  Xerox XJ8C ("Josh Meekhof")

From: "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install....
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:45:14 GMT

Hi Martin and Greg,
Thanks for both your replies... I will break the seal and see what
happens... I'd like to add a 4th question if you don't mind... namely I
already have Windows NT installed on my dual processor system, and have a
free partition on my HD... would Linux be able to coexist on the same HD
with NT, could I stick it in partition 4 and have it leave NT relatively
untouched? Anyway, while waiting for your reply, I'll be opening the seal
and trying to figure out which of the 4 enclosed Linux books to try
reading/printing (thank god for fast autoduplexing laser printers).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baxter)
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 1100 Problems
Date: 22 Mar 1999 20:07:04 GMT

In article <7ct0ca$iap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rainer Kiehne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
|> Hi,
|> I've got two problems with my Laserjet 1100, Linux Mandrake 5.3,
|> ghostscript-4.03-1
|> using th Laserjet 4/5/6 driver
|>
|> 1. Printig more then one page via ghostscript takes a lot of time. Every
|> single page is treated as a singel printjob. This problem does not
|> happen using dvilj, but there are lots of .ps documents out there...
|>
|> 2. postscript graphics are only printed with 300x300 dpi. Using 600x600
|> results in pictures where the lines are displaced against each other.
|>
|> Has anyone solved these problems ?
|>
|> TIA Rainer Kiehne

I've had exactly the same problems, all of which disappeared on upgrading to
Ghostscript 5.50. I now get 7-8 pages/minute at 600 dpi, which is of course the HP
claimed
rate. Before upgrading, I was getting a wretched 2 pages/minute. The problem seemed
to be in how dvips used Ghostscript 4.x, because dvilj/dvihp were also getting about
8 pages/minute. I suspect that this is precisely why the Printing-Howto page lists it
as a slow printer. I'm now happy with its performance.

Dr Brad Baxter
Department of Mathematics
Imperial College
London SW7 2BZ
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~baxter

From: ernie biancarelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ricoh MP7040A
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:49:22 -0700

Anyone using this CD writer with xcdroast?

Does xcdroast even support this writer?
Ernie Biancarelli
(303)415-6179
Aztek Engineering                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2477 55th St. Suite 202
Boulder, CO 80301-2835 USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
falls flat)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:43:24 -0800

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:52:47 -0500, Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thad Phetteplace wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I started a list of things that would have to be done to Linux to make
>> > it into a true "end user" OS.  I gave up about the time I got to
>> > "rewrite Xwindows".
>>
>> Certainly we would all benefit if X was rewritten, but I would hardly
>> call this *necessary* to making Linux more end user friendly.  That
>> can be accomplished with a decent window manager, widget set, app set,
>> etc.  These things are being worked on.
>>
>> Thad
>
>I don't see a way of going from the Mesa (OpenGL) API to a 3D
>accelerated video card while keeping the interface clean. (IMHO, one of

        Been there done that. OpenGL has been doing hardware
        acceleration since before the existence DirectX. It
        just hasn't been doing it much on Linux for lack of
        vendor support.

        There are currently at least 5 efforts underway to fix this.

        XiG,MetroLink,Xfree+SGI+Redhat+...,Scitech & Conix.

        As long as you support the protocol and any link time standard,
        you should be able to do whatever you like underneath. That's
        rather what an API standard is for.

        GLINT/MX support for MetroLink's effort is currently in beta.

>the biggest advantages of Unix/Linux over Windows is the ability to run
>an application on one box and the associated GUI on another box.  I'm
>not willing to give this up.)  I haven't checked the X interface in the
>last couple of versions, and I would be delighted if there were a clean
>way of doing this.

        It's called GLX and SGI recently released their version
        to the community.

>The biggest problem of course, is things like this, from ATI's website
>(http://support.atitech.ca/faq/unix.html):
>
>(begin quote)
>At this time, ATI has no intention of writing 3D Accelerated drivers for
>any UNIX Environment. We also have no intention of releasing the
>proprietary information required to implement a 3D driver.
>(end quote)
>
>In other words, we won't write drivers and we won't let you write
>drivers either!
>
>And this is from a company that is listed as a supporter of XFree86!

        The Video4Linux page has a rather nice no-ATI logo at the bottom.

        Whereas 3Dfx recently released the 2D specs for the Banshee
        available to anyone no NDA required not unlike the specs
        for the Brooktree 848 and company.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! how to install a HP722C Deskjet printer under Linux?
Date: 22 Mar 1999 15:41:37 -0500

"Ping-Ya Ko (¸¯¥­¨È)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a HP722C deskjet printer. I followed Redhat 5.1's local printer
> installation procedure and selected the "deskjet priter plus" driver. It
> didn't work. I couldn't get a print out from HP722C. Any comment on how to
> do it right or where to get a better driver will be appreciated.

Alas, the HP DeskJet 722C is not a PCL printer and is therefore poorly
supported under Linux; it only works in black and white.  See
http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/ for a driver.

FWIW, this information was available in the Printing HOWTO and its
printer compatibility listing*, and has been posted to Usenet nearly
every day for the past several months.  Please check the HOWTOs,
Dejanews, etc in the future before posting...

* http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
From: Andreas Eggenschwiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Mar 1999 21:51:36 +0000

"marc lindahl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , Andreas Eggenschwiler
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>
> >They are not supporting linux. They do support a company that without
> >hesitation signs NDAs in order to sell binary only kernel modules. They
> >do not release hardware specs but are not honest enough to openly state
> >their linux-hostile attitude. On the long run linux will die if there is
>
> If you read our Linux press release (http://www.sonorus.com/press.html), you
> will see we are very straightforward about our cooperation with OpenSound.

I have just reread my post and it clearly souds more hostile than I wanted
it to sound. I am a computer music guy and not a device driver hacker
(allthough this could change...) and I am frustrated with the current
state of serious sound support under linux. The biggest problem with sound
support under linux is that most newer soundcards are not properly documented
and that a lot of companies do not release the information that is necessary
for writing sound drivers. The situation reminds me of the SCSI and video
card situation two years before.

> We explored many possibilities before going with them, and we felt it was
> the best overall course.  If you had ever written drivers for something like
> this, you would know it's a large-scale, ongoing effort -- too big for a
> small company like Sonorus.  We have our hands full just dealing with
> Windows.  And, to answer the next point you're going to raise, we didn't
> release our source code, microcode, etc. simply because that's the
> technology that put us in business, we're not about to give it away for
> free.

Marc, nobody asks you from releasing your souce code or microcode. Please
check out http://alsa.jcu.cz/alsa/people/chris/call.html.

If you are really interested in an open linux driver for your cards, please
ask the people on the ALSA developpers mailing list
(http://alsa.jcu.cz/mail-lists.html) what they need. If you
have concerns about information that could reveal your trade secrets, they
could tell you what they need to know about your hardware and what not. They
will however not sign any agreement that prevents them from releasing their
source code.

If you could make an agreement with the ALSA people with which both sides
can live, your card would be the first modern professional sound card that
is really supported under linux (and there are purely technical an not
idealistical arguments why a card with binary only drivers will never be
really suported). I am sure I would not be the only one who would use this
as a very strong argument for buying your card.

--
Ciao
        Res

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Preferred Linux Hardware RAID stripe solution?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:42:52 GMT

I found a Mylex DAC960PGM Ultra Wide Raid Card, Single Channel, 8Mb Cache <a
href=http://www.buy.com/bc/noframes/product.asp?sku=906254&mscssid=DAAV7S3UTG
SH 2 NCN000CM9C9PXGJ64QF>here</a> for $518. You should look into the card
with a second Channel for the additional devices if you are concerned about
max performance

The Linux drivers and documentation are available at www.dandelion.com. They
are supposedly included in the newest 2.0.x and 2.2.x kernels , but you will
want to install the DAC aware disk utilities.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Armstrong)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 1542 CF formatting problem
Date: 22 Mar 1999 20:49:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thomas M. Regenbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Now when I try to install LINUX everything goes fine up to the point
>of running mkswap or mke2fs. Seems ok until writing inodes, where the
>system crashes (different symptoms: hangs silently; unexpected
>interrupt(s) [different]; sudden reboot,... just name it). This is
>true regardless of distribution (tried RH, Debian, Slackware, SuSE);
>even booting from disk and starting mke2fs in running Linux crashes.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas short of "dump your hw and go to the next
>shop"?

It could be scsi bus timing issues. mke2fs shoves a lot of data down
the tube very quickly + might show up timing problems that you don't
see otherwise (I'm guessing madly here btw.) You could try just having
one device on the bus + seeing if that helps.

sorry I can't be of more help :(

Phil

------------------------------

From: Tom Michiels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Advice on new system
Date: 22 Mar 1999 21:29:52 GMT

Hi,

I am finally getting rid of my old 486, and plan to buy a new machine.
I aim to build a stable Linux-box and I might use some advice.
I tried to gather some info on the web and from that, I was thinking of
buying the following components:

- Celeron 433A

  The kernel-compile-benchmarks of www.cpureview.com convinced me that
  even for large programs like gcc, the speed of the cache of a celeron
  compensates its size and the lower bus-clock of a PII350.

- ASUS P2B  or  ABIT BM6 (when I buy the socket370-version of the celeron)

  I am still not sure about the MB.  The socket370-version of the celeron
  seems to be much more available, en perhaps cheaper.  That is why I
  looked for a mb with a socket 370 and the BX chipset (ABIT BM6).  At
  the other hand the P2B seems to be the standard for high quality systems.

- DAWI DC 2976 scsi controller.

  Adaptec is much to expensive.  And I hear nobody complaining about the
  symbios based controllers.   Anybody?

- Quantum Viking II 9.1Gb

  I was convinced about the use of scsi-disks, after I did a small test
  on two identical PII400, 128meg, one with udma ide's one with scsi's.
  I compiled kernel 2.2.3. with the standard config-file in 9m3.232s on the
  first system, and in 4m16.987s on the second.  I know, there is more in
  the world than compiling kernels, but still...

- 256 MB ECC dims

  ECC is not much more expensive.

- Plextor 32x scsi

- Plextor rw 4/20

- Matrox Mill G200 8MB SGRAM

What do you think?  Am I doing something stupid?
Let me know!  Thank you!

Tom

------------------------------

From: "Leo de Mul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Fire PRO AGP is supported!
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:37:11 +0100

The Diamond Fire GL 1000 PRO AGP is supported under RedHat 5.2! And it is
working fine on my
Dell system. You have to upgrade some of the XFree86 files.

I've included a recap of the instructions to upgrade the rpm's below which I
received from RedHat.

Success.

Leo.

The first thing to do is to check:

http://charlotte.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/XFree86-upgrade/XFree86-upgrade
.html

That link is a detailed instructions on installing and upgrading Xfree86
3.3.3.x

The following is a nutshell version.

Upgrading 5.x to use Xfree86 3.3.3.

1) Figure out what Xfree packages you currently have installed.
   The easiest way to do this is run the command:

         rpm -qa | grep XFree86

2) Download the approriate rpms from:

    5.2) ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.2/i386/
    5.1) ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.1/i386/
    5.0) ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.0/i386/

   How to decide what rpms you need:
      You basically need the 3.3.3 version of any 3.3.2 rpms you have.
      This typically includes at least:
            XFree86-3.3.3
            XFree86-libs-3.3.3
            XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3
            XFree86-VGA16-3.3.2.3-25

            And usually the Xnest,Xvfb, and xfs packages:

            XFree86-Xvfb-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-Xnest-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-xfs-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

            Then whichever set of fonts you use (maybe both):

            XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

            And whatever Xserver you need,usually just
            one from the following list.

            XFree86-8514-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-AGX-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-I128-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-Mach32-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-Mach64-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-Mach8-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-Mono-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-P9000-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-S3-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-S3V-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
            XFree86-W32-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

            If you didnt have a working X server before, check out:

                    http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

            To see if one of the new servers supports your card.

    This is particular useful for people with G100/G200, SiS 5597/98 +
    6326, Trident 975AGP, NeoMagic, more Mach64 chipsets, C&T 69000,
    Riva TNT, EPSON SPC8110, Linux vesafb.

    Note: If you are using the fvwm2 window manager, you need to update it
    too. It is available at the same place as the rpms above:
                    fvwm2-2.0.46-12.i386.rpm
                    fvwm2-icons-2.0.46-12.i386.rpm

3) Install the rpms
   All the rpms can be installed with the rpm command at once.
   The easiest thing to do is to create an directory and copy all the rpms
     there.

   The first thing you should do is to exit X if you are already running
   X. It's not really required, but it might eliminate some possible
   problems.

   Log in as root, then try the following commands. This is assuimg you
   are in the directory you downloaded the rpms into.

                    mkdir /tmp/xfree
                    cp XFree*.rpm /tmp/xfree

                    (if you use fvwm2)
                    cp fvwm2*.rpm /tmp/xfree

                    cd /tmp/xfree
                    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

                    (this will take a while)

4) Configure the new version if need be.
   If you are isntalling 3.3.3 to get a driver for an unsupported card,
   you make need to run:

                    Xconfigurator

   To set it up, but note that this may not setup all the  new video cards
   that have servers now. If this is the case for your video card, try:

                    xf86config
   or
                    XF86Setup

   (you may need to download the rpm for the upgraded setup and
    Xconfigurator as well.)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:33:13 GMT

Bob Gudgel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:12:00 -0500, "marc lindahl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:

: >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , Andreas Eggenschwiler
: ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
: >
[...]

: Well then, why not just document  the arhitecture and the Linux people
: can write their own drivers.

because hardware folks think that defining the CSRs and calling protocol 'give
the store away'.  I think they give everyone else too much credit - by the
time someone reverse engineers your CHIP, the tech will have changed enough to
keep the competitive advantage.  but many companies feel the way they do and
there's no trying to change their minds; so they wont even document enough to
write a driver.  and we in the linux crowd suffer ;-(

I bought this card (the sonorus studio) with the clear understanding that it
would support linux to the FULL set of features in a short period of time
(less than a year, for sure).  I've been waiting over a year now and linux
support is dismal, at best, on this card.  and the OSS folks don't seem to
want to spend ANY serious time on it.  so stereo 'sort of' works (according
to their release notes) and multi-channel support is too far away to even hope
for.  so at this point, I have a functionless card that I paid a lot of money
for.  and having to step down to 'doze to do my multichannel work isn't what I
bought a sonorus card for...

I've spoken both with sonorus and OSS.  neither have any good reasons for why the
effort is stalled.

------------------------------

From: "Leo de Mul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: boot linux out of an eprom
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:38:43 +0100

Louis,

Take a look at the smalllinux project (http://smalllinux.netpedia.net)

Regards,
Leo.

Louis heeft geschreven in bericht <7d61qe$35p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH5.2, SoundBlaster and mpg123
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:54:12 GMT

Hello everyone,

At work I have a Pentium 160 (not MMX) and I'm using RH5.2.
I installed an old 8-bit SoundBlaster card (ISA) in this machine
and got it working using 'sndconfig'. It works fine with
'soxplay' (.au files) and 'xplaycd'.
But when I try to play
.mp3 files using mpg123 (which I downloaded as an RPM from
linuxberg) I do not get any error messages, but the sound
is completely scrambled (it is not static, but literaly
sounds like scrambled communication - lot of intermittent
hi-pitch sounds and no music content). The same files work
fine at home (Pentium200MMX+RH5.2+Ensoniq AudioPCI).
Does mpg123 support 8-bit play-back? or is it something
to do with the sound driver (currently installed as module)?
Many thanks.

-Thas

From: "Leo de Mul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on 386 system
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:40:01 +0100

Take a look at the smalllinux project (http://smalllinux.netpedia.net)

Regards,
Leo.

Freddyman heeft geschreven in bericht ...
>Hi, I have a 386 system with 4 MB mem and 60 HD and I was wondering if
there
>are (small) versions of linux I could install on this machine. It's an IBM
>transportable (It's old, they could it transportable back then...)
>TIA
>
>Frederik
>
>BTW I am totally new in Linux, I've never used or installed it in my
life!!!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:37:15 GMT

Sam E. Trenholme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >Well then, why not just document  the arhitecture and the Linux people
: >can write their own drivers.

: Hmmm....I wonder how much time that would take?

: My experience is that these kinds of issues are usually resolved in one of
: the following ways:

: * Someone manages to reverse-engineer the device in question.  Example:
:   The parallel port zip drive

: * An agreement is made between the Linux developers and the company.
:   Examples: The agreement RedHat made to get a Neomagic X Server, the
:   agreeements XFree made to get Diamond specs

: If you read the entire thread, it sounds like the Sonorus is open to the
: idea of making an agreement with a developer.  Now all we need is for a
: Linux developer to come forward.

I volunteered my services (even for free) and they declined.  they wanted to
work with the current (OSS) company first before abandoning ship.  I kinda
don't blame them, but from my point, ths OSS thing just didn't have the right
kind of motivation as a hungry pro-audio-oriented end-user would be.  so my
offer was open (when I had oodles of time to devote to this) but now at my new
day job, I don't have that kind of time to offer anymore.  not that it would
really matter, mind you..

------------------------------

From: "Fam. Nieuwenhuis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:02:08 +0100

Hi Linux World,

I'm brand new to Linux and I'm struggling with Redhat 5.2 at the moment. I
own a IBM Aptiva with a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI card in it which I
can't get to work. I've tried some suggestions from this newsgroup already
but unfortunately without success. All I do is installing Linux from
scratch, skipping the network set-up. When Linux is running I do a "insmod
tlan" at the prompt. Then "netconf" at the prompt to configure the device
(eth0) and to specify my IP settings. After I "activate changes" I expect my
network adapter to get activated but this doesn't happen. During shutdown a
message "unknown device eth0" appears. Does anyone know what's going wrong
here? I could use some help.

Cheers,

Erik Nieuwenhuis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Date: 22 Mar 1999 16:59:32 -0500

In article <lswJ2.6$EM4.322@amsnews>, Freddyman wrote:
>Hi, I have a 386 system with 4 MB mem and 60 HD and I was wondering if there
>are (small) versions of linux I could install on this machine. It's an IBM
>transportable (It's old, they could it transportable back then...)

Hi,
I was running Linux on this configuration... X is too slow to even
try; if you do not install X, then you'd fit some basic things into
40MB (you need a swap partition of let us say 16MB).
I was running standard Debian on this system; there are special
considerations for low-memory installations.

Truly, you will be MUCH HAPPIER if you can afford to spend about
$200: this can buy you a super 7 motherboard, K6-2 300, and 64MB
of ECC PC100 memory. (If you shop with PriceWatch.com, of course.)
You'd also need another hundred for a good hard drive.
Such a system compiles 2.0.XX kernel in 3min compared with 12 or
something hours on 386 with 4MB.
Do not forget to overclock your CPU to 350MHz.

For more help, try
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

Cheers,
Andrew

From: "Josh Meekhof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xerox XJ8C
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:41:49 -0600

has anyone found drivers for this printer and linux?

Josh
Linux newbie