Linux-Hardware Digest #125, Volume #10           Fri, 30 Apr 99 14:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: EPSON STYLUS 740 CONFIG + ROCKWELL INTERNAL PCI MODEM (John Thompson)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Daniel R.
Tarsky")
  xwindows<> monitor DSM 28-172EY refresh rates (mikel)
  non-edo memory where, how much? (oak)
  Re: Linux and UDMA (Rod Roark)
  Re: dhcpcd error with 3com 3c900 (Eric)
  Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous? (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Exabyte 8200 issues (John Thompson)
  FIC 2013 Compatability ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH and Dell Precision 610s (Dean B. Cookson)
  Logitech MouseMan Wheel (Bruno Daniel)
  Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous? - Peltier elements (Jens Schmidt)
  Re: GET REDHAT 6.1!!!! (Chudman)
  Re: ATI Rage Fury (Carlos Wexler)
  Another problem ("John van der Zanden")
  Mustek ScanExpress 12000SP, SCSI and SANE (luca78)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (The Ghost In
The Machine)
  Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous? ("David B.")

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EPSON STYLUS 740 CONFIG + ROCKWELL INTERNAL PCI MODEM
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:24:59 -0600

Christopher James Smith wrote:

> Does anyone know how to configure the ghostscript print filters (Version
> 4.0?) under RedHat 5.2 to print at 720dpi on an Epson Stylus 740?  If so,
> please reply.

If you update your ghostscript package to v5.10 or newer it
includes support for the Epson Stylus Color printer series.
Is there a reason you need to use v4.0?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Daniel R. Tarsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:33:32 -0700

westprog wrote:

> In article <7g9pdc$h78$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > >This is fine if there are thirty files in one directory; not so good if you
> > >want to find a file hidden among thousands in a lot of nested directories.
>
> > find . -type f -print | grep -i filenamewithoutcase
>
> > Of course, you either put this into an alias/script, or use the lazy version
> > (assuming GNU find)
>
> >   find | grep -i filenamewithoutcase
>
> This is an excellent example of why developers like Unix so much. It is fast
> and compact, and it will work as expected.
>
> It is also only suitable for a very small number of people. It is quite
> intuitive for programmers, engineers and scientists; it would be
> incomprehensible to artists and linguists.
>
> J.

i'm an artist and a linguist, and i find Linux to be my artistic Nirvana, my
lingual caviar. and it irons shirts well, too!

------------------------------

From: mikel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xwindows<> monitor DSM 28-172EY refresh rates
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:01:24 +0200

==============F8DB3B715D32EFF5BEE0A2F9

i have problems configurating mij  xwindows i can find mij horzontal and
vertical refresh rates for mij monitor

ik have a DSM 28-172EY from olliveti (complete system is PCS/P100 en)

i think te manufacturar type is CDU 1764GE/GS01

i allready looked on the internet but can't find anything

can anyone help me ??????

please mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============F8DB3B715D32EFF5BEE0A2F9

i have problems configurating mij&nbsp; xwindows i can find mij horzontal
and vertical refresh rates for mij monitor
en)

From: oak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: non-edo memory where, how much?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:15:56 GMT

I have an old 486DX2 that I need memory for. I'm pretty sure it's non-edo
because it's so old so I'd like to know where I can get this sort of memory
and how much it would cost. Is it worth buying non-edo memory or will it cost
the same werer I to buy a new motherboard and buy less expensive edo memory?
Also, on this type of machine would it be parity
or non-parity? How to tell - is it on the chip?
How could I tell how many pins it is? count them? measure?
Lot of questions eh?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tony

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and UDMA
Date: 30 Apr 1999 14:18:39 GMT

Chunky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have been tinkering with a RH5.2 Install with a 2.0.36 kernel on a P2B
>system with a Quantum fb ex 6.4 hd with UDMA.
>
>I suspect a lot of the problems with HD errors is because of UDMA which I
>have since disabled. When did the linux kernel start supporting UDMA? and is
>this the possible cause of my disk errors?

I have put together many P2B systems using UDMA.  Works great.  If you're running the
bus at
some speed other than 66 or 100 Mhz, try the normal settings and see if that resolves
it.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dhcpcd error with 3com 3c900
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 11:17:07 +0000

Keith W Sheffield wrote:

> I have a 3Com 3c900 pci ethernet card that works under Windows 95.
>
> However I get the following error when I try running dhcpcd 0.70 on
> Linux:
>
> ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS (ifConfig): Try again
>
> I am running 2.0.36 and here is what is displayed when the machine is
> booted:
>
> eth0: 3Com 3c900 at 0xe800, 00:50:04:72:46:7b, IRQ 9
> 8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay Autonegotiation
> interface.
> Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
> 3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

ok it seem your card is correctly detected by kernel : good !

> Could it be that I have an IRQ conflict or something?
>
> I'd like to get this resolved ASAP so I don't have to use Windows.

Zindows really sucks !

> Every man's work is a portrait of himself.
>
> Keith Sheffield [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have the same problem with dhcpcd 0.70, then it vanished when I
upgrade to dhcpcd 1.3.available at ftp://ftp.phystech.com/pub/

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:15:46 +0200

A month or so ago I discovered that both of my system's fans (main and
CPU) had died.  The box is a standard mini-tower.  Inside is a Pentium
MMX 166 overclocked at 187, 128 MB of memory (4 x 32 MB SDRAM), three
hard disks, and five PCI/ISA cards.  I don't know how long the fans had
been dead for, but it could well have been several days.

Anyway, everything was still working, so I was lucky (the room
tempearture was perhaps only 15C/59F, which helped), but the disks were
red-hot - I didn't dare _touch_ the CPU !  Needless to say, I got two
new fans.  The main fan is now huge (recycled from a large Alpha server)
and noisy.  When I have the CPU case open (quite a lot of the time right
now...) I sometimes just open the window to the room (mmm... hard drives
love pollen) and unplug the main fan.  When the case is closed, that big
mother keeps everything cold enough to chill drinks with.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Exabyte 8200 issues
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:20:44 -0600

Paul Thompson wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]
>
> The 8200 was infamous for its buggy scsi implementation and other problems.
> Some commercial OS's (AIX and OpenVMS are two, as I recall) have specific
> patches to deal with this drive.

I seem to recall that Exabyte has a firmware upgrade that
addresses at least some of these issues.  Check their web
site, in any case.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FIC 2013 Compatability
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:05:55 GMT

I am considering building a new computer based on,
FIC 2013 motherboard W/2MB cache
AMD K6-2 400
128 Mb RAM
AGP Graphics card (not sure which one)
This would have to run Windows but I plan on
having 2 Hard Drives and running LINUX also.
Are there any known compatability problems
with this setup?
Anything I should look out for?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dean B. Cookson)
Subject: RH and Dell Precision 610s
Date: 30 Apr 1999 15:19:57 GMT

One of my sysadmin staff has volunteered to trade his Ultra2 in for a
decently spec'ed linux box and I'm trying to come up with a box
similar to his Sun.  Does anyone know if RH (5.2 or 6.0) will run
on one of the dual proc 610s, like the 500 or 550 MHz PIII Xeons?

| Dean Cookson /  [EMAIL PROTECTED] / +1 781 271-2714| DoD #207  AMA #573534 |
| The MITRE Corp. Burlington Rd., Bedford, Ma. 01730 |Kot NML,B,KotLD2 / DW 2|
| "and the pter--pyter--Big Flying Ancient           |'92 VFR750F/'94 Jeep YJ|
|      Death Thing" -Justin Sheehy                   |   DoDHS #1 / N1WDH    |

------------------------------

From: Bruno Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech MouseMan Wheel
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:55:39 +0200

Hi mates

On page http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/ Colas Nahaboo
explains how to configure wheel mice under X. I'd like to give a small
addition concerning Logitech's MouseMan Wheel:

If you want to configure the side button as the middle mouse button and the
wheel for scrolling, it's best to use this mouse as the serial mouse (using
the serial adapter). Include the following pointer section in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IntelliMouse"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate        1200
   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Resolution      100
   ZAxisMapping    2 5
   Buttons         5
EndSection

(I'm not quite sure about the BaudRate, the Emulate3Timeout and the Resolution
stuff).

Include the following line in your .xinitrc:

     xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 4 3 2 5"

Set the Xdefaults for the programs as described on page
   http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Use the mwheel.el emacs-lisp file in emacs and xemacs:
   ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/elisp/mwheel.el

Since X supports only 5 mouse buttons, it isn't possible to use the wheel as
a button (if pressed down). A workaround is thinkable: Mapping the wheel
pressed down to some keyboard events which could then be used in applications.

Yours sincerely
  Bruno

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 04:55:20 +0100
From: Jens Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous? - Peltier elements

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would like to get rid of the cooling fans in my computer (cpu and power
> supply) since the noise bothers me (I want the computer to be totally silent;
> I already know how to spin down hard discs). Here's what I need to know:
>
> - Where can I get silent coolers to replace those fans? E.g. Peltier elements
> or radiators. They should preferably be as cheap as possible (definitely less
> than $100 for replacing all fans).
>
> - If completely silent coolers are not available for cheap, where can I get
> the cheapest (working) very-low-noise, heat sensor-controlled fans?
>
> - If I simply toss out the fans without replacing them by anything, what will
> the consequences be? If the cpu gets too hot, will it be destroyed immediately
> or stop working in time for me to detect that something is wrong?
>
> The computer is never on for more than a few hours, the environment
> temperature is moderate (<80 F in summer, typically about 60 F), and I could
> live with the computer crashing every now and then; I could not live with the
> computer going up in flames (no pun intended). All operating systems that I
> run support "idle"-cooling of the processor. And the installed hardware is
> pretty minimal, so the power supply would not get hot too quickly.
>
> All responses appreciated: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi guys, any of you have one of those cool/cold water dispensers in the office ?
most of them use Peltier elements !
Very efficient cooling, if you are _not_ worried about money.

Have a cool one, Jens

--
  Linux Cube puzzler

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chudman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: GET REDHAT 6.1!!!!
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:15:19 GMT

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:50:25 -0500, Tim McDonough wrote:

>: The amusing thing about dodo-head spammers like this is that they =
cross post
>: to groups that probably have the highest density of very talented =
hackers
>: than of any other newsgroups aside from those specifically devoted to =
the
>: craft of hacking. When they persist, they usually get tracked down and
>: rolled into some cyber back alley and end up wondering why their hard =
drives
>: and BIOS get hosed. It's a jungle out here. ;)
>:=20
>:  __
>:=20

Well, it's been proven that brains aren't a requirement for spammers
or criminals......

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Subject: Re: ATI Rage Fury
Date: 30 Apr 1999 17:06:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gianni Mariani  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>WWWait ...
>
>ATI has agreed to help with the Linux TV Tuner project.  They are friends and
>can be made to co-operate.  Just make it politely known that ATI should help.
>If you want ATI Rage Fury help, I'd contact the maintainers of XFree86 and see
>what you can do to get ATI support.

No, they may have been friends of Linux in the past.  But the most updated
server for XFree is still Mach64... which, I believe, has none of the most
advanced accelerations possible with Rage, Rage II, Rage Pro, or Rage
Fury.  What about the TV out ports? Nope, they do not work.  What about 3D
acceleration?  Bzzzz! Doesn't work either...  If the specs were out I'm
sure they would have been incorporated into the newer X servers.

Buy something else.

Carlos

From: "John van der Zanden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm,nl.comp.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux.installat
Subject: Another problem
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:27:07 +0200

Under xwindows the RPM manager was available. I don't know what happened but
it is gone. Can someone tell me how to get it back under Xwindows that is ??

Thanx

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (luca78)
Subject: Mustek ScanExpress 12000SP, SCSI and SANE
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners,comp.periphs.scsi,linux.dev.scsi
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:12:20 +0200

  Hello. I bought a Mustek ScanExpress 12000SP SCSI scanner three days ago, to
use it in GNU/Linux with SANE. I heard it was supported... but the included
Domex controller was not known by the kernel nor by the patches. So I borrowed
from a friend an Adaptec AVA-1505AE ISA Plug&Play controller. The Adaptec
is recognized by the kernel and seems to work. The kernel also sees there is
the scanner, but this is all. There is no way to communicate with it, neither
by writing directly to /dev/sga. scanimages dumps core, and find-scanner hangs.
  I am not sure whether my problem is due to the SCSI configuration or to the
scanner firmware version (2.02).
  Booting my system, a modified RedHat 5.0, after setting the ISA PNP devices,
I see many (debugging?) messages which I do not understand: can you please
help me at least with this?
  The messages are repeted twice, before and after the ISAPNP setting; this is
their text:
aha152x: ignoring spurious interrupt, nothing to do
QUEUE STATUS:
issue_SC:
current_SC:
none
disconnected_SC:
waiting: SCSISEQ(); SCSISIG (DATA OUT); INSTAT (lo); SSTAT (BUSFREE
PHASECHG);
SSTAT (); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (); SELID (00), SSTAT2 (SEMPTY );
SFCNT(0);
 SCSICNT(0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4 (); DMACNTRL0 (16BIT PIO REWD ); DMASTAT
(DFIFOE MP)
enabled interrupts ()
  When I try to access the scanner, it seems dead.

  This is my /proc/scsi/scsi:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SCANNER  Model:                  Rev: 2.02
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS

  And this is my /proc/scsi/aha152x/0:
Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
ioports 0x0140 to 0x015f
interrupt 0x0b
disconnection/reconnection disabled
parity checking disabled
synchronous transfers disabled
0 commands currently queued
enabled debugging options: (abort) (reset)
queue status:
no not yet issued commands
no current command
no disconnected commands

waiting: SCSISEQ (); SCSISIG (DATA OUT); INTSTAT (hi); SSTAT (BUSFREE
PHASECHG ); SSTAT (BUSFREE ); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (); SELID (00),
SSTAT2 (SEMPTY ); SFCNT (0); SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4 (); DMACNTRL0
(16BIT PIO READ INTEN ); DMASTAT (DFIFOEMP )

enabled interrupts (ENBUSFREE )

  This is not an hardware problem, becouse it works under Windows, with both
controllers. But I _must_ be able to use it under Linux.

  I would like to have an answer soon, because if my problem had no solution
I could try to return the scanner and get another model; but if I want to
do in this way, have to hurry up.

  Thanks you in advance.

--
 .      -   #####         +      . ****  luca78  ****       +       .
     +      #--O_O     .        e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]        .

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 30 Apr 1999 17:42:12 GMT

On 29 Apr 1999 16:12:15 -0400, Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) writes:
>
>> Why ban colons?
>
>bash$ mkdir /tmp/foo:bar
>bash$ PATH=/tmp/foo:bar:$PATH

Yep.

There are also issues on MacOS, as my understanding is that ':'
there is analogous to '/' or '\' on other systems -- it delimits
the names in a directory or file pathname.

(It's possible they've changed that, though.  :-) )

[.sigsnip]

----

From: "David B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:40:57 -0400

No matter what device you use you need to introduce cool air to the case and
expel hot air, only way I know how to do that is with fans, would be an
interesting race to see if the cpu or power supply would die first. ( I
would put my money on the cpu)

--
David
<<This poster reserves the right to be incorrect on occasion>>