Linux-Hardware Digest #91, Volume #10            Fri, 23 Apr 99 09:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  Re: PCI modem /with/ a controller? (Andrew Comech)
  IDE CRW (Mem 1622) (PAILOTT)
  Re: IBM PS/1 Install ("Arne K. Haaje")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Tor Iver
Wilhelmsen)
  Linux und S3 Trio Chip (SADudek)
  Re: Sound Blaster live ("Phil Jirsa")
  RAID Level 1 errors, need advice... (Dan Warren)
  Re: SCSI help!! ("Ron Reaugh")
  Re: Programmers are gods (Andrew Fan)
  sparc printer in linux (Hong Yu Lu)
  Re: 3dfx VooDoo3 OffTopic (Andrew Fan)
  Mount Sony DVD ROM ("Young Lee")
  Epson stylus 740 driver (Tobias Westerblom)
  Re: WANTED: Opinions on Solo 9100 LS vs. Inspiron 7000 ("rgraham")
  Re: ES1879 AudioDrive ("David Murray")
  Re: ++ USB and LInux ?? ++ ("David Murray")
  Re: On-board sound chip? ("David Murray")
  Re: How to backup 18GB web server? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Intel 440GX Chipset (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Which Scanner Please advise (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Need Help With Xwindows !!!!!   Xfree86 3.3.3.1 And Creativelabs Nvidia TNT
(Ronald Benedik)
  Re: Looking for coments on Initio SCSI controllers (Andrew Fan)
  Re: Need Help With Xwindows !!!!!   Xfree86 3.3.3.1 And Creativelabs  (Andrew Fan)
  Re: Programmers are gods (westprog)
  Accessing SCSI scanner with sane under Linux (James R. Van Zandt)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: PCI modem /with/ a controller?
Date: 21 Apr 1999 09:57:36 -0500

On 20 Apr 1999 22:39:44 -0400, Johan Kullstam wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech) writes:

>> >when you consider that one of them works and the other doesn't, who's
>> >expensive now?
>>
>> Well, what if BOTH work?
>
>that'd be nice.  i haven't seen or heard of any pci modems that work
>with linux.  i'd love to hear that i am mistaken on this issue.

I certainly mean ISA.

(And, of course, you have _heard_ a lot about PCI modems which work
with Linux; you could not see them, though ;-)

>> Externals are just 100-200% overpriced vs. inernal ones.
>
>i don't know about that.  external is usually only $20-30 more than
>internal.  considering how much trouble you save, it might be worth
>it.
>
>> These days the
>> price difference buys you another 64MB of memory.
>
>these days $8 buys you a dec tulip 10mbit ethercard and you use a
>cablemodem.  death to pots.  :-)

Ooops, I thought it was something about US Robotics. OK, OK, $20-30
would not buy 64MB of RAM. But we could still buy 3-4 blocks of beer...
or what about 30 doorstops?

Cheese,
Andrew
--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PAILOTT)
Subject: IDE CRW (Mem 1622)
Date: 23 Apr 1999 07:05:34 GMT

Can someone tell me what program to use to operate an IDE CD writer (memeorex
1622). I have 2 IDE harddrives, an ide cdrom, and an ide crw. I have also a
scsi card running a zip drive. I read the CDRECORD documentation, but can not
figure out what to do to use my cdwriter ?? Is that the recommended s/w, and if
so how do i use it ??

Peter [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: "Arne K. Haaje" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM PS/1 Install
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:35:24 +0200

Andrew Winterburn wrote:

> I have an old IBM PS/1 486 25sx that I am trying to put the PCPlus Red
> Hat 5.2 Linux Installation on. After creating the boot disk for the
> Linux i rebooted the system and placed the disk in the floppy.
> The RedHat installation setup begins and I add 'Linux hd=768,14,62' to
> the boot:
> line for the hard drives settings and press <enter> however, it begins
> to loading the first boot image file  and then freezes.... nothing then
> happens even though the 3.5" disc light is on.

Do you really need the hard-drive parameters. I have installed Slackware
3.0 on such a machine and there was nothing special to it. The machine
had 24 MB RAM and served well as a DNS for 2000 domains for a year!

Arne

================================
Arne K. Haaje   |
Enebakkveien 2  | M: 92 88 44 66
N-1825 Tomter   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
================================
The system needed Windows 95
or better, so I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: 21 Apr 1999 15:33:42 +0200

Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When Windows 3 was released and people actually started using it,
> they noticed these deficiencies and it was fixed with VFAT.

You mean "hacked around it": Micros~1 just patched in a VXD, the
"real" file names - quite often very visible to MS programs - are
still 8+3.

> "CD Report May 1999" is more descriptive.

Yes. It's a pity, though, that you cannot name a file "Important:
read/send" for instance, because it "disallows" some characters in
file names. Windows, even the later releases, will not let you forget
there's DOS underneath.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SADudek)
Subject: Linux und S3 Trio Chip
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:02:14 +0200

Hi,
I'm a new SuSE Linux  6.1 user. Is there a chance to support my graphcard
(Terminator 128/3D glh) ? I don't only want to use the standard VGA16
driver.

bye

thanx in advantage.

------------------------------

From: "Phil Jirsa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster live
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:10:02 -0500

Unfortunately, this card is not supported in linux. Hopefully a driver will
be available soon. (I'm waiting for it too)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7fk752$lbn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about getting a  Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live,
Does

From: Dan Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RAID Level 1 errors, need advice...
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:00:27 -0500

Can someone decipher these messages for me?  My RAID 1 device has worked
smoothly for 6 months but suddenly has given me errors and I don't
completely understand what they mean.  Is one of my drives failing?  Is
it just bad sectors?  Why doesn't the RAID device just mark the sectors
bad and keep going instead of disabling the drive?  Interestingly, it
seems to disable just after the SCSI tape backup starts. ???  Thank you
in advance

Dan Warren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is the setup:
Pentium 350 / 128 Mb SDRAM
Adaptec 2940UW
2 Seagate ST34520W 4.5Gb SCSI-2 hard drives
Red Hat 5.2 (2.0.36)
Raidtools-0.5beta1

Errors:
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id
15, lun 0
, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 41 af 45 00 00 26 00
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: Current error sd08:11: sense key
Medium Error
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered
read er
ror
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:11, sector
4304682,
 absolute sector 4304745
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: RAID1: Disk failure on 08:11,
disabling device
.Operation continuing on 1 devices
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: raid1: 09:00: rescheduling block
2152341
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: md: updating raid superblock on device
08:01,
sb_offset == 4441856
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: md: updating raid superblock on device
08:11,
sb_offset == 4441856
Apr 21 00:05:10 andromeda kernel: raid1: 09:00: redirecting sector
2152341 to an
other mirror

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.scsi
Subject: Re: SCSI help!!
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:31:40 -0700

**Nick Brown wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Ken Rogers wrote:
>> Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
>> for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.
>
>Yes, but it's the card she has.

Right and that's why it should be replaced by a PCI busmastering SCSI
controller like a 2910C.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Fan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Programmers are gods
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:03:55 +0800

For myself, I tend to put comments at the beginning of each
function saying what is to be done.

I also use longer variable names to make the code as
"self-documenting" as possible.

Another thing is that I absolutely HATE long functions.  Have you ever
tried to match the 'end' of an 'if' statement when it is some 200
lines above and beyond your editor window's viewport?

Andrew :)

------------------------------

From: Hong Yu Lu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sparc printer in linux
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:01:09 -0400

I have a sparc printer which I want to connect to Linux system. Does
anybody know this kind of info(driver...)? Thanks.

Hongyu Lu

------------------------------

From: Andrew Fan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3dfx VooDoo3 OffTopic
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:23:50 +0800

Voodoo                  3D only on PCI bus (needs another 2D card)
Voodoo2                 3D only on PCI bus (needs another 2D card)
Voodoo Banshee          2D/3D on AGP/PCI bus (standalone)
Voodoo 3                2D/3D on AGP/PCI bus (standalone)

Of course, if you can find a Voodoo 3 on a PCI bus, you can use it
as an add-on card to your current AGP one.

Andrew.

------------------------------

From: "Young Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Mount Sony DVD ROM
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:13:35 -0700

Could you tell me how to mount this one?
I tried to mount it and it says "the kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom as
a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)"

dmesg shows that
hdc:  weird character and Q for several lines
and it says ATAPI Type 17 - Unknown device

Thanks,

Young Lee

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:54:45 +0200
From: Tobias Westerblom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson stylus 740 driver

Hi!

I have tried the uniprint driver for my Epson Stylus 740 and find it
excellent but I have some questions regarding the use of colored ink:

When is the driver using colored ink (not black)? Does the driver always
use black ink for black text for example?
Can I force the driver to use only use black ink? I have tried to use
the "-dupColorModel=/DeviceGray" as an extra option to ghostscript from
printtool in RH5.2, but it doesn't seem to work. Should I alter the .upp
files instead?

/Tobias W

------------------------------

From: "rgraham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: WANTED: Opinions on Solo 9100 LS vs. Inspiron 7000
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:12:14 -0600

Morgan Pittkin wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Well, solaris is a proprietary system, so I think you can only run it on
sun
>machines. but I know linux is definitely compatible with either. Both are
>nice laptops.
>
>simonson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:7fj0nf$6b2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I am looking for a desktop replacement in the form of a laptop or
>> portable PC. I am currently considering either a
>> Gateway 2000 Solo 9100LS or a Dell Inspiron 7000 though
>> I am open to other suggestions.
>>
>> Since I use the Solaris operating system heavily at work, I
>> would like to ideally be able to smoothly run this os on the
>> laptop. Baring that I would be happy with Linux.
>>
>> I am interested in hearing experiences and opinions on either of the
>> above machines as well as the compatibility of Solaris and Linux with
>> these machines.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your input.
>>

>> Jonathan Simonson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That's not entirely true. I've seen reports of people getting their x86
laptops to run Solaris but with a few shortcomings i.e. lack of pcmcia card
support and video problems.

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ES1879 AudioDrive
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:24:46 GMT

This may sound stupid.. but I believe that the chip "IS" a ESS-1879.. which
is probably backwards compatible with the ESS-1878 and others... Linux has
support for these chips, usually using the Sound-Blaster-pro compatible
portion of the chip.  I have a Compaq desktop system with the same chip and
it works fine.  RedHat 5.2 automatically configured the plug&play and set
it up for me..
--DavidM

Andrea Borsic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ++ USB and LInux ?? ++
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:28:45 GMT

Best of my knowledge there are a few USB projects going on but there is no
"official" support for USB at this stage.. Sorry.  You're only chance is to
try one of the experimental packages and be on the bleeding edge..
--DavidM

Philippe Vandekerckhove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hi,
>
> Since I'm new to Linux, I was wondering if there is allready a
possibility
> to have USB working under Linux ?
> I'm running SuSE 6.0 with kernel 2.2.0 and KDE 1.1, and have a HP4100C
USB

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: On-board sound chip?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:26:40 GMT

The trouble is that it is probably plug&play.  In this case even with a
compatible module it needs to be initialized.  I don't know how to do this
under SuSe.  It is easy with the "sndconfig" program under RedHat.. the
other option, if you are a rocket-scientist, is to try using the pnp
package for Linux.. pnptools or whatever it is called.. I went braindead
after a few days of trying to get a PnP soundcard to work under slackware
and installed RedHat instead..

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in article <7fk01r$agd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I've got an on-board sound chip that is supposed to be 100% Sound Blaster
> compatible (and under DOS it appears to be). Nonetheless, I can't get it
> work under LINUX even when I compile sound as a module instead of
compiling
> it directly into the kernel. I'm running SuSE 6.1 with kernel 2.2.6. If
> anyone knows some tricks to get this to work with an on-board chip,
please

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to backup 18GB web server?
Date: 23 Apr 1999 02:41:50 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Poynor) writes:

> Okay, I'll bite. What kind of DAT/setup are you using to backup 24GB?

Assuming 2:1 hardware compression, any DDS-3 DAT (HP, Sony, Seagate, WangDAT)
tape drive should be able to back up close to 24G (12G non-compressed).  My HP
drive gets 80-100 meg/minute using IBM 9zx (10k rpm) disks with cpio.  I
haven't actually dumped 24G, but that is the rated value.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
174 Littleton Road #3-198

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Intel 440GX Chipset
Date: 23 Apr 1999 02:46:30 -0400

Hefin James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anybody know if Linux supports the Intel 440GX Chipset?
> We are just about to purchase 4 high spec servers, and we are undecided
> whether to stick with the 440BX chipset, or go for the 440GX Chipset.

My Linux came up with no problems on a dual L440GX+ motherboard (dual 500 Mhz
Pentium-III's).  I use the 2.2.5 kernel (2.0.36 as shipped by RedHat 5.2 also
works).  The Adaptec 7896 scsi driver and Intel EtherExpress 100+ that are
builtin to the motherboard both work.  I can't say anything about the builtin
video support, since I have a Diamond Viper 550 on it (using the 3.3.1 X
server) and it disables the builtin video card.

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Scanner Please advise
Date: 23 Apr 1999 02:53:19 -0400

Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
> I have been trying to buy a scanner here in Britain.
> Every time I go in a store they talk about Windows.
> I keep saying "Is it the software or the hardware
> that needs Windows?"
>
> The guys in the stores seem to be as brain dead
> as all the windows only devices.
>
> Can anyone say if scanners will be Okay if they
> are SCSI or might they still not work?
> I have an Adaptec 1542 card with a small Hard
> drive and CDRom drive attached and am hoping
> to buy a cheap scanner to work on my system.
> I am run slackware 3.5 ( kernel 2.0.34 )

Look at:

        http://www.mostang.com/sane/

for the software and hardware recomendations.  I personally use a Umax 1220S
plugged into a TekRam 390U scsi controller.

From: Ronald Benedik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,list.linux.x11
Subject: Re: Need Help With Xwindows !!!!!   Xfree86 3.3.3.1 And Creativelabs Nvidia
TNT
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:36:14 +0200

PeeWee wrote:

> hi ,
>
> I have a Big Problem , With My Nvidia TNT From CreativeLabs.

I have the card. I used XF86Setup. The card isn't listed therre but I've
selected RIVA TNT. My system does work with that selection. AGP doesn't
matter for Linux.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Fan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for coments on Initio SCSI controllers
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:12:06 +0800

  Just want to let you know that I don't think the Panasonic CW-7502
CD-R drive likes the Initio 9100U chipset.  Haven't try other
SCSI devices because I have none other - time to go shopping, I guess.

Andrew :)

Q: How does a CD-ROM cleaner cleans the lens without touching it?

------------------------------

From: Andrew Fan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,list.linux.x11
Subject: Re: Need Help With Xwindows !!!!!   Xfree86 3.3.3.1 And Creativelabs
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:21:22 +0800

  I have an ASUS V3400TNT/TV card and I also use the Riva TNT driver
in XFree86-3.3.3-1 without problems.  I used XF86Setup immediately
after updating to XFree86-3.3.3-1 and did not bother with
Xconfigurator.

Andrew :)

------------------------------

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:47:59 GMT

In article <7fo0r8$1r14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> In article <7fna5u$id1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Now you are getting into the real problem.  Unless you are re-inventing
> >> an old wheel, the reference/specification document is almost certain
> >> to have serious flaws that aren't known until you get into testing.
> >> Sometimes it is considered poor taste to change them at that point
> >> even if they never had much relationship to reality.
> >
> >Faintheart!  If you just hack everything out of thin air, you have no
> >real way of knowing when you've got it right.  My docs are
> >before-the-fact; they state what *will* be.  They form the "contract"
> >that the program has with the rest of the universe, and it is the
> >implementors job to see that that contract is fulfilled.
>
> But if you implement something new, you will almost certainly learn
> something in the process that wasn't known in the design phase.
>
> >It is a different way of programming that happens to be much easier to
> >demonstrate the correctness of.  It also clearly separates out what
> >are features (and feature changes) and what are bugs (and bugfixes.)
>
> If you contract by the job, I suppose you can justify not applying
> what you've learned until the next job, but if you are planning to
> stay and support the product isn't it better to get it right the
> first time?

Not starting to code until the design is fixed, and then sticking rigidly to
the design documents is one approach. Another is to code around the problems
as they arise and to ignore the design documents when they are wrong. By the
ned of the project, the design documents can be retained as a kind of
superstitious ISO 9000 ritual, with no relationship to the code.

The right way to do it is to update the design where needed, so that at the
end of the project, the design documents match the code produced. This sounds
simple but it is very difficult to do.

J.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James R. Van Zandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scanners
Subject: Accessing SCSI scanner with sane under Linux
Date: 23 Apr 1999 07:53:30 -0400

I am trying to get a new HP 6200C scanner running under Linux.

I have a 90 MHz pentium with an Adaptec 1542CF SCSI adapter, with only
a SCSI disk and the scanner on the SCSI bus:
   poet:/dev# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
   Attached devices:
   Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor: HP       Model: C3323-300        Rev: 4269
     Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
     Vendor: HP       Model: C6270A           Rev: 3828
     Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I have configured a 2.2.5 kernel with generic SCSI device support:
   poet:/dev# cat /proc/devices
   Character devices:
     1 mem
    14 sound
    21 sg
    67 coda_psdev
   128 ptm
   136 pts

   Block devices:
     1 ramdisk
     2 fd
     7 loop
     8 sd
    23 mcd

The devices look okay (at least for root access):
   poet:/tmp# ls -l /dev/sg?
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   0 May 27  1997 /dev/sg0
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   1 May 27  1997 /dev/sg1
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   2 May 27  1997 /dev/sg2
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   3 May 27  1997 /dev/sg3
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   4 May 27  1997 /dev/sg4
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   5 May 27  1997 /dev/sg5
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   6 May 27  1997 /dev/sg6
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   7 May 27  1997 /dev/sg7

I have installed the Debian sane package, version 1.00-1:
   poet:/dev# scanimage --version
   scanimage (sane) 1.0

find-scanner succeeds:
   poet:/tmp# find-scanner
   find-scanner: found processor "HP C6270A 3828" at device /dev/sg1

I have edited the configuration file.  Here are the uncommented lines:
   poet:/dev# cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
   hp
   pnm

However, scanimage -L does not report the scanner:
   poet:/dev# ls -l scanner;
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Apr 22 21:07 scanner -> /dev/sg1
   poet:/dev# scanimage -L;
   device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
   device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device

I tried setting /dev/scanner to each of the /dev/sg? devices in turn,
with the same result.  Actually, strace indicates that /dev/scanner is
never accessed.

I have checked out these scanner URLs:
   http://www.linuxsoup.com/docs/sane.html
   http://www.mostang.com/sane