From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Needed!!! Please...
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 02:59:00 GMT

T Pardy wrote:

> I want to install Redhat Linux 7.0...
> I am new to Linux, and have never tried it. I downloaded the ISO from Redhat
> and burned it to a CDR.
> I start my PC and it boots from the Redhat CD I created. It asks me to
> choose keyboard, mouse, etc., then I continue and choose a workstation
> installation then choose OK. This is where I get the error saying there is
> no device to install to.
> I have a Abit BE6-II board with the onboard HPT366 UDMA66 controller. My
> hard disk is a WD 20.5 GB UDMA66 drive with two DOS partitions and one Linux
> partition which I created with PartitionMagic. The harddisk is connected to
> the primary HPT366 controller. My CDRW is connected to the Primary Master
> IDE, and my CDROM is connected to the Secondary Master IDE. I looked on the
> Highpoint Tech(hpt366) website for support but only found some kind of patch
> with no instructions for installing. So it appears as if the Redhat
> installer don't even know that my HardDisk exists. If there is anyone who
> can help please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Also, I have no
> experience with Linux/Unix.
>
> Thanks

Do you currently have a version of Linux running on your system?  If so, what
Kernel version?  Not the distribution!

The Linux Kernel v. 2.16 with the ide patch will support the HPT366 chip set.
I do not know what Red Hat is supplying with RH 7 or if it has the ide patch.

If it doesn't come with the ide patch, you will have to down load the clean
Kernel code for 2.2.16 or 2.2.17 and the ide patch from kernel.org and build it
yourself.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:06:21 -0800

And Jerry L Kreps,,, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>I think the main reason why windows is 'easy' to use is that on
>standalones, in effect, eveyone runs as root!

        In Windows, I thought it was the operating system that ran as root.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:06:22 -0800

And "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere

: On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by bypassing the
: normal init and getty & login processes and starting your processes
: separately from then onwards, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.

        ROTate13 characters: A=M, B=N, C=O, D=P, E=Q, F=R, G=S, etc.  Looks
like GnuEmacs:

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:18:35 GMT

T Pardy wrote:

> I want to install Redhat Linux 7.0...
> I am new to Linux, and have never tried it. I downloaded the ISO from Redhat
> and burned it to a CDR.
> I start my PC and it boots from the Redhat CD I created. It asks me to
> choose keyboard, mouse, etc., then I continue and choose a workstation
> installation then choose OK. This is where I get the error saying there is
> no device to install to.
> I have a Abit BE6-II board with the onboard HPT366 UDMA66 controller. My
> hard disk is a WD 20.5 GB UDMA66 drive with two DOS partitions and one Linux
> partition which I created with PartitionMagic. The harddisk is connected to
> the primary HPT366 controller. My CDRW is connected to the Primary Master
> IDE, and my CDROM is connected to the Secondary Master IDE. I looked on the
> Highpoint Tech(hpt366) website for support but only found some kind of patch
> with no instructions for installing. So it appears as if the Redhat
> installer don't even know that my HardDisk exists. If there is anyone who
> can help please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Also, I have no
> experience with Linux/Unix.
>
> Thanks

Do you currently have a version of Linux running on your system?  If so,
what
Kernel version?  Not the distribution!

The Linux Kernel v. 2.16 with the ide patch will support the HPT366 chip
set.
Red Hat is supplying the 2.2.16 Kernel with RH 7, but I do not know if
it has the ide patch.

If it doesn't come with the ide patch, you will have to down load the
clean
Kernel code for 2.2.16 from kernel.org, apply the ide patch and build
it.

The patch:

ide.2.2.16.all.20000825.patch.bz2

is located at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.16.all/

There are instructions on how to get the install to work without the
patch applied in the Ultra-DMA HOWTO:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html

See section 5.1

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ati rage 128 pro
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:20:53 GMT

Junaid Babar wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been reading that linux support for the ATI Rage 128 Pro is finally
> available. Could someone please point out which vendor provides the
> requisite support.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Junaid
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It comes with XFree86 v. 4.0.1.  The driver is called "r128".

see their website:

 http://www.xfree86.org/

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internal modem trouble
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:26:18 GMT

Kathryn Hargreaves wrote:

> Hi, I'm having trouble getting an internal modem to work.
> It's on ttyS1 and when I connect to it with minicom, it sits
> there for half a minute or so, then echoes the init string back
> in bursts of maybe 16 chars (it looks like about 16 but I didn't
> count to be exact).  I can type commands like ATDT2345... and
> they get processed and echo back a long while (several seconds)
> later.  Needless to say, using the modem for ppp (the intended use)
> is pretty much hopeless.
>
> Any idea what might be going on?  I suspect the kernel is somehow
> not receiving the ttyS1 interrupts (irq 3) but is somehow noticing
> much later that chars are available there.  But that's just a wild
> guess.  The kernel does seem to detect ttyS1 normally in the boot
> messages.
>
> No, it's not a Winmodem. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy

Is this a PCI modem?  If so, I doubt that the Kernel's serial driver
knows where it is.

Try (as root): "setserial  /dev/ttyS1" and see what it says.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing wi/ Canon BJC-1000
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:34:30 GMT

Nathan Weston wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck printing with a Canon BJC-1000 under linux?  I have
> gone through linuxprinting.org and supposedly you can get some output from
> it, but I can't get it to print anything (not even junk).
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

Did you tell your print filter that you had a BJC-600?

What distribution do you have and/or what print filter do you have?

Did you run "gs -h" to see if you have gsdevice "bjc600?

Have you tried printing test pages from your print filter?

What application are you using?  Have you chosen a native PostScript printer
in it?

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound and mouse probs in RH 6.2
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:41:57 GMT

Dave Clark wrote:

>         I am running Redhat 6.2 and using a SoundBlaster 128 PCI card
> AKA  Ensoniq 1370 in my Athlon 650 machine.  The sound driver
> installed by sndconfig seems to be working but whenever I play any
> sound it will cause the mouse to go out of control and lock up over at
> the corner of the screen. I have to restart X to get control of the mouse
> back.  Additionally The sound file occasionally is muted out and a beeping
> noise comes comes from the speaker.  I am just wondering if anyone else has
> seen this happen and knows how to fix it.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Dave Clark
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What mouse do you have?  What version of X?

In any case, look at your XF86Config file and see if the mouse is set up
correctly.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux bombs...
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:52:35 GMT

Default User wrote:

> After trying quite a few hours installing the "standard" version I'm about
> to throw in the towel. ( Six re-installs on a dedicated 5 gig HDD).
>
> When the KDE GUI is loaded in "safe mode"  the *** f#$%^ng keyboard ****gets
> lost. Occasionally I can get it to work after an install by hitting a button
> repeatedly (Cap locks) to force an interrupt.
>
> The short list of video-cards supported in Corel Linux are card that were
> really awesome 5 years ago.
> None of the popular game cards are included. Nothing from Nvidia including
> my GeForce DDR in included.
>
> My ISA -PNP NIC is not recognized 3C509B-TPO.
>
> My MX-300 / Aureal2 soundcard is not recognized. ( I have a Linux driver,
> not installed yet)
>
> USB, are you kidding?
>
> Scroll-mouse USB, yeah right.
>
> My Adaptec AVA2906 SCSI card with the 7850 chip seems to be recognized. It
> can read my Yamaha SCSI burner. I doubt there's any CD-RW software for
> Linux.
>
> My Promise ATA-66 card comes up as a "megaraid" or something, I have the
> Promise's drivers for it, haven't tried them yet.
>
> The Nvidia Web-site has a mega "FAQ" about installing the right tar.gz and
> .rpm also provides SOME of the files needed to install.
> http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf  (NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-5.src.rpm,
> where?)
> http://www.nvidia.com/Products/OpenLinuxDwn.nsf/xfree86_40bld095FAQ
>
> The Corel home websites Knowledge base "readme" about video card install has
> instructions that do not work. Typing in "XF86Setup" then Enter, results in
> nothing. (logged into commandline as "root").
> http://kb.corel.com/kbdocs/UNKNOWN/CL10ENG0/CL10ENG0_201590.htm
>
> This little experiment shows me that the "free" operating system is a
> flash-back to win 3.1.
>
> All you "Microsoft haters" out there, Microsoft ain't THIS bad. Crappy
> application can bring the OS down, lack of QC and standardization may be
> responsible for this.
>
> Even if I could get all this shit to work would it be worth it? Will my game
> frame-rates be higher? How many hours do I have to waste on FAQ and readme's
> before I can get a basic word-application up and running?
>
> If the Corel Linux installer guesses wrong on your hardware you end up with
> a mess to de-tangle. No user intervention on hardware selection is present.
>
> If Corel, Sun, IBM, Netscape and the Anti-MS gang want to provide an
> alternative OS they better try harder.

You are having installation problems.  I have heard rumors of people having
problems installing MS Windows.  But, anyway .......

If you get nothing when you try to run XF86Setup, there is something that is
not installed

Which X version have you installed?  That is: 3.x or 4.x?

In any case, try the command xf86config and see if this will work.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Phil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for driver
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 04:30:11 -0000

Can anyone point me to a driver for the Xircom 10/100 pcmcia?

Thanks.
-Phil

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux sound
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 04:30:08 -0000

I have a isa slot sound card does it work with linux?

Date: 30 Oct 2000 0:57:3 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Albert A;

 AAA> Valentin Guillen wrote:
>>
>> Albert,
>>
>> This particular customer of yours is beyond wanting technical support.

 AAA> He's not my customer. He is, technically, his dealer's customer. And
 AAA> even if he were a customer of S3/DMM (S3 / Diamond MultiMedia), he would
 AAA> still not be a customer of mine, because though I do work _for_ S3/DMM,
 AAA> I am not S3/DMM. Those technicalities aside, yes, I do get your point.

>> Then, you make the mistake of assuming that CCing the company has as
>> it's purpose enraging the company.  Au contraire, the purpose is rather to
>> get their attention to the fact that there's a glaring deficiency in that
>> customer's ability to successfully utilize the product for it's intended
>> purpose.  Granted, some at your company WILL be foolish enough to
>> misconstrue the purpose, but that's strictly a character flaw in that
>> individual.

 AAA> You misunderstood me. It's quite obviously not his (primary?) goal to
 AAA> piss the company or the support crew off, but inadvertently he will do
 AAA> so. Screaming and shouting is not the way to get what you want. If I got
 AAA> an email in the tone this person's message displayed, I would be in no
 AAA> way obliged to reply or do anything at all about it. Likely, I would
 AAA> move it straight to /dev/null.

Which is, to me, a selfish thought, and not in the least convincing an
indicator of how much of a 'company man' you are.

I'm the CE at a tv station, in that position for too long at 16 years, I
should retire.  But if such an email were to be received from one of our
viewers, I guarantee you that I would attempt to contact that individual
and resolve his problems in addition to replying with as much in the way
of suggestions as the clues I was given allowed me to deduce.  And FWIW,
a copy of both his message, and my reply are put 2 other places.  The
first one for legal reasons, goes into our public file, a file the FCC
requires us to maintain, and which is available for *anyone* to see for
the asking.  The second copy goes on the GM's desk so that he knows 2
things, one that there is a problem, and two, that I'm doing something
about it if its within my power to do so.

I'll not waste the bandwidth on the rest of this by quoting it all.
[...]
 AAA> We, the support crew, are the contact between the customers and the
 AAA> manufacturers. We can get things rolling for them, we can get them what
 AAA> they want, or at least get them on the road towards getting what they
 AAA> want. Insulting us, offending us, or otherwise pissing us off is a
 AAA> surefire way to NOT get what you want.

 AAA> If a customer on the phone starts shouting or swearing and will not calm
 AAA> down, we are allowed to drop the call - together with sexual
 AAA> harrassment, those are the only exceptions to the rule of never EVER
 AAA> hanging up on a customer. Actually, hanging up on a customer in any
 AAA> other circumstance is a surefire way to get your ass fired. Customers by
 AAA> Email are treated in exactly the same way.

IMO if you are not allowed to actually help the customer, he will see
that in the first couple of your replies, we/they/them aren't trained
robots, we can tell when the bs is no more than a passing of the buck.

The makers should understand that support is a 2 way street, and info
about there product should flow both ways.

And most of us, in that situation, having been rebuffed, will do exactly
as the gentleman who started this thread.  We/they/us will take it to
the rooftops and do as much damage as we can to protect the next poor
sucker looking for a whatever card for his machine.

Your manufacturer/supplier may think this is a sellers market and they
can do as they please.  It doesn't play at all well out here in Peoria
where its a buyers market.

As I said before, have your PTB call TPTB at Creative, and then decide
just how proprietary your 'software' must be.  If their somewhat less
than a year old change of heart hasn't garnered them at least a million
in sales since then, I'm a very poor judge of the market.  Its certainly
sufficient to pay the programmers salaries, or it would have been shut
down or staffing reduced and updates curtailed in frequency by now.
I've not noticed that to be visibly occuring.

>> Tell me, just so that I know where you're comming from:  Why would CCing
>> all these people "piss them off"?  Wouldn't everyone in this company desire
>> to know the type of performance their products are rendering to the public?

 AAA> Yes, our employers desire to know all that. But they don't like being
 AAA> shouted at.

>From what I read between the lines, he may have tried that, and couldn't
get past the phone answering hacks to someone who might have 35 cents to
call someone who actually gives a damn.  I've had to 'lose my temper'
too many times just to get past such people and talk to someone who
actually has the power to do something.  The phone repair service is a
good example, you usually have to bump upwards about 2 supervisors worth
before you find someone whose IQ is more than the eyelet count in their
tennies, and 2 more to get to someone who actually knows what you're
talking about.  The poor phone ops usually don't even have a line in
their computer screens form for the problem you are having!

If that users email thread, and a copy of this thread placed on your
supervisors desk would get *you* in trouble, then I personally would
have resume's out by the ream, you don't want to work for a company with
that attitude.  Lifes too damned short and frustrating as it is, without
compounding the situation needlessly.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Linux-compatible hardware
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:05:08 GMT

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:27:28 +1100, Barry Kirsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Mark,
>Thanks for your reply. My computer consists of  an AMD X6-2 266 with 96 MB SDRAM
>and Quantum Fireball 1.2 GB and IBM 20 GB hard drives. My graphics card is an S3
>Virge, and soundcard is a Soundblaster SB16. Connected to all of this are an
>Epson Stylus Photo EX printer and a Canon Canoscan 600 scanner. I also have an
>Iomega Zip drive connected through the parallel port (with the printer).

Barry,

As Jason indicated, apart from the scanner, everything looks pretty
ordinary.  Scanners are _always_ suspect in Linux, but the SANE group seems
to do a pretty good job of dealing with them.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.