From: Johan Fredrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8hman?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MGE UPS ESV 11+
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:56:11 +0000

> Now I'm using MPE UPS ESV 11+ with Redhat 6.0 .
>
> The driver in the homepage of MGE is based on glibc 2.0.x
>
> But it worked well without any problem.
>
> Please read documents carefully..

That is very strange !!!  I've talked to several people that have the same
problem as I have !
I use Mandrake 6.0 (almost Readhat), and I really followed the documentation.

--
JFO

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Trying to set up X Server . . . VGA card not listed.  Need help
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:36:58 -0600

jdm wrote:

> I have succesfully installed SuSE Linux on my older pentium system,
> but my ancient (1994) ISA VESA VGA card is not listed in the list of
> supported cards in the X11R6 configuration utility.  It was made in
> Taiwan by Joytech Computer, and has a Cirrus Logic chipset with the
> numbers CL-GD5428-80QCA and CL-GD5904-20DC-A1.   I have no idea what
> the clock settings and other low-level configuration options might be
> on this card.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the
> safest way to configure X for this card?

Try the Cirrus Logic GD542x driver.  My experience is that these cards
often work, but have strange graphics glitches during I/O and such.

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux compatible laser printer
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:03:03 -0500

akm76 wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for advice on choosing the right laser printer for my linux box.
> What features should i look for, and which should i avoid?
> ( already got in trouble getting "softmodem" )
> Thanks

Take a look at...

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?predef=CJ
Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice.
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:46:49 -0600

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Scott Marlowe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >sincero arcadio wrote:
> >
> >> Floyd Davidson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >> : the total power per unit is about 40 watts, and 8 of them adds up to
> >> : more than 250 watts!  Probably the best solution there is a pair of 250
> >> : watt supplies.
> >>
> >>         Oohh ... now theres an idea I haven't thought of!  Use a pair of
> >> 250watt power supplies.  I've been doing searches for power supplies
> >> greater than 300W and those things are actually pretty expensive (like
> >> close to $100 or even more)!  Using two 250W supplies would definitely be
> >> cheaper.  Now, i wonder how I would hook it up so one switch would power
> >> on both power supplies ... doesn't sound too hard, but I'm no electrician.
> >
> >If you're going to the trouble to build a large RAID array, you might wanna
> >look at a large all in one enclosure that has dual redundant power supplies.
> >
> >Super Micro makes a case (SC-800/SC-800A) that has 11 5.25 HH bays, and dual
> >350 or 400 watt hot swappable supplies.  When it positively absolutely has to
> >stay up, these are pretty nice choices, and run about $500 to $600.
> >
> >I've seen larger enclosures with 18-22 5.25 HH bays with dual 400s running
> >about $1,000 or so.
>
> The fellow points out that he feels a 300W power supply is
> "pretty expensive" at "$100 or even more", so you recommend $500
> to $1000 dollar solutions instead?  That is a joke?
>
> In the original article he mentioned acquiring the hard disks for
> $25 each.  I don't think this is intended to be a system that
> "positively absolutely has to stay up" so much as it is "how much
> RAID can one get for almost no money".

Building a RAID with 8 drives sucking 40 watts each is about a lot more than just
the power supplies.

If he doesn't get an enclosure with lots of fans and good airflow, he might as
well not even hook the drives up for the short period of time they'll last.

For $500 you get eight fans, dual 350 redundant supplies, and a very large case.
Even an inexpensive 5.25" FH case that can hold two drives
usually runs around $100 to $150.  A $500 case with both power supplies and
plenty of airflow seems cheap when you compare it to the data that goes in, and
trust me, I've tried building large arrays on the cheap, and you can either pay
up front, or pay on the back, but you will pay one way or another.

alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jul 1999 12:18:28 -0400

Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> jdm wrote:
> >
> > I have succesfully installed SuSE Linux on my older pentium system,
> > but my ancient (1994) ISA VESA VGA card is not listed in the list of
> > supported cards in the X11R6 configuration utility.  It was made in
> > Taiwan by Joytech Computer, and has a Cirrus Logic chipset with the
> > numbers CL-GD5428-80QCA and CL-GD5904-20DC-A1.   I have no idea what
> > the clock settings and other low-level configuration options might be
> > on this card.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the
> > safest way to configure X for this card?
> >
> > My monitor is a Sony Multiscan 200ES.
> >
> > jdm
> knowing the chipset is more important than the card,

true enough.

> if it does svga the XF86_SVGA server should work

not true.  there's a svga bios done in 16 bit code on svga cards.  it
has nothing to do with the XF86_SVGA server.  the XF86_SVGA server is
just xfree86's accellerated server with a grab bag of supported
chipsets.  your card may or may not be supported by it.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Date: 18 Jul 1999 15:25:43 GMT

Scott Marlowe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>sincero arcadio wrote:
>
>> Floyd Davidson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> : the total power per unit is about 40 watts, and 8 of them adds up to
>> : more than 250 watts!  Probably the best solution there is a pair of 250
>> : watt supplies.
>>
>>         Oohh ... now theres an idea I haven't thought of!  Use a pair of
>> 250watt power supplies.  I've been doing searches for power supplies
>> greater than 300W and those things are actually pretty expensive (like
>> close to $100 or even more)!  Using two 250W supplies would definitely be
>> cheaper.  Now, i wonder how I would hook it up so one switch would power
>> on both power supplies ... doesn't sound too hard, but I'm no electrician.
>
>If you're going to the trouble to build a large RAID array, you might wanna
>look at a large all in one enclosure that has dual redundant power supplies.
>
>Super Micro makes a case (SC-800/SC-800A) that has 11 5.25 HH bays, and dual
>350 or 400 watt hot swappable supplies.  When it positively absolutely has to
>stay up, these are pretty nice choices, and run about $500 to $600.
>
>I've seen larger enclosures with 18-22 5.25 HH bays with dual 400s running
>about $1,000 or so.

The fellow points out that he feels a 300W power supply is
"pretty expensive" at "$100 or even more", so you recommend $500
to $1000 dollar solutions instead?  That is a joke?

In the original article he mentioned acquiring the hard disks for
$25 each.  I don't think this is intended to be a system that
"positively absolutely has to stay up" so much as it is "how much
RAID can one get for almost no money".

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Tschumper)
Subject: recovery nightmare, corrupt part'n table/MBR
Date: 18 Jul 1999 16:23:56 GMT

A program (running from my Win95 partition) trashed my partition table
(and the rest of the Master Boot Record). Normally, this would be an easy
fix.  I'd boot with my RedHat 6.0 boot and rescue disks and use fdisk to fix
the partition table.  As luck would have it, the partition info was stored
on an RS6K machine where I work which has also died.

My idea now is to use the fact that the / partition starts on cylinder 1 and
is assigned to /dev/hda1.  About 400 MB are allocated to this partition.
Could I run fdisk, guess at the ending cylinder, write the table, and try
rebooting.  Eventually I should get the correct ending cylinder and be able
to mount /dev/hda1.  Once that happens I can get to /boot and fix everything
else (hopefully).  A ``dd if=boot.0300 of=/dev/hda1 bs=446 count=1`` should
do the trick if I can find a /boot/boot.0300 file for my ide drive.

The question is, does fdisk write anywhere OTHER THAN the MBR.
If so, the procedure outlined above will destroy the info on disk that
I am desperately trying to recover.

Alternatively, if fdisk does indeed write to disk, should I not be able to
use that info to reconstruct the partition table somehow?

Any help, suggestions, or insight would be greatly apprecieated.

Greg Tschumper

Subject: problem w/ Canopus 2500 TNT using NVidia X Server
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy McClanahan)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:22:41 GMT

Hi all,

I'm using the NVidia X server, and have one remaining problem with the
video on my box - everything works fine in 8-bit colour, but anything
higher the colours go all screwy (_lots_ of greens and purples!) - I'm
guessing it doesn't support the refresh rate I want to use. Anyone have
this working - could you please post your modelines?

thanks!

------------------------------

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:07:32 -0700

Hello,
   I'm buiding my first Linux Box, here's my current list of hardware,
comments welcome reguarding performace/price and compatibility.

Mark

Mother Board  - Abit BE6                         ~$120
CPU           - P3 450                           ~$280
RAM           - 128 MB PC100 generic             ~$100
Hard Drive    - Quantum Fireball KA ATA/66 9.1GB ~$150
Graphics Card - Creative TNT 16 MB               ~$ 80
Sound Card    - SB Live Value (OEM)              ~$ 50
CD-ROM        - Samsung 40X                      ~$ 40
Modem         - Zoom Model #2919                 ~$ 60
Mouse         - MS Intellimouse PS2              ~$ 20
Keyboard      - MS Natural PS2                   ~$ 20
Floppy        - Sony 1.44MB                      ~$ 15
Case          - Inwin Mini-Tower                 ~$ 50
                                       Total     ~$985

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip Drive Linux 2.0.10 fails
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:22:52 GMT

Hi Ruud: Apparently, there are different versions of the IOMEGA ATAPI
Zip 100 drive.  I have one computer where it works and another where it
does not.  The one where it does not work is the newer purchase, which
leads me to suspect that IOMEGA made some changes that the driver does
not reflect, given that it has not been updated in 2 years.

/ivo welch

From: Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 - Another One
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:31:06 GMT

I have installed a new ATI AIW128, and was wondering if anyone's figured
out how to configure them yet.

Mine is an AGP model with 16MB.

For Linux purposes, I'm only interested in basic operation...for now.

Thanks,

Taylor

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Arnold)
Subject: Printing problem with RH 5.2; dead parallel port?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:06:26 GMT

I thought I posted this yesterday, but it didn't show up, so I'm trying again.

Howdy all:

I've got a Xerox XJ6C, which does PCL3, but all I get is:

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops (1488) op_array(486)
0x817b0d4:Ex

and then the rest scrolls off the edge of the page.  I had it working on my
main box (K6-350) in both RH5.2 (kernel 2.0.35) and windoze (OSR2.1).  Then I
put it on my samba box (same version of RedHat), a pentium 100, 430FX board.
I've tried setting the port as SPP, EPP, and ECP, with no luck.  The BIOS
doesn't do 0x3BC, and 0x378 conflicts with the NIC, so 0x278 is my only
choice.  I appended lilo.conf with "lp=0x278,7" and tunelp reports the same as

the boot message, that lp0 is using IRQ 7.  There are no errors when using:

lpr "testfile"

nothing gets stuck in the queue, and the printer seems to respond and sucks in

a sheet of paper, but then stops.  If I hit the formfeed button on the
printer, I get the page with the above error message on it (or sometimes a
blank page, or sometimes two).  There are no errors in the log file, lp is
compiled in the kernel, and the printtool entry in printcap points to lp0.

lpc status:

lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

/etc/printcap:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 1 1
lp|xerox-txt:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

cat /proc/devices:

Character devices:
 1 mem
 2 pty
 3 ttyp
 4 ttyp
 5 cua
 6 lp
 7 vcs

Block devices:
 3 ide0
 8 sd

cat /proc/ioports:

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0278-027f : lp
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0300-031f : NE2000
0360-037f : NE2000
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
3000-3007 : IDE DMA
6000-60ff : BusLogic BT-950

ls -l /dev/lp*:

crw-rw----   1 root     daemon     6,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----   1 root     daemon     6,   1 May  5  1998 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----   1 root     daemon     6,   2 May  5  1998 /dev/lp2

In system messages during boot up:

Jul 17 21:37:29 horton kernel: lp0 at 0x0278, (irq = 7)

Anybody got any answers/suggestions?  The only thing that makes sense is a
dead port.

Thanks in advance, Steve

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:19:46 -0600

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>    I'm buiding my first Linux Box, here's my current list of hardware,
> comments welcome reguarding performace/price and compatibility.
>
> Mark
>
> Mother Board  - Abit BE6                         ~$120

If it was me, I'd buy the BP6 dual socket 370 mobo.  It's about $15.00
more expensive, but then you can

> CPU           - P3 450                           ~$280

buy a pair of Celeron 433s for $119 a piece, or $238.

While there's been a lotta hoopla about Linux not being as good at SMP as
NT, in fact, if the SMP is happening in user space, i.e. you are running
a database, a web server and a ftp server, each one gets a fair bit of
time to run.  It can really make for a snappy machine, since Unix doesn't
run the GFX subsystem in kernel space, but in user space, X can be
hogging one CPU while the OS busily uses the other.

> RAM           - 128 MB PC100 generic             ~$100

Just make sure you buy it somewhere that'll trade it for another brand
etc... all the standard issues with memory about compatibility.  If it
works, no big deal, if it doesn't don't get caught in an exchange
nightmare.

> Hard Drive    - Quantum Fireball KA ATA/66 9.1GB ~$150

I've got a softspot for Quantums.  Overall I've had good luck with them,
as well as most Maxtors, and Seagate Barracuda's.  The fireballs are nice
performers for a reasonable cost.

> Graphics Card - Creative TNT 16 MB               ~$ 80

Got one.  Works fine.  Mostly just a nice big dumb display for XFree86,
but really shines on 3D stuff.  I'd say the output is pretty crisp on
mine.

> Sound Card    - SB Live Value (OEM)              ~$ 50

> CD-ROM        - Samsung 40X                      ~$ 40
> Modem         - Zoom Model #2919                 ~$ 60

I'm assuming this isn't a winmodem.  if it is don't get it.

> Mouse         - MS Intellimouse PS2              ~$ 20
> Keyboard      - MS Natural PS2                   ~$ 20
> Floppy        - Sony 1.44MB                      ~$ 15
> Case          - Inwin Mini-Tower                 ~$ 50
>                                        Total     ~$985

Everything else is fine.  Another thing to look at doing is splurging on
a second small hard drive to mirror critical partitions of your machine.
RAID 1 is an advantage Linux has that isn't too hard to use, if you've
got the time to read up on it.  A second small drive can be a nice
insurance policy.