From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OKI 4W printer
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:17:16 GMT

Sorry Paul:

Said printer is a WinPrinter - that is the W in OKI 4W.

It will not run under anything but Windows.

Take it back if you can and get a real printer.

Best regards,

Brian

Paul Mannix wrote in message ...
>Has anyone got any idea whether this printer can be
persuaded to work
>under Linux?  So far I can't persuade it to do so.  I have
tried various
>things with the /etc/printcap and it isn't having any of
them.

------------------------------

From: hellraiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial mouse
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:14:41 -0400

ok, i just bought a 'genius 3-button easymouse' off cdw.com to replace
this old crappy ps/2 mouse i had.  well, i took the thing out of the box
and to my dismay it was a serial mouse, not ps/2.  well, i first tried
rebooting with the mouse in the first 9-pin serial port (forgot which
device that is... /dev/cua0?) and of course that didn't work.  next, i
tried recompiling my kernel with just about every option that i thought
would even possibly and remotely relate to supporting a serial mouse
selected, and rebooted but the mouse still didn't work.  how do i get a
serial mouse to work??  i checked the howto's, but i didn't find
anything that would help me.  i also hope this isn't a frequently asked
question.

so, um... help me!
thanks!!

--
hellraiser ( @linuxfreak.com || @nac.net )
awk 'BEGIN { printf "Just another %s hacker\n", ARGV[0] }'

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendations for a new system.
Date: 13 May 1999 16:36:03 -0400

Chuck Cusack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am planning on getting a new system, and am looking for advice.
> I plan on using RedHat Linux 6.0.
> I don't want to spend tons, but I want good performance (like everyone
> else...)
> I also want linux-supported hardware, because I really hate banging my
> head against
> the wall trying to get something to work that will never work.
>
> I want:
> AMD K2 3D 400 MHZ
> Socket-7 100MHZ Board
>         Maybe with 8 MB video and sound integrated

don't get integrated stuff on your motherboard.

0) what if linux and those integrated parts don't cooperate well?
   linux generally supports hardware that's 6 months out of date.
   the stuff bundled on mobos tend to be from vendors who are stingy
   with specs.
1) what if you want to upgrade next year?
2) what if something breaks?

you really want to go very generic.  get a plain motherboard with the
usual stuff (like ide controllers) but not fancy/fragile things like
video, sound or scsi.  do get a lot of slots if you can.  a mix of
both eisa and pci would seem prudent.

for video, i am very happy with my matrox millenium ii.  these
shouldn't be too expensive anymore.

sound is more difficult.  i have an SB AWE 32 and it works.  esoniq
seems to be a popular choice with linux.  newer pci sound cards have
less support but that is coming.

>         (I don't know about this memory sharing thing, that is, if it is
> good or bad),
>         Otherwise, a decent video card and sound card.
> 64 MB  or more (maybe 96?) RAM

64M is plenty.  but i'd get 128M if i could.  ram is cheap these days.

> CD Rom
> 3-4 GB HD

you can get 6-9G for a song these days.

> Network card
> Case, FDD, CPU fan

> Most importantly, I may get a TV tuner card, and since my current board
> is incompatible with every TV card I have tried, I want to make sure my
> new
> one isn't.

i'd *seriously* consider some form of backup.  you do not seem to have
anything in that category.  the 1.4M floppy is a cruel joke and *not*
a viable backup mechanism.

for example, a cd-writer might be a good investment.  i'd go for scsi
if i could help it.  by all means, let your harddrive be ide.
however, cd writers, scanners, tape-drives, zip-drives and other
outrigger equipment seems better supported via scsi than parport, ide
or floppy controller.  to save money, you should get a fast/narrow
scsi card (as opposed to the pricey ultra(2)/wides).  the slow
periferals (and even singleton harddrives) won't benefit substatially
from the faster transfer rates.  uw is more for banks of drives in
servers.

if you are on a tight budget, go to a computer show and consider
`obsolete' equipment.  last fall, i saw them selling dual ppro-200's
for $400 and such.  a ppro-200 isn't as sexy as 400MHz AMD, but it's
no slouch either.  know what you want before going.  try to get a lot
of ram whatever you do.  swapping active processes will make anything
slow.

hope this helps.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LINUX and AMD K6-3D NOW, ANY PROBLEM?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:32:15 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 10:09:14 +0200, Ramon Huerta
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>following the discussion here,
>
>Does anyone have experience with a good dual board for Amd-K6?

There are no dual AMD processor boards. Sorry.

>Any news about the Amd-K7?

Still waiting.

------------------------------

From: Andre Hedrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Caldera 1.3 and Promise Ultra33 Offboard IDE Controller
Date: 14 May 1999 00:30:55 GMT

MRenne wrote:

> I have read the How-To on Offboard PCI UDMA interfaces.
> I have executed MAKEDEV.ide to create device files.
> I have 2.0.35 kernel so Ultra33 should be supported according to the

Brion's HOW-TO is out of date, but very useful.
I have negelected to keep him up to date with push of kernel development.
Alan Cox's 2.0.37pre11 plus ide.2.0.37pre11+ide6.patch will make it fully
functional.

> All drives and both cards work under Windows 95, Windows 98.
> If I take out the card, OpenLinux boots no problem.
> If I have no drives attached to the card, OpenLinux boots no problem.
>
> Any of the drives attached, two 1.3GB, one 10GB, get the following
> repeating error sequence
>
> hde: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hde: unexpected_intr: status=0x41 { DriveStatusError }

Incorrectly tuned chipset against attempted but not enabled DMAing.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Info On DEC Alpha with Linux
Date: 11 May 1999 16:02:45 GMT

Robert Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi Linuxer,

>I am interested in purchasing a DEC Alpha.  This Alpha will be running
>Linux.
>The questions that I will be asking are:

>1. Where can I purchase this DEC Alpha?
>2. Is there a web browser for this DEC Alpha Linux, i.e. Netscape?
>3. I have seen a recent released of Lyx.  Does anyone know if this
>   Lyx is portable to DEC Alpha under Linux?
>4. Is there a FREE accounting + ledger package for this DEC Alpha under
>Linux?
>5. Has anyone ported Octave to this DEC Alpha under Linux?

        SuSE (ww.suse.com) is selling an alpha-linux. you can get
        a complet alpha-server from them inlc. SMP so far i know.

        walter

--
=====
"Logic really is a justification for hunches.  Have you ever known anyone

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: OSS started misbehaving
Date: 13 May 1999 22:36:09 GMT

Rajmund Krivec ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: IRQ's 5 and 7 are the only free ones to use for OSS. I tried both the
: setup suggested by OSS and the setup copied by analogy from Windows
: defaults on the same machine (the one used below). The only free play is
: with I/O addresses and a couple of DMA channels.
:
:
: Card config:
: Software mixing (audio)
: Generic PnP support
: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388
: SoundPort at 0x534 irq 5 drq 1,3
: MPU-401 (UART) at 0x330 irq 7
:

I have an on-board CS4236B on my computer, and it runs well using:

SoundPort at 0x534 irq 7 drq 1,0
MPU-401 (UART) at 0x330 irq 10

The second DMA channel is `0', not `3'.  IRQ 10 for the MPU appears
to be free based on your /proc/interrupts file below, but if OSS
really doesn't want to use 10, then maybe IRQ 5 will work for you.

: PCI devices found:
:   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
:     Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Unknown device (rev 1).
:       Vendor id=1013. Device id=6001.

What is this thing?  Might it be interfering with your sound card?
Can you disable it if you're not using it?

:  0:       2670   timer
:  1:          2   keyboard
:  2:          0   cascade
:  5:          1   CS4236B
:  7:          0   MPU-401 UART
:  8:          2 + rtc
: 13:          1   math error
: 14:       2646 + ide0
: 15:          0 + ide1

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Subject: Re: ext2 not recognized on floppy
Date: 13 May 1999 22:38:41 GMT

Remco van den Berg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >Rob Komar wrote:
: >
: >> fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
: >> mke2fs /dev/fd0
: >> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
:
: Looks like you're formatting it twice, first for msdos and then for ext2.
: Or is it really so that you can low-level format floppies?

Yes.  You're probably thinking of superformat for formatting DOS disks.
fdformat really does only do a low-level format.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: Robert Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seagate Ultra ATA disks
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:35:11 -0700

I had to replace my standard EIDE cables with UDMA cables.

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual M/B recommendation please
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:29:01 GMT

Tmack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <39r_2.22943$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: >bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: >one thing that annoys me, though; my board didn't come with a slot-1
: >terminator.  both my asus p2bd boards came with cpu terminators, for
: >when you run the dual board in single cpu mode (just one plugged in).

: -=chomp=-

: Those cards are not necessary. I have a Tyan Tiger2 (lx dual board)
: that didnt come with one, it autodetects one or two cpu's. Runs fine
: without the dummy card. Another computer I just finished building
: for a friend was based on a supermicro p6dbu, again no dummy card.
: Worked fine with one or two cpu's.

so is it the asus mobo that needs it, or what?  why would asus spend
the money to include these if they aren't necessary?

many things need 'terminators': old 10base2 coax, scsi chains and I
thought that dual processor boards (with only 1 plugged in) needed
one.  just to keep the waveforms happy ;-) is that not universally
true?

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: David Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel N440BX - EMP Console
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:30:37 -0300

Anyone any experience with Linux and the Intel N440BX server board,
especially any info on Emergency Management Port Console software for
Linux?

David Potter

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:30:21 GMT

Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: bryan wrote:
: >
: > just to confuse folks <g>, I got a tyan 1832dl board today and I'll
: > see if my 2 300a celerys will run smp just like my asus boards do.
: >

: As shipped from Intel Celerons are intentionally crippled for purposes of dual
: processor support by any OS or application..   Some PPGA -> slot1 adapter cards
: handle it and there are manual modifications documented:
:    http://www.anandtech.com/html/review_display.cfm?document=914
: but without one of these you are only using 1 of the two processors.

I know - I know.  I have personally taken drill and soldering iron to
hand to modify all 4 of my celery 300a slot1 chips.  and I've done 7
so far this way - all with 100% success.

so I don't plan to plug them in unmodified and assume they'll work.  I do know about:

        cat /proc/cpuinfo

;-) ;-)

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mj)
Subject: Re: LILO refuses, stops after 'LI'
Date: 13 May 1999 13:28:28 GMT

Hi,

Some weeks ago, i installed Debian 2.0 on a friends machine, equipped with 2
Hardrives (Quantum Fireball, 2.5GB (hda) and Fujitsu 4.2 GB (hdc), windows on
hda and Linux on hdc). Selecting the boot drive as "D:" in the BIOS settings
caused this "LI" problem ("LI" appears on the screen and the machine hangs).
Installing LILO on hda master boot record, and setting boot drive to "C:"
eliminated the problem. Any idea why this happens?

bye.

From: Chris Madson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Blaster 32 help in RedHat
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:23:37 -0500

Hello,
    I've been having some trouble with sndconfig in Redhat v.5.2. It
seems that it doesn't like /dev/audio when it tries to do the
autodetect. See, it says it finds it, but when it tries to do a sample
it says it can't access /dev/audio. Yes, I've tried both using root and
my normal acct to do this. any ideas??? Thanks!!
Chris

------------------------------

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 and IDE Iomega Zip drive
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:36:47 -0700

Doug,

You might try recompling your kernel and enabling support for
IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support inside of block devices.

I am running rh6 and 2.2.7 with no problems getting to my ide zip.

--Joshua Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ellis)
Subject: Re: Quantum Fireball
Date: 13 May 1999 23:27:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Scott M. Grim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I personally recommend against buying ANY Quantum drive that you plan to put
>in a server that will be working hard at all.  Every Quantum drive we have
>ever installed in any of our HTTP, DNS, NNTP, or SMTP servers has died
>within 6 months.  They just don't seem to have the quality to endure a
>server environment.

You aren't the only one that has had that problem with Quantum drives.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux.html

------------------------------

From: "HJLin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.0 on TurboSPARC?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:53:09 +0800

Does anybody know whether RedHad 6.0 Linux runs on
170MHz Sparc-5 (TurboSPARC)?

Thanks for any info.

Chester Lin

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Alternative to OSS for Sound Blaster PCI128?
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:39:04 -0700

Check out ALSA
www.alsa-project.org

I use it with my pci128 because it takes advantage of more of the cards
features and produces a better quality sound.

--Joshua Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (EneSys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: S3Trio3D + 21" Monitor: Help! Modelines Reqd
Date: 14 May 1999 08:15:21 +0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Peggy Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi to all linux friends,
>
>I've been in & out of this newsgroup and several others over my S3trio3D
>on-board that came w my IBM P300GL w ViewSonic P810 (21" monitor")
>
>After close to 1 mth of immense pain, I have finally upgraded to Xfree86
>3.3.3.1 w kernel 2.2.6 and am using the frame buffer device. (I can see the
>Penguin)

Had a similar prob. with the S3 Trio 3D (86C365). Eventually got
it to run X (on Turbolinux 3.0.1) using the VGA16 setting. Very
crude resolution - 640x400 works best. Would be an eyesore on a
21" monitor ;-)

HTH
dp