Linux-Hardware Digest #71, Volume #11            Sun, 22 Aug 99 12:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  Linux problems on a Compaq Presario 974 ("David Ferguson")
  Re: any rpm file for Asus 3400 TNT ?? (Tim Moore)
  Re: NE2000 PCI installation problems... (Tim Moore)
  Re: How to I remove Lilo ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Re: Audio DATs and linux ("Carl Filpo")
  Re: Watch and see... k6.2co6.65jc (ChefGregsTruk)
  Where can I find the QLA2100 driver? (Namgoong Jae-chang)
  Re: Cooling a P120 Linux Box? (Frank Themann)
  Abit BP6, dual Celeron, overclocking, Video Card and more...... (Huib Wouters)
  Re: Linux & Diamond Monster Fusion (Bill)
  Re: Diamond Monster Sound Drivers??? (Bill)
  Re: BJC-5000 Printer (Leonard)
  es1371 sound problems ("Randy and Danyon")
  Re: Intel I740 8Mb Sgram AGP... ("Thingi")
  Re: SETUP for MAXTOR 8.4 GB Diamond Max (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux (See sig for reply)
  Re: Dual Soundcards in Linux (Erik Olson)
  Miro PCTV Card (Bttv Card) ("Thingi")
  Re: ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368 (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: Disk druid/fdisk partition error on IBM 34Gb IDE (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: RH6 Install and Partition Prob, Expert level (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: Cooling a P120 Linux Box? (Guillaume Filion)
  Re: video capture board (Holger Klemm)
  Re: Miro PCTV Card (Bttv Card) (Holger Klemm)
  Re: [Q] Installing linux with CD-RW (Andrew Martin)
  System Locks up when new drive installed ("General Lee")

From: "David Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux problems on a Compaq Presario 974
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 05:55:34 -0400

I am noticing some file corruption with RedHat 6.0.  I was thinking it may
either be Samba, my HD, or my IDE controller.  Someone told me that there
were problems with my IDE controller chipset (CMD 640 I believe).  I cannot
get into the bios, and I believe it is also running in CHS mode (the HD is a
1.7 and should, by all accounts, be in LBA).

Could someone please help me?

Email me, please, if you can.

Dave

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:13:09 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: any rpm file for Asus 3400 TNT ??

XFree86 version 3.3.3.1 or higher; RIVA TNT is the correct chipset.
This is the card under /proc/pci:
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 4).
      Vendor id=10de. Device id=20.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.

timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.
com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:10:13 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.elsa,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: NE2000 PCI installation problems...

turn off PnP in BIOS

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.help,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to I remove Lilo
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:44:36 +0000

BD wrote:

> I recently installed linux 5.2 and installed lilo.  Well today I booted
> up my computer and linux partition and everything else (bar my C: drive
> for windoze) was gone.
> So now im stuck with lilo at bootup. How do I delete it?

Despite my previous post, I am usually a kind hearted soul and I
remembered that I hate rude replies to innocent messages.

Run 'fdisk /mbr' from dos/windows to reinstall the master boot record.
This will remove lilo and fix the problem.

Note that if you decide to reinstall linux/lilo again in the future, you
can add your windows partition so that you can just boot into windows from
lilo if you have a problem with linux.

Sincerely,
Ryan T. Rhea

From: "Carl Filpo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Audio DATs and linux
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:38:34 +0800

Can't confirm this but a sales rep once told me that you can read
the computer DAT tapes in an audio DAT player but not the other
way around - something to do with the audio tapes not being of
a high enough quality for backup reliability, etc.

news:7ph1ou$ofl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: ChefGregsTruk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe,rec.travel.europe,nz.comp,alt.astrology.marketplace,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.prophecies.cayce
Subject: Re: Watch and see... k6.2co6.65jc
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:19:55 +0800

ROTFLMFFAOPIMP!!!!!!!!!!!

DEX wrote:

> "I don't wanta close my eyes,...
>
>  don't wanta fall to sleep...
>
>  'Cause I miss you BABY...
>
>  and I don't wanta miss a thing..."
>
> <LET'S ROCK !!!>
>
> ---
>
> > Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > This is your last warning! Read CAREFULLY and be edified:
>
> [.....]

"Wipe them out......  all of them..."

Darth Sidious

Star Wars Episode I
The Phantom Menace

------------------------------

From: Namgoong Jae-chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I find the QLA2100 driver?
Date: 22 Aug 1999 09:51:56 GMT

Is there anyone who knows about QLogic's QLA2100 Fibre Channel adapter
driver for Linux?  I visited QLogic's homepage but there is no stuff
for Linux.

Thanks in advance.

--
sinclair(a)postech.ac.kr

------------------------------

Date: 22 Aug 1999 09:45:00 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Themann)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Cooling a P120 Linux Box?

Hi!

I also got a fairly simple machine (Pentium 60 - also a high power cpu and
two harddisks) running 24hours a day - and it works fine without extra
cooling. You should check the harddisk - if it is a 7200 rpm or higher I
would suggest an extra fan for it, but an ordinary regular speed disk is
able to dissipate the heat by itself unless it is enclosed in an extra
housing. It would be wise to have a small gap above the harddisk.

Do not worry about the network cards or the video card. The normal cards
have no heat problems.

Extra fans tend to get a lot of dust into the housing, and that may
destroy the cards easily because it blocks the heat dissipation. I would
not recommend an extra fan if you do not really need it.

You should be concerned about keeping the computer clean from inside (by
carefully using a vacuum cleaner for the inside once in a while), and the
power - my computer runs on a (cheap) ups. Since I live at the countryside
of Germany, power failures are possible and the ups did a good job twice
in about half a year.

Have a lot of fun :-)

Frank.

--
Frank Themann          8-Bit computing power / Z-80A / 4 MHz IMS 8000 Micro
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Huib Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit BP6, dual Celeron, overclocking, Video Card and more......
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:15:03 +0200

==============2BF7F95799B7D25AAD7DC6D6

I am running Linux on an old Pentium 60 with 48MB and its time to speed
things up. I would like to upgrade, or renew, my system by plugging in a
new motherboard, processor, memory and, at a later stage, harddisk and
video card.

I would like to try a dual celeron system with the Abit BP6 board and
not I am looking for some advice. On the net I've found many reports of
people using this board and overclocking the processors but I'm not
quite sure which solution is best. So if anyone has some first hand
experience please let me know!!!!!!

First about the dual processor board. If I'm right its a matter of
replacing the old board (my old PCI video card and IDE drives should
still work) install the SMP kernel RPM. Liliconf and reboot, ....
finished. Is it really that simple or am I overlooking something?

What about memory on the BP6 board. Most boards have 4 SIMM connectors
and you have to use 2 (+ 2) identical SIMM modules. The BP6 board has 3
SIMM connectors. Can I use just 1 128MB SIMM module or do I have to use
at least two modules (e.g. 2 modules of 64MB)? What about the so called
ECC memory, it's more expensive but do I see a big performance
difference with the standard 100Mhz memory?

The Ultra ATA/66 is supported with the 2.2 kernel?

And what about overclocking? The prices of the Celeron PPGA have really
dropped; 336MHz for $80, 400MHz for $100. Only the 466 and 500MHz
versions are quite expensive. I've seen reports of people overclocking
the 366MHz version to 550MHz. If I want to go to 500 or 550MHz, what
Celeron should I buy? Is a 400MHz safer than a 366MHz or is this just
Intel marketing bullshit. What about the suffixes A, PPGA,
Mendoccio..... what version to look for?

What is the best cooler if I want to overclock my system? Do these
freezer coolers (-30C !!!) really exist? And what about the price? I can
buy $50  cooler but then a 500Mhz in-a-box Celeron is also an option!!!

And for the final upgrade. I now have an old Mach64 video card and a 15"
monitor. If I find a good priced 17" or 19" screen I would like to buy a
good video card. With the existing Linux drivers, what to look for RIVA
TNT2, Matrox Millenium G400? Any card that goes well with the dual
Celeron board?

What about a low budget card to go with my old 15" monitor (1024x768 is
OK but I'd like some more speed and more colors), any suggestions?

I know these are a lot of questions but if anyone reads all of the above
and can give me some good advice, thanks a lot!!!

Huib
Huib Wouters                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          Linux: proof of intelligent life on earth

==============2BF7F95799B7D25AAD7DC6D6

begin:vcard
n:Wouters;Huib
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:-
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:-
adr;quoted-printable:;;Beukelsdijk 103B=0D=0A3021 AE;Rotterdam;;;the Netherlands
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
tel;home:+31-10-4763778
tel;work:+31-251-498593
fn:Huib Wouters
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill)
Subject: Re: Linux & Diamond Monster Fusion
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:19:45 GMT

Install the banshee RPM's from www.3dfx.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill)
Subject: Re: Diamond Monster Sound Drivers???
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:20:45 GMT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:51:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (crusher) wrote:

>Anybody know where i can get drivers for my diamond monster sound
>card(original monster pci)
>
>thanks
>chris
It doesn't wor kunder linux yet.Maybe in Sept. there will be drivers
at www.opensound.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard)
Subject: Re: BJC-5000 Printer
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:57:37 GMT

Paul...

Sorry, the 5000 is a Win-printer...some of its print functions are
accomplished in the driver and not on the chips in the printer...
thus..no will work on LINUX! I have one and I'm looking for
a cheap BJC-4400 for Linux and leave the 5000 over on Win95B.

Leonard...

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:29:55 +1000, Paul Gigg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:Howdy,
:
:Anyone got this type of printer working in Linux ?
:
:Any suggestions on which filter I should be using ?
:
:PG
:

------------------------------

From: "Randy and Danyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: es1371 sound problems
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:38:00 -0400

I was wondering if someone could help me out.....
I have a Ensoniq audiopci97 soundcard (chipset 1371) (built onto
motherboard). I am running redhat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.11. I compiled the
kernel with sound support using the 1371 chipset. So when I boot I see :
es1371: version v0.13 time 12:40:13 Aug 14 1999
es1371: found adapter at io 0xef00 irq 11
es1371: features: joystick 0x200
es1371: codec vendor TRA revision 3
es1371: codec features none
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement
Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete

If I cat /dev/sndstat I see............

[root@user-38lc7sb /dev]# cat sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux user-38lc7sb 2.2.11 #3 Sat Aug 14 12:54:07 EDT 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

So I am stuck..... How do I get sound working................I thought I had
it according to the mini-howto on sound but I don't. Should I try
www.alsa-project.org and use their drivers???

Any Help is appreciated.......

Randy

From: "Thingi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel I740 8Mb Sgram AGP...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:39:15 +0100

I'm a newbie, If I can get my i740 working you shouldn't have any problems
:-)

ttfn [EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: SETUP for MAXTOR 8.4 GB Diamond Max
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:30:08 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, George/Jorge wrote:

:: I just purchased a MAXTOR 8.4 GB Diamond Max IDE hard
:: drive.
::
:: I need the setup parameters for fdisk so that I can get
:: it to run with linux.
::
:: Computer:   Generic  486  50mhz
::
:: Linux:  1.2.8
::
:: fdisk complains when the number of cylinders is greater
:: than 1024.
::
:: EMAIL TO:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> answered:

: You may be SOL.  A 486/50 is (by technology standards)
: an ancient machine.  The motherboard's BIOS may not be able
: to handle the larger drives.  Refer to the HOWTO on using
: large hard disks but again - older computers may not be able to
: use LBA or other schemes to use large hard disks.

But these schemes are required only for DOS.
Linux does not use the BIOS, so the BIOS' capabilities
are irrelevant. There is no problem in using an 8.4 GB
IDE disk on an ancient machine with an ancient version
of Linux.

:: fdisk complains when the number of cylinders is greater
:: than 1024.

It warns you that DOS will have troubles.
For a Linux-only machine you can ignore the warnings.
Using a recent fdisk or cfdisk will reduce the number
of confusing warnings.

at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
From: See sig for reply <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:21:05 GMT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Kalkas wrote:

> I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I am
> fascinated by Linux's stability and security.

I agree.

> However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I use
> cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink III
> ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers which
> will support my card in Linux.

Ooops?
One of my Linux boxes does use a 3C509. Had no problems to get it running.
Even the Linux which included kernel 2.0.33 supported it.

Cheers,
        Detlef.

--
Detlef Marxsen at 53 27 N 09 57 E.
Due to bad spam experience, my header is faked. To send email to me

------------------------------

From: Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Soundcards in Linux
Date: 22 Aug 1999 14:53:28 GMT

Mark Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     I have a slight issue... I'd like to get both my soundcards
> (Creative SB Vibra 16 and ESS 1868, both ISA PNP) working in linux (Red
> Hat 6.0).  I can get the SB16 working fine, both Windows and Linux
> work.  The ESS 1868 is supposed to work as a soundblaster 16.  Note that
> I can get both cards working fine in Windows 98.

First rule of Linux audio: Whenever a card claims to be "soundblaster
compatible" it is not.

Now the ESS 1868 card might be supported in 2.2, and then it might not, so
before jumping into dual sound cards I would pull out the Vibra16 and
see if you can get the ESS 1868 to work.  If you can, then chances are
you can get dual cards working without too much trouble.

Then read the blurb on dual audio cards; the SE440BX Crystal CS4236B and
the Sound Blaster16 on my "Linux sound setup for the Intel SE440BX
motherboard".  It's a different setup but this might be helpful to you.

http://www.best.com/~eriko/www/linux/SE440BX_sound_setup.html

good luck,

erik olson

From: "Thingi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Miro PCTV Card (Bttv Card)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:51:00 +0100

How do I get the thing actually woking with RedHat 5.2?

I'm a newbie to Linux and can't seem to find any how-to's on the subject...
can someone please point me in the right direction.

I'd like to use KWinTV, I've got K working on my i740 but I don't know
how to setup the bttv hardware... + can't find any helpful documentation.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:51:14 -0400
From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368

Opps...

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.4/  - Download the latest stable
                                            release from here
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#Trio3D        - Info about t3d and xf86
http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/      - Only if 3.3.4 doesn't work, or
                                            you have other unsupported
                                            cards.
andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: Disk druid/fdisk partition error on IBM 34Gb IDE
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:37:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

: Just upgraded to a DELL XPS600 + IBM-DPTA-373420-(PM) 34Gb HD.

: BIOS:  Phoenix 4.0 Release 6.0 (A04)
: LINUX: Normal Redhat 6.0 install CD.

This is good BIOS information, but poor Linux information.
To specify the Linux version, always give the kernel version,
like "Linux 2.7.13 as found on the SuSE 8.4 CD".

: The problem I am having is that disk druid report problems reading /
: writing to the partition table (no such file or directory error).
: Fdisk just fails with no info at all!

: Stage1 install recognises the HD, and fdisk will let me create
: partitions if there is only an inital win98 partition (however it
: incorrectly creates an empty extended one!). I have even tried using
: expert mode, specifying hda=4160,255,63 (correct drive info).

This is a kernel bug recently introduced in the
IDE driver. Picking a carefully chosen 2.0.* version
(not too old, not too new) might work.

: Is this a UDMA66 problem?

No. Just a kernel bug that affects disks larger than 33.8 GB.

: Will I be able to get RedHat to install or am I going to have to
: install a 2nd HD? Could take the one out of my existing Linux box...
: sigh!

You need to recompile the kernel, removing some recently
added junk from the IDE driver. Or you might try an older
kernel. I can mail you a kernel patch.

Andries - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: RH6 Install and Partition Prob, Expert level
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:54:52 GMT

"Phillip Soloweszyk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: The expert mode in fdisk shows:
: size:18043  Cylinders:34960   Heads:16   Precomp:65535   Landz:34959

: The bios on my Gigabyte 6BXE recognized my HDD this way and that is how it
: is set up in the bios.

: When I reach the stage of the RedHat install that requires the partitions
: to be made, I try to make the first / partition of 100 megs and DiskDruid
: tells me there is not enough space available for the partition.

A DiskDruid bug.

: Next I tried using fdisk to make the partitions but when I use the v
: command to verify the partition table, fdisk tells me my partitions
: overlap.

To be more precise: DOS would see an overlap.
That is unavoidable - DOS cannot handle disks
larger than 8.4 GB.
Just ignore this warning and don't use DOS on this disk.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guillaume Filion)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:01:11 -0400

At 18:13 -0400 21/08/99, Willem Oldeman wrote:
>Guillaume Filion wrote:
>>
>> I bought the computer in a misc electronic shop that closed 3 months after
>> I bought the computer. The case and equipment are relatively low quality
>> and the only cooling equipment that I got is a CPU fan and the power
>> supply fan.
>
>Your cpu will be fine, maybe you want to change it's fan to a high
>quality one
>with bearings, so that it won't jam easily. Perhaps check out the fan in
>the
>power supply as well.

You're right, I just found out that my cpu fan was dead.... Do you have
any recommendation for a Pentium 120 Mhz?

>Try it out... Leave the machine running for 24 hours, maybe exercise the
>harddrive
>a little bit (make it do a lot of seeks) and then try to touch it. If
>you can,
>there is no problem, if your fingers start to hiss, give it a cooler.
>I have seen harddisk brackets that can be mounted above or below the
>harddisk, and
>they only have a fan to cool the drive(s) sitting next to it. The price
>shouldn't be
>higher then say US$15.

I don't think that's an issue since my box has been up 3 days, 17:36 and I
tought I was touching the floppy drive when I was touching the hard drive!
(It was just cold)

>Just be careful about really cheap fans. They don't have bearings and
>could jam any time beyond 1000 hours of use.

I think that's what hapenned to my CPU fan...

>Sex is like air.  It's only a big deal if you can't get any.

This is so true!

Thanks a lot for your answers,
GFK's

------------------------------

From: Holger Klemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video capture board
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:15:54 +0200

See http://home.knUUt.de/holger.klemm/index.html
sorry the HOWTO is in german
Holger

------------------------------

From: Holger Klemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Miro PCTV Card (Bttv Card)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:13:16 +0200

See http://home.knUUt.de/holger.klemm/index.html BTTV-mini HOWTO
Holger

------------------------------

From: Andrew Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] Installing linux with CD-RW
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:29:45 GMT

In article <7pnnu3$2j1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl
Fink) wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:31:58 GMT Andrew Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >I have a creative Blaster 2224 CD-RW as master and a standard CD-ROM as
> >slave on the secondary channel. Will this affect my installation (ie.
> will
> >have to install from one drive in particular, or does it not matter?)
>
> I can't imagine why it would matter.  Use the standard CD-ROM if you can,
> it's almost certainly much faster.

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case.

> >Does anyone know whether this CD-RW will work under linux (I can't find
> any
> >specific information in any of the FAQs). If it doesn't work, can I still
> >use it to read CDs, as I am not too bothered about writing CDs from
> linux?
>
> I have a Creative 4224 Blaster CD-RW on this system, and it works fine.
> If
> 2224 isn't a typo for this model, though, I can't help you.

I assume it's an earlier model, but it's good to know that some creative
drives work.

Thanks a lot,

Tim Martin

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/apmartin

------------------------------

From: "General Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System Locks up when new drive installed
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:32:32 GMT

I have a server running on redhat 5.2 kernel 2.0.36.  It was working fine
until I switched a 10GB Quantum drive with a 20gig Maxtor. Now after about 3
hours the system locks up, can't even do a crtl-alt-del. I shut down the
system, restarts and says..

Unexpected inconsistency, Run fsck Manually.

Brings me to the root for maintenance.  When I do a fsck -r /dev/hde1  It
finds all whole bunch of bad blocks and inodes and asks to clear them, and I
do. One it's done I reboot and the system starts.  After 3-6 hours online it
locks up again and I have to do the same process again.

The Maxtor 20gig is connected to an extra IDE controller connected to a PCI
slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

General Lee