From: Torjus Gaaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aztech labs soundblaster pro
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:03:18 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Depending on the chipset. For AZT2316 or AZT2320.

It is AZT2320

From: Shimpei Yamashita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and quadra 950
Date: 20 Apr 1999 00:19:27 +0100

David Huff  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>William Reid wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is a version that supports
>> this particular model. I cannot find one. I also have a
>> Daystar power pro 601-100mhz upgrade card installed, if
>> there's linux support for that as well...
>
>The Quadras are NuBus machines, yes ? If so, I believe that your only
>option is MkLinux. Check out:
>
>  http://www.mklinux.apple.com/

Er, no. MkLinux is only for PowerMacs, and that *doesn't* include
68k Macs with PowerPC upgrade cards.

There does exist a Linux for 68k Mac project; its URL was something
like http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/ (probably wrong; I'm offline right
now so I can't check--look for links from www.linux.org). It's been
months since I've checked their status, but they weren't ready for
prime time back then. If you need a more production-ready environment,
try NetBSD at http://www.netbsd.org/; they reportedly have a pretty
good 68k Mac port. Note that neither Linux nor NetBSD has support for
PowerPC upgrade cards.

--
Shimpei Yamashita               <http://www.submm.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kingston ethernet card
Date: 20 Apr 1999 11:05:32 -0400

"Gary Prince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where can I get a driver for my kingston network card?  Is there another
> driver that will work for a Kingston?  I have tried NE2000 and several
> others, to no avail.  Please help.  Thanks,

Please tell what kind of Kingston card you have. If you have the
information, it might help to know what kind of chip is on the
card. I have a couple of different Kingston cards and they all work;
we just need to know what you have...

-Greg

------------------------------

From: "Mark Derckx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Linux on Compaq Proliant 1000
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:25:19 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to install Linux on a Compaq Proliant 1000 server, but i ran into
2 problems.
The first one is that the server uses a RAID controller (Compaq Smart Array
controller) wich isn't supported by linux (it uses a LSI chipset).
The second one is that i also cannot find a driver for the network
controller (Compaq Netflex, it's a card that can do both ethernet and
tokenring).
Anyone has any experience with this kind of servers and the installation of
linux, or knows any support page where to find this kind of information ???
Please send me an e-mail at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance, Mark

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Programmers are gods
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:01:15 +0200

Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>    I love this:
> From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (15Feb98) [foldoc]:
>   FIXME

I prefer standards like TODO: and HACK:, and the fact that these words have
four letters make a lot of sense. :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Diamond FirePort 40 anyone?
Date: 19 Apr 1999 12:49:56 GMT

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:14:04 -0700, leess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_0048_01BE88AA.41DD69C0
>
>I have a Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI controller and it isn't on the =
>supported list. Is anyone else using one in Linux?
>
>Please E-mail me at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Thanks =20

The Diamond Fireport 40 is definately supported in Linux. It uses
the NCR 53c875 controller chip, which is supported by the ncr53c8xx
driver in the kernel. No problems whatsover on my dual board.

PS: Next time turn off HTML in your usenet posts. They add nothing,
and serve only to clog up usenet.

--
When I shop for hardware I always look for the "Designed for Windows 95" logo.
I really thank Microsoft(TM) for encouraging manufacturers to label their

I stick to quality software:

Linux 2.2.6                         | IBM OS/2 Warp (TM) v4.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: IWill Side-2935UW SCSI adapter with Linux?
Date: 19 Apr 1999 12:55:50 GMT

[ Posted and mailed ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:23:44 +0900, John Holmes  wrote:
>Anyone using or know how to setup this card or any Iwill SCSI card?
>
>This card claims to be Linux compatible but after I got it it turned out
>that there is no driver in the box. After consulting the web site I
>downloaded what Iwill claimed was the driver. It is actually a boot
>image and the instructions require me to do a re-install of my Red Hat
>5.2 system placing the swap partition first on the drive. After
>installing their boot image I must then do my Linux install on the
>second partition. No way I am wiping out my whole system just for these
>bozos!!

Yes, the Iwill SCSI card is supported. You can get a patch against
2.0.36 from my homepage, http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvermeul/initio .
Since you already have a linux installation, you should be able to
compile a kernel with support for it in there. The driver that supports
the Iwill Side-2935UW adapter is the Initio 91xxU(W) driver.

You will NOT have to reinstall, nor do anything else, except recompile
and install your kernel. The driver will be in 2.0.37, and it's already
in 2.2.x.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you get into any problems,

Bas Vermeulen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paolo Molaro)
Subject: Re: ASUS P5AB
Date: 20 Apr 1999 14:35:18 GMT

On 20 Apr 1999 12:17:14 GMT, Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd suggest the FIC VA503+.  The P5A-B is a good board but I don't think
> Linux has UDMA support yet for the ALI chipset.  With the MVP3 chipset you
> get UDMA support in the 2.2 kernels, or with the so-called "jumbo patch".

I have a P5A-B with the udma patch for kernel 2.2.5 and hdparm
reports 12.55 MB/s on a Quantum disk (8.1 without the patch).

lupus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     debian/rules

------------------------------

From: Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wireless home networking
Date: 19 Apr 1999 14:49:01 -0400

        Do any of the reasonably-priced wireless home networking
systems out now work w/ linux?

--
Chris Green

------------------------------

From: Vince Veselosky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: newbie question - X11 server incorrect
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:39:43 GMT

The X servers come in their own separate RPM packages. They will be on your CD
or you can download the latest ones from Caldera's site. They probably all got
installed by default, just not configured. Try running the XF86Setup
(case-sensitive!) utility. This is a nifty little graphical setup program for
X. Step through it screen by screen and you should be up and running!

As for newbie sites, try mine listed below. Good luck!

Vince

--
Control-Escape: Alternative Software
Linux help for beginners to advanced users.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: PCI modem /with/ a controller?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:49:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Thompson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Johan Kullstam wrote:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
>> > is there such a beast, and if so, who makes it? they all seem to be
>> > controllerless winmodem pieces of sh*t to me..
>> one word: *external*

>An external PCI modem?  I've got to admit, I've never even
>considered that...

Actiontec has announced that they will have a PCI, call-waiting-detect
modem with Linux drivers coming out next month, if you can wait (based on
Lucent Venus=hardware controller chipset).

Multitech's MT5634ZPX-PCI is also a hardware modem, though no one seems to
have gotten one to work with Linux yet.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Leung)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Future Domain 18X00 SCSI driver for Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:49:02 -0700

I have a Future domain ISA 18X00 SCSI card installed in my Linux system. I
have tried to locate the driver for it but no success. My system is a RH
5.2 with kernel 2.2.6. Starting from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.6, I don't see
any support for this SCSI card. I have tried Dejanews and nothing can
help. See if you can give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Kelvin

------------------------------

From: "Remy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO & SCSI
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:39:20 +0200

Set the following in lilo.conf, I had the same problem on my Asus P2B-S
(Viking II + IDE Maxtor():

disk=/dev/sda
bios=0x80

Then everything worked fine for me, I found this in the lilo-howto by the
way...

Remy

news:7fccbe$cca$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Arne K. Haaje" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UPS
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:05:16 +0200

Joshua D Rusch wrote:

> I'm looking to buy an uninterruptible power supply for my Redhat 5.2 system
> (kernel 2.2.5) Any suggestions on a specific brandname and or linux friendly
> equipment. Also are there any FAQs on this?

I use Exides NetUPS which works well. The monitoring software runs on
Linux and a host of other platforms. See http://www.exide.com/

Arne
--
================================
Arne K. Haaje   |

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:02:35 +0200

Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> char achar, bchar, cchar, dchar, echar, fchar, gchar, hchar,
>      ichar, jchar, kchar;
>
> int dsiz = M_SIZE;
>
> int
> func(int a, char b, char *c, char **d)
> {
> if (a == b == *c == (d[0][0]+d[1][a])) {
> c = malloc(sizeof(a+b+c+(*d)));
>
> memccpy(c, *d, kchar, dsiz);
>
> return strlen(c) + d[0][a] % (a + (b*2));
> } else
> memcpy(c, *d, dsiz);
>
> return *d[0][a % 3];
> }
>
>    This is broken code, but it's hard to figure out the real
> purpose of it.  Wouldn't comments help here?

Easy.  The purpose is having the programmer to be fired (if I happened to be
the manager)  :-)))

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:52:11 -0500

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <7ffjuv$k85$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Leslie Mikesell wrote:
> >> And by the way, comments really have nothing to do with making
> >> code understandable and when the code is broken there is no
> >> reason to trust the comments.
> >
> >char achar, bchar, cchar, dchar, echar, fchar, gchar, hchar,
> >     ichar, jchar, kchar;
> >
> >int dsiz = M_SIZE;
> >
> >int
> >func(int a, char b, char *c, char **d)
> >{
> >       if (a == b == *c == (d[0][0]+d[1][a])) {
> >               c = malloc(sizeof(a+b+c+(*d)));
> >
> >               memccpy(c, *d, kchar, dsiz);
> >
> >               return strlen(c) + d[0][a] % (a + (b*2));
> >       } else
> >               memcpy(c, *d, dsiz);
> >
> >       return *d[0][a % 3];
> >}
> >
> >   This is broken code, but it's hard to figure out the real
> >purpose of it.  Wouldn't comments help here?
>
> Only to the extent that if the code and the comments disagree
> you can assume that they are probably both wrong.  Otherwise
> if it is the comment that is wrong you will be mislead.  Given
> a limited amount of time, I'd rather see the effort going into
> making the code understandable.  I do find it helpful to put
> the data into structs and comment the struct declarations though.

All data is valid in the solution of a problem -- if nothing more than
to tell you the original author was a idiot and not to trust anything
that they did.  No comments means half the information is missing.
Even if the code does something correctly, how do you know what
the author intended it to do if they didn't bother to write it down?

Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: cannot mount SCSI cdrom with redhat 5.2
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:00:02 GMT

Stéphane ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have install redhat 5.2 on my computer :
:
: ABIT BH6+celerom 300a + 128Mo + hd udma 5.1gb+zip ide
: asus TNT V3400, aha2940au+jaz scsi+cdr scsi  jvc2020+cd pionneer scsi 40x
: u103s
:
: I cannot mount my cdrom pionneer !

Post the commands you've entered, and any responses or error messages that
you've received.  Does your system even see the CDROM drive?

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: seagate tape drive support
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:46:49 -0400

You can use the 'taper' software with this tape drive, which is what I have.
I downloaded it from the web as 'taper-6.9.tar.gz'.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<7fg2lg$u9v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Does anyone know if Linux supports the Seagate STT20000A IDE tape drive?
>Gateway is sending those out by default. Thanks for any help.
>
>Jon Sellers

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: HDD Spindown - For a Year!
From: Paul Rusty Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 14:37:53 +0930

"David Peavey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have an application whereby I would like to use a Linux machine as a
> network gateway.  This particular function requires a very high Mean time
> between failures (MTBF) - I.E. 10 years without failure.  I would like to
> set it up to powered up, with the necessary things loaded, and then left ..
> possibly forever.

If you're only pumping packets, you can actually halt the Linux box.
Note that some modern shutdowns default to shutting down interfaces to
avoid this behaviour.

Rusty.
--
Tridge, Raster, DaveM, Cort, maddog... Where will you be 9-11 July 1999?
                http://www.linux.org.au/projects/calu