Linux-Hardware Digest #220, Volume #11           Fri, 10 Sep 99 03:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Using linuxconf question (Chris)
  Re: NEED ADAPTEC 2940u DRIVER (David Cooley)
  Re: zImage ("Daniel P. Gelinske")
  Re: scsi controler(AVA-1502) HELL! (David Cooley)
  Re: UDMA problem? (David Cooley)
  Re: Ethernet 100 vs 10 BT (Bryan)
  Re: Please help: Can't use external SCSI devices !? (David Cooley)
  CD burner suggestions? ("Rick Carlson")
  Re: Changing Monitor Resolution (The dude)
  Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212 for playing CD's ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: scsi controler(AVA-1502) HELL! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: CD burner suggestions? ("Rick Carlson")
  device to /dev/sd* binding, and other Q's (Fred Christiansen)
  Re: Q? - best combo of linux distrib and apps for 3rd world (B'ichela)
  Re: NEED ADAPTEC 2940u DRIVER (Mircea)
  Scanner for RH5.2? (me)
  Ditto 2G Paralel Port/ Ftape Driver ("Bob")
  Re: SONY SuperStation 10GB IDE Tape Drive. ("JL")
  Re: AOpen FM56P PCI Internal Modem (help needed!) (Mircea)
  CD ROM Treiber ("Maik")
  Re: LINUX and SCSI Adaptec AIC 7890 ("Super Pete")
  Re: Ethernet 100 vs 10 BT (Eugene Blanchard)
  <<< FS:  Cisco 1601 router & ATL 1540 csu/dsu >>> (meeble)
  Re: Please help: Can't use external SCSI devices !? (M. Buchenrieder)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Using linuxconf question
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:24:22 GMT

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 01:55:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
comp.os.linux.hardware:

>I'm a Newbie and have installed RH Linux 6.0 as the only OS on system.
>I am now trying to setup the protocols for card so I can connect with
>other systems in my Home Area Network.  Will I be able to see the
>Linux machine on my other puters using Windoze?  When I try to use

Yes, assuming you install Samba.  Samba is a reverse-engineered module
that allows Linux to participate in a Windows network.  Depending on the
network addresses and netmasks of your other computers, you may need to
configure them to use a WINS server.  Samba can act as a WINS server.

>Linuxconf I go to the IPX to enable card, but I'm not able to activate
>because Linuxconf drops below the end of screen.  How in the heck do I
>move the Linuxconf up so I can get it to activate?  This may seem like
>a silly question but Linuxconf is not maximized and takes up whole
>screen anyway.  I am using an 800x600 resolution.  Also, we have a

You have three choices: Tell your X server to use a larger virtual
resolution (in which case the screen will scroll when your mouse gets to
the edge); stop X and use the curses-based linuxconf from a text screen;
or use linuxconf via the http interface (http://localhost:98) and your
favorite web browser.

You probably don't want to activate IPX on Linux anyway.  The world is
moving to TCP/IP (and soon IPv6).  You would probably be better off if you
removed IPX from your Windows machines and used TCP/IP on them as well.

>cable modem connected to a hub with 4 puters plugged in.  Will I be
>able to access the cable modem with Linux?  If so, how?  Thanks to all
>for any response.

Yes.  The configuration requirements will depend on both the version of
Linux you are running and the protocols supported by your ISP.  In most
cases you can simply install a DHCP client into Linux and it will get its
IP address from the cable service automatically.

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEED ADAPTEC 2940u DRIVER
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:43:53 -0400

dja7 wrote:

> Where can I find it ?

It's the AIC7xxx driver in Linux

------------------------------

From: "Daniel P. Gelinske" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: zImage
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 21:25:54 -0700

Stephan wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Would appreciated if anyone can tell me how to make zImage and
> first.hdimage.
>
> Regards,.......
> Stephan,.........

Installing a new kernel in a nutshell:

When you get a new kernel, and you untar the tar archive, you go into
the linux directory it made (/usr/src/linux or something like
/usr/src/linux-2.2.xx) and you type 'make menuconfig'  You go through
the menu, see what you want your kernel to support, and make heavy use
of the "help" option, and when you got what you want you are done with
that step.  You exit menuconfig, and then you do a 'make dep'  after
that is done, you can 'make zImage' and the zImage file will appear in
the /usr/src/linux*/arch/i386/boot directory.  Then you can set it into
the /boot directory (if your old kernel is also called zImage, you will
want to move it to a new filename, ie zImage-2.2.2 for kernel version
2.2.2)  If your kernel is too big, you will want to "make bzImage"
instead.  If the "make zImage" dont work because the kernel is too big,
you can type "make bzImage" and it will compile fine.

And remember... if your kernel has a different name than the old kernel,
you will want
to edit lilo.conf to make it point to the new kernel.  After doing that
run /sbin/lilo as root.

I dont know anything about first.hdimage, but I hope that I was of some
help to you.

Dan

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi controler(AVA-1502) HELL!
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:55:50 -0400

Dave Nejdl wrote:

> Could you tell me where to find this paper. I searched my whole box and a
> couple sites but couldn't find it. Thanks a lot for your help.

http://www.mir.com/mtek/ava-hints.html

Give that a shot.

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA problem?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:57:33 -0400

Dale Pontius wrote:

> I'm still running 2.2.5-15, and have no UDMA kernel patches, but
> I'm getting a bit over 14 MB/sec for the Timing buffered disk reads.
> I was beginning to wonder if this was really UDMA, and that's what's
> real instead of 33 MB/s. It sounds like there's some untapped perf-
> ormance left, or is there?

Check DMESG.  SHould see the drives listed the 2nd time with C/H/S and
UDMA at the end if it's activated...  You can also use hdparm to see if
UDMA is on

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet 100 vs 10 BT
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:03:27 GMT

well, half-pulled ;-)

what the guy probably meant is that the pairs need to be properly
twisted with respect to each other for best 100meg operation.  with
10meg, it won't matter as much if the pairs that are -supposed- to be
differential (twisted) aren't actually twisted together.  but for 100,
it matters more.

the cable jacket has a bunch of twisted pairs.  if you are running
over 2 of the wires that are not twisted -together- (as a
self-shielding pair) then you lose some of the benefits to
differential drive, which is what 10/100 base T is all about.

David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Thomas Forlenza wrote:
: >
: > What is the wireing diagram for running 100BT cables?
: > Can someone point me to the right documents.
: >
: > I was informed that the pins need to be wired in a particular order for
: > the line to handle 100 megabit.  Is this true?
: >

: You had your leg pulled... It's wired identically to 10baseT, bt you
: have to ensure you run CAT5 cable to handle the bandwidth.

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please help: Can't use external SCSI devices !?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:46:32 -0400

"Gabriel L. Somlo" wrote:

> I have a 68-pin to Centronix 50 external cable, and after
> I hooked up the external CD-ROM drive, the SCSI bios would
> hang before allowing me to enter the SCSI-bios config. utility.

Been there, Done that...
Put the terminator resistor packs on the external CDRom... older devices
aren't self terminating.

------------------------------

From: "Rick Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD burner suggestions?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:27:00 -0500

I want to use re-writeable CD's for software backups.
I also want to be able to create installable CD's for software distribution.
Has anyone had experience with either of these operations?
I would like to buy a reliable CD burner that supports all current CD media.
Speed is not an issue, but reliability is (no 'coasters', please).

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

Rick

P.S. If reply by E-mail, remove the obvious.

------------------------------

From: The dude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing Monitor Resolution
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:32:19 -0500

Soltzer wrote:

> I'm a new linux user (as of this morning).  I'm running Redhat 6.0 on a
> P2-333 Dell XPS w/ a Dell D1025HTX 17" monitor and a Diamond FireGL 1000 PRO
> OEM video card w/ 8 megs of memory
>
> I have both GNOME and KDE installed (both are latest versions)
>
> My question is how to I change my monitor resolution, it is running at
> 640x480 right now.  I can't for the life of me find any controls or settings
> relating to this.  Any help would be _much_ appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Glen McWhorter
> =================================
> I'm so close to Hell I can almost see Vegas!
> =================================

I would suggest that you run Xconfigurator and not xf86config.
The Xconfigurator is the package that was run during installation and is
much easier to validate.

I personally have tried OpenLinux 2.2, RedHat 6.0, Mandrake 6.0
Debian, and now Suse 6.2.

Suse has them all beat hands down. It costs only $29 at best buy
and comes with 6 CD 's and a great installation program and
excellent manual.

I also purchased RedHat and it was OK but was not impressed.
The Mandrake was slick but never should have been released with all of
the bugs (Netscape 4.6, KDE base problems, and just unstable) The bug
fixes are up on their site and corrects the problems.

Later
Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212 for playing CD's
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:47:07 GMT

Does anyone know if the Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212 is supported by
Redhat Linux 6.0?  I don't need to play DVD's---just CD's.

Also, is the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 video card supported?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 05:06:37 GMT

Losing an IRQ happens sometimes when booting linux
with win hardware. You can't do much without an
IRQ! The good news is, some devices can be fixed
by booting into dos or win then using the loadlin
program to boot linux.

The idea is to stabalize the irq then boot linux
without resetting the hardware, I think you can
use an autoexec.bat file to do it automacically.

// George

In article <7r7anb$ngd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "David Nejdl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just got an internal scsi zip drive with the adaptec AVA-1502 scsi
> controler(zip zoom). I didn't get any manuals or anything with it. I
> reconfigured my kernel to include scsi, scsi disk support and the
aha152x
> driver. Then I went into windows nt to try and find out the irq and
I/O

From: "Rick Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD burner suggestions?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:30:21 -0500

In case it matters (although I would hope not):
I'm currently running Red Hat 5.2 (2.0.36 kernel), but I also work with a
machine running the latest Caldera (2.2 kernel).

From: Fred Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: device to /dev/sd* binding, and other Q's
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 18:35:28 -0600

Several questions, gentle readers, stemming from my experience
with Red Hat Linux 6.0:

1) For anyone familiar with HP-UX's ioscan tool .. Is there such a thing
   for Linux?  It would probably behave something like this:
        for each device file in /dev/sd*
            open device file
            if it could be opened
                send a test-unit-ready msg
                if the unit is ready
                    print host.channel.target.lun CLAIMED device file
                else
                    print host.channel.target.lun NO_HW device file

   Someone who _really_ knows ioscan could probably describe it better.

2) For a given hardware configuration -- adapters, SCSI devices -- that
   does not change from reboot to reboot, can I depend upon the binding
   between a given host.channel.target.lun and its /dev/sd? file
   remaining constant?  E.g., if scsi2.0.10.3 is associated with /dev/sdno,
   will that remain true from reboot to reboot if I don't change the
   h/w config?  My reason for asking is that a colleague tells me that
   Win NT 4.0 does not guarantee the mapping between port.bus.target.lun
   and \\.\PhysicalDriveX from reboot to reboot.  I'm concerned this may
   be a PC platform-ism, rather than an NT-ism, that could affect Linux
   as well.  A toolset I'm porting from a certain Unix to Linux and NT
   makes the assumption that things remain constant.

3) I wanted to create but one partition on a large-ish (4GB disk), and
   the docs for sfdisk suggested doing
        sfdisk <<!
        ;
        !
   It worked, but the results surprised me.  From reading the "sd" SCSI
   driver code, I was assuming it would do the 63 sectors-per-track,
   255 heads thing.  Instead, it created a partition with 32 spt,
   64 heads, and 4095 cylinders. (This was a fresh drive, previously
   unpartitioned.)  I can create an ext2 file system on it, mount it,
   create files, and so on, so things look cool.  When, then, does the
   63/255 thing come into play?  I'm not going to be booting from the
   extra drive(s), so I figure I don't have to worry about extended
   partitions, that one huge primary partition is OK.  Yes?
--
Fred Christiansen, a Canajan (Eh?) in Idaho ................................
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (specific) // [EMAIL PROTECTED] (general)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Q? - best combo of linux distrib and apps for 3rd world
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:42:10 -0400

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 07:30:14 GMT, David M. Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:00:17 GMT, Allan L. Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>- Reasonable performance on 486-33, 16 MB Ram, <400 MB HD.
>>- All software free.
>>- apps appropriate for NON-Technical end users need to do wordprocessing,
>
>WordPerfect 8 might run OK on that machine with judicious choice of window
>manager (no GNOME or KDE).  Note that the free version of WP8 is not the
>full version.
        Assuming that the person has a VGA or sVGA monitor and
compatible Video card. at first my 486 used a CGA monitor (it worked
ok for text use.

>But frankly I don't think this is realistic hardware (I've never used X on
>anything less than a 486/66 with 32MB RAM.).  The above machine would
>be a good X terminal, though.
        I have used The Xwindows System on a 486 Dx2/66mhz machine
with 8mb of ram. need I say, it could not run netscape very well and
it crawled! I have Xwindows on my same machine with 20mb of ram and it
still crawls a little.
        The X windows system in my situation is not my main interface
however, standard ASCII is.

>Linux runs well on 486s, but not, unfortunately, when they are encumbered by
>lots of fat GUI office software.
        Thats true. Doesn't anyone have a recomendation for a Word
processor that can be used with ncurses or slang? on a standard
console or a remote terminal? He would need something like that. I
myself use vim and groff so I am not a definitive source for info on
fancy word processors.
>The other issue is HD space.  I think you're going to have a hard time
>squeezing what you need into 400MB.
        Not if you are careful in choosing the bare basics. Slackware
is good for this. I used and still have my original ver 3.1 disks
here. If bare basics is all you want just install the A,AP and N disk
sets, (if one does not need tcpip. skip the N set.

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
                ---------------------
If [EMAIL PROTECTED] don't work try [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:15:26 -0400

dja7 wrote:

> Where can I find it ?
>
> thanks
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's in the kernel source tree, /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c
After it's compiled as a module and installed, it's in
/lib/modules/<version>/scsi/aic7xxx.o

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (me)
Subject: Scanner for RH5.2?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:30:43 -0700

-=Which model scanner that works well with RH5.2?=-

(by "works well", I'm looking for a scanner with 10+ step procedure to
get the scanner up and running without too much thought on my part)

(I have asus p2b w/USB... no scsi, but free pci/isa slots)

(I don't have much knowledge of linux if you didn't notice :-)

Thanks,

Rudy

From: "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ditto 2G Paralel Port/ Ftape Driver
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:07:30 -0400

Has anybody got a Ditto 2G parallel port tape drive to work using the FTape
driver? I tried Ftape 4.02 and 4.03pre2 and get "device not configured"
error messages when I use ftmt or ftformat or tar commands. I use modprobe
to install the modules (ftape, zftape, and bpck-fdc) and lsmod shows they
are there. As an example I use 'ftmt -f /dev/nqft0 status' and get back
"device not configured".  The MODCONF file has the internal floppy
controller and the backpack controller as the only i/o ports configured. I
have tried re-making the package with only the backpack drivers but get the
same result. The kernel is 2.0.36, RedHat 5.2.  If anybody can help please
e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  .

------------------------------

From: "JL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SONY SuperStation 10GB IDE Tape Drive.
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:03:56 -0600

Yup, I got one tonite and cant get it to work. See my other post to this
group.
-- JL

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen FM56P PCI Internal Modem (help needed!)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:27:00 -0400

Philo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to linux, but I'm now stuck trying to make my internal PCI modem to
> work.
>
> Under NT it is set up using COM3. I've tried any setting under linux, but
> always get something like "can't find modem" or "modem didn't answer"...
>
> It is not a win-modem.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It may not have "winmodem" written on the box, because this would mess
with a trademark, but it's still most likely a controllerless modem.
Check it against the list at http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

MST

------------------------------

From: "Maik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD ROM Treiber
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:33:43 +0200

Hi Leute!
Ich möchte mit einem
Microkontroler ein SCSI Gerät ansteuern!
Mit diesem Problem binn ich hier zwar nicht so ganz richtig?!
Jedoch gibt es hier wenigstens noch Leute die programmieren können
und wollen.

Also kann mir jemand sagen wie man z.B. das TOC aus der CD ausliest!
Hat jemand Infos über CD Laufwerke.
Ein Treiber der z.B. in C geschrieben ist könnte mir auch schon
weiterhelfen!
Ich binn für jede Info dakbar!!!!!!

...am besten an mich mailen da ich das gepostete verpassen könnte.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Besten Dank

Maik

------------------------------

From: "Super Pete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX and SCSI Adaptec AIC 7890
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:23:29 -0500

Okay, everybody, the clue is that it can't mount root on the install.  Hmmm,
where is root during the install?  Is it on the hard disk?  I don't think
so.

I am not an expert on how various installs work, but I think the problem is
that it is not reading the CD ROM.  (This may be true even if you are
booting from the CD, because the during the process of booting the disc is
access through the BIOS, not the kernel.  This should be self evident,
because the kernel is not loaded yet.)

A fix, you ask?  Well, you don't say what type of CD drive you have, but I
am pretty sure that Dell does not sell any systems with the throughput of
the 7890 crippled by a single ended cdrom.  (the 7890 is a low voltage diff
controller, it will work with se drives, but it slows things down
considerably.)

My guess is that you have a Power Edge 1300, in which case, the problem is
that you have an IDE CDROM and you probably don't know it.  This is
supported by the fact that if you told linux that the only controller you
have is a 7890 it would automatically start using the 7860, if there is one,
and this is the natural controler that one would likely use to compliment
the 7890.

I will be grateful to anyone who sees fit to cc: when posting more info to
this thread, as I do not intend to come back here to see what has happened.

Mathais,

Please let me know if this works or not.  I will be glad to help further if
I can.

-P

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:13:10 -0600
From: Eugene Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thomas Forlenza wrote:

> What is the wireing diagram for running 100BT cables?
> Can someone point me to the right documents.

Use EIA568A or B wiring standard for the color codes. I believe this is
EIA568B color code:

1st Twisted Pair        Pins 1&2 Org/Wh Wh/Org
2nd Twisted Pair        Pins 3&6 Grn/Wh Wh/Grn
3rd Twisted Pair        Pins 4&5 Blu/Wh Wh/Blu
4th Twisted Pair        Pins 7&8 Brn/Wh Wh/Brn

Pin 1 goes to 1, 2 to 2 and so on. The important part is the twist
pairs. Do not unravel more than 1/2" or you will degrade performance.
The reason for the strange pairing goes back to Token Ring which uses
pairs 3&6 and 4&5 to make RJ45 connectors capatible with RJ11.

------------------------------

From: meeble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: <<< FS:  Cisco 1601 router & ATL 1540 csu/dsu >>>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:38:55 -0700

hey all...

in case any of you are interested, i'm selling a Cisco 1601 router and
an ATL 1540 csu/dsu on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161249633

regards,
devin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 05:29:47 GMT

"Gabriel L. Somlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>SCSI experts out there: does this sound like a bad cable, or
>is it maybe that I mixed 50 and 68 pin devices on the 68 pin
>internal connector ? Or was my SCSI board broken all along and
>I never noticed ?

[...]

Your termination is probably incorrect. Check the term. settings
on the external device .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu