Linux-Hardware Digest #790, Volume #9            Sat, 20 Mar 99 16:13:26 EST

Contents:
  Floppies ("Alan S. Golub")
  Desktop icons ("Alan S. Golub")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Sven Utcke)
  Re: CD mount error ("Jonathan Ellis")
  VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX ("Tony")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steve)
  Newbie questions ("Alain Claessens")
  Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive (Barry
Bogart)
  Re: Modems for Linux and Unix? ("Liam")
  No hassle sound card for Redhat (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: No Mouse ? (Axel Liljencrantz)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (steve)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steffen Kluge)
  TNT video card and Linux 5.2 redhat (Elbert Clarke)
  Re: Does Encore n/w card support linux (Kishore)
  Re: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision! (mezcal)
  Re: "Select the application, and then the platform" (Ed Bruce)
  Re: ATI Xpert@Play 98 AGP (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS & Serial I/O Woes (Hugh McCurdy)
  Asus Riva TNT on Red Hat 5.0 (Hurricane) ("qwerty")
  Re: CD RW - Awful simple question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Alan S. Golub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floppies
Date: 20 Mar 1999 19:29:31 GMT

Is there a way to configure RedHat 5.2 to avoid having to mount and
unmount the floppy drive? For example, using WordPerfect 8, it would be
great to be able to save to a floppy without having to open a new shell
and type in the mount commands. Even if the only answer is that you've
got to mount and unmount every single time, I'd like to know for certain
that that's the case. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Alan S. Golub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desktop icons
Date: 20 Mar 1999 19:30:48 GMT

Is there a way to place an icon for WordPerfect 8 on the desktop? I'm
running the fvwm default desktop that loads with Redhat 5.2 Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.software.year-2000
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Date: 20 Mar 1999 19:30:10 +0100

Kay Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Bloody Viking wrote:

> > The RTC expiry is Y2.1K. You could use a 64 bit time_t and have the OS
> > backdate the RTC and store the backdating information in a file like
> > /etc/backdate.
[...]
> > Of course, this is an ugly way to make Linux last forever, but I can't
> > think of a better way, given the nature of PC hardware.

2^63s = 292,471,208,679years

It's pretty certain the sun will go all cold before we will run out of
2^63.

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: CD mount error
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:07:55 -0000

I too just got this message tonight whilst mounting the CD Rom, I found that
it was because Linux was too fast for the CD Rom drive and tried to mount it
too soon!

Try once and get the error message. If, like me, the CD light comes on and
the drive starts spinning, try mounting again straight away. Worked for me

Jon.

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:05 GMT

Hey,
        Being a WAY rookie Linux user, I was wondering if there is a driver
for my viper 550. 16 colours (ALMOST!) makes me want to use Windows98 again.

Thanks.
Tony :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:24 GMT

I agree with most of what you have said Richard.

In a nutshell my belief has always been,

"Select the application, and then the platform"

If you need an application to control robotics that manufacturer
widgets and the best version is available for Solaris, then that is
the way you must go.

Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
have very specific needs that those programs can address.

By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.
It was a stupid comment on my part anyhow :(

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Alain Claessens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie questions
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:48:49 GMT

Hi,

I'm working with Redhat 5.2 Linux 2.0.36 and I have some questions:

Is there really no way to get my Canon BJC-210 to print colors?
Does anyone now how to install a HP Scanjet 5p? I've heard something about
'sane'??

Thanx for reading

Alain Claessens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://users.skynet.be/Alain

------------------------------

From: Barry Bogart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:14 GMT

Craig and/or Cecilia wrote:

> Hi.  Let me just say up front that, relative to everyone else on this
> newsgroup, I don't
> know jack about linux (or computers in general, for that matter), so if
> anyone can help me
> I would REALLY appreciate it., but please don't assume that I know very
> much when
> giving your answers. Thanks.
>
> My internal SCSI 100 Mb Iomega Zip drive (/dev/sda4 on my computer)
> was working just fine in Red Hat 5.0 . However, I was running low on
> disk space so I installed
> a new 10 Gb hard drive.  much tweaking around, I finally got the thing
> installed correctly, partitioning
> half of  it for linux and half of it for DOS/Windows in FAT32 mode.
> Because I at one point thought
> I had to use Dynamic Drive OVerlay software to read all 10 Gb, I
> re-installed lilo to the root
> partition instead of  the MAster Boot Record.
>
> Now, my Zip Drive does not work in Linux. (It still works in Wondows,
> though!).
> When I put the Zip disk in, it hangs and cannot be ejected without
> restarting the computer.
>
> Its existence, however, is acknowledged by linux. Here are the logs...
>
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
>    IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled,
> synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
>   extended translation=disabled
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt,
> ok.
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
> $Revision: 1.18 $
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP
> 100           Rev: J.03
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Type:
> Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at
> scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host =
> 0, driver = 28
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : extended sense code = 2
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512
> bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00,
> sector 0, absolute sector 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  unable to read partition table
> Mar 10 16:07:34 localhost kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
> a disc in the drive.
>
> I guess that, because of the new drive, linux now incorrectly reads the
> partition table for the zip?
>
> Could this have anything to do with my new hard disk having a FAT32
> partition?
>
> Should I re-install my Zip Drive? IF so, how?
>
> Should I change its scsi ID to 6? If so, how?

> [...]
If yuour new drive is a Maxtor, I would like to know what you used to
partition it (Maxblast or other).

------------------------------

From: "Liam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems for Linux and Unix?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:24 GMT

>> >If you have a modem running successfully under Linux I
>> > wouldn't mind getting the brand and model #.

I'm running a USR Sportster 5600 Voice Internal.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: No hassle sound card for Redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:49:48 GMT

I have an old Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (PAS16) in my system that I have not been
able to get to run.  So, I want to get a new sound card.

I don't have  many requirements for the sound card, since I don't play any
games on the machine.  Just something to make some noise every once in a
while, like while using TiK (AIM client in Tcl/Tk).

However, one of the requirements that I have is that the card just plug in,
configure the kernel appropriately, compile, load and boot.  That is, I don't
want to fiddle with PnP sound cards, and I'm out of PCI slots, so it has to be
ISA.  Any recommendations?

On the other hand, if you know how to configure the PAS16 to run with the
2.0.36 kernel on Redhat 5.1, I'll be happy to listen to recommendations.

Below is what I've tried so far with the PAS16 - note the '()' in the sndstat
output, indicating that some devices are not enabled

Thanks!

        Stu

[excerpt from the config file]:

#
# Automatically generated by make menuconfig: don't edit
#

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
CONFIG_SOUND_PAS=y
CONFIG_PAS_IRQ=7
CONFIG_PAS_DMA=1
CONFIG_PAS_JOYSTICK=y
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
CONFIG_SB_BASE=220
CONFIG_SB_IRQ=5
CONFIG_SB_DMA=1
CONFIG_SB_DMA2=5
CONFIG_SB_MPU_BASE=330
CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set

#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
# CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND is not set

[Output of 'cat /dev/sndstat']:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux c49395-a 2.0.36 #4 Mon Mar 15 00:14:56 EST 1999 i486
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 3: ProAudioSpectrum
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(ProAudioSpectrum at 0x388 irq 7 drq 1)
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster (8 BIT/MONO ONLY) (2.0)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

------------------------------

From: Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Mouse ?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:34 GMT

Erik Vermeulen wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I've installed redhat 5.2 and upgraded to xfree 3.3.3.1.
> I've used xf86config to set up x.
> Afther the instalation and running I get the 111 error and it says "no
> mouse"
>
> I've got an Intelli mouse and it worked well last time I've installed
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> thanks in advance Erik

Make sure you selected the correct mouse port.
Remember that there are both ps/2 and serial versions of the intellimouse
driver.

hth

/Axel Liljencrantz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:01 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:54:07 -0500, "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Well, there are several reasons I want to move it.  First of all, it works
>perfectly, second of all, the drive that it's currently on is slow and very
>old and I don't really trust it anymore.  That and I don't really have room
>in the case for it with these new drives.  I suppose I could do it that way,
>but like I said, it's a server so I don't really want it down that long... I
>was hoping I could prepare the second disk, reboot and have it ready to go
>in a few minutes...
>
>Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
>using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
>it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
>just another thought too...

Anybody used DriveCopy to do this?

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In a nutshell my belief has always been,
>"Select the application, and then the platform"

This is rather simplistic, I'm afraid. But otherwise it wouldn't
fit in a nutshell, I guess ;-)

Most users frequently run a number of applications, not all of
which may be equally well supported on any given platform. Thus
you have to compromise. Then there are those applications they
don't run frequently but still don't want to miss entirely.
This can give one platform the edge over another. BTW it is not
so much the applications that need to be supported, it is the
specific problems that need to be solvable. If you *want* the
application "Client for Microsoft networking" then you don't
have much choice - if all you want is a solution to your
connectivity problem your choices are much wider.

A very important consideration (for many users) is the stability
and overall performance of the platform. How good does it let
the applications be?

Rarely, this optimisation problem can be solved by pointing to a
single platform (I could for me, though :-). This is why lilo
supports multi-OS booting.

>Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
>advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
>others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
>to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
>have very specific needs that those programs can address.

Apparently neither Unix nor Windows nor MacOS address the whole
spectrum of computer literacy among users. I dare to assert that
Unix covers a wider range though, with Windows better at times
for the lower range of this spectrum but brutally confined
there. Unix may be frustrating to the beginner but this
frustration quickly gives way to appreciation as enlightenment
sets in. Windows seems to be the other way around. It may be
easy to beginners (something I'd debate in some cases) but gets
increasingly frustrating the more you know (or want to know)
about computing. This doesn't imply that users *have* to strive
to improve their computer literacy. Staying a "Microsoft user"
is a perfectly acceptable choice. I just don't like people who
made this choice lecturing about how bad the other alternatives
are.

>By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.

Well green is really way backward, although it is supposedly
good for the eyes. Towards the end of the century people much
prefer terminal windows with black-on-white or
something-on-transparent characters.  ;-)

Cheers
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: elbertc**@home.com (Elbert Clarke)
Subject: TNT video card and Linux 5.2 redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:51:50 GMT

Hi,

Anyone have redhat linux 5.2 and the diamond  viper 550 card  (TNT
based) and successfully upgraded XFree86 to ver 3.3.3.1?

I'm having one hell of a time with this...  due in part to my lack of
knowledge of linux and poor documentation.

Brief details..  I've downloaded the files from the XFree86.org site
and have run their suggested method for updating...

Either the documention is lacking??? or I've screwed up somewhere...

I cant star XFree now.. I get a msg the says "couldn't determine where
you have Xfree86 installed. If you have XFree86 properly installed,
set the XWINHOME environment variable to point to the parent dir of
the XFree86 bin dir.

Well how the hell do you do this and I wonder if this will be the
magic cure?   Not sure if I'll be "playing" around with this OS much
longer if I have to jump through so many hurdles to get my hardware to
work properly.

Anyone upgraded their ver of XFree86 to the 3.3.3.1 ver with this card
and had it work ok...   If so what did you do?  any editing of files
to go along with this?   Better instructions would be appreciated from
one who has not had any experience with unix or linux.

I've started reading one the "thick" books dealing with Linux but so
far the solution has not "appeared"
--
Elbert Clarke
elbertc**@home.com

------------------------------

From: Kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Encore n/w card support linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:01 GMT

Of course it does

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mezcal)
Subject: Re: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:54:23 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:40:31 -0500, "omega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Get the model with jumpers.
mez

------------------------------

From: Ed Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:55:01 GMT

Todd Bandrowsky wrote:
> a.    Lack of Unix documentation on X programming.  Just about every book at
> the store detailing Unix development emphasises the Web or other text based
> programming.  X, is, afterall, something of a Unix afterthought, and not
> really what Unix is all about.  On the other hand, Windows GUI documentation

Well I've used the same X books since about 1990 (I've added to them as
different versions of X where released). They worked under X on Suns,
DECs, and SGIs over the years. I haven't tried using them with Linux
yet, but I believe they will still give me the correct answers.

> b.    Lack of a standardized widget library.  Like, every X application has
> its own open file dialog.  Yikes.  Windows programmers quit that crap with
> Windows 3.1!   Windows has a set of core widgets that ship with, and it
> seems like X has ten different widget sets, none of which really stacks up
> completely against Windows.  This leads to c.

I guess you've never heard of MOTIF. I worked in the bad ol days of
Xlib. We then moved onto Xt and Xw. It has been quite a few years since
I hit X that low, I have since used nice GUI builders. Most based on
MOTIF, one that wasn't, but it provided a nice standard set of widgets.
Funny thing I was always required to follow the MOTIF standard for
dialogs and used the core widgets for say an open file dialog.

> d.    Really shitty printer support.  X does not seem to have the same
> concept of device independent drawing surfaces characterized by the

Well X isn't an OS. It can be more difficult to setup a printer under
Unix. But I've used some tools that make it easier. Remember X is the
basis for the graphics. You then layer a window manager of your choice
on it.

> e.    Font support.  X does not have anything like true type fonts.  I've
> yet to see an X application on my Linux box that does anything that I take
> for granted on Windows.

Strange I just installed True Type fonts on my Linux box and I am using
them with Netscape and xterm.

later,
Ed

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert@Play 98 AGP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:03:05 GMT

Rustan LeBaron wrote:

> I have an ATI Xpert@play 98 AGP w/ 8 meg RAM, and I cannot get it
> configured with XF86Setup...I have tried multiple configurations, does
> anyone out there have this card configured correctly on their Linux box?
> I am using Redhat 5.2, and XFree86 3.3.2 - I have 3.3.3.1 available but
> I haven't upgraded yet. Will I have more success getting my card to work
> with 3.3.3.1??

It'd help if you were more precise. If it's the X server which does not
start, you should save it's output to a file and post it here. Also,
add the XF86Config file. Then some sensiblle replies may follow.

X may fail to start due to a number of stupid issues not related to
the graphics card at all (e.g., misconfigured mouse or wrong monitor
characteristics).

The general advice on setting up X:
(a) write down your monitor's vertical and horizontal frequency
    ranges,
(b) you video card's name and it's memory size (in your case the Mach64
    server applies),
(c) check the mouse type and connection,
(d) it is a good idea to identify the mouse device and make a link
    /dev/mouse to the actual device,
(e) run the Xconfigurator, XF86Setup or any other program of your
    choice and supply the values,
(f) save prepared XF86Config, then run X and enjoy.

Regards,
Artur Swietanowski
                                                     -- Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: Hugh McCurdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS & Serial I/O Woes
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:03:01 GMT

Kyle Dansie wrote:

> Hugh McCurdy wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to help someone load Linux to a Toshiba
> > Satellite 4005CDS notebook computer.
> >
> > Linux loads and runs but it can't use the serial port.
> > Want to use the serial port as a login (getty) port.
> > Linux Kernel 2.0.35.
> >
> > Connected a breakout box.  Lights look OK.  Attempting
> > to send from Toshiba does not flicker the TD light
> > (as it should).
> >
> > Rebooted to Win98.  Noted that data and signal lights
> > from Toshiba turn off during Win98 boot.
> >
> > Tried DOS based terminal emulator.  Lights come on.
> > Still can't send characters from Toshiba.
> >
> > Tried HyperTerm.  It turns the lights and and did allow
> > sending of data.  (Great, must need a secret code...)
> >
> > And I believe one of two things are wrong.
> >
> > 1) The Toshiba should work but it broken.
> > 2) The Toshiba's design is such that Linux won't be able
> >         to use the serial port.
> >
> > * Does anyone have a Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS that works or
> > doesn't work with respect to serial I/O under Linux?
> > (Or a computer in the same model series?)
> > Clearly, if other computers of the same model work, I can
> > claim to Toshiba that the computer is broken.
> >
> > * Does anyone know of a Linux solution (like a program or
> > driver patch that can initialize a Toshiba port)?
> >
> > Or does anyone have any other useful or potentially
> > useful comments.  I will read the newsgroup and the
> > e-mail address I've supplied is valid.
> >
> > --
> > Hugh McCurdy
>
> What is your "config_serial" set to in /usr/src/linux/.config   It
> should be Y
> What does cat /proc/ioports say about the serial ports? They should be
> listed.
> Are there any error messages at boot time. You can view these with dmesg
> command.

Yes, serial support is compiled into the kernel (I've used this exact
same
kernel before).  The serial port shows up in /proc/ioports.  The serial
port shows up during boot.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

----
Hugh

------------------------------

From: "qwerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus Riva TNT on Red Hat 5.0 (Hurricane)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:08:27 GMT

Hi there!

Does anyone know how to make a Riva TNT with 16MBs (Asus, Creative or
Diamond) graphics card work on Red Hat 5.0.
(I want to see more than 16 colours).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD RW - Awful simple question
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:09:39 GMT

In article <7c0bms$dl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Volker Widor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :     All I want to use the CD RW for is backing up Linux.
> i also use my cdrw for backup.
> yust create an tar-archive (zipped or not) and write it as image
> to the cd.
> to restore you have to make a "dd /dev/scd? | tar ..."
> works realy fine ;-) you have the permissions,owners,... saved too
> (not so under iso) and it is there is no easy way under win,dos,...
> to sniff the cd for passwds,...

Ok, you can use dd to write the tar image to the CD under Linux, sort of
treating the CD as a tape drive.  Hm, I wonder if you can do a tar -f
/dev/scd?.

Do you have to "pre-format" the CD using something like cd-roast before doing
this?

Thanks a bunch,
Jonathan French