From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott J. Bertin)
Subject: Re: Creative WebCam II support
Date: 29 Aug 1999 03:59:37 GMT

        Pat Finnegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is there any support/projects developing support for the parallel
> version of the Creative WebCam II?  I just got one and I want to stay
> away from WinBlows as much as possible.

You're in luck, there is.  Check http://home.eunet.no/~jtotland/vision/
I was playing with it today and it needs some work yet, but it is better
than nothing.

Scott J. Bertin

From: Ken McCord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: micro-channel
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:13:13 -0400

Chris Mahmood wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe) writes:

> > >yes, it's a compile-time option in 2.2
> > >-ckm
> >
> > Wrong.  How can one compile if stock red hat 6.0 won't install on mca?
> Sorry about that.  I haven't looked at redhat in a couple years and
> assumed they offered an mca kernel during installation like SuSE does.
> >
> > You need suse 6.1.
> Good advice.
> -ckm

Debian 2.1, even better :^)
Part of the normal distribution, no patching or updating needed.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SoundBlaster16 not working in Redhat6
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:15:08 GMT

I just installed redhat6 for the first time.. everything is working
great except sound.  I have a soundblaster16pnp card.  I run sndconfig
and it does detect my card but I think it's having a conflict with one
of my other cards (my guess is my network card).. here's what happens
with sndconfig:

A PnP sound card was found in
your system. The details
are:
Model: Creative SB16 PnP

There is already a file called
/etc/isapnp.conf. The existing file
will be renamed /etc/isapnp.conf.bak
and a new file will be written.

 There is already a file called
 /etc/conf.modules. The existing file
will be renamed /etc/conf.modules.bak
and a new file will be written.

Then it tries to play a sound and I get this error:

The following error occurred running the isapnp program:
/etc/isapnp.conf:79 -- Fatal - resource conflict
allocating 8 bytes of IO at 2E8 (see /etc/isapnp.conf)
/etc/isapnp.conf:79 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted
while device activated
/etc/isapnp.conf:79 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing
request '<IORESCHECK> ' --- further action aborted

Since I am new to linux I am not sure how to trouble shoot this.. what
files would I need to look at to try and resolve this problem?

In the conf.modules the first lines refer to my network card:
alias eth0 tulip
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

Then my sound card stuff follows:
alias sound sb
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x240 irq=7 dma=0 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300

The isapnp.conf file is too big to list here..

Anyone have any help for me?

Thanks,

Daniel

Btw.. I am new to linux but not new to unix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: WinModem on VMWARE for Linux ... Workable solution?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 03:09:51 GMT

On 28 Aug 1999 21:31:28 GMT Cyrus Mehta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Crazy idea, but will VMWARE running on a linux Box with a guest OS of Windows9X,
>be able to dial in with my WinModem and establish a PPP connection with my ISP.

Assume this was possible . . . doesn't VMWare cost *more* than a real
modem?
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Modem US Robotics 56K v.90 INT
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:22:41 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:23:28 -0400, Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:

>> Does anyone know how to configure the  US Robotics 56K v.90 INT..
>> I had configured the isapnp.conf file and Linux has recognized it, but I
>> cannot access the modem in any port...
>> Any help will be very much appreciated.
>You more then likely have a winmodem (sounds like the exact model i have).
>To get it to work in linux, throw it out and buy a full modem, not a
>SOFTWARE modem.  Make sure you ask for one that is not a software modem, it
>will be about $20 more then a $30 winmodem....but its well worth it....I'm
>stuck with mine unfortunatly :(

I have a USR 56K V.90 voice+fax (model 5685), and it works.  I don't have
any other PnP devices in my machine so I just turned off the motherboard
"COM1" serial port but left the "COM2" port enabled and told the BIOS I
had a non-PnP OS.  It automagically sets up the modem using the standard
DOS "COM1" settings.  Linux detects it as if it was a non-PnP device.

$ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0
1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0 CTS|DSR
2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3

The modem works in all of the advertised modes.  I have never tried
installing the Linux PnP drivers on this system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox G400
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:09:53 -0700

I don't have a Matrox G400, BUT I've been told that the Multi-Monitor
support DOES work.  The card simply shows up as TWO graphics
cards (display :0, and :0.1).  Really, the only problem I know of thats
keeping me out of the G400 market is the fact that Linux/MESA doesn't
support the 3D features of the card....  features which make all the
other
cards (namely the Nvidea, and Rage128 cards) look like <bleep>.
Matrox dominates the video card market as always!  Unfortunetly
we won't see 3D support, or dedicated Linux drivers for the G400
for awhile because there are several groups still working on 3D
acceleration for the G200.

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: SB Live with SuSE 6.1
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:02:28 +0200

Pedro Sam wrote:

> ok...  this may not apply to you, but this works on my slackware 4.0.
> I've tried sblive.o and the emu10k1 driver and they work fine.
>
> here it is:
>
> I'll paste in the reply I gave to the other gentleman about getting the
> driver working with anything other than 2.2.5.  Assuming you're using a
> newer kernel you need to use insmod with the -f option to force the
> module
> to load.  As for the two programs at once, I'm afraid I can't help you
> with
> that.  I'd take a guess that as the driver code is still reasonably new
> it
> just doesn't support that function yet, but I may well be wrong.
> Good luck,
> Bp.
>
> You'll need to add the following lines to the rc file that loads modules
> on
> your system (rc.modules under Slack, I'm not sure for others)

/etc/conf.modules for SuSE

> insmod -f sblive.o
> insmod -f soundcore.o

Not nescessary to use -f on the soundcore and the current driver is called
emu10k1.o
Actually, just have a look at my Linux-SB Live!
webpage: http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme
MBr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: 29 Aug 1999 00:15:38 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:41:28 +0800, Tristan Jones wrote:
>i found that the easiest way to get "linux to go away" is to dig up a copy
>of red hat, start the install and use disk druid to delete partitions. then
>use a dos boot disk (or a win95/98 one) and type:
>
>fdisk /mbr
>
>lilo will be removed and your disk(s) completely empty.

If you've a bootable MS-DOS disk with fdisk, the above can be a very simple
thing to do. Run fdisk and delete all those non-DOS partitions, change that to
Win95/98 partitions and run fdisk /mbr to clear up LILO code inside your master
boot record.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: win 98 and nt crashing but linux is not on o/c'ed computer? what gives?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:31:27 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:53:47 -0700, "xrongor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:

>this is a guess, but its probably the ram that's failing.  windows uses a
>different method to access the ram than linux does and i know from
>experience that bsod is often attributable to bad ram.

On other thing to consider is how each OS is driving the CPU.  Your Linux
kernel may have the "CPU idle" feature of the Advanced Power Management
module enabled.  Windows runs the CPU at 100% all the time unless you
install a third-party CPU-idle program in your task bar.  CPU idle tasks
have been known to make quite a difference in machine reliability at
higher clock settings.

Of course, you could prove or disprove this theory by letting a
high-priority task run for a few days and see if your Linux also crashes
when the CPU is running at 100% for extended periods.

------------------------------

From: "Steven K. Iinuma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:21:22 -0700

Thank you, but I downloaded the XFree86 server.
Hmm..however, you gave me a clue.
I'm going to keep Windoze since I will need it if I need to play
certain games that don't run under Linux.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.x.general
Subject: Can't detect Adaptec AVA 1505
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:31:00 GMT

I have an Adaptec AVA 1505 SCSI card but my red hat linux 6.0 can't detect
it.. i/o is 0340 and irq is 11.

I tried put modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
it doesn't work.

also put append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" in /etc/lilo.conf

didn't work either..

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Jean Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help!!!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:30:43 -0400

Can't get pass the blue screen welcoming me to red hat linux

machine is 486-100Mhz 540megs hd with 24 megs ram
netcards are 3c503 and 3c509 video is S3 trio64
also i cannot get the install to boot vmlinuz from diskettes
have to use the CD to start with the nofloppy option

what am i doing wrong?????
HD has dos partition 75 megs and rest is free

Help

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound: Sound Blaster Live !Value and Red-Hat 6.0
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 06:53:04 +0200

Scott Nipp wrote:

>     I sure wish that Creative would get off there cans and release a new
> driver, or at least respond to my inquiries about one.  The latest driver is
> OK, but I cannot play either Civ:CTP or RailRoad Tycoon II because the driver
> for some strange reason causes the X-Server to restart.  This driver also
> makes .au files sound like garbage.
>     If Creative is following the newsgroup, PLEASE let us know what is going
> on with SBLive driver development for Linux.
>
> Matt Schmill wrote:
>
> > Just hope that you aren't using the SMP kernal like I am. It won't install
> > if you're using the SMP kernal. I hope they fix it to work with SMP.

> > > Creative have a linux driver for it. Version two of that is relased -
> > > seems people are happy with it (i don't use SBLive myself)
> > >
> > > http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/

To get Civ:CTP working, remove write access to either /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp1..
This is a temporarily workaround, until soundcard detection get's fixed in
Civ:CTP..

For more info on Linux & SB Live!: http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme
Manuel Beunder (MBr)

------------------------------

From: John C Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: scsi symbios (chipset sym53c416)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:04:07 -0500

Hi, the reason that you can not find the link for the Symbios Logic
support is
that about a year ago Symbios Logic was sold to LSI Logic.
The scsi cards and chips are still being made and a support link exists.
  Try www.lsil.com

                                        John C Houston

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Bowling)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: S3 Virge DX Chipset
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 05:47:41 GMT

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:28:40 GMT, Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have searcghed Deja and am now a bit confused.  I have a Diamnond
>Stealth 3D 2000 Pro video card with 4MB RAM and the S3virge DX
>chipset.  What is the most stable X server to use?  I want the highest
>resolution possible.

If you are not allergic to commercial offerings for Linux, I am running an
S3 Virge DX/4mb video card with the v5.0 Accelerated-X drivers from
XiGraphics and they kick ass. Go to www.xig.com and download the test
drivers to see for yourself.

------------------------------

From: Carl Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: anyone get a canon bjc5000 workik?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:41:06 -0700

I just aquired a canon bjc 5000 and I'm haven't been able to get it working if
it matters I'm using rh6.0. on which I have been using a canon bjc 4100
sucessfully

Thanks, Carl Alexander

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Fire GL 1000 pro
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 05:30:59 GMT

David Luong wrote:
> Can someone who is using this card under Linux help?

You may also want to check
http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.cgi?DISP?25
And, of course, if you figure out how to solve this problem, contribute it
as a workaround!

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com