From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Choi)
Subject: Seeking advice for a new machine
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:49:20 -0400

Hi,

I'm interested in using linux on an intel box to run a
MOO for educational purpose.

Can someone give me some general advice?

1)  Are there particular platforms that work better or
    worse than others?  Any particularly good or bad
    for linux?

2)  Is any version of linux significantly better or
    worse than another?  I'm thinking of just going
    out and buying Red Hat for convenience.

3)  Are there any issues related to flavors of MOO that
    work better with linux and, specifically, linux on
    an intel machine?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.  Please email

Sam

comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,redhat.hardware.arch.intel,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.prog,comp.os.linux.m68k
From: "Alex Balboa (HPTi|crimmins) <balboa>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux installation on Generic box
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:51:51 GMT

==============4BAF929A2D2109F9E0C3CAF1

I am currently trying to install Redhat 5.2 Linux on the following
system configuration:
System board brand: Tyan ATX S16820 Tahoe 2 ATX (Pentium II PCI ATX)
CPU: Pentium II 266 MHZ (dual) with 512 K of cache)
Memory: 512 MB EDO (GENERIC)
Floppy 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST19171W (SCSI:1 drive at 4 GB and 6
additional ones at 9.1 GB)
CDROM: Toshiba XM-5701TA (12-Speed Fast SCSI2)
Tape Drive: HP C5133A
Network Card: Intel EtherExpress Pro (32Bit PCI 10/100 BT)
Video Card: Matrox Millenium (8MB)
Sound Card: Creative Lab SB AWE 64 Gold (ISA 20 Bit 4 MB)
SCSI Adapter: Adaptec (2 of them) model AHA 2940 U/UW
Zip drive: IOmega 100MB SCSI
JAZ drive: IOmega 1GB SCSI
PCMCIA card reader:  ANTEC DESCARTES 761345-64113

I was wondering if some one has installed Redhat 5.2 Linux on such a
system and, if so,
please advise on any special procedures or drivers for any of the above
components that I would need.
Thank you in advance (please forward your replies to the newsgroup and
my email)
Sincerely,
Alex Balboa

Alex Balboa, Ph.D.                  939-I Beards Hill Road, Suite 193
High Performance Technologies, Inc. Aberdeen, MD  21001-1734
Integrated Modeling and Testing     Phone: 1-410-297-8567
Programming Environment & Training         1-410-278-7536
ARL PET MSRC                        FAX:   1-410-297-9521
Senior CTA Analyst                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============4BAF929A2D2109F9E0C3CAF1

&nbsp;
system configuration:
additional ones at 9.1 GB)
system and, if so,
components that I would need.
and my email)
<pre>--&nbsp;
Alex Balboa,
Ph.D.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 939-I Beards Hill Road, Suite 193
High Performance Technologies, Inc. Aberdeen, MD&nbsp; 21001-1734
Integrated Modeling and Testing&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Phone: 1-410-297-8567
Programming Environment &amp; Training&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1-410-278-7536
ARL PET
MSRC&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 FAX:&nbsp;&nbsp; 1-410-297-9521
Senior CTA
Analyst&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 URL:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET">http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET
</a>---------------------------------------------------------------------</pre>
&nbsp;

==============4BAF929A2D2109F9E0C3CAF1==

comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad BARCLAY)
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: 12 May 99 20:35:43 GMT

In <7hbsks$upu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> If what you're talking about is the idea of "objects" (such as files
>> and
>> commands or programs) being understood by the OS and having properties
>> and actions encapsulated together, considder the r&d that is being
>> done with the GNOME project and it's use of CORBA interface ideas.
>
>I'll go and look at it at once.

     Of course, what GNOME is trying to achieve is exactly what the OS/2
WorkPlace Shell did achieve was back in 1992, and has been refined multiple
times since.  The WPS is a fully OOUI based on SOM - IBM's CORBA ORB system.

     And it's quite a fair bit more advanced than Gnome is in terms of
OO-ness, for both users and developers.  And as an added bonus, OS/2 has the
fastest JDK v1.1.7 implementation available :).

     Everything you're looking for describes OS/2 to a T - it may be worth
your while checking it out.

Brad BARCLAY

===============
>From the OS/2 WARP v4 Desktop of Brad BARCLAY.
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WWW: http://yaztromo.idirect.com
Public PGP Key available upon request.  [ ] VoiceType Dictated.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:05:11 -0400
From: sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony AIT 300C: Linux Driver?

Hey, does 2.0 or 2.2 support the Sony AIT 300C on SCSI?

Millions of thanks.

------------------------------

From: Brian Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP c1504 DDS tape drive
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:18:48 GMT

Has anyone ever tried to use an HP c1504c DDS-1 DAT drive in an Intel
machine with Adaptec 2940 and Linux?  I'm having trouble getting the
Adaptec to see the tape drive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Brian Hostetter

------------------------------

From: charlg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide 0 :irq timeout
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 22:22:48 +0200

        I've just installed Linux on my PII, 6.4 UDMA HD Samsung 6.4 Go,
on ide Primary master and i'm disappointed :
i've got very often this message, which freeze my HD, and sometimes
never end :

hda : irq timeout : status = 0xd2 { Busy }
hda : disabled DMA
ide0 : reset : success

and then :

hda : irq timeout : status = 0xd2 { Busy }
ide0 : reset : success
hda : irq timeout : status = 0xd2 { Busy }
ide0 : reset : success

Now, I can't boot Linux, because of this problem.
Help me !!

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI ZIP Drives
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:22:49 -0500

Curtis Newton wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999 11:53:10 -0500, "Benny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Have you tried msdos.
> >
> >Robear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:7gj94p$80q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>Well, I've read a lot about Parallel ZIP Drives but I have a question about
> >>a SCSI ZIP drive.
> >>
> >>My RedHat 5.2 recognises it, assigns a device to it BUT I can't read/write
> >>to it because I don't know what FILESYSTEM it uses.
> >>
> >>Can someone shed some light on this?
> >>

> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip
>
> -
> --
> -----------------------------------
> Curtis Newton
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://cnewton.home.mindspring.com
> -----------------------------------
>
> Due to USENET spamming, I had to modify
> my reply to email address.
>
> Please delete  ".remove"  to reply.
>
> By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
> the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
> unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
> Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
> punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
> is greater, for each violation.

I am having problems too. I have a zip 250 parallel port drive. I have formated
a disk and my system does recognize it as sda4. But when I try to mount the darn
thing I get the message that sda4 is either not a block device or that sda4 is
not found in fstab or mtab. I have used insmod imm. By the way I'm using RedHat
6.0 and have my Zip on it's own parallel port which I added.
steverl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Subject: Re: ext2 not recognized on floppy
Date: 12 May 1999 16:53:46 GMT

Thomas Hartmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi everybody,
:
: I installed Redhat Linux  5.2. I can mount my floppy when I insert a
: MSDOS formatted disk or the Linux boot disk. But when I format a new
: disk with fdformat and then try to mount the drive, Linux will give the
: following error message:
:
: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too
: many file systems
:
: this will be given even if I mount the floppy with mount -t ext2
: /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy (logged in as root).

fdformat only does a low-level format on the floppy.  You have
to create a filesystem on it, as well.  Try:

fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
mke2fs /dev/fd0
mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: Douglas Ritschel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:53:08 -0400

I am trying to use a Microsoft IntelliMouse as a wheel mouse. I made the
following changes to my XF86Config file:

       Section "Pointer"
            Protocol        "IMPS/2"        #change for your mouse type.
            Device          "/dev/psaux"    #change for your device.
            BaudRate        1200            #This is probably not
needed!
            Resolution      100             #And neither is this!
            ZAxisMapping    4 5             #This is necessary!
            Buttons         3               #Use this instead of
Emulate3 stuff!
        EndSection

I downloaded imwheel-0.9.6.tar.gz, and did make install.

Then ran: imwheel -k.

When I restart XFree86 (I have version 3.3.3.1, the mouse pointer jumps
all over the screen.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Onstream Tape Drives
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:26:39 GMT

In article <7hc6pa$gs4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johannes Niess) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >OnStream does have plans to support our drives on Linux servers.
> >Currently, we are working with Ehnahced Software Technologies, Inc.
as
> >part of their Linux Tape Certification program to develop and test
> >support for our drives with BRU for Linux. Availability of drivers

        How about generic support for Linux?  Why limit it to support for one
back up application?  I would like to just beable to use tar.

Patrick

From: diahedrial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dials modem but Browsers can't find it?
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:02:30 -0700

rprescott wrote:

>     I am a relative Newbie. Running Linux as a hobby on my triple boot
> system (NT 4.0 server, Win98, and RH 5.2). I am running RH 5.2 with
> 2.2.6 kernel and Gnome 1.0 with Enlightenment DR 0.15 on P120.
>
>     I set up my modem to call my ISP. This part works, and examining
> /var/log/messages shows me that I am logged in to my ISP, authenticated,
> and have received an IP from them. This was done using pppd, with the
> /etc/ppp/options file, edited to call my ISP. Minicom will also call my
> ISP and I am able to log in through it at the command line with no
> problem. However, Lynx, Netscape, ftp, or gftp seem unable to find this
> link to the outside world. Basically they tell me there are no DNS
> servers available, no matter what I try to access. I am also completely
> unable to access my ISP's mail or news servers, even though ifconfig
> still shows me connected.
>
>     I would gladly RTFM if I knew where to start. In that other OS
> world, as soon as you are logged in to the ISP then you can use any old
> browser or client you want and you don't need to tell it how to find the
> modem. Do these Linux browsers need to be told this basic item, and if
> so, where does this info need to be.

Any OS needs to have the IP address of the DNS server(s) for
your ISP! or you will never find anything by it's domain name.
Check your "/etc/resolv.conf" file, if you haven't added the IP's
for your ISP's DNS server(s), add them here. If you don't know
what they are, contact you ISP for the information.
Try "man resolv.conf" for details...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ??? HP DESKJET 720C and linux ???
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:06:07 GMT

Grant,
I am agree that the pbm3ppa do running H 720C and also 710C, I have one
but I have problems to print anything except postscrip test printing
with printtool (Red Hat 2.0.36).
With shell command Lpr and Lpc answer are Lpr: lp: Unknown Printer
Do you have an answer on this problem ?
Cedric

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J A)
Subject: Re: Dual M/B recommendation please + rant on Shuttle 649a
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:01:42 GMT

I have the Shuttle HOT-649A and I wouldn't recommend it.  Here is what
I have noticed:
Drawbacks:
-Anand's reviews about the board having oddly placed connectors and
jumpers are true, but still doable.
-Overclocking is limited because Shuttle "says" that with jumpers you
can increase the CPU core voltage by 10%, however with jumpers in
place as prescribed I can not get higher than 5%.
-300$ or something

Nice features:
-Onboard Adaptec 7890 dual channel ultra-wide, and LVD scsi. (works
well with my 4.5G 10K LVD cheetah
-w87830d health chip or something...get board stats (lm_sensors for
linux works well)
-BIOS is nice, but it "says" you can change the bus speed in bios, but
I say that is B.S. because I tried them all.
-operates bus speeds up to 150MHZ (requires removal of factory jumper
to get above 83mhz)
-4 SDRAM slots (PC100)

I had such HELL overclocking celeron 300a's on this machine, that I
haven't put them in dual yet.  And in fact, one of my two celerons
(guaranteed overclockable from www.axiontech.com when they sold them
with this guarantee) will not overclock past 464mhz because I assume
2.10 volts core isn't enough to support it. (2.12 is the absolute
highest the core V has ever gotten - fluctuates up and down during
operation +- 0.4V- average around 2.07V with an occasional 2.12v)  But
the "if removed warranty is void" sticker came off with the heatsink
so I couldn't return it.  It was definitely the good crop of celeron
300a's so I don't mind I guess.

If I bought again, I wouldn't even consider a Shuttle motherboard.  To
me, 10% Core voltage is 2.20volts.  Bloody hell.  BLOODY HELL.  I
second the recommendation or Asus p2bd or p2bsd or whatever it is.  I
should have gotten one of those.  The gigabit board looked good too,
but I think Asus gives you better overclocking control.

I am tempted to buy another board and to build a system (that has a
better vcore control) that I can put my black sheep celeron 300a in.

------------------------------

From: Douglas Ritschel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No DRQ after issuing write
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:41:43 -0400

I keep getting the following error messages on a RedHat 5.2 machine.

May 11 11:47:22 taihu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
May 11 11:47:22 taihu kernel: hdb: disabled DMA
May 11 11:47:22 taihu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
May 11 11:47:22 taihu kernel: ide0: reset: success

Does anyone know what would cause that?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AHA 153x SCSI, where can I find it
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:30:32 GMT

Hi
I'm trying to install on an IBM THinkPad with an
AHA153x / AIC-6370 PnP SCSI adapter, but
I don't find it in the list on my Red Hat 5.2 CD

What shall I doooo.

Torfinn Kåringen

From: Bernhard Brueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How to low-level format a SCSI
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:30:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Albert Wiersch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How can I low level format a SCSI drive on my remote Linux system?

> I don't want to have to physically go to it to do so (want to do it through
> telnet). I think the SCSI BIOS has a format utility, but I would like a
> Linux program to do it. Can't access the SCSI BIOS from here.

> The drive doesn't have any useful files on it right now... I would just like
> to low-level format it and then set it up as a backup drive.

http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/MIRROR.tsx-11/
ALPHA/scsi/scsiinfo-1.7.tar.\gz
or you favourite tsx-11 mirror nearby.
With scsiinfo you can low-level-format scsi-disks and change a lot of
parameters of the drive as well.

Bernhard

--
=================================
Bernhard Brueck

From: Robert Bernecky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "read XX" and backspace key in console vs in X solved
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:05:13 -0400

I asked some time ago why backspaces in "read XX" in shell script works
fine in
non-X mode (acting as character delete), but fails in XFree86.
I eventually figured out (from reading the "keyboard and console HOWTO")

that delete and backspace are set up wrong (in the HOWTO author's
opinion
and in my opinion...) in X. In spite of them working properly in non-X
environments, X appears to remap those characters silently. The fix I
adopted
was to place an
   stty erase ^H
in /etc/profile.local. I think you could also put in your own .bashrc or

,profile or /etc/profile, depending on your taste. My understanding is
that /etc/profile.local is the best place for this if you want;

 a. the change to apply to all users
 b. the change to stick when you upgrade linux, as an upgrade may
    overwrite /etc/profile, but is not supposed to touch
/etc/profile.local.

Someone please correct me if the above is wrong, and let me know
what The Right Way is, and Why.

This was in SuSE 5.3.
Bob

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Problem
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:43 +1000

Try dropping the speed of the divice id (scanner ) down to 10/mb/s

As I don't think it will like running at 40mb/s

Tony