Linux-Hardware Digest #796, Volume #9            Sun, 21 Mar 99 14:13:50 EST

Contents:
  Re: BT speedway, red hat 5.1/2, hisax?? howto?? (Nix)
  Re: 3Com 3C905B (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Modems and KDE (Lee Wee Tiong)
  kernel 2.2.3 and CS4236b (Erik Oude Tanke)
  3c59x.c NIC driver compile problem--gcc guru help please! ("Bill Parker")
  Re: Help - DPT 3755 RAID ("Syunsuke Ogata")
  LAVA parallel PCI card... (Patrick Mayer)
  Re: AMD K6 stepping B and kernel 2.2.3 (wizard)
  Re: Help! My USR modem doesn't work!! (Brian R. Tibbetts)
  Re: Adding harddrive after installation? Format? (Gerald Willmann)
  Problems with Yamaha YMF719E-S soundcard (Martin Nilsson)
  Re: What videocard do you use? (Colin)
  Re: SiS - has *anyone* got it working. (was Re: Help with Diamond SpeedStar A50 (SiS
6326AGP) (Andrew Robertson)
  Adding harddrive after installation? Format? (bif spif)
  Re: Adding harddrive after installation? Format? (bif spif)
  HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5 (mvrao)
  Re: HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5 (mvrao)
  Re: HP Laserjet 1100 Problems (Rainer Kiehne)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Tim Kelley)
  Fonts - messed up fonts on exit for X? (bif spif)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Dolphin)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Hartmann
Schaffer)
  Re: CD mount error ("Richie")

From: Nix <$}xin{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BT speedway, red hat 5.1/2, hisax?? howto??
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:22:25 +0000

Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

Oh, fsck, the nntpcache spew is here as well.

Time to send off some complaints, I think.

*argh*

--
`Anything else just amounts to repeatedly hitting yourself on the head
 with a virtual icepick, and is just about as useful.' - Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 3Com 3C905B
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Mar 1999 08:54:35 -0500

Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jeff Shultz wrote:
> >
> > On 21 Mar 1999 04:35:17 GMT, Dan Nguyen wrote:
> >
> > :>With the 2.2 kernel running the version .99H of the driver, it
> > :>detected this and fixes the problems.
> >
> > Smooth - too bad its such a pain to update such stuff in Linux. (I'm
> > not going to risk my working system right now to upgrade and rebuild
> > my kernel and all).
>
> Updating a kernel is a zero risk operation, if you don't overwrtie
> the old one. On my box, each kernel has a name with the version
> number (no surprise). Same with the source tree and modules
> directory. Then all you need to do is point lilo to the new kernel
> (maybe not even as a default) and try it. If it works, you're in
> business, if it doesn't, just go back to the previous kernel.

Yeah, but if you are running 2.0.xx of linux, and want to run 2.2.x of linux,
then you have to install various upgrades.  What I tend to do is have a second
root partition that is the roughly same size as the current root partition, and
use that when I'm playing around with an incompatible release.  That way, you
have your working system, and an area to play in upgrading commands, etc.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PO Box 98, Ayer Massachusetts, USA 01432-0098

From: Lee Wee Tiong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems and KDE
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:34:15 +0900

go to http://www.kde.org

--
LWT

------------------------------

From: Erik Oude Tanke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.2.3 and CS4236b
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:12:49 +0000

I've upgraded Redhat 5.2 with kernel 2.2.3
i get the following error message:

------------------------------

From: "Bill Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3c59x.c NIC driver compile problem--gcc guru help please!
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:46:05 -0500

Hello:

I am trying to compile the Linux 3Com network adapter driver, 3c59x.c,
version 0.99H without success.  The distribution is SuSE 5.2 with standard
kernel 2.0.33.  The compiler is gcc version 2.7.2.1.

Driver 3c59x.c, version 0.49J, 2/7/98--the driver native to this
distribution-- compiles without difficulty.  Version 0.99H, 11/17/98, of the
driver always fails to compile.

This is the compile command I am using.  Verbose mode is on.  Can anyone
interpret these messages and give me a clue where the problem may be?

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -v -o6 -c 3c59x.c

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.1

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/cpp -lang-c -v -undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__G
NUC_MINOR__=7 -D__ELF__ -Dunix -Di386 -Dlinux -D__ELF__ -D__unix__ -D__i386_
_ -D__linux__ -D__unix -D__i386 -D__linux -Asystem(unix) -Asystem(posix) -Ac
pu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -D__i486__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ 3c59x.c
/tmp/cca00400.i
GNU CPP version 2.7.2.1 (i386 Linux/ELF)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/i486-linux/include
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/include
 /usr/include
End of search list.
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/cc1
/tmp/cca00400.i -fno-strength-reduce -quiet -dumpbase 3c59x.c -version -o
/tmp/cca00400.s
GNU C version 2.7.2.1 (i386 Linux/ELF) compiled by GNU C version 2.7.2.1.
3c59x.c:94: parse error before `<'
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -v -o6 -c
3c59x.cgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -v -o6 -c 3c59x.c: In function
`vortex_probe1':
3c59x.c:879: stray '\' in program
3c59x.c:879: parse error before `;'
3c59x.c:926: `mii_preamble_required' undeclared (first use this function)
3c59x.c:926: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
3c59x.c:926: for each function it appears in.)
3c59x.c: In function `mdio_read':
3c59x.c:2047: `mii_preamble_required' undeclared (first use this function)
3c59x.c: In function `mdio_write':
3c59x.c:2079: `mii_preamble_required' undeclared (first use this function)

------------------------------

From: "Syunsuke Ogata" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help - DPT 3755 RAID
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:53:39 +0900

Barry Davilli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Does anyone have experience using a DPT 3755 RAID controller?
> IF so, what driver would you recommend,

DPT was released Linux driver for new RAID controller series.

Access to http://www.dpt.com/ You will get RedHat Boot&Supp disk
images.

--
Syunsuke Ogata
Genius Technology, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Mayer)
Subject: LAVA parallel PCI card...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:16:50 GMT

Hi,

I've just bought a LAVA parallel PCI card and wondered if it is possible to
make it work with Linux (so I could use z Zip Driver and a printer at the same
time). Any insight would be appreciated on this matter.

Thank you :)

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6 stepping B and kernel 2.2.3
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:55:23 -0500

billysara wrote:

> I just installed a new kernel/modutils etc, for my RH5.2 system.  Alas,
> the whole system hangs after a few minutes use (no keyboard responce
> etc).
> I'm running 2.0.36 just now which reports that I have a K6 with stepping
> B - stability problems with systems over 32mb (i have 64), but 2.0.36
> run fine with weeks of uptime.
> Just wondering if 2.2.x is more prone to the instability from this dodgy
> batch of K6's, or have I messed up installing the kernel?
> After one reboot I actually (gasp) got a kernel panic while it was
> fsck'ing the drives.
> I've set the syslog level to debug, but there are no messages suggesting
> anything went wrong - just normal kernel messages etc...
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Billy.

Bill

Why not demand a new processor from AMD.    If they indeed have a
documented problem it would seem to me that it should be easy to compel
them to upgrade your chip.    If they won't complain loudly in the news
groups, as I'm sure many of use would want to know about how AMD handles
thier customers.

The new kernel is excellent!    However I have no idea as to wether someone
came up with a work around for this problem.    As it is I have one machine
running a 2.2.3-2 (the rawhide RPMS) and am getting excellent performance.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian R. Tibbetts)
Subject: Re: Help! My USR modem doesn't work!!
Date: 21 Mar 1999 10:23:22 -0500

    Tadashi> Hello, everyone. Help, please! I'm having a trouble to
    Tadashi> configure my U.S. Robotics Sportster 28.8 Internal
    Tadashi> FaxModem (I purchased it about 3 years ago) on RedHat
    Tadashi> Linux 5.1. When I use "minicom" command, I can see a
    Tadashi> string, "AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0," but after
    Tadashi> that, the cursor goes back to the beginning of the
    Tadashi> string(so the cursor is on the letter "A" of "AT..")
    Tadashi> without showing "OK." Then, the cursor is stuck, so I
    Tadashi> cannot type any commands. My modem is connected to COM2,
    Tadashi> and both "setserial /dev/modem" and "setserial /dev/cua1"
    Tadashi> show the result, "UART: 16550A, Port:0x02f8, IRQ: 3."
    Tadashi> What's wrong with this? By the way, my modem works very
    Tadashi> well on my Windows NT. Thank you very much.

    Tadashi> Tadashi Ochi [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Have you configured pnp?  Check out pnpdump and isapnp.

Brian
Brian Tibbetts                          Tel: (518) 276-2275
Resident Research Engineer,
Center for Automation Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
http://www.cat.rpi.edu/~tibbetts        Fax: (518) 276-4897

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding harddrive after installation? Format?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:40:30 -0800

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, bif spif wrote:

> I installed RedHat 5.2.  Everyting is working fine.  I have an old
> disk that I want to add.  It has a small dos partition and an old
> linux installation.  I want to reformat the drive so I can use all of
> it as storage.  Something like /storage.  It is the primary slave
> drive.  I have looked for formating info in the help file and in man.
> Nothing.  I did finc mkfs and mkext2fs but I am not sure they do what
> I want. How can I reformat the drive so that it is one big empty drive?

being the primary slave (which sounds like an IDE drive) it should be
/dev/hdb. First, as root, use fdisk to delete the old partitions and
create one large linux native new one. Then you can make a ext2 fs on
it. Create a mountpoint for it (/storage if you like or use it as /tmp)
and mount it with mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb /storage. Finally add a line
to your fstab to have it mounted and umounted (and also fscked)
automatically - if you ever reboot that is.
                                                  Gerald

PS: there is a HOWTO or mini-HOWTO called harddisk upgrade (I believe)
which should contain pertinent info.

------------------------------

From: Martin Nilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with Yamaha YMF719E-S soundcard
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:52:29 +0000

Hi all,

I have a Soundblaster Live soundcard but because Linux doesn't support
it I had to install my old soundcard Yamaha YMF719E-S in my computer
also. So now I have two soundcards. When I start my computer it founds
the card.

Found OPL3-SAX PNP Soundcard

Then I tries to install it with sndconfig. I have installed sound as
modules in the kernel. When i run sndconfig and tries different
solutions I get this error:

The following error occurred running
the modprobe program:

/lib/modules/2.2.3/misc/sb.o:
init_module: Device or resource busy
sound: Device or resource busy

And it doesn't matter which card I choice. I have all cards which I
choice as modules. When I tries with the choice OPL3-SAX I get this
error:

The following error occurred running the modprobe program:

/lib/modules/2.2.3/misc/ad1848.o: too many values for dma  (max
1)
sound: Device or resource busy                             ad1848: No
such file or directory

When I run sndconfig it doesn't find my ISA-PNP-Card.

I have installed OSS earlier and then I got my card to work but because
there was a timelimit it disappeared.

Earlier I also had kernel 2.0.36 and now I have 2.2.3. Does it matter?

Which version of OSS should I download for my configuration?

AMD K6-2 350
redhat-release-5.2-1
kdebase-1.1-3rh5x
sndconfig-0.27-1
gtk+-1.0.6-3
gtk+-devel-1.0.6-3
glibc-2.0.7-29
glibc-devel-2.0.7-29
libc-5.3.12-28

Know I get really tired of my card and I want it to work. Please
somebody, help me!!

Regards Martin

------------------------------

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: What videocard do you use?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:51:08 -0500

Andrew Comech wrote:

> Hmmm... what's `monitor'?

According to the dictionary, it's a "visual display unit".  It's the thing
you're looking at right now!!!

Get the manual for your monitor and check for the minimum and maximum
horizontal and vertical refresh rates.
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: Andrew Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: SiS - has *anyone* got it working. (was Re: Help with Diamond SpeedStar
A50 (SiS 6326AGP)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:43:49 +0000

> I'm having resolution problems with SiS 5598 on RH5.2.  Some
> of the stuff that 'startx' spews out to STDERR (before actually
> running X at 320x200) says:
>
>     SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 35.16kHz. Deleted.(--)
>
> In fact *all* modes get "Deleted" like this, which is
> presumably why it then goes on to say:
>
>     SVGA: Using builtin driver modes(--)
>     SVGA: Builtin Mode: 320x200(--)
>     SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 320x204(--)
>     SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024
>
> Even if I frig XF86Config to have the correct hsync and
> vsync values (i.e. the ones it says it needs) and so get rid
> of those "Deleted" messages, still I get only low
> resolution.
>
> Is it significant that I also get an ominous "Unknown chipset"
> message (in that same STDERR):
>
>     SVGA: PCI: SiS Unknown chipset (0x0200) rev 104, Memory @0xe1000000, 0xe1400000,
>I/O @ 0xe000(--)
>     SVGA: chipset:  generic(--)
>     SVGA: videoram: 64k(**)

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

64k of video memory will only buy you standard vga mode. You need to
specify
the correct amount in your XF86Config file.

I'm running XF86 3.3.3 and the SiS 5598 is supported (I've got one!)

Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bif spif)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:09:33 GMT

Thanks.  I had looked for the howto before but couldn't find it.  Now
everyting is OK>

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:18:59 +0000

When I use the default printer defs stc.upp, stc_l.upp and stc_h.upp, I
get very good results. But I went to define the default printer 'lp' to
print only grey. So I used all the parameters in stc_l.upp except
I changed '-dupColorModel=/DeviceGray' . It now DOES print Grayscale but
in reverse video !!! The lighter areas print darker ( for e.g. the
background) and vice-cersa. Can anyone enlighten me how to correct this
?

TIA,
m v r

------------------------------

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:21:34 +0000

mvrao wrote:

> When I use the default printer defs stc.upp, stc_l.upp and stc_h.upp, I
> get very good results. But I went to define the default printer 'lp' to
> print only grey. So I used all the parameters in stc_l.upp except
> I changed '-dupColorModel=/DeviceGray' . It now DOES print Grayscale but
> in reverse video !!! The lighter areas print darker ( for e.g. the
> background) and vice-cersa. Can anyone enlighten me how to correct this
> ?
>
> TIA,
> m v r

Oh BTW, I am using the uniprint driver. I checked all doc on Uniprint I
could find and no clue.

m v r

------------------------------

From: Rainer Kiehne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 1100 Problems
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:27:07 +0100

Grant Taylor wrote:

> Rainer Kiehne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I've got two problems with my Laserjet 1100, Linux Mandrake 5.3,
> > ghostscript-4.03-1 using th Laserjet 4/5/6 driver
>
> I would suggest an upgrade to Ghostscript verion 5.10 or 5.50 just as
> a matter of course.  I doubt that the ljet4 driver has been changed in
> any big way, but it never hurts to have the improved Postscript
> support offered by the latest Ghostscript version.
>
> > Printing more then one page via ghostscript takes a lot of
> > time. Every single page is treated as a singel printjob. This
> > problem does not happen using dvilj, but there are lots of .ps
> > documents out there...
>
> This printer is indeed listed as being slow in the compatibiliy list*;
> the comment says "seems to be limited by parallel port speeds/speed of
> host computer".
>
> Ghostscript will always render a page then dump it to the printer as a
> bitmap; this is how Postscript programs are structured and this is how
> all Postscript implementations work (those inside printers do not face
> a bottleneck, however, between themselves at the printer mechanism).
> Dvilj is not limited to dumping one page at a time in bitmap form;
> although I don't know much about it, it would be reasonable for dvilj
> to be defining fonts as downloadable PCL fonts and then printing each
> page by just telling the printer to put each character in the proper
> place.  This would typically result in less data...
>
> > Postscript graphics are only printed with 300x300 dpi. Using 600x600
> > results in pictures where the lines are displaced against each
> > other.
>
> Now this I'm not aware of.  I'm not quite clear on what you are
> describing, though - what do you mean by displaced lines, and what
> sort of graphics - vector graphics or embedded bitmapped pictures?

1. Ghostscript 5.50 works. :-)))

graphics are printed nice now. (before the looked like this:

xxxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
   xxxxxxxxxxx
...)

2 Thanks about yout short look on PCL+Postscript.
The slow printing seems to be dependent of the printer memory.
300dpi printing results in fast page output. It seems like the lj1100 can
store
only one 600dpi page at a time so it prints one page, waits, prints another
page, waits,...
Queing more printjobs in the printer memory makes it print page after page
without delay.

Have a nice day.
Rainer

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:38:44 -0600

rocky@ro wrote:

> In article <7d1svu$1m4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Wayne says...

> People reallly care about quality more than anything.
>
> How many of us users look at the Linux source code? I bet less than 1% of
> 1% look at the source code. most of us want good applications to use and
> we are happy.

Actually, you not going very deep into this .... just because one
doesn't understand the source code does not mean that you're not
benefiting (directly) from having it.

Aside from the quality problem (which Free Software admirably solves)
there is the vendor lock-in problem (proprietary file formats).  Closed,
proprietary file formats are the biggest evil in the computer industry
today and the biggest threat to being able to share freely (or do
commerce in) information that *you* own.  This is the single greatest
contributor to the monopoly problem in the computer industry today.  I
think if we could abolish this one thing, everything would eventually
start to even out.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bif spif)
Subject: Fonts - messed up fonts on exit for X?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:11:35 GMT

Sometime after I exit from X (KDE or RedHat), my screen fonts are so
garbled that I have to reboot.  The look like russian.  It doesn't
happen oftern but it does cause a reboot.  Any ideas?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dolphin)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:05:38 GMT

No,  the I-Mac is for idiots. Windows is for sadists :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:01:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:
> And prior to AmigaDOS, I'd never heard of BCPL, or their whacked

Don't blame BCPL foir that.  It has been around since the mid to late 1960s

> out "pointer divided by 4" scheme, which only makes sense if
> one thinks about the fact that the original Amigas were 256K;
> dividing a pointer by 4 thereby allows it to be shoved into a
> shortword (2 bytes, maximum value 64K).  But that's still weird.

Maybe a brief history lesson is in order:  BCPL was developed at a time
when byte addressing hardware was still the exceptiuon.  The early
implementations were on machines with a wordlength just big enough to hold
a pointer to a word, and that assumption was firmly built into the language
(pointer arithmetic).  It was quite popular for a while, but fell into
disuse when byte addressing became prevalent, but not before having
inspired C.

Hartmann Schaffer
schaffer at netcom dot ca

From: "Richie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: CD mount error
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:59:15 -0000

Interesting...thanks, I will give it a go.