From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB printer and Red Hat 7.0  Part II
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:57:42 GMT

Following up on my own message:  Everything works perfectly if I hook the
printer up to the parallel port -- hence the problem is only a USB problem.
Help!

news:pc3Q5.7298$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: fuchs gerhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:03:35 +0100

hi!

at first - english isnīt my native language!

at second: we have 3 compaq proliant server running SUSe 6.4 Linux.
Every maschine have 128 MB RAM, which ist true and can be seen at the
start of the system and in the bios. BUT: When i look at the values of
the "top" - tool, i can see only 14MB RAM. And the performance of the
maschine looks like 14MB RAM and not like 128MB RAM.

How can i tell my linux, that there ist more RAM than it
knows?????????????

THX - a lot.

PS: i canīt find an answer to this question in the compaq-forum, so i
hope for better results.

------------------------------

From: shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HPT 370 ATA/100 Onboard Controller
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:09:46 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:33:23 -0600, "David Beechum"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>ok i downloaded the patch from
>http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers.htm
>and i followed the Kernal-HOWTO on patching the kernal, but i don't think im
>doing something right.....nothing seems to happen after i finish and reboot.
>i get several errors during patching saying i can't find various files, but
>the files are there and it does patch some of the files. when i 'make' i get
>some strange errors too....i have clean copy of my kernel source tarred up,
>so if anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.
>thanks,
>Dave

Did you use the kernel from kernel.org or the kernel source that
came with your distro? If you used the distro, grab it from
www.kernel.org, untar and then apply the patch and build it.

--
remove the .nospam to reply via email

------------------------------

From: "Shawn Craver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com/USR 2977 PCI modem (oem)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:10:42 GMT

Just thought that everyone would l ike to know that I finally got my modem
working. After about 3 hours of screwing around, trying everything thats
been suggested (unfortunately none of them worked), I broke down and
downloaded kernel 2.4 test 10. After compiling that, it picked up my modem
beautifully. Now I just have to figure out what I did to break my sound
support (SB Live value). :-)

    --Shawn

------------------------------

From: Michel Dubois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB quickcam logitech
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:17:50 +0100

Hello,

------------------------------

Subject: Re: memory + multiprocessors
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Nov 2000 08:32:54 -0500

Please set your line lengths to 75 characters or less.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hello, We want to buy a new LINUX/PC For numeric simulation, and I'd
> like several precisions about multiprocessors (particularily XEON):

> 1) If I have a computer with two processors and 4 Go RAM, what
> amount of memory can be affected to a process?

I'm going to say 2GB, although I'm not entirely sure.

> +2 Go (I think this is the max. which can be adressed by a x86)

The IA32 can address 4GB, I believe.  Possibly more if you use 1MB
pages instead of 4KB ones.

> 2 process of that kind being able to run concurently at any time.

I believe the 2GB ceiling is on the amount of memory which can be
addressed by the kernel.  That means that one process can access 2GB,
or two processes can access 1GB each (if it's an even split).

> +4 Go

I don't believe so.

> 2) Can LINUX run with more than 2 Gb RAM on a PC?

I'm sure it can.  It just won't use any more than 2GB.

I suspect there are projects underway to change this, however, so you
might check using Google for more information.  Check with VA Linux in
particular: I know they're working very hard to break into the
high-end Intel server market, and they might have come out with a
kernel that has this feature.

This is definitely a place where Linux lags notably behind Windows
NT/2000 (which can do 8GB on Server and Advanced Server, and 32GB on
Datacenter Server, I think), so I'm sure there's considerable effort
underway to raise that limit.  And if you're willing to spend this
kind of money on a computer that runs Linux, I'm even more sure the
major computer sellers (that sell Linux boxes) are pushing for it.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Nov 2000 08:36:55 -0500

fuchs gerhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> at first - english isnīt my native language!

The worst that will happen is that people may ask you to reword your
question.

> at second: we have 3 compaq proliant server running SUSe 6.4 Linux.
> Every maschine have 128 MB RAM, which ist true and can be seen at the
> start of the system and in the bios. BUT: When i look at the values of
> the "top" - tool, i can see only 14MB RAM. And the performance of the
> maschine looks like 14MB RAM and not like 128MB RAM.

Two possibilities.

1. You have a "memory hole" between 15 and 16MB.  Linux expects there
to be memory all the way from byte 0 to byte 128M, if that's how much
you have.  Look in your BIOS and turn this option off, if it's on.
Some older OSes require this (possibly Netware).

2. Linux just isn't detecting all your memory.  Try passing the
"ram=128M" option to the kernel (I believe).

> PS: i canīt find an answer to this question in the compaq-forum, so i
> hope for better results.

Check Linux FAQs or HOWTOs.  I'd be very surprised if they didn't have
even better advice than the people in this group.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Maxym")
Subject: ISA NIC Redhat 7
Date: 14 Nov 2000 14:15:56 +0100

=======_NextPart_000_0005_01C04E98.CDC4B4B0

Howdy, ive managed to get my Kingston ISA NIC working in Redhat using a =
'ifconfig 192.168.0.1 up'  command but when i reboot i need to do it =
again, i have been messing around with the modules.conf but i havent got =
it to work properly and show up normally like my PCI network card, ny =
help will be appreciated

uin - 2771551

=======_NextPart_000_0005_01C04E98.CDC4B4B0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Howdy, ive managed to get my Kingston =
ISA NIC=20
working in Redhat using a 'ifconfig 192.168.0.1 up'&nbsp; command but =
when i=20
reboot i need to do it again, i have been messing around with the =
modules.conf=20
but i havent got it to work properly and show up normally like my PCI =
network=20
card, ny help will be appreciated</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>uin - =
2771551</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_0005_01C04E98.CDC4B4B0==

--
Posted from mr14.vic-remote.bigpond.net.au [24.192.1.29]

From: "sebastien kozlowskyj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serverworks ... Linux...
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:13:25 +0100

I want to buy SUPER 370 DL3 motherboard ...

Does anyone already have experience with ServerWorks chipsets and Linux ?
compatibility,installation,etc ...

Thanks for advance...

Kozlowkyj Sebastien

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gary P. Fiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linksys Networks everywhere NC100 ver 2.1 NIC
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:04:05 GMT

Any one tried the Networks Everywhere NC100 ver 2.1 NIC 10/100 PCI
card yet under Linux.?

The local CompUSA has them on sale. Have not found anything doing a
web search about linux and this card. The Networks Everywhere does not
mention Linux although they do under a kit using two cards and a hub.

Gary Fiber

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:16:26 GMT

Okay guys...I am figuring the solution seems to be upgrading to one of
the new kernels (2.4 pre10 from what I've read - what new things have
been added to this version that fixes that? better pci support or
something?).

I figured I would give all the info I have and see if anyone had any
last minute suggestions before I dedicate my modem connection to a
large kernel download especially if it will only be replaced shortly
with a the released version.

Am I allowed to pick another COM port with setserial as long as my port
is right?  I seem to recall trying to set it to different COM ports and
setserial not allowing me to do that (but I will try one more time).

Something interesting...I tried using minicom and when it tried
initializing the modem, it took about 30 seconds, but it finally showed
the init string which minicom provided.  I tried dialing a number with
an ATDT command and it dialed the number after several seconds of
waiting on it.

I tried using that init string from within kppp but that did not seem
to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eric Bresie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is my setup:

I am currently using Redhat 7.0 with a 2.2.17 kernel (with more than 4
com ports support enabled).  I have two Serial ports built in on my
motherboard, but I was not using one so I turned the second off in the
BIOS in an attempt to avoid possible conflicts with other hardware.  I
have a US Robotics PCI 56K Faxmodem (model 5610-rev 1 ; according to
lspci), which always displays as COM5 in Windows 98.

# cat /dev/proc:

  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=12b9. Device id=1008.
      Medium devsel.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].

# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 9 port 0xb000 uart 16550A ^fourport ^auto_irq
skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi

Setup after start:

# setserial /dev/ttyS4
/dev/ttyS4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb000, IRQ: 2, Flags: spd_vhi

# lspci -v -v

00:0e.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
(rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
        Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com USR 56k Internal FAX Modem (Model
5610)
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Before you buy.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Serverworks ... Linux...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Nov 2000 09:34:09 -0500

"sebastien kozlowskyj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I want to buy SUPER 370 DL3 motherboard ...
> Does anyone already have experience with ServerWorks chipsets and Linux ?
> compatibility,installation,etc ...

Everything I've heard is very favorable.  Considerably moreso than for
the i840, which is known not to function correctly in Linux (probably
due to a new APIC which Linux doesn't yet fully support).

If I can ever find a SW board with dual slot 1s instead of S370s, I'm
buying it.

Date: 14 Nov 2000 9:10:25 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB support?

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Frank Sweetser;

 FS> Matthew Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hey everyone, I have a question:
>>
>>I hear that they are still working on making the Linux kernel able
>>to support all sorts of USB devices. Does anyone know when they are
>>going to make a /dev/null that has a USB driver for it?

 FS> ...?  I'm still trying to decide if this is for real or not.  you
 FS> *do* know what /dev/null does, right?

Chuckle, yeah I saw that too, and decided he was attempting to exert a
pull on our legs.  If he was serious, he really needs some tutoring.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: zero cache size, low bogomips!
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:47:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ramakanth Munipalli"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello, i have just purchased a p-III 600 MHz supposedly with 256K L2
> cache,

   P3's have a 512k L2 cache on katmai's, 256 on coppermines

 on an intel CA810E motherboard. cache size shows up in
> /proc/cpuinfo as zero and simultaneously, bogomips value is
> consistently  about 596 while it should be closer to 600 (i feel).

   should be ~1200 bogomips

> "stepping" in cpuinfo is 1 and i would like to know
> what that means as well.

    stepping basically means production run.  1 means it was the
first production.

   There's three P3-600's.  One is a Katmai running at 6x100, the
others are Coppermine runnin at 6x100 or 4.5x133.  You're problem
is most likely that L2 cache is disabled in bios.

   While you're in bios, check the bus speed and L2 cache size.
It should only be 133mhz if the cache size is 256k.  If you find that
the cache size is 512 and the bus is 133mhz, it could be an overclocked
p3-450 and the vendor had to disable L2 in order to make the cpu reach
600mhz.

    Tom

------------------------------

From: Frank Stratmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and TNT2 Ultra
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:55:16 +0100

Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> Greetings!
>
>   I'm using XFree86 4.0.1 included with redhat 7.0 and I own a Nvidia
> TNT2 Ultra (nv driver).
> I'm having some strange problems with the mouse pointer, sometimes (this
> doesn't happen all the time) if I move it fast, some white squares flash
> under it. What's causing this? How can I fix it? (Except by downloading
> Nvidia's drivers, I did that already and they are giving me some other
> problems.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> - I think my men can handle one little penguin!
> - No, Mr. Gates...your men are already dead!

 Hi there

I am also using the TNT2 Ultra (including NVidia driver under Kernel
2.4.0)
Just guessing:
Have you tried to play with the Options "HWCursor" or "SWCursor" within
your device section?
I am using HWCursor by default and I do not have that problem, but I
formerly had similar problems with an SIS 6326 under Xfree 3.3.6 and
switching the Cursor solved one of them.

Yours sincerely
 Frank Stratmann

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to select "line-in" versus "mic"
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:03:36 -0500

==============8B4CB358076BEA24C2D6B2A3

I have a SoundBlaster PCI512 installed on a RedHat 6.2 machine, kernel 2.2.17.

It appears to be working fine, but I have a dumb question: how do I record from
the line-in versus record from the microphone? I'm not sure how to tell Linux
which one I want. Or does it always listen to all inputs simultaneously?

Thanks.
Mark
==============8B4CB358076BEA24C2D6B2A3

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

==============8B4CB358076BEA24C2D6B2A3==