From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip drive-- mount partition 1 or 4????
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:22:09 -0500

Carbon111 wrote:

> Greetings,
>   Im running SuSE 6.1 but had this same problem for RH 5.2.
> My ATAPI Zip 100 sometimes works as /dev/hdd4 but sometimes dosent and i
> have to alter fstab to /dev/hdd1 to get it working again...then when
> that fails, I have to set it back to /dev/hdd4/
>   What is up with this?????

All the disks I've bought have been formatted on partition 4, so they all
mount on /dev/hd*4.  Have you reformatted those that now mount on
/dev/hdd1?

You can, of course, add two lines in /etc/fstab, but that still leaves the
pain of deciding which one to mount.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Help: Booting up problem.
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:02:13 -0600

"Max Barawid Jr." wrote:

> I have just installed Mandrake 6.0 (Venus).  The installation was
> successful without problem.  I recompiled the kernel to have my pcmcia
> network card and modem card work.  But when I reboot after all the
> procedures of compiling, (e.i. make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage,
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19.1, vi /etc/lilo.conf
> and lilo) the cursor just stays after "Finding module dependencies" and
> stays there and does nothing.  What could be the problem?
>
> Also I would like to ask while running the "make bzImage", there are
> some warning signs like "warning:  'sound_loader_lock'  defined but not
> used".  My Linux box is a Toshiba 320CDT notebook  Also I would like to
> make the sound card work which I haven't been successful.  I followed
> the SOUND HOWTO's but no help.  I appreciate very much for any help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Max

For your module dependencies, try

depmod -a 2.2.9-19.1 or whatever your new version is.

--
Stan

This message was sent to you from a machine powered by Linux...
(...for those who need to do more than peek through windows)

Suse 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.10

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Altering BIOS Values w/ Program ?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 14:21:09 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:36:43 +0200,
Erik Lins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>is there a possibility to alter bios setup values without using the
>internal bios setup program (hit del to enter...) but some other program
>? I have an embedded PC system without graphic and want to boot linux
>from some harddisk (configured on another machine), which already works.
>I compiled the kernal with root console on serial port. I thought it
>would be fine to have some Linux utility to alter BIOS settings.

There are already DOS programs that do this.  I don't know if Linux has
any such utilities.  If you want to adapt LILO to modify BIOS settings,
the DOS sources are probably what you want.  Check:

ftp://oakland.oak.edu/pub/msdos/

for these utilities.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: "Chris L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:56:27 -0500

Mark wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Roy Grimm wrote:
>>
>> > Sound Card    - SB Live Value (OEM)              ~$ 50
>> > CD-ROM        - Samsung 40X                      ~$ 40
>>
>> For future growth, you may want to consider getting a DVD ROM drive.  It
>> will cost a bit more but you won't have to upgrade it later.
>
>From the RedHat hardware compatibility list...
>"Some IDE and SCSI DVD drives will work with Red Hat Linux as CD-rom
>readers. This factor is usually dependent on how ATAPI or SCSI
>compatible their CD-rom facilities are."
>
>Does any one know of a compatible DVD ROM drive?

<snip>

My Toshiba DVD-ROM II worked just fine as a CD-ROM. I would guess that most
ATAPI DVD's would as well...

Chris L.

------------------------------

From: Michel van Klink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: creative labs webcam 1
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:39:06 +0200

"J.Janssen" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to find a driver to install the Creative Labs Webcam 1 under
> linux. Does anyone have more information about it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Klaas Toonen

Hallo,

Heeft u op deze posting nog enige response gekregen. Ik heb een webcam
II en ik vraag me af of daar drivers voor zijn te vinden.

Groeten,

Michel van Klink

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GUAY Dominic)
Subject: How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks???
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:19:27 GMT

Hi.
I need to access, format, read and write MS-DOS format disks under Linux.
Does any of you know of a way to get this to work??
thanks,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.digest,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Printer error in RH5.2 (Canon BJC-4100)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:22:01 GMT

I get the following error when I try to print a postscript file on my
Canon BJC 4100 printer. ( I have selected BJC-600 BJC-4000 as the input
filter, and I have RH5.2)

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
(1488)op_array(486)0x817b0d4:Execution stack at 0x813ccc8

I have tried printing a test postscript page as well as a file from gv
and get the same result. If the Canon drivers have been updated, could
someone let me know where to pick it from?

thanks
murli

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ide-scsi/cdrecord problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:17:31 GMT

I just purchased a Mitsumi 4802TE CD-RW for my PII/300 RH5.2/2.2 system.
I have a scsi card with a scanner attached, 2 IDE hard drives on 1 ide
channel, and the mitsumi on the other channel.  I simply replaced the
old cd-rom (which was working OK) with the mitsumi and it was able to
mount and read CDs no problem.  Then I tried to configure to burn CDs
and have managed to screw it up somehow.

I put append="hdc=ide-scsi" right after timeout=50 in lilo.conf and
added insmod ide-scsi and insmod sg to rc.local.  I also changed
/dev/cdrom to point to /dev/sg0 (tried sg1 as well).  The modules seem
to load ok, but here's what I get in dmesg:

aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
scsi : 1 host.
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 2 hosts.
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
cdrom: open failed.
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
cdrom: open failed.
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
  "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
scsi : 1 host.

Of course, cdrecord -scanbus gives me an error also, something about
can't load SCSI driver or something.  Anyone have ideas on how to
troubleshoot?  TIA.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers)
Subject: Who makes good AMD boxes?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 15:23:11 GMT

Here's what I'm looking for:
AMD K6-2 or K6-3 at 450
Good quality Motherboard (suggestions?)
64MB ram
CD ROM
8-9 gig hd
Linux compat AGP video _card_ (not on-board video)

That's all I need.  Don't need sound.  Don't need a monitor.

Who makes a good quality box at a decent price?

Thanks for any information you might give.

Cheers,
dar

------------------------------

From: Carl van Litsenborgh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: DAT tape device on Mylex DAC960 PCI card
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:06:09 +0200

I am running Redhat 6 on a Pentium II with a Mylex DAC960 card
installed.
I have 5 disks on channel 0 (ID 0 - 4), and they all work fine.

I installed a SONY AIT SDX-300 DAT tape drive on channel 0 ID 5.
The Mylex DOS tools see the device correctly.

How do I configure the DAT as a Linux tape device ?

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thank you

Carl van Litsenborgh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Help with modem dieing!
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:54:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>I have this really weird problem where my modem randomly decides it wants
>to stop working.  It used to happen about once a month but now has gotten
>as frequent as once a week, and this is after many times of connecting
>and disconnecting to my ISP.

[...]

>Jul  1 08:19:50 foo pppd[10080]: Connect script failed
>Jul  1 08:20:16 foo chat[10178]: SIGHUP
>Jul  1 08:20:16 foo chat[10178]: Can't restore terminal parameters: I/O
>error

[...]

Modems built around the Rockwell chipset are notorious for this kind
of behaviour; they need to be switched off and back on after some
uptime. If it gets worse, you might want to try slowing down the PC->modem
speed and see if it helps, but you'll probably have to go out shopping
for a new one in the next weeks. A V90 external (Acer Surf or similar)
should be available for some 55.-- to 75.-- USD .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: David Bremner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware - What should I buy?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 08:53:30 -0700

"Sage Mage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Graphix boards I recommend a TNT or TNT2 chipset.  I have a Riva TNT2 ultra
> and all I had to do was get the updated X server from Nvidia
>  www.nvidia.com ).  But if you are not too Linux savy, I believe RH6.0
> supports the Matrox G400 and G200 (which are very good boards).

Check on XFree86.org before following any advice from USENET. Including
the preceeding.  The G200 is supported in the current release of XFree86.
The G400 is currently supported by Xi Graphics commercial X server,
and is supposed to be supported by the next release of XFree86,
which is _supposed_ to released in July, but wasn't yesterday.

db

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP Colorado 14Gb EXTERNAL compatibility?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:07:59 GMT

Hi.  I'm thinking of buying a parallel-port tape drive and
am considering the HP Colorado 14Gb external drive.  I've
checked dejanews, the Linux parallel-port archive and some
other web sites and it looks like this device should work on
Linux, but being paranoid I thought I'd check a few things
first.  I've seen notes about the Colorado 5Gb and 8Gb drives
on the web, but nothing about the 14Gb (it must be relatively new?).

Would anyone be able to help me by answering any of the
following questions -

o  does anyone have a Colorado 14Gb external tape drive
   working (or not working) under Linux?

o  at this point I gather than only the 'rewind' mt function
   works for parallel-port tape drives?  Is there any way
   one can 'append' backup volumes to a HP Colorado tape?
   (i.e. 'mt eod' to the last filemark, etc).  Or is it the
   case at the moment that tapes can be used only for one
   volume at any time?

o  I've seen mention of 'Travan' in association with the HP
   Colorado drives, or the drives written as 'HP T8000'
   (for the 8Gb drive).  What is this 'Travan', please?  I'm
   worried I might buy the wrong drive!

Advice on the above points or comments in general on the HP
Colorado lines of parallel-port tape drives would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Rosser

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who makes good AMD boxes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:45:40 -0500

David A. Rogers wrote:

> Here's what I'm looking for:
> AMD K6-2 or K6-3 at 450
> Good quality Motherboard (suggestions?)
> 64MB ram
> CD ROM
> 8-9 gig hd
> Linux compat AGP video _card_ (not on-board video)
>
> That's all I need.  Don't need sound.  Don't need a monitor.
>
> Who makes a good quality box at a decent price?

Have you considered building your own?  It's intimidating if you haven't
done it before, but there's not really that much to it, especially if
you've changed cards and added memory before.  I built one similar to
what you're describing earlier this summer.

CPU - I used the K6-III-450.  Prices have fallen by c. 15% over the last
6 weeks.  You'll want a bigger CPU fan than just the cheapest you can
find (I spent c. $15US on mine, vs. c. $5US for the real cheapies), and
you should use some thermal grease to mount it.  The fastest AMDs are
pushing the thermal limit, and you'll get signals 4 and/or 11 when you
compile a custom kernel if you don't have sufficient cooling.

Motherboard - I used the FIC PA-2013.  You can get it with 1/2, 1, or 2
Mb cache, but I think this cache runs at board speed, so I'm not sure
it's a lot of help, since I'm running PC-100 memory anyway.  (I suppose
I should turn off my cache and test that guess next time I reboot.)  The
board is not entirely unproblematic: one dealer said he quit carrying it
because he was getting up to 20% returns, and my own first one cooked
itself after running about 12 hours.  But the dealer replaced it for
free, and things have been fine ever since.  Also, there's a
bewilderment of BIOS settings: I did some tweaks to the memory settings
and got a 14% speedup on a program I use for benchmarking, and I'm
curious whether other tweaks would be useful, but there are too many
combinations of settings to try them all at random.

Memory - The 128Mb PC-100 DIMMs were running c. $1US/Mb over the counter
earlier this summer.

CD-ROM - No suggestions; I just grabbed one off the shelf.

HD - No suggestions; I happened to grab a Western Digital of about the
size you mention.

Video - I bought a Matrox Millenium G200.  It works fine with the XFree
SVGA driver, and gives a very clear flicker-free image at 1280x1024.
(It will display at 1600x1200, but flickers for me -- I don't know
whether the limiting factor is the card or my monitor.)  There is a GLX
module for Mesa under development for this card, too, but as yet it
gives only modest 3D acceleration.

If you do decide to build your own, before you buy the parts you should
click up www.pricewatch.com to see what the theoretical lowest price for
each item is.  I ended up buying local, because I live in a fairly large
town where there are many shops to choose from.  I think I paid 10-15%
more than the theoretical minimal price, but it was convenient when I
had to exchange a couple of bad boards, and of course I wasn't left
stranded for weeks letting the warranty expire on some parts while I
waited for others to arrive.  But knowing the theoretic lowest price
will save you some real rip-offs.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PA-2013 BIOS settings.
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:54:17 -0500

The FIC PA-2013 has a large number of often bewildering BIOS settings.
After tweaking a few, I found that I could get a c. 14% speedup on one
program I was benchmarking.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of other
settings with functions I don't understand, and there are far too many
to try out combinatorically.

So after one thread where 4-5 people showed evidence of running the
PA-2013, I was wondering if we should try to pool our knowledge.  If
several of you will reply with an expression of interest, I'll throw
together a Web page reflecting what little I have discovered about it,
and then update it after others have looked at it and sent in
suggestions for improvement.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Geoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Viper770 Ultra & Xwindows
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:37:04 +0100

You are using the correct driver, however there is no entry under
Xconfigurator.

Select unlisted card from the Xconfigurator card list and use the SVGA
Server.
Select the highest monitor refresh rates if your monitor is not listed and
select the highest video mode you know your monitor can do. Any modes
unavailable will be thrown away when you startx.

Geoff.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: scsi tape errors -- more info
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:49:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Brian J. Corcoran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Don't know how I missed putting in my info:
> RedHat 5.2
> Kernel 2.2.10
> mt 5b.3
>
> Penitum II 333 x2
> Adaptec AIC 7895
> HP SureStore T20 10/20GB SCSI-II
> HP Colorado 20GB/TR-5/QIC-3220 tapes.
>
> --
> /----------------------------------------------\
> | Brian J. Corcoran     | ASA Real Estate Svcs |
> | Systems Developer     | 860.666.4198 fax     |
> | [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | 860.665.1000 x132    |
> *----------------------------------------------*
> |    Quark! Quark! Beware the quantum duck!    |
> \----------------------------------------------/

Snap,
Simular problem,
Hardware is ncr53c810 + PPro 200 + HP T20 Surestore Rev 3.00
Software is standard RH5.2
mt -f /dev/nst1 load works ok
mt -f /dev/nst1 rewind works ok

mt -f /dev/nst1 fsf 1 doesnt work at all
mt -f /dev/nst1 eod works ok (I'm surpised)

tar cvzf /dev/nst1 . works provided
1. The backup is <~500MB

I have a backup script that backups up about 9 mounts, most of them are
sub 500MB. One of them is > 500MB. I back them up one after the other
onto a no-rewind device (nst1) and all apart from the largest partition
works. This nearly always fails right at the end of the backup with the
failure below. I say nearly since it sometimes works. When it fails it
is always on the write filemark.

Other things I have noticed.
with a ncr53c810 this drive performs loads of disconnects, and appears
to work without a problem. BUT you have to wait to let the last
operation finish if you enable disconnects. ( sleep 10 ... yuck)

ncr53c810 has a setting safe:y, I've tried this and it makes no
differnce. This forces the driver to be very conservative about sync
negotiations etc.

I have annother drive ( HP35470A 2GB Dat ) that I have used for years
with the same card with no problems.

I havnt tried turning on full driver debug yet, but I guess that's the
next step, unless anyones found the problem yet.

Jul 12 20:29:43 isador kernel: ncr53c810-0:4: ERROR (a0:0) (8-0-0)
(0/3) @ (scri
pt 408:800c00ff).
Jul 12 20:29:43 isador kernel: ncr53c810-0: script cmd = c0000004
Jul 12 20:29:43 isador kernel: ncr53c810-0: regdump: da 00 00 03 47 00
04 1f 40
08 84 00 80 00 07 02.
Jul 12 20:29:43 isador kernel: ncr53c810-0: have to clear fifos.
Jul 12 20:29:43 isador kernel: ncr53c810-0: restart (scsi reset).
Jul 12 20:29:45 isador kernel: st1: Error with sense data: extra data
not valid
Current error st09:01: sense key Unit Attention
Jul 12 20:29:45 isador kernel: Additional sense indicates Power on,
reset, or bu
s device reset occurred
Jul 12 20:29:45 isador kernel: st1: Error with sense data: extra data
not valid
Current error st09:01: sense key Not Ready
Jul 12 20:29:45 isador kernel: Additional sense indicates Logical unit
is in pro
cess of becoming ready
Jul 12 20:29:45 isador kernel: st1: Error on write filemark.