Linux-Hardware Digest #853, Volume #9            Sat, 27 Mar 99 17:13:25 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux on a Mac Powerbook from the stone ages? ("steverandy")
  DLT tape drive documentation or HOWTO? (Bill Rausch)
  Info on smaller implementations of linux. (Roger Stott)
  Re: Diamond viper 550 drivers (Wiley Wimberly)
  TNT support ("Wayne")
  Re: LT Winmodem? (david parsons)
  Re: Trying to Config a Turtle Beach Montego A3D Card ("Spud")
  Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config,  (wg)
  Re: Linux, SCSI, RAID0 performance (Thomas Dorris)
  Modem Diamond Multimedia Supra PCI 56i - winmodem or not? ("Krzysztof Kajkowski")
  Re: LT Winmodem? (DrBoom)
  Re: Can't see the entire hard disk!! Please help.. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: error trying to edit kernel ("Jay R. Rohrssen")
  Re: Linux on proliant 2000 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems? (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems? (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: How to configure Matrox MGA-G100 display ("Jay R. Rohrssen")
  Re: Newbie: Compaq SystemPro questions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems? (David Kirkpatrick)
  isdn ("MB")

From: "steverandy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Mac Powerbook from the stone ages?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:14:12 GMT

Okay, for anyone whose interest I piqued, I might have found the closest
thing to an answer I'll get.

http://www.linuxppc.com/

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

thanx

steven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Rausch)
Subject: DLT tape drive documentation or HOWTO?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:10:40 -0800

Hi all,

I'd like to move a DLT-4500 (5 tape autoloader system) from an HP-UX
system to my LINUX box. Has anyone done this? Is there documentation,
tips, howto, etc. available online anywhere?

I've not previously hooked any tape drive to LINUX so I'd appreciate any
pointers.

My system is a P-166 with two SCSI hard drives, IDE CD-ROM, and of course,
the SCSI tape system I'd like to add.  The OS is a pretty vanilla RedHat
5.2 installation.

Thanks,  Bill

--
Bill Rausch
bill at numerical dot com

------------------------------

Subject: Info on smaller implementations of linux.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Stott)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:28:00 GMT

Hi,
I am interested in getting started with linux, but not in a position to
outlay $$ on hardware just now.

Is there any implementation that will run on limited hardware resources,
so that I can start playing with it - linux trainer wheels perhaps :-)

I have an Acer notebook Anywhere v486s, 25MHz I think with a massive 120Mb
drive - the largest optional drive I could get at the time.  And a zip+
scsi/parallel drive.

I access the net with a unix shell a/c.

Any help appreciated,
Roger
  _--_|\  -----------------------------------------------------
 /      \     Roger Stott        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 \_.--._/<--- Kurrajong  NSW    I can't check news frequently.
       v  ____Australia____________ Please reply by email. ____

------------------------------

From: Wiley Wimberly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond viper 550 drivers
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:33:58 GMT

Check out http://www.xfree86.org and get the newest version. It has support for
the Viper 550.  Mine works great except for no Mesa support :-( Maybe soon!

Wiley

--
Wiley C. Wimberly, Jr.

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://www.wimberly.org

------------------------------

From: "Wayne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TNT support
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:00:17 -0600

Hi,
I'm sure this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I didn't find
anything browsing through the headers on this newsgroup that appeared to
address it.  Does Redhat 5.2 support the TNT chip?  I am thinking about
upgrading to a AGP card now that I built a new Celeron 300a system with AGP
support.  I am currently using an S3 -Virge and a Voodoo 2 card.

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: LT Winmodem?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 12:02:25 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ken Witherow  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Benjamin Smith wrote:

>> OK. I am one of those CHEAP! manufacturers. I run a computer store called
>> "Computers Cheap!", so I guess that would be obvious.
  .
  .
>> However, winmodems provide a cheap, viable alternative that can sweeten the
>> ever-slimming bottom line.
>
>Yes. Squeeze that extra $8.

  The margins on low-end computers are terrifyingly low;  I build
  computers as a sideline, and I don't even bid on Windows machines
  anymore because of the pricing.  If I *did*, saving $8 on the price of
  components would be the difference between making $10 profit on a
  hours work and $2.

>Hell, tell them they'll need that PII-450
>Xeon with the 2mb cache to help keep there modem connection.

  Nope, a cheapo socket 370 celerium (just what is the model number on
  that chip, anyways?) gives more than enough horsepower, even under
  Windows (modulo, of course, Windows 98, which seems to be pretty much
  unrunnable on anything smaller than an Intel 8052x) to run a DSP
  modem.   Unfortunately Linux is becoming really popular these days, so
  any cheap PC that I'd sell for Windows would run the risk of being
  converted into a Linux box, where the modem in question won't work
  until Lucent writes drivers for it.

  When those drivers come out, it will be interesting to do a head to
  head comparison of a DSP modem vs. an intelligent modem under a real
  operating system.   Rejecting DSP modems based solely under their
  performance on Windows is like rejecting IDE because PIO is
  computationally expensive.

                ____
  david parsons \bi/ A DSP modem will probably be as computationally
                 \/  expensive as a SSH daemon, and Unix seems to be
                              able to struggle along under that load.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Trying to Config a Turtle Beach Montego A3D Card
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:28:21 GMT

    Unless you pull some strings at Turtle Beach, it ain't gonna happen
soon. There is currently no linux driver available for this card (i have it
too). However, OSS (www.opensound.com) is working on a beta version of the
driver right now.

------------------------------

From: wg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config,
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:38:11 GMT

Anyone here know how to configure an ATI
All-in-Wonder 8MB card for Linux Red Hat 5.2  ?

I have tried several settings but no success yet
in getting it to work using startx afterwords.

I do get a windows screen but I can only see the
bottom left corner of the taskbar and I know that
several windows are working.

Mouse doesn't seem to work properly, I have a MS
Wheel Mouse and I selected the MS Intellimouse.
 but I didn't select 3 button support.

Any help appreciated.

wg

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dorris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, SCSI, RAID0 performance
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:53:14 +0000

Eoin wrote:

> The difference between UW and U2W SCSI is the bus frequency.

Yeah, but my drives are just Ultra2, not Ultra2Wide...  That's why I'm
confused.  Ultra2 is supposed to be an 8 bit data path running at
40mhz.  Since my card only supports UltraWide (16-bit path at 20mhz), I
expected to see the least common denominator of the bunch.  Which would
have been an 8-bit data path (limited by the drives) and a 20mhz
frequency (limited by the controller).  What was reported, however, was
a 16-bit datapath at 20mhz.  So it seems my 8-bit Ultra2 drives are
running with a 16-bit UltraWide word size.  I just wasn't expecting that
(although, I'm not complaining).

> There will be very high CPU utilization when running software
> RAID.

Yes, this I expected.  I did not expect to see the high CPU usage during
my single drive, non-RAID tests though.  I saw 50% CPU utilization on
blocked IO.  That's right around what I was seeing with my EIDE drives
with bus mastering enabled...  Ugh.  Throughput kicks IDE's butt (12.5
meg/sec versus 9 meg/sec), but CPU utilization was about the same.  I
was a bit surprised by that too.

Thanks for the response.

ThomasD

------------------------------

From: "Krzysztof Kajkowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Diamond Multimedia Supra PCI 56i - winmodem or not?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 05:08:00 GMT

Hello!

  I tried to make that modem running under Linux. I tried playing with
setserial - I made proper settings but it didn't help. I have no idea what
to do now. Maybe it is a winmodem - I really need to talk with someone who
knows something about it!

P.S. Can you put in Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - I don't want to miss answear,
THX!

--
Cayco and cayc0 are
registered trademarks

------------------------------

From: DrBoom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:57:07 GMT

david parsons wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ken Witherow  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Benjamin Smith wrote:
>
> >> OK. I am one of those CHEAP! manufacturers. I run a computer store called
> >> "Computers Cheap!", so I guess that would be obvious.
>   .
>   .
> >> However, winmodems provide a cheap, viable alternative that can sweeten the
> >> ever-slimming bottom line.
> >
> >Yes. Squeeze that extra $8.
>
>   The margins on low-end computers are terrifyingly low;  I build
>   computers as a sideline, and I don't even bid on Windows machines
>   anymore because of the pricing.  If I *did*, saving $8 on the price of
>   components would be the difference between making $10 profit on a
>   hours work and $2.

You'd be amazed what people will pay. I buy stuff retail (though
discounted because I schmooze salescritters) and charge a fixed 15% of
the total cost of the hardware and software as a service & setup fee. My
proposals show the item cost and source for each machine, and I often
encourage them to go buy it themselves from the dealer to save
themselves the service fee. So far, nobody has done so.

I end up making about $25-30/hour building a Wintendo box, the customer
doesn't have to deal with salescritters, the salescritters don't have to
answer the same questions they've heard 10^10 times, and the end result
is a good, solid machine with quality components -- everybody wins.

Just my 15% ;-)
-j

[snip]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't see the entire hard disk!! Please help..
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:25:43 GMT

Hi

Use Disk Druid you will be able to see complete size of your hard disk. But
you can make only 8gb of it as installable. Remaining space u can use for usr
and other stuff.

Regarding the LI problem select the "Use linear mode" at the end of
installation. This will solve the problem.

Regards

From: "Jay R. Rohrssen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error trying to edit kernel
Date: 27 Mar 1999 15:15:05 -0600

check your directory  you should be in /usr/src/linux  if you are not you
will get the error you described.  Hope this works for you.

Jay R. Rohrssen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on proliant 2000
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:04:27 GMT

In article <1103_920393440@cyclon>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (riwiel) wrote:
> Is there anybody who ever tried to install linux on a compaq proliant 2000 ?
> We are trying to get it installed but the scsi raid controller can't be found.
> It say's scsi found 0. We also tried extra parameters at the boot prompt after
> starting with a bbootdisk but with no result.
> The controller has a ncr53c875 ic on it. We have most recent stable kernels
> from RH, Debian, Suse and Slackware.

Yes I did last night, but I've the Same problem on my Dual-Processor P66
Proliant-2000 with a NCR53c710 SCSI Controller (onboard, but a dif. then you
have?!) And no detection at all, even when I manualy choose the driver! I'm
using Redhat-5.2 Tonight I'm going to test an extra (adaptec 1742-Eisa)
controller to see if that works, I'll keep you posted.

P.S.: What kind of settings did you choose in the compaq system-config at the
option of operating system?

Greetings,

Paul van Voorst, The Netherlands

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:16:52 +0000

   If you are serious - what is your volume?
David Kirkpatrick
Marlborough, MA

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:20:13 +0000

http://www.cyber-comp-tech.com is selling configured/unconfigured Linux
systems with support, burned in if desired.

From: "Jay R. Rohrssen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure Matrox MGA-G100 display
Date: 27 Mar 1999 15:20:19 -0600

you must get the correct drivers, i think SuSe has them.  If not, a friend
of mine was able to buy them from a site on the web, but, unfortunately I
dont have the url.  If i can get it from him, I'll post it later.

Jay R. Rohrssen

news:7cjr51$fgl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie: Compaq SystemPro questions
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:12:29 GMT

In article <Bm4L2.43103$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> mine had the conner CP30544 drives in it (540 meg) x 8
>
> I think I will use the drives and the CPU and toss the rest.

Here's a reminder: These drives are Compaq-IDA drives! These are specialy
modifacated IDE drives and they only work on Compaq IDA controllers! A good
idea of keeping them, maybe you can sell it to someone desperate needing them
for replacement!

Paul van Voorst

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:26:33 +0000

ALSO, the prices are extreamly reasonable.  Something like:
Tower 235 w ps
32 m pc-100 sdram
flop, cd, hd 4.3 g
4mb video
sound, modem, mouse, kbd, speakers
Linux installed, 400 mhz AMD $750

From: "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isdn
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:06:56 +0100

did anyone get EICON DIVA isdn card to work under linux???
Where can i find information about isdn under linux (not the official HOWTO)