If you
> put in a 3Com or Intel card, it will work, no questions asked.  Cheap,
> no-name brand cards may save you a bit of cash but there's a good chance
> you'll end up fighting with the configuration of the cards at each step
> and taking days to get the network running smoothly.
>
> As far as hubs go, just about anything will work for you.  The hub
> doesn't directly interact with the operating system of a computer, it
> just distributes packets across the network.  So any ethernet hub will
> work with Linux.  I'd stay away from the really cheap hubs but any
> midrange hub should suit you.  Expensive hubs are only worthwhile if
> you're going to use all of the added features they give you.
>
> I would recommend getting a hub with more ports that you think you'll
> need.  It's quite common to add computers, printers, fax servers, etc.
> to a network as time goes on.  Having the room to grow will save you
> some frustration in the long run.
>
> Good luck,
> Roy

One thing that I'd like to point out is that the hub purchased really should
be able to handle future expansion needs. That means having at least several
extra ports or the ability to tie into an expansion hub.     It also is worth
while to sit back and take a close look at how the unit is going to be
used.    A switching hub may be a better choice if you forsee heavy usage
amongst certain machines.

The reason for the extra ports is that once you have a network sooner or
later you will want almost everything connectted to it.    Things such as
print servers, mail servers, web servers, modems and everything else.
Initially much of this may run on one or more usrs computers, but you may
find that it is benefical to have at least some of these running on there own
hardware.

A little up front costs will greatlly simplifygrowth of the network.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TNT2 Resolution Problem
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:25:01 GMT

I've install the Nvidia Linux X server and it works.  The problem is
only at 640x480.  No matter what res I choose all I get is standard
vga.  Can anyone help me out?  I'm running RH6.0 and using a Diamond
Viper 770 Ultra.  I'm not looking to do any 3D stuff.  I just need to
be able to access X at 1024x768.

Thanks...CJ

From: "basic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: virtual desktop size
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:13:40 -0700

First, thanks to all (especially Joceli) for helping with the i740 setup.
Now that I have it working, how can I set the virtual desktop to match the
screen res?

------------------------------

From: "L.L.M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STB Velocity 128 AGP
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:24:34 -0500

Does anyone know if drivers have been created for this card? When I try
to use drivers from the suse set up my monitor says invalid freq and is
scrambled..

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jul 1999 13:20:24 -0400

Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As far as hubs go, just about anything will work for you.  The hub
> doesn't directly interact with the operating system of a computer, it
> just distributes packets across the network.  So any ethernet hub will
> work with Linux.  I'd stay away from the really cheap hubs but any
> midrange hub should suit you.  Expensive hubs are only worthwhile if
> you're going to use all of the added features they give you.

Not necessarily.  At one point I had computers in my bedroom and downstairs in
the 'storage' room in the basement, and two cheap 100/10 hubs interconnected.
Note, the distance between the two hubs was coming close to 100 feet.  I found
I had to reset the hubs daily, and at times 2-3 times/day.  I eventually bought
two 3Com office connect dual speed hubs, and never had a problem after that
until I moved all of the computers down into the basement.

> I would recommend getting a hub with more ports that you think you'll
> need.  It's quite common to add computers, printers, fax servers, etc.
> to a network as time goes on.  Having the room to grow will save you
> some frustration in the long run.

Yep.  And go for the 100/10 hubs that autosense too.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:34:26 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:47:30 -0700, Allen Crider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Oehlke wrote:
>>
>> I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.
>
>All of GVC's PCI modems are winmodems. They either use the Rockwell
>RC56HCF or the Lucent DSP 1646 chipset.

Not true. GVC's Canadian site (http://www.gvc.ca/products/) lists
three types of 56K PCI modems available from GVC:
1) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex with Controller modem
   (onboard MCU, DPU and DAA) which can be installed in
   WinNT, Win98, Win95, *and* Win3.1
2) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex Controller-less modem
   (onboard DPU and DAA; no MCU) which can be installed in
   WinNT, Win98, and Win95, and
3) A PCI Internal V.90 Only Software modem (onboard DAA;
   DPU in software) which can be installed in Win98, and Win95

>> when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
>> as I'm sure you all know...
>>
>> so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.
>
>Nobody is aggrevating the situation at all. What model GVC modem did you
>say you have?
>

>> AO
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Rob Clark wrote:

>> > Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
>> > one...

>> > See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

>> > Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> > http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: chausson aux pommes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.x.video
Subject: Problem of keyboard with frame buffer
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:27:51 +0200

Well,
I'm using XF68_FBDev (ati 128 owner must know...) with frame buffer on
xfree 3.3.3 and Kernel 2.2.3.
My issue is that some of my keyboard keys doesn't work under x-windows
(like del, arrows, alt-gr...; especialy between letters and num pad)
First I don't know what type of probleme it is (i'm a new linux user),
and what is the root of the problem:
Kernel 2.2.3, xfree 3.3.3, XF68, bad configuration of XF86Config ??
Please help, I'm fed up of windows' bugs.

PS: As my nationality my keyboard is set in fr-latin1 in X and in bash.

--
e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]