Linux-Hardware Digest #91, Volume #13            Thu, 22 Jun 00 16:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others' (Paul Bristow)
  Re: Thinkpad A20m Sound Card (Chris Rauschuber)
  LS-120 Drive ("Steven Gilbert")
  Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution (Ancipital)
  Redhat 6.2 Sound Card woe (Alan.J.Thackray)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 740 (Wolfgang Fritz)
  Re: Athlon problems (Ancipital)
  Re: Modems (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: ES1371 -- any good ? ("Michael Brooks")
  Re: LS-120 Drive ("Graham Staker")
  Re: Mustek scanner (Harald Schioeberg)
  Re: ES1371 -- any good ? (John Culleton)
  Re: ES1371 -- any good ? (Dances With Crows)
  Your favorite CDROM drive. (John Culleton)
  Re: Your favorite CDROM drive. (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ??? (John Culleton)
  Re: Your favorite CDROM drive. (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Modems (Edward Lee)
  Re: Your favorite CDROM drive. (John Gluck)
  Num Lock & Linux (Wilbert Kruithof)
  Getting RH Linux to recognize ATA66 IDE controller (Charlie Zender)
  Re: [LhD] Are the rumors about Linux compatibility issues with Athlon motherboards
just rumors or are they true? (R M F Swanson)
  Re: ATI Rage 128 (James C Randall)
  Re: LS-120 Drive ("Mark Langsdorf")
  Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ??? ("Chris Harshman")

From: Paul Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:25:25 GMT

"douglas.r.herbert.1" wrote:

> The D-Link DE220 is not really plug and play, it just looks an acts like
> it is. I inherited about 15 of these and had the same problem.  First off,
> get the setup program from windrivers.com.  To make it work, boot up in
> FreeDOS or some other DOS, and run the a:\setup\setup from the driver
> disk, and then change it to the correct io and irq.  I think the default
> on most of them was io=320 and irq=10.  This program will rewrite the rom
> on the card. Reboot, and configure linux accordingly.

And set the card to non-PnP mode.  Then all will be fine.

Paul

Web:   http://paulbristow.net
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:   #11965223

------------------------------

From: Chris Rauschuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 5col.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Thinkpad A20m Sound Card
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:20:09 -0500

You should also check IBM's support page.  I got the same (bogus)message from
sndconfig, but with the config specs from IBM, I was able to get it running.  I
ran the alsa setup, but I'm not sure if the correct driver was already
there(cs4232).
Just follow the directions in the alsa documentation and setup /etc/conf.modules
correctly.
Mine has this line:
options cs4232 dma=1 dma2=0 irq=5 io=0x530
The IBM page has a script that you can put in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d to start up the
drivers on boot.

Regards,
Chris

BTW-this was on a 600E

------------------------------

From: "Steven Gilbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LS-120 Drive
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:31:36 -0700

Help I have an LS-120 drive in a system that I am running linux redhad 6.2
on.  I can't seem to mount the LS-120 drive does anyone know what to do.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ancipital)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:49:32 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:11:14 +0100, "Richard Clafton"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A man of my word - for all you techies out their who would like to build
>themselves a 1U Server to their own specification, we now have available a
>BARE BONES kit with 1U Case, PSU, Motherboard and Floppy Drive - rack
>mounting kit and all other accessories.

I have to say that this is one of the nicest bits of non-spamming and
totally on-topic marketing that I've ever seen :)

I'll certainly consider you as a source for rackmount bits and bobs.

Impressed.

Ancipital- Inedible Buddhas reality control #1
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.

To unmung email addr, get rid of "nospam-" and maybe even "-thanks"

"I'm not crying victim, but I am stating that a lot of spammers
are genuine scumbags." -Sanford Wallace

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan.J.Thackray)
Subject: Redhat 6.2 Sound Card woe
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:53:53 GMT

Using a Gravis Ultrasound MAX, tested OK using sndconfig.

After a kernel rebuild however

insmod gus fails

there are warnings about unresolved symbols in gus.o !
when doing a depmod -a

Well I think I ticked eveything necessary during
make xconfig, but it looks like I have some low level
driver missing.

Any idea what ?

I had the same problem with a soundblaster Vibra16

TIA

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Fritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 740
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:24:33 +0200

"Eric J. Shamow" wrote:

> Grant Taylor wrote in message ...
> >Is your parallel port in fact up and running?  Examine the various
> >files under /proc/parport to see.
>
> I suspect you're right - my cursory glance at /proc/parport/0 told me
> everything was fine, but a slightly less exhausted eye noticed that Linux
> was failing to assign either an IRQ or DMA to the port.  I've got the BIOS
> configuring the port for me...am I missing something?
>
> >  Also, the HOWTO has this to say:
> >
> >   Some Linux distributions don't ship with a properly setup
> >   /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules), so the driver isn't
> >   loaded properly when you need it to be.  With a recent modutils,
> >   the proper magical lines from modules.conf seem to be:
> >
> >     alias /dev/printers lp             # only for devfs?
> >     alias /dev/lp*      lp             # only for devfs?
> >     alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc  # missing in Red Hat 6.0-6.1

in my /etc/modules.conf I have
alias parport_lowlevel    parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
alias char-major-6        lp

In kernel 2.2.16 the dma=3 entry seems to be ignored, the IRQ is set OK.
In kernel 2.4.0-test dma and irq are both set.

> >The parport_pc one in particular must be present, or it pretty much
> >won't work in most cases.

What does lsmod show after trying to print
Here it mine (2.2.16):
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc              7400   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5380   0  (autoclean)
parport                 7320   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

> Yeah, I caught that in the HOWTO - it *was* missing initially, but it's long
> been corrected to no avail.
>
> Thanks - if you've got any suggestions as to why the IRQ and DMA assignments
> are failing to show, they'd be appreciated...but in any event, you've given
> me someplace to look.

The printer IRQ and DMA in /proc/interrupts and /proc/dma are only
displayed after you have tried to print and the modules have been loaded
properly.

If you don't assign an IRQ, the printer driver uses polling. That works
but gives higher system load during printing.

You can also try to compile the parport and lp drivers into the kernel.

Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ancipital)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Athlon problems
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:26:54 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:49:42 -0300, Jim Chisholm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Don't happen to have a G400 video card do you?
>Athlon700 + G400 = tempermental (IMHO)

How so? This box (athlon 800 on an asus k7v+Single head 32 meg g400)
is impeccably behaved..

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems
Date: 22 Jun 2000 12:56:20 -0400

"Andrew Bates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have had a request to set up linux for someone. They right now do
> not have a 56K modem but wiah to add one. The only catch is they
> need a PCI modem.

do they not have any free serial (rs232c) ports?

> Which modem would you suggest for the easiest install

external, of course!

--
johan kullstam l72t00052

------------------------------

From: "Michael Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ES1371 -- any good ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:56:44 -0500

I have a Creative ES1371 (Ensoniq AudioPCI) which I do not use any more.
The AudioPCI card is okay for business applications and does have inputs for
two CD-ROM drives, but it does not support real 3D sound like most modern
games use.
I bought a cheap I/O Magic sound card with the Aureal Vortex Advantage chip
so I could have A3D sound in games.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Graham Staker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS-120 Drive
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:37:35 +0800

Find out the device name - most probably /dev/hdb since it is an IDE device.
Create the directory /mnt/floppy or something similar,
then mount -t /dev/hdb /dev/floppy.

Hope this helps.

news:8itf2t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Harald Schioeberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mustek scanner
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:48:04 +0200

mark carroll wrote:

> I am running kernel 2.2.14 and have a Mustek TwainScan II with its ISA
> SCSI adapter card.
>
> Am I right in thinking that I stand no chance of getting this scanner
> working usefully without buying a 'real' SCSI card? If so, what would
> be a cheap and reasonable choice? Anyone who has got one of these
> working under Linux, using sane or whatever, please let me know. (-:
>
> -- Mark

This card usually use some Adaptec Chip restricted to one device and
without
boot-bios. If you have one of these:
Use the aha152x kernel-driver
Alter /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/Makefile
in the following line:
CFLAGS_aha152x.o =   -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF
CFLAGS_aha152x.o =   -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF -DSKIP_BIOSTEST
to get the driver work with your biosless card. Recompile and install
the module ;)

--Harald

------------------------------

From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:09:41 -0700

Michael Meding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I am looking into performance comparisons with different sound
cards.
>Is there any difference using different sound cards, ie.
interupt
>frequency, processor time spend or whatsoever.
>
>Please cc me if possible.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
>Regards
>
>Michael

I bought the Ensoniq card (ES1371) because it was cheap. For midi
I had to install external samples. It does not have built in
samples. But it serves my purposes, including playing midi files
and listening to radio stations with Realplay. Be advised that
the card and its software drivers do not follow the conventions
of the other sound cards and things like /dev/sndstat are
irrelevant to this card.

HTH

John Culleton

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 22 Jun 2000 14:16:45 EDT

[posted and mailed]
>"Michael Meding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I am looking into performance comparisons with different sound cards.
>> Is there any difference using different sound cards, ie. interupt
>> frequency, processor time spend or whatsoever.
>>
>> Please cc me if possible.

To add a data point, playing a 5-second .wav on an ES1371 generates about
800 interrupts and takes 0.03s of CPU time on my K6-2 400MHz, while
playing the same .wav on a CS4236 generates about 16 interrupts and takes
the same amount of CPU time on a P-150.  Not sure precisely what that
means, but the CPU load from playing sounds alone seems pretty
negligible... running mpg123 causes the load to jump by about 0.1, but
most of that is the mp3-decoding process, not the piping of audio data to
the soundcard.

I think this will be true for most applications, as playing raw audio data
does not require nearly as much bandwidth/processor involvement as hard
drives or even a parallel port.  (CDDA quality: 44.1KHz * 16 bits * 2 =
172.2 KB/sec)  You can still get good sound out of an ISA card, for
example.  The main problem will be the translation the CPU must do to get
the data into raw PCM form or MIDI, I think.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

Subject: Your favorite CDROM drive.
From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:15:57 -0700

I may be shopping for a new cdrom drive in August. Of course it
has to be Linux-friendly. I not that some write cdroms and some
rewrite cdroms. What is the difference?

Anyone have any favorite beasties that they would like to
recommend? Cost is of course a factor  ;-)

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Your favorite CDROM drive.
Date: 22 Jun 2000 18:26:36 GMT

John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I may be shopping for a new cdrom drive in August. Of course it
> has to be Linux-friendly. I not that some write cdroms and some
> rewrite cdroms. What is the difference?

Err, "write cdrom" is an oxymoron.  CD-ROM stands for Compat Disc Read
Only Memory.  You are talking about CD Recorders and CD ReWritable
drives.  CD-R(ecorder) drives can only write onto CD-R media, which, once
burned, cannot be erased and rewritten.  But you can read a CD-R disc
in just about any CD-ROM drive (even older ones) or standard audio
CD player.  A CD-RW drive can write on CD-RW media, which, as its name
implies, can be erased and re-written.  The trade-off is that
CD-RW media is more expensive than CD-R media (although RW drives can
also write R media) and RW disks cannot be read in older CD-ROM drives
or any audio players (the reflectivity of the disks is much lower).

> Anyone have any favorite beasties that they would like to
> recommend? Cost is of course a factor  ;-)

Well, I like the Plextor SCSI models -- very high quality drives.  But
they are more expensive.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ???
From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:28:59 -0700

Slackware can be downloaded over the net and installed in bits
and pieces -- A series is required, then there is N series for
communications and so on. Or you can buy the Slack 7 cdrom.
Minimum you need a boot diskette, a root diskette, and the A
series to do initial install and get going. I ran Slackware on
minimal machines for years.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 22 Jun 2000 14:40:23 EDT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:15:57 -0700, John Culleton
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I may be shopping for a new cdrom drive in August. Of course it
>has to be Linux-friendly. I not that some write cdroms and some
>rewrite cdroms. What is the difference?
>
>Anyone have any favorite beasties that they would like to
>recommend? Cost is of course a factor  ;-)

If you want cheap, you'll almost have to go IDE.  Any IDE CD-ROM will
work, but stay away from anything that advertises transfer rates faster
than about 24x.  They're *lying* if they think they can get anything
faster, and drives that spin faster than 24x are A) noisy B) spin down
after about 15s, then take 10s to spin back up, resulting in much higher
latency for many normal tasks.  You can pick one up for about $30 or
so; check http://pricewatch.com/ .

CD-RWs are a bit different.  I've had excellent luck with a Philips 460
CD-RW, bought for $180 8 months ago.  It's "only" 4/4/16x, but I think
their newer models are 4/4/24x for the same price.  You should probably
stay away from the Iomega ZipCD; it doesn't quite follow standards and so
cdrecord isn't always happy.  Read the CD-Writing HOWTO and check
pricewatch again if you want something like this.
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:18:58 -0700

Send them to me if you don't want them.  I'll paid for the shipping.

------------------------------

From: John Gluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:07:37 -0400

John Culleton wrote:

> I may be shopping for a new cdrom drive in August. Of course it
> has to be Linux-friendly. I not that some write cdroms and some
> rewrite cdroms. What is the difference?

CD-ROM is read only (that's what thr ROM part means)
CD-R means CD Record  (write once then trash)
CD-RW means CD Rewritable. (write, erase, and write again)

If you can afford it, SCSI is the best choice.
You should get a drive with the largest memory buffer possible
especially if it's CD-R or CD-RW. This will minimise the chance of
buffer underruns when writing.

Yamaha has a very good rep. I have a SCSI 6416 and am very satisfied.

> Anyone have any favorite beasties that they would like to
> recommend? Cost is of course a factor  ;-)

Cost sould be the lowest on your list of priorities.

--
John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

------------------------------

From: Wilbert Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Num Lock & Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:20:45 +0200

I had the problem with Redhat 6.0 en now also with Redhat 6.2.
        If I boot the computer, numlock is on after the BIOS start. When I boot
Windows it stays on. But when I boot Linux, it goes off. And I have to
set it manually.
        Is this problem known, if so, what´s the fix?
        It may has to do something with the keyboard. Dutch keyboard and
settings.
        Who´s knows it?

Thanks,

Wilbert

P.S.
A friend of my has the same problem.

------------------------------

From: Charlie Zender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Getting RH Linux to recognize ATA66 IDE controller
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:27:45 -0700

Hi,

Redhat linux 6.2 will not install on my machine, it quits installation
procedure with the error "No valid devices were found on which to create
new filesystems". I have it from a helpful netizen that the problem is
that lilo does not know how to find the ATA66 controller, and the suggested
fix is booting with "linux ide2=0x1080" and eventually
adding a line to lilo.conf like so:

>The bottom line is that Linux cannot find the ATA 66.
>Here's what the core of my lilo.conf eventually looked
>like after I got things installed:

>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>       label=linux
>       append="ide2=0x1080"
>       read-only
>       root=/dev/hde5

>other=/dev/hde1
>       label=dos

Before I try this solution I have some questions:
1. Is this solution safe? Is it alway ide2? How do I know whether
to use ide1 instead? What if I'm wrong with that hex address? Will
it trash my windows partition?

2. Is this a generic problem with ATA66 controllers? with just
the Promise ATA66 controllers? Is the problem fixed in kernel 2.4.0.test?
Or should I just assume the problem will still be in 2.4 and install
Redhat 6.2 now?

3. Is there a better solution? e.g., making a driver disk with the
"right" ata66 module on it?

Thanks,
Charlie

 Here is my hardware description

--
Charlie Zender [EMAIL PROTECTED] (949) 824-2987/FAX-3256, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R M F Swanson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [LhD] Are the rumors about Linux compatibility issues with Athlon
motherboards just rumors or are they true?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:27:06 -0500

My experience with K7 mboards and linux:

1.  I installed redhat 6.2 on a SOYO K7AIA board with 550 Mhz Athlon, 20
GB WD drive, 48X CD, 128 MB PC100 memory, SMC EtherPower NIC, Guillemot
Cougar video. Dual boot with win98. No problems.

2.  I (tried to install) redhat 6.2 on a Tyan S2380 board with a 750 Mhz Athlon,
256 MB PC133 memory, same video card, same NIC, dual boot with win98.  Very
unstable, both in linux and win98.  Not usable, RMA'd back to reseller.

3.  I (tried to install) redhat 6.2 on a ASUS K7V board with a 750 Mhz Athlon,
256 MB Corsair PC133-ECC memory, same video card, same NIC, dual boot with
win98.  First, machine won't even POST with bios set to use ECC memory.
Second, too unstable to even really install linux or windows.

4.  I (tried to install) redhat 6.2 on a different ASUS K7V board with a
different 750 Mhz Athlon, same 256 MB Corsair PC133-ECC memory, same video
card, same NIC, dual boot with win98.  This is apparently stable, but I
can't yet get it to work with the NIC, nor will the NIC work with win98.

Found this news group in trying to find out if I should drop back from trying
the PC133-supporting mboards.  There are sure a lot of problems being reported
by users of asus K7V boards, in Windows -- not much mention of linux,
either way.

RSw
===========================

------------------------------

From: James C Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:40:31 -0400

Warren Gross wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem with my ATI Rage 128 (XPERT 2000)
>
> I installed Redhat 6.2 (xfree86 3.3.6) and it found and configured
> the card properly. I get video that appears ok, but whenever I move
> a window I see a lot of strange video noise appearing as vertical bands
> running from the top to the bottom of the screen. They are relatively
> evenly spaced.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem? Is the card ok?
>
>     Warren

I've seen similar situations on my RH 6.1 using XPERT Rage.......But
ONLY when I have the mouse in the window.   Once I move the mouse....the
bands go away.  (But as I use that system as a server.......I'm not really
too workied about.)

------------------------------

From: "Mark Langsdorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:36:51 -0500

"Steven Gilbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8itf2t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Help I have an LS-120 drive in a system that I am running linux redhad 6.2
> on.  I can't seem to mount the LS-120 drive does anyone know what to do.

    First, you need to determine if your LS-120 is on the primary or
secondary
IDE controller (or where it is on your SCSI chain) and whether it is the
master or slave device.  Your BIOS should provide this information.
    Then put a disk in the drive and type

'mount /dev/<whatever> /mnt/floppy'

    where <whatever> is hda for the primary master, hdb for the primary
slave, hdc for the secondary master, and hdd for the secondary slave.
    That should do it.  If it doesn't, you'll need to rebuild your kernel to
make sure that IDE floppy support is enabled.

-Mark Langsdorf

------------------------------

From: "Chris Harshman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:44:58 -0700

For that kind of hardware, take a look at the Soft Landing System (SLS)
distribution, as that hardware will be more than enough to accomodate that
distro with plenty of room to grow.  We've been running SLS on an AMD
386sx/40 with 4MB RAM and an 80MB hard drive, and we're only using 17MB of
space on the drive (not including swap)!

;-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...