Linux-Hardware Digest #232, Volume #10           Fri, 14 May 99 06:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: "read XX" and backspace key in console vs in X solved (Zoran Cutura)
  Re: serial mouse (Zoran Cutura)
  Voodoo3 XServer Detailed Installation Help Please ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  dvd (waco)
  Re: Amd-k6-2 (Brien Sullivan)
  Linux compatible SMP motherboard, reviewed (Bill Henning)
  Re: mouse, gpm and X (Zoran Cutura)
  Re: ASUS-P2B-DS feels slow ("marco viola")
  Install AHA1542CP SCSI card (Stephen)
  Re: Linux dials modem but Browsers can't find it? (rprescott)
  LINUX machine instead of iMac (Don Saklad)
  Iwill 2930C SCSI adaptor, Linux 2.2.5 (Suse 6.1) ok for CDW? (Sandra Silcot)
  DIVA T/A ISDN modem ("Claus Jul Larsen")
  Looking for PCI video card advice ("Acme")
  Re: CMI8338 soundcard
  Re: Exhaustive testing of a suspect hard drive
  Re: PS/2 or serial?
  CL Banshee installation ("Geert")
  HP JetDirects (using DLC) on Linux??? ("Billy Dunn")
  Re: CD-RW's for Linux (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: Anyone know if a Nvidia TNT-2 will work with X11? (Norbert Goebel)
  Re: Exhaustive testing of a suspect hard drive ("D. Vrabel")
  Can I use four IDE HD drives under Linux? ("Dave Ewart")

From: Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "read XX" and backspace key in console vs in X solved
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:32:42 +0200

Robert Bernecky wrote:

> I asked some time ago why backspaces in "read XX" in shell script works
> fine in
> non-X mode (acting as character delete), but fails in XFree86.
> I eventually figured out (from reading the "keyboard and console HOWTO")
>
> that delete and backspace are set up wrong (in the HOWTO author's
> opinion
> and in my opinion...) in X. In spite of them working properly in non-X
> environments, X appears to remap those characters silently. The fix I
> adopted
> was to place an
>    stty erase ^H
> in /etc/profile.local. I think you could also put in your own .bashrc or
>
> ,profile or /etc/profile, depending on your taste. My understanding is
> that /etc/profile.local is the best place for this if you want;
>
>  a. the change to apply to all users
>  b. the change to stick when you upgrade linux, as an upgrade may
>     overwrite /etc/profile, but is not supposed to touch
> /etc/profile.local.
>
> Someone please correct me if the above is wrong, and let me know
> what The Right Way is, and Why.
>
> This was in SuSE 5.3.
> Bob

At least when you start X xmodmap is normaly used to setup the keyboard.
So one could type xmodmap on the prompt to see the settings in X.
Here is my .Xmodmapfile from my home-dorectory which was working on SUSE
since 5.0 (I first ran DLD1.3 which was a german ditro in '95) and ever
before! (It is for german keyboard only!!):

!################################################################
!in Xmodmap comments begin with a '!'

clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
clear Mod4
clear Mod5

remove mod1 =  Alt_L

keycode   9 = Escape Escape
keycode  10 = 1 exclam
keycode  11 = 2 quotedbl twosuperior
keycode  12 = 3 section threesuperior
keycode  13 = 4 dollar dollar
keycode  14 = 5 percent
keycode  15 = 6 ampersand
keycode  16 = 7 slash braceleft
keycode  17 = 8 parenleft bracketleft
keycode  18 = 9 parenright bracketright
keycode  19 = 0 equal braceright
keycode  20 = ssharp question backslash
keycode  21 = apostrophe grave
keycode  22 = BackSpace
keycode  23 = Tab Tab
keycode  24 = q Q at
keycode  25 = w W
keycode  26 = e E
keycode  27 = r R
keycode  28 = t T
keycode  29 = z Z
keycode  30 = u U
keycode  31 = i I
keycode  32 = o O
keycode  33 = p P
keycode  34 = udiaeresis Udiaeresis
keycode  35 = plus asterisk asciitilde
keycode  36 = Return
keycode  37 = Control_L
keycode  38 = a A
keycode  39 = s S
keycode  40 = d D
keycode  41 = f F
keycode  42 = g G
keycode  43 = h H
keycode  44 = j J
keycode  45 = k K
keycode  46 = l L
keycode  47 = odiaeresis Odiaeresis
keycode  48 = adiaeresis Adiaeresis
keycode  49 = asciicircum degree
keycode  50 = Shift_L
keycode  51 = numbersign apostrophe
keycode  52 = y Y
keycode  53 = x X
keycode  54 = c C
keycode  55 = v V
keycode  56 = b B
keycode  57 = n N
keycode  58 = m M
keycode  59 = comma semicolon
keycode  60 = period colon
keycode  61 = minus underscore
keycode  62 = Shift_R
keycode  63 = KP_Multiply
keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode  65 = space space
keycode  66 = Caps_Lock
keycode  67 = F1 F11
keycode  68 = F2 F12
keycode  69 = F3 F13
keycode  70 = F4 F14
keycode  71 = F5 F15
keycode  72 = F6 F16
keycode  73 = F7 F17
keycode  74 = F8 F18
keycode  75 = F9 F19
keycode  76 = F10 F20
keycode  77 = Num_Lock
keycode  78 = Scroll_Lock
keycode  79 = KP_7
keycode  80 = KP_8
keycode  81 = KP_9
keycode  82 = KP_Subtract
keycode  83 = KP_4
keycode  84 = KP_5
keycode  85 = KP_6
keycode  86 = KP_Add
keycode  87 = KP_1
keycode  88 = KP_2
keycode  89 = KP_3
keycode  90 = KP_0
keycode  91 = KP_Decimal
keycode  94 = less greater bar
keycode  95 = F11 F11
keycode  96 = F12 F12
keycode 108 = KP_Enter
keycode 109 = Control_R
keycode 112 = KP_Divide
keycode 113 = Mode_switch
keycode 114 = Break
keycode 110 = Find
keycode  98 = Up
keycode  99 = Prior
keycode 100 = Left
keycode 102 = Right
keycode 104 = Down
keycode 105 = Next
keycode 106 = Insert

add Mod1 = Alt_L
add Mod2 = Mode_switch

Best regards
        Zoran

--
LISP is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you
will have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a

------------------------------

From: Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial mouse
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:38:03 +0200

hellraiser wrote:

> ok, i just bought a 'genius 3-button easymouse' off cdw.com to replace
> this old crappy ps/2 mouse i had.  well, i took the thing out of the box
> and to my dismay it was a serial mouse, not ps/2.  well, i first tried
> rebooting with the mouse in the first 9-pin serial port (forgot which
> device that is... /dev/cua0?) and of course that didn't work.  next, i
> tried recompiling my kernel with just about every option that i thought
> would even possibly and remotely relate to supporting a serial mouse
> selected, and rebooted but the mouse still didn't work.  how do i get a
> serial mouse to work??  i checked the howto's, but i didn't find
> anything that would help me.  i also hope this isn't a frequently asked
> question.
>
> so, um... help me!
> thanks!!
>
> --
> hellraiser ( @linuxfreak.com || @nac.net )
> awk 'BEGIN { printf "Just another %s hacker\n", ARGV[0] }'
> GMU/O d-- s-:- !a C+++ UL+++ P+> L+++ E--- W+++ N+++ o-- K? !W--- O-
> !M-- V- PS+++ PE-- Y PGP- !t--- !5-- X R+++> !tv b++ DI+ D+++ G++ e-> h!
> r- z>

I guess it doesn't work in X???!!?
You have to change the mouse(eg pointer)-section in /etc/XF86Config.

Or start XF86Setup to get a graphical setup tool!

Bye
        Zoran

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Voodoo3 XServer Detailed Installation Help Please
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 05:04:09 GMT

Could someone please post the DETAILS (aka command by command from file
extraction to finally starting the xserver) of how to install this
Voodoo3 XServer for Linux? (The url is glide.xxedgexx.com) I (and a lot
of other people stuck with an incompatible video card) would really
appreciate some help here. Thanks.

Chris Oldenburg

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dvd
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 14:38:04 -0400

Does anyone know if the Pioneer SCSI DVD is "seen" in Linux?

I'm not too concerned about DVD mode, just CDROM mode for now..

J,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brien Sullivan)
Subject: Re: Amd-k6-2
Date: 14 May 1999 05:57:06 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 22:27:29 -0500, Len Huppe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux does not lock up unless there is something drastically wrong with your
>hardware and/or the configuration of your system.  I have a K6 machine that I use
>to study computers at home and I have never been unable to run anything.  I have
>installed all of the following on my K6:

>        NT 4.0 Service Packs 1, 2, 3, & 4
>        Debian/GNU Linux 1.3, 2.0, 2.1
>        Linux kernel 1.2.13, 2.036, and now 2.2.7
>        X86Solaris 2.6, 7
>        BeOS  4
>        FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.1
>        NetWare 3.12, 4.1
>        OS/2 Warp 3, 4, 5 Beta

>Need I say anything more?

Probably not, but my new motherboard with a K6-2 doesn't
seem to like the OS's that were already installed. In Linux'
case it seems to have been the hdparm settings that munged it,
and some BIOS settings for DOS/Win3.11, but I'll have to reinstall
Win98 & WinNT. OS/2 was the only one that survived unscathed.
--
Brien

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Henning)
Subject: Linux compatible SMP motherboard, reviewed
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:15:11 GMT

I've posted a review of the PCChips M750i motherboard - supports dual CPU's,
Intel BX chipset, onboard i740 with 8Mb of SDRAM, onboard 3D sound
(and it is inexpensive!) at my site,    http://www.cpureview.com

It works fine with Linux, I'll be posting a brief article on how to run Linux
with an SMP kernel on it shortly. I am using two Celeron 300A's running at
450Mhz (this is a toy box, NOT a production machine; I don't overclock
production machines).

Regards,

Bill

William Henning http://www.cpureview.com NEW: Discussion Forums!
 reviews: Riva 128/TNT,G200,i740,Voodoo2,Soyo 5EHM,Shuttle 591P,BH6
articles: What makes a good business PC?, StarOffice4 on RedHat 5.1
3DMarks, Quake2,  Linux kernel compilation benchmarks, Overclocking

------------------------------

From: Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouse, gpm and X
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:56:10 +0200

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote:

> I have a crumpy $5 mouse which you may try to pry from my cold, dead hands
> some day. When I first installed linux, a friend told me I would not get
> the mouse to work with X unless I loaded gpm as a repeater.
>
> I came to find out his mouse was a bus mouse, and according to the docs
> could not possibly work without gpm. And I've had a few quirky little
> things happen with the mouse, so I decided to try doing things without
> gpm loaded.
>
> Long and short of it: no way. With gpm, all is well. Without gpm, no magic
> incantation makes the mouse work in X. This has now become a matter of honor,
> and I shall not rest until I get it working without gpm. So... suggestions?
>
> Kernels tried: 2.0.35, 2.2.2, 2.2.6, 2.2.7
> Mouse is a Mouse Systems compatible as far as gpm and Windoze are concerned
> Relevant from XF86Config:
>
> Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol        "MouseSystems"
>    Device          "/dev/gpmdata"      # this works
> #  Device          "/dev/mouse"        # this doesn't
>    BaudRate        1200
>    Buttons         3
> #  Emulate3Timeout 50
>    ClearDTR                            # doesn't matter
>    ClearRTS                            # ditto
> EndSection
>
> --
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |   Cliff Sharp   |  "Speech isn't free when it comes postage-due."           |
> |      WA9PDM     |   -- Jim Nitchals, founder, FREE                          |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- http://www.spamfree.org/ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

question:
where does /dev/mouse point to?

This is not a device! you could either change the pointer-section to
something like /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/cua0 or you could 'ln -s /dev/tyyS0
/dev/mouse'
If your mouse id a ps/2 you would use /dev/psaux as the device!

Bye
        Zoran

From: "marco viola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: ASUS-P2B-DS feels slow
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:29:59 +0200

Kari Laine ha scritto nel messaggio
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Dear All,

>Specs of the machine:
>2 x PIII processors 500 Mhz
>512MB RAM
>L1 Cache 32
>L2 Cache 512

what a beast :)

>operating system around :-) Is there tools to meter Linux disk
>performance or do I have to write my own. In the /proc under scsi

man hdparm

>CPU Level 1 Cache : enabled
>ECP DMA Select : disabled   <== I cannot change this-why?
>
>Are there any values which could affect performance? Please help!

don't know the board, no idea sorry

ciao
marco

------------------------------

From: Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install AHA1542CP SCSI card
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:07:06 +0800

I am using RH 5.2 and want to install a ISA PnP Adaptec 1542CP
controller to it. But I don't know what to do after I put the card in.
Anyone can tell me how to do it?

Stephen

------------------------------

From: rprescott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dials modem but Browsers can't find it?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 04:20:34 -0400

> snip>>

> >     I set up my modem to call my ISP. This part works, and examining
> > /var/log/messages shows me that I am logged in to my ISP, authenticated,
> > and have received an IP from them. This was done using pppd, with the
> > /etc/ppp/options file, edited to call my ISP. Minicom will also call my
> > ISP and I am able to log in through it at the command line with no
> > problem. However, Lynx, Netscape, ftp, or gftp seem unable to find this
> > link to the outside world. Basically they tell me there are no DNS
> > servers available, no matter what I try to access. I am also completely
> > unable to access my ISP's mail or news servers, even though ifconfig
> > still shows me connected.

> snip>>
>
> Any OS needs to have the IP address of the DNS server(s) for
> your ISP! or you will never find anything by it's domain name.
> Check your "/etc/resolv.conf" file, if you haven't added the IP's
> for your ISP's DNS server(s), add them here. If you don't know
> what they are, contact you ISP for the information.
> Try "man resolv.conf" for details...

snip>>

> I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough. My resolv.conf did have the correct
> information in it. /var/log/messages showed me that I had reached the ISP's
> DNS server and in fact been authenticated on their network.

Anyway, I eventually got it working but I tried so many things I'm still not
quite sure what fixed it. I will continue to examine and experiment with my
setup files to try and pinpoint what it was.
Thanks for the answers.

------------------------------

From: Don Saklad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX machine instead of iMac
Date: 14 May 1999 05:27:44 -0400

Call me a novice, but I want to get a LINUX machine. I was going to
get an iMac.

(1) Exactly from where and (2) exactly what could you get on the order
of a machine already ready to go running LINUX that most any novice
could plug in and begin using right away as marketing for the iMac
propagandize.

Please reply via
Don Saklad  2 Linwood Place  Cambridge MA 02139-1525
tel. 617-661-9650 voice & FAX, email:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sandra Silcot)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Iwill 2930C SCSI adaptor, Linux 2.2.5 (Suse 6.1) ok for CDW?
Date: 14 May 1999 08:36:45 GMT

My supplier advises me this card now comes bundled with the Panasonic
7502 CDW I want to buy, whereas it previously came with a Tekram DC310
which I know is well supported in Suse using the ncr53c8xx driver.

The Iwill 2930C is not listed at all in the Suse hardware database nor
in the Redhat hardware list but Iwill claim to have Linux support for
this card. They supply a linux driver (as a dos .exe) but I don't have
access to a dos system so can't get to its readme. So I don't know what
scsi driver it uses or whether its their own driver which I'll have to
compile into the kernel. No info on their site about what scsi chipset
it uses either.

Iwill claim that: "The driver has been tested on Linux v1.2.13,
v1.3.57, and v2.0.14 kernels. Starting with v1.3.58 the driver has been
included in the Linux distribution.(236KB)"

As to what they mean by "*the* Linux distribution", I don't know. Nor
do they name the particular driver they are talking about.

>From dejanews I can't find a single posting about this particular card.
There are several reports of Linux users having bad problems with some
other Iwill scsi cards, and in one case, being unable to even compile
the Iwill driver.

I am inclined to ask my supplier to make an effort to get the Tekram
card, unless I can confirm the Iwill 2930C will work.

Has anyone out there been successful getting an Iwill SIDE 2930C SCSI
adaptor to work with the 2.2.5 kernel?

Many thanks in advance.

Sandra Silcot      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Uni. of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC, Australia, 3052.
"To a person who only has a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail."

(Abraham Maslow)

------------------------------

From: "Claus Jul Larsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DIVA T/A ISDN modem
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:40:39 +0200

Hi Linux freaks!

I've recived an init string from a user - but i had lost the mail! Please
send it again - thanks!!

Someone have an init-string to the ISDN-modem to Linux (XISP). Plus other
perferences? I've got the modem for four week ago, but didn't work! :-(

I've a manual for the modem, but it's hard to get the right init-string -
please!

Claus

------------------------------

From: "Acme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for PCI video card advice
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:08:02 -0500

I'm currently using a PCI Rendition V1000 card; it's supported by XFree86,
but only as a non accelerated card (the V1000 is a very sharp but rather
slow SVGA card).  I'd appreciate any advice you can offer regarding PCI
video card performance under XFree86 (I'm running Slackware 3.5 but have
upgraded the X software).  Requirements are:

   -- PCI
   -- cheap ($100 or less)
   -- better than the V1000 I have
   -- sharp
   -- accelerated under XFree86

Candidates are a TNT-based card or one of the ATI Rage cards, along with -
possibly - a Matrox card; Win95 and gaming are a consideration.

Thanks for your advice!

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CMI8338 soundcard
Date: 14 May 1999 07:45:24 GMT

Blade Runner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> greetings

> i'm using cmi8338 sound card with red hat 6.0......until now, i still
> can't setup my sound ...is there anyone here using the same card as mine

> (CMI8338) and  successfully configure it in linux ?....kindly advise....

> thanks in advance

I'm using the alsa-sound-driver, snd-sb16, with CMI8338 card
after loading the DOS driver and booting the Linux with Loadlin.exe.

Recently the vendor of CMI838 chip announced the driver for Linux.
I just download the driver 'cmpci-1.1.tar.gz' from
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_dload1.htm
but I can make the module for my CMI8338 soundcard since some of header
files which are needed in cmpci.c are missing.
There are no instructions about the version of kernel.
I have used RedHat-5.2 with kernel-2.0.36 and I am wondering whether
I upgrade my system to kernel-2.2.

Could you try the driver with RedHat 6.0 and report the result ?

Konghoon Lee

From: <>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Exhaustive testing of a suspect hard drive
Date: 14 May 1999 07:49:13 GMT

"Matthew B. Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreibt: > Hello all,

> I recently gained a 2 Gb hard drive which according to the previous
> user, has bad sectors. I've installed it in my linux machine,
> partitioned it into two 500 Mb partitions and one 1000 Mb partition,
> formatted each partition with mkfs, and mounted them successfully for
> normal use. None of these operations complained about any drive
> problems.
>
> My question: Is there a way I can thoroughly scan the disk for bad
> sectors and surface problems? Something like scandisk under dos,
> perhaps?

Of course you can test it with e2fsck periodically. But there are other
ways of testing. First question: Is it SCSI or EIDE? SCSI has modepages,
where those bad sectors are mentioned (factory bad sectors and growing
bad sectors).

Bye

Armin Kaiser

------------------------------

From: <>
Subject: Re: PS/2 or serial?
Date: 14 May 1999 07:42:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mj) schreibt: > Hi,

> What mice uses less resources? Serial or PS/2? Which has more incompatibility
> trouble (under linux)? Any idea?
>
> bye.

This depends on your system. PS/2 needs an interrupt and causes sometimes
more trouble than serial. The disadvantage of those serial mice is, that you
loose one of your serial interfaces. The best thing of all, is to buy a mouse
which supports both (they use adapters serial/PS2).

Bye

Armin Kaiser

------------------------------

From: "Geert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CL Banshee installation
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:04:28 +0200

Can someone advice some good driver for my Creative Labs 3D Banshee.  No 3D
support is needed, but I want to run an X-server in a higher resoltion than
standard VGA.
Also please provide installation help.

From: "Billy Dunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: HP JetDirects (using DLC) on Linux???
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:04:11 GMT

Sorry for the cross-post, but this is an question that has been asked by
many and never addressed in these newsgroups - and I've searched back 6
months.

There are thousands upon thousands of old Hewlett Packard JetDirect boxes
and cards out there that allow you to setup a stand-alone printer.  While
many of the newer cards and external boxes allow TCP/IP communication, the
old JetDirects do not.

I have been using Windows NT's DLC protocol to connect to these boxes
without much difficulty.  Apparently, the DLC protocol is not something that
Linux supports at this time.  I have hundreds of these boxes out there and I
am at a total standstill in my efforts to move to Linux because of this
problem.

Does ANYONE know of a way to communicate with the old JetDirect boxes that
do not support TCP/IP?  They support IPX/SPX and DLC (not LPD).

Thanks very much - and sorry again about that cross-post.

Emailed replies are fine, but I will also be checking here several times a
day in the hopes that there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.
Billy Dunn

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW's for Linux
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:18:45 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> According to Swietanowski Artur  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > You can read a CD-R in normal CD-ROM's, but not a CD-RW. I don't
> > think I even saw a CD-ROM capable of reading a CD-RW.
>
> Actually, just about all computer CD-ROM drives and most modern audio
> CD players can read CD-RW media.

It is true that nearly all currently produced CD-ROM's read CD-RW.
But still, out of +40 CDROM's in this institute, none reads CD-RW.
They are mostly in the 10x-16x range, both EIDE and SCSI. And this
is the situation wherever you go, unless they just bouth the CD-ROM's
within the last year or two.

> Actually, this is an argument for CDROM technology.  ;-) I can pretty
> much guarantee you that every desktop machine sold in the next ten
> years will come with the capability to read a CDROM.

I'd agree about the CD-ROM compatibility lasting more than the 5
years, but ... will the recording CD-R or CD-RW last? In case of MO
there is some evidence that it will (plus the manufacturer's claims).
But what about a CD-RW that would be used for truly multiple writes
over months or years?

Just asking, 'cause I have no information about this.

Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Norbert Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone know if a Nvidia TNT-2 will work with X11?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:06:44 +0200

Stefano \"stefano76\" Bellodi wrote:

> System Administrator wrote:
>
> > forgive my ignorance, but i just purchased a machine with the riva tnt
> > chipset and could not find support for it either. at present i do not wish
> > to move to suse (i have redhat 5.2), and have read that X now supports the
> > chipset, just not it's 3d capabilities. if this is this true, where/how
> > might i gain this support ? would it involve recompiling the kernel ? i have
> > only limited experience with this (kernel stuff) and any advice is
> > appreciated.
> >

> The TNT1 chipset is supported by Xfree86 3.3.3.1, tou don't need to recompile
> the kernel, just to configure X with Xconfigurator or XF86Setup or xf86config
> or anything else...support for TNT1 is avaible in the card list of the
> configuration utilities as viper 550, and RIVA TNT, but only color depth up to
> 16 bit is supported for now.
>
> PS: instead i'd like to know how to get working a TNT2:)

And why  have I got my TNT1 card working with 32-bit colordepth?
BTW, it is funny, 24-bit does not work, but 32-bit option works (but many
programs report this 32-bit to be 24-bit).

Norbert

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:20:34 +0100

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Matthew B. Kennedy wrote:
> I recently gained a 2 Gb hard drive which according to the previous
> user, has bad sectors. I've installed it in my linux machine,
> partitioned it into two 500 Mb partitions and one 1000 Mb partition,
> formatted each partition with mkfs, and mounted them successfully for
> normal use. None of these operations complained about any drive
> problems.
>
> My question: Is there a way I can thoroughly scan the disk for bad
> sectors and surface problems? Something like scandisk under dos,
> perhaps?
badblocks I think it's called.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

From: "Dave Ewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I use four IDE HD drives under Linux?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:16:59 +0100

I am considering my options regarding the specification of a Linux box to
function as a mass storage server ...

My thoughts are:

* I need *lots* of hard disk space, preferably up to 100GB.  Access times do
not need to be that fast.
* It must be cheap, therefore SCSI hard drives are not a consideration -
let's stick with IDE.
* Possibility 1: Use three IDE hard drives and an IDE CDROM.
* Possibility 2: Use four IDE hard drives and a SCSI CDROM.

My question is: is there any reason why I could not use four large IDE hard
drives under Linux?  [I'm not sure how they would be partitioned, that's
really a different issue.]  Does anyone have experience of doing this?

Thanks for any info,

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart, Computing Manager
Imperial Cancer Research Fund (Cancer Epidemiology Unit), Oxford