Linux-Hardware Digest #889, Volume #9            Wed, 31 Mar 99 20:13:37 EST

Contents:
  Re: Using make menuconfig (Rick Runowski)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  new raidzone product experience? (Derald Metzger)
  unable to use my floppy under Linux Suze 6.0
  Re: Guillemot HSP64 (Help me please!!!) (Leland Olds)
  Best camera for linux? ("David Murray")
  Re: BT848 and bt 878 TV cards support in Linux (John Cavan)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Does IDE bus mastering benefit multitasking like SCSI? (Sandeep K Shandilya)
  Interesting correspondence with Aureal's VP of Marketing. (William O'Neal)
  Re: APC Smart UPS under Linux - Setup ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The Kyle is a Fink!  Was: Re: XF86 and ThinkPad 560 (Rebecca McQuitty)
  hardware and slackwae (Charles Brands)
  Linux and Radio Plus Zoltrix Card (Luis Gallego Fernandez)
  Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux (taniwha)
  Re: Horror story with a VIA chipset (Big Mike)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (jedi)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Don Baccus)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (jedi)
  the same old question: linux on a 368er notebook with low ram ("Daniel Baechli")

From: Rick Runowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Using make menuconfig
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:08:15 -0600

Ok, now I have my system all kinds of FUBAR.  I found the as86 prog off
the internet and finally got the make bzImage work... now when I placed
the bzImage into the boot directory and vi lilo.conf then ran lilo.
Rebooted and chose my newlinux kernal and my computer rebooted. After a
few explertives I rebooted to find I can no longer use my ppp connection
or my network card through the xwindows, It just sits there... no dial
tone or anything?  Anyone know what I did this time?

thanks ahead of time..

Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:21:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Markus Laun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Some of us older 'hacks' wrote multiuser apps on 4 megs of ram and 20
: megs of disk serving 30+ users....  A lot of this Old (but working code)
: is still in use today.

Some of us started on PDP-8s with 16K of memory. Of course, we could only
timeshare 20 users.

: Why?

: We never expected our stuff to last so long (Y2K). Maybe the new
: generation of programmers is so full of bloatware ideas that they are
: not capable of writing SW that will reliably get the job done. So us
: poor old coyboys have get our creaking bones back into the saddle and do
: some more engineering done cause the young-uns don't know how....

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Derald Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new raidzone product experience?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:57:11 +0000

==============A6A1A57E7BEDB27E89A418A2

Does anyone have any experience with Consensys raidzone product using
one ide controller per disk on bridged pci busses? The price and specs
look good. Their sales contact failed to give me any customers
references.

--
Derald Metzger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============A6A1A57E7BEDB27E89A418A2

Does anyone have any experience with Consensys raidzone product using one
ide controller per disk on bridged pci busses? The price and specs look
good. Their sales contact failed to give me any customers references.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Derald Metzger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unable to use my floppy under Linux Suze 6.0
Date: 31 Mar 1999 22:32:07 GMT

I have installed Linux SUze 6.0 and I tried to mount a MSDOS diskette using
the command  mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy
but I got the message: wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0
or too many mounted systems.

with mdir I got  can't open /dev/fd0  Device is not configured Cannot
initialize A:

I then used fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
formatting was OK but when verifying I got the message:
Verifying-Read: Input/Output error
Problem reading cylinder 0 expected 18432 read -1
I tried with several other diskettes but the result was always the same!
Thanks for your help
Jacky

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leland Olds)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Guillemot HSP64 (Help me please!!!)
Date: 30 Mar 1999 16:43:41 GMT

Xarj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>One last thing! I tried to setup my Sound card in Linux without success.....
>I use the Guillemot Home Studio Pro 64, a sound card for pros and
>musicians..... Works great in windows 98!!!!!!!!!
>
>Thanks for the help!!!!

Check out the sam9407 development page.

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-sam9407/

The HSP uses the sam9407, but I don't know how well this driver works
with the HSP.

Guillemot isn't being at all cooperative with the Linux sam9407 driver
developers.

You might send Guillemot a polite note encouraging them to cooperate
with these folks.  It really makes no sense for them not to.
Cooperating with open source Linux developers would cost them almost
nothing, and expose them to a market of 10 to 20 million linux users.
Additionally Linux users are generally more experienced computer
professionals and computer users who influence the buying decisions
of other people.

Even with Guillemot's lack of cooperation, you might be able to help
reverse engineer the HW interface if you have a good development
environment for win98.

Myself, I'm getting a Hoontech card.

(Followups to  comp.os.linux.hardware)
--
Lee Olds

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best camera for linux?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:02:20 GMT

What is the best digital camera to use with Linux?  I have an old grayscale
Quickcam, which works fantastic under Linux.. but I'd like to get a color
camera with higher resolution.  What could I get that works well with Linux
and has an excellent picture?

What about video capture cards?  What's out there that works with Linux?
--DavidM

------------------------------

From: John Cavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BT848 and bt 878 TV cards support in Linux
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:26:32 GMT

I'm using the Hauppage WinTV with the drivers built into the kernel under
2.2.5. What I discovered was that if you used modular sound drivers it would
choke on the build, unless you select the base sound system for compiling in
the kernel and the specific drivers as modules... then all is fine.

BTW... if you use Window Maker, look for a dockapp called wmtv, it's tres cool
and kinda useful.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 23:04:03 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.hardware didst Johan Kullstam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

:> Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:>
:>
:> > god help you if you have a file named `-rf'.  now how much good did
:> > that alias rm='rm -i' do you?  now who's laughing at shell
:> > expansions?!
:>
:> Umm, -i takes precedence...

: not around here.

: sophia(Tmp)$ touch foo
: sophia(Tmp)$ rm -i -f foo
: sophia(Tmp)$

: notice lack of promptage querying whether or not i want to delete foo.
: it sure seems like the last option takes precedence to me.

Irrelevant.
Try aliasing rm to 'rm -i' and doing it.
Querying takes precedence then... At least on this shell.
(tcsh), and I just checked it in bash as well....

Worked there...

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

------------------------------

From: Sandeep K Shandilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does IDE bus mastering benefit multitasking like SCSI?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:36:21 +0000

hi all

When it comes to bus mastering both SCSI and IDE are the same.
The advantage of SCSI over IDE is that the SCSI bus and controller can
handle many I/O operations simultaneously(time shared, buffering
requests). Because SCSI buffers
requests, optimsation on the requests can be done.

If u are looking at server then SCSI is the best. If u are looking at a
work station
why burn money u'd be better off with an EIDE drive.

bye
sandy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:43:48 -0800
From: William O'Neal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Interesting correspondence with Aureal's VP of Marketing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: APC Smart UPS under Linux - Setup
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:05:35 GMT

In article <7bugei$kc5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Maurice Janssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Till Mommsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Hello,
>
> : I am trying to install  APC Smart UPS 700 on a Linux system.  I am using the
> : standard RS232 cable that comes with the UPS; it is connected to COM1
> : (/dev/ttyS0).  When I put the following lines into the inittab:
> <snip>
>
> I'm using apcupsd with an APC SmartUPS. Works great.
> (sorry, don't have a URL, something with vanderbilt in it).
>
> HTH, Maurice
> --

Try http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/ or
http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools/
Works great
Oliver Koch

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rebecca McQuitty)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.x,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: The Kyle is a Fink!  Was: Re: XF86 and ThinkPad 560
Date: 31 Mar 1999 15:22:55 -0800

David Fox <d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u> wrote:

> This is not net abuse.  If XIG's server is twice as fast on a tp560
> than XFree86 or Metroworks (which I believe it is) that's useful
> information, which puts the message not only a cut above net abuse
> but a cut above average.

Doesn't matter.  Spam is defined by the number of times an identical (or
nearly identical) message is posted, not by the content of the message.

--
Rebecca Graham McQuitty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Brands)
Subject: hardware and slackwae
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:19:47 GMT

Hi
Does anybody know if a list exists that lists the hardware that is
supported by linux? (slackware 3.6)
Thanks
Charles Brands

From: Luis Gallego Fernandez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Linux and Radio Plus Zoltrix Card
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:57:31 +0200

Hi Friends:

    Since a few weeks i had a PC with RedHat 5.2 installed. Today, i'll
buy a Radio Tuner Card (Zoltrix
Radio Plus), Somebody knows how i make it work in Linux?.

    Please e-mail me.

    Thanks for all.

    Luis Gallego.

------------------------------

From: taniwha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:30:17 +0000

 Is there a chance that your system does a save-to-disk when
you close the cover and when you repartitioned for Linux
you trashed part or all of the DOS partition that the save
to disk is done to? - you could be writing over your
swap or something causing running programs to be corrupted

    Paul

------------------------------

From: Big Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Horror story with a VIA chipset
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:58:05 -0600

Mikael Bouillot wrote:

> [...]
> different checksum each time I did this. Wondering what was going wrong, I
> copied the whole directory and then did a cksum on both. Again, the cksum gave
> me different checksums for a couple of files. By cksuming again and again, I
> found out that one file had consistent albeit different checksums every time.
> This file had been copied with an error and no error messages from the kernel
> or anything! :-(
> I tried to see what was different between the original and the copy with head,
> tail, hexdump and cksum, and it turned out that a single bit had been changed.
>
> Thinking it was my hd that was corrupting data (and I was getting more than a
> bit worried), I ran this whole set of tests on my jaz. Whether doing it on an
> IDE hd controlled by the motherboard chipset or my jaz connected to a PCI 53c810
> SCSI card, the results where the same: Out of a couple hundred megabytes read
> from the disk, I was getting one or two messed-up bits with no error message or
> whatever from the kernel!
>
> Next step, I tried all kernels I could with many different setups. 2.0.3x,
> 2.1.x, 2.2.2, fast-SCSI turned on/off... Nothing to do, still the exact same
> problem. Since it was the same on SCSI and IDE, it seemed to be a problem with
> the DMA.
>
> Next, I tried changing the motherboard clock. I tried 50, 66, 75, 83 Mhz. Still
> nothing (either better or worse).
>
> Finally, to rule out a software issue, I reinstalled a fresh RedHat 5.1.
> Nothing.
>
> At that point, I was totally paranoid. When reading data from a disk, my
> computer was corrupting it silently. I started using cksum on every file I
> copied, and actually cought a couple of corruptions. The thought that each file
> I had copied and burned on CD for 8 month might potentially be messed up was
> making me crazy.
>
> Last but not least, on a friend's advice, I did the same test under windows. I
> made a 200 Mb zip, copied it around a couple of times and one of them turned out
> to have a bad checksum.
>
>   That's my story. I was just wondering how I have been able to work for 8 month
> on a computer that flips one bit every couple of megs read from a disk. The fact
> that it does it only for very intensive reads (several megs at once) might
> explain that the system was still usable.
>
> My last guess is that the DMA controller is responsible for this. I have a K6
> on a VIA motherboard. Here's what I got from /proc/pci:
>
>   VIA Technologies VT 82C597 Apollo VP3
>

>  If you want to try this at home, just do a "head -c 200m /dev/urandom > file",
> then copy the file and compare the checksums using cksum a couple of times.
>
>   That's it. I've never been so scared of my computer before, and I'm going to
> continue cksuming all my files for some time even after I fix that problem :'(
>
> If you know anything about this, please tell me about it.

I do not know for sure that this is a chipset problem. I have heard that
the K6 series is not a good CPU to use for hard disk recording large
.wavs, because it will stop and "burp" itself every so often. So it
could be that the CPU is at fault here, as well. I have a K6-2 myself.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:21:48 -0800

On 30 Mar 1999 06:34:28 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi) writes:
>
>>      That and neither rm or the shells are a core part of the OS in Unix
>>      to begin with...
>
>Yeah, and the Windows explorer isn't a part of Windows either...

        Strictly speaking it isn't. It's just another application.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Baccus)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 16:42:07 PST

In article <26yM2.13225$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Some of us started on PDP-8s with 16K of memory. Of course, we could only
>timeshare 20 users.

Surely you mean PDP-8's, not PDP-8s.

For, I started on a PDP-8s, with 4K, and believe me, you didn't
share that little box with no-one :)

(the "s" stands for serial, i.e. bit-by-bit adds and the like,
 roughly 22 times slower than a PDP-8 :( )

--

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:32:40 -0800

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:40:27 +0200, Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>jedi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >Great, so I will make even bigger the pile of redundant and inconsistent
>> >stuff I already have in the system.  (Not a Unix-specific criticism of
>> >course.)  Geez, how lazy can you be.
>> Without the need to artificially generate this years software sales
>> revenue there really is no need break everything else on the system
>> just because one lemming wants a shell like command.com or finder.
>> Besides, we're not allergic to diversity.
>
>Certainly not.  This must be the reason why simple utilities for basic file
>management can have more options than my C compiler, a huge number of them

        All that shows is that you've got the compiler equivalent of
        a pair of those kiddie scissors with the curved ends.

>redundant (just to be compatible with twenty-five ancestors in the Unix
>genealogy).  And this, in turn, must be the reason why Unix is the dominant
>OS in the desktop...

        Actually, considering why the dominant micro-OS is there, that
        is not too far off the mark despite being sarcasm.

        Windows dominates because DOS did and everyone was so impressed
        by 'Chaplins stack of floppies'. That it has a desktop at all is
        just the usual 'move just enough to prevent a mass exodus and no more'
        manuever on the part of M$.

>Although I also don't like when companies introduce incompatibilities for
>business interests instead of sound technical reasons, this doesn't means
>such reasons doesn't exist.  And evolution is incompatible with permanenet
>backwards compatibility, period.  Shells and little utilities are
>irrelevent, they're the tip of the iceberg.

        Software does not wear out. There is little real reason to get
        rid of it if a system is modular. The collossal lack of any
        modularity or real design in WinDOS is why it's backward
        compatibility is so problematic. They didn't even do MACH right.

From: "Daniel Baechli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: the same old question: linux on a 368er notebook with low ram
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 02:49:31 +0200

Hello

I wouldn't ask this question if I wouldn't ask it
so here we go (well this is after scanning through
dejanews for ages):

Has anyone ever come to a reasonnable linux installation
with 3 megs ram? No X of course, but something like a
base system? I tried the slackware installation with
bare.i, lowmem.i and who knows what else (taking the
obsolete root images color or text that fit on 1.44 fd).

Well, as a complete ignorant I can't understand why
a GUI-based OS like windows3.1 installs without problems
and runs reasonnably on this laptop where *I* cannot even
put on a slim linux system without X.

The notebook is a 386SX, with 80mb hd, 25mhz processor.
Now to cut off before I miss the point - if anyone could
give me any instructions on how to reach my goal I really
would be too glad. Got an external zip drive which could be
of some use though, but, damnit, I don't know how to use
it for installation.

Maybe smalllinux would be a possibility but I did not found
any precise instructions (not precise enough for me) to run
it from my hard disk. Booting two floppies, sigh...

D. Bächli