From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BP6 ATA66 Crashing System
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:28:25 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> with
> since
> (updatedb)
> log off.

> bother

> the
> > >
> > > I added the Promise card, but the system still finds the hpt366 as
> ide2&3
> > > how can I disable it so the system will find the new Promise card??
> > > I tried disabling Ultrdma in bios, no luck.
> > > I tried ide2=0x9400,0x9802 ide3=0x9c00,0xa002 (from /proc/pci for
> Promise
> > > card), it still finds ide2&3 on the hpt366.
> > > I tried ide4&5 on same address, no luck.  Is Linux limited to ide0-
> 3?
> >
> > Also emailed-----------
> >
> > Did you recompile your kernel with the Promise ATA 100 support?
> >
> > Let's take it from the top.  What kernel are you using and how did you
> > install it; rpm, *.tar.gz/bz2?  Do you have the source?  You composed
> > this using MS, does Winblows see the Promise card?  Do you know how to
> > patch a kernel?
> >
> > I don't believe the hpt 366 can be disabled without altering the
> BIOS.
> > I put support for both hpt and Promise in my current kernel.  I still
> > get the blue Highpoint screen at boot, but have nothing attached.  I
> may
> > hook a couple of udma 33's to it and do some massive data transfers
> and
> > diff the files.  If it's ok, that's good.
> >
> > One request:  I'll gladly give you all the help you need on this, but
> > please bottom post (as you did here) your replies and don't <snip> any
> > of the content.  It will save me from having to refer to previous
> posts
> > for information.
> >
> > The law of Linux:  learn what you don't know, teach what you do.
> >
> > --
> > Rinaldi]$
> > "Defeat may serve as well as victory, to shake the soul and let the
> > glory out." --Poet Edwin Markham (c. 1898)
> >

> How can you disable the hpt? I can't find anything in the bios to
> disable it it, the "integrated peripherals" screen has options to
> disable ide1 and ide2, but that's the 2 33 ide ports. Now the blue hpt
> screen says press ctrl-H to configure, but hitting it and/or holding it
> down doesn't do anything. I can't enter the highpoint config screen at
> all.

As I said earlier, I don't believe it's possible.  Unless someone writes
a BIOS flash designed to do that.

--

------------------------------

From: "castro62" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH6.2 with 3 NICs on a Dell Dimension L800r ??
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:24:49 -0000

I agree with Steve.
to check if yu have a routing issue  try thi command to ping :
ping -n xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

-n disables the name lookup

"Thierry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I'm trying to configure a firewall with RedHat 6.2 on a Dell Dimension
L800r

------------------------------

From: Martin Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware list:  HP Vectra VL600 Mk II 32Mb Matrox G400 4x AGP,
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:34:55 +0000

Dear Folks,

I have a PC being offered to me, but I don't know if it will work with
Linux, specifically the 32Mb Matrox G400 4x AGP and the CrystalClear 16
bit Full Duplex. Any ideas if it will work? Any help would be gratefully
received, as I don't have long to deicde!

P.S. in case of E-mails remove the nospam.

Specifications.
HP Vectra VL600 Mk II

Processor
                Pentium III 866 MHz
Cache Size/Type
                256Kb Level 2
Standard Pre installed Memory
                128Mb RAMBUS
Video/Graphics
                32Mb Matrox G400 4x AGP
PCI Set
                Intel 820
Hard Disk Interface & Size
                15Gb Ultra ATA/66 (FAT32
                Partitioned as C : 3.75Gb, D :11.25Gb)
DVD-Rom Drive
                8x DVD ROM IDE Drive
Sound
                CrystalClear 16 bit Full Duplex
                (SoundBlaster compatible)
Networking
                Intel Pro 100+ 100BaseT,10baseTX
Serial Port
                2 x 16550 UART

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cups demon daemon
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:26:16 +0100

Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:36:06 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have read docs till I am blue in the face. If it was not for
> linuxprinting.org, I'd still be reading. The man pages for lprm AND
> cancel indicate these can be used to cancel a print job. Either I am
> missing something (quite possible), or they don't do it in this
> situation. Perhaps, these are only for queued jobs, and not actively
> printing jobs? In which case, what commands are there to stop a run away
> print job?

lprm will stop something that can be stopped. If it's already in
your printer and printing, then, obviously, it's too late and you have
to attack the printer to stop the part that's printing.

> FWIW, the only way I could stop the printer from gobbling up paper, was
> to kill a process something like 'parallel://lp0' (or similar), and then
> turn the printer off. At least this is what seemed to do the trick. This

Surprise, surprise.

> after stopping the cups daemon. I couldn't find any non-empty spool
> files either. Does it spool in RAM?

Yep. In your printer's ram, to be precise.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Peach)
Subject: Re: How to save xvidtune settings?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix,alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:52:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|>In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|>> I have Fetched the number from xvidtune and put them where I think
|>> they're supposed to be in /etc/X11/XF86Config but still no luck.
|>
|>> Any suggestions?
|>
|>That you think wrong. Either your entry in the file is worng/misplaced,
|>or that is not the configuration file.

Probably config file. I installed XFree86 4 from source and had no
problems; but I have seen that some distributions have renamed
XF86Config to XF86Config4 (or something like that). Gives you something
to look for :-)

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CD-R and SCSI harddrive
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:56:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hy everybody,
>
> I've got the problem, that I can't use my CD-R (which is an IDE device)
> with my other hardware (SCSI Controller with 3 harddrives, a ZIP drive
> and a SCSI Scanner).
>
> The SuSE support data base says, that ... CD-Writer IDE-SCSI emulation
> does not work if you have SCSI harddisk and IDE CD-R...

I have no idea why it would say that, because it's not true.

> Does anybody have an idea how it will work nevertheless??

Yes.  When you use ide-scsi, the ide controller shows up as another
SCSI controller.  There's no problem with multiple SCSI controllers.
My second IDE channel has an ATAPI CD-R on it, and shows up as the
third SCSI controller in my system.  I don't currently have any SCSI
hard drives attached, but do have every other type of SCSI device
working fine.  The IDE hard drive works fine, as an IDE device.  The
ATAPI CD-R works fine, as an emulated SCSI device.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: 23 Jan 2001 09:58:10 -0500

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:26:16 +0100, Peter T. Breuer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:36:06 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have read docs till I am blue in the face. If it was not for
>> linuxprinting.org, I'd still be reading. The man pages for lprm AND
>> cancel indicate these can be used to cancel a print job. Either I am
>> missing something (quite possible), or they don't do it in this
>> situation. Perhaps, these are only for queued jobs, and not actively
>> printing jobs? In which case, what commands are there to stop a run away
>> print job?
>
>lprm will stop something that can be stopped. If it's already in
>your printer and printing, then, obviously, it's too late and you have
>to attack the printer to stop the part that's printing.

I turned it off at least 10 times. When turned back on, it picked up
right where it left off.

>> FWIW, the only way I could stop the printer from gobbling up paper,
>> was to kill a process something like 'parallel://lp0' (or similar),
>> and then turn the printer off. At least this is what seemed to do
>> the trick. This
>
>Surprise, surprise.
>
>> after stopping the cups daemon. I couldn't find any non-empty spool
>> files either. Does it spool in RAM?
>
>Yep. In your printer's ram, to be precise.

Even when turned off? It has to be somewhere else, at least in this
case. Apparently memory used by parallel://lp0? But is there a command
short of kill KILL to stop this process?

--
Hal B

From: "Frank Riley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slow system, SCSI to blame?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:05:10 -0700

I also got the following numbers with bonnie:

              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential
Input-- --Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per
Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec
%CPU
          100    37 99.1  2171 71.9  1234 85.3    38 99.3  2857 83.8  54.1
28.7

news:94jd38$17c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:03:25 -0500

This is a resend.  Originally sent Mon 7:17 PM EST

I suspect it may be an issue with new/quoted text.  Will snip
(grudgingly) quoted material.

Adam Becker wrote:

<snip technical background stuff, hrumph>

I'm going to include some data from my system configuration.  I don't
recall all the steps I went through to arrive at this, but *it works*.

Note that the patch applied to the kernel (2.2.18) is Hedricks 12/21
patch.  Previous patch would boot from floppy but not from mbr.  Note
also that 2.4.0 fails from the mbr as well.  Will boot from floppy but
there are other issues keeping me from using it.

You may have to modify some of these entries e.g. idecd.  I use
scsi/atapi for CD writing per cdrecord; if you don't do this configure
for ide.  I suppose you have enough common sense to determine what your
chipset and other hardware require.

# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_EXPERIMENTAL=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD7409 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OSB4 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set

Your /etc/lilo.conf may also require some fine tuning.  Again this works
quite well:

boot = /dev/hda
timeout = 50
prompt
  default = linux18-100
  vga = normal
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install = /boot/boot.b

disk = /dev/hda #first hd detected is always "a"
 bios = 0x80    #bios of first hd is always 0x80

disk = /dev/hdb
 bios = 0x81

#/dev/hdc and /dev/hdd are cdrom's.

disk = /dev/hde
 bios = 0x82

disk = /dev/hdg
 bios = 0x83

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18
  label = linux18-100
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdg3
  append = "ide0 = 0x1f0, 0x3f6 ide1 = 0x170, 0x376 ide2 = 0xbc00,
0xc002 ide3 = 0xc400, 0x802"

image = /boot/kernel-2.2.18
  label = linux18
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdb7
  append = "ide0 = 0x1f0, 0x3f6 ide1 = 0x170, 0x376 ide2 = 0xbc00,
0xc002 ide3 = 0xc400, 0x802"

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0
  label = linux24
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdg3

other = /dev/hda1
  label = dos

Make sure your BIOS is set for a P n P OS and auto handles the irq's.  I
believe linux is supposed to handle them if the BIOS doesn't, but I
can't prove that.  And I know it failed when I disabled it in BIOS.

BTW, I did notice something strange with my Western Digitals on the
Promise controller.  As you can see I have them on ide2 and ide3.  I
found that if I set the jumpers in the "master" position it wouldn't
work.  Leaving the jumpers either off or in some inconsequential
position works fine.

--
Rinaldi]$

------------------------------

From: Henning Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A7V-133 IDE raid support?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:58:38 +0100

Hello everyone,
i have heard with the new ASUS A7V-133 mainboard comes a hardware ide-raid
controller, is it known to be supported? Is it known if someone is working at
drivers (Kernelsupport) for this feature?
Or is it maybe allready supported and i just don't know?
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Henning Evers

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding second drive to ATA66 controller
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:26:08 -0500

==============690BC4ED3C858D4C282B31C2

Not having any other info, I would check the dumb stuff first:

1) Cables all fully connected (sometimes in the process of navigating around the
inside of the PC, connectors pull partially loose)

2) The jumpers are properly set on the drives (double check)

3) The BIOS recognizes both drives properly. Make sure it can auto detect both
drives and see them as master slave and the correct capacities.

You shouldn't have to tell LILO anything about the second drive (unless you made
the new drive the master and the old drive the slave, which would not work).

Mark

ekk wrote:

> Hello,
> Sorry to bother you again - I'm trying to put a 2nd drive on the same
> cable as the first on my promise controller.  According to the
> documentation I've found on the web and with the controller, it should
> be as simple as setting one to master an the other to slave.  But, I've
> done that but it hangs during boot at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data'.
> Everything is fine with only one drive.  Do I need to tell Lilo
> something before I install the drive?
> Thanks,
> Ken
==============690BC4ED3C858D4C282B31C2

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Travan atapi tape woes.....
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:29:19 -0500

==============F784AFC83854915E12A6A537

Do you have IDE/ATAPI tape drive support compiled in your kernel, or at least
compiled as a module?

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't print to my printer, but Win machines can!
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:32:43 -0500

==============5E9506492764967A582778C0

What do your printcap entries look like for this printer?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (-J=P-)
Subject: Re: Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI Winmodem ?? Can be used for Linux ?
Date: 23 Jan 2001 09:32:48 -0600

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:29:05 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>    I have a Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI modem. I thing that it
>>is a Winmodem. It has a Rockwell RLVDL56 DPF / SP
>>R6785-61  chipset.
>>    Is there any way that this modem can be used with Linux and
>>if so, how?
>
>No, it is a controllerless modem in the Rockwell HCF family.  There is no
>Linux driver available for it at this time.  Sorry :(
>
>Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Are there any projects in the offing for drivers for HCF modems?
I'd be interested in contributing a small amount of money or any
coding help I could give.

jp

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Funny Pixels on screen
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:38:48 -0500

==============DA26CA90B4E8B96F615411A0

If the exact configuration (drivers, monitor, video card, Linux version) you
have used to work consistently before and now it's starting to fail, then I
would hazard a guess that it may be a failure of your video car.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:31:28 +0100

Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:26:16 +0100, Peter T. Breuer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:36:06 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy
> I turned it off at least 10 times. When turned back on, it picked up
> right where it left off.

It's just about possible that the daemon might delete the file before
sending it all to the printer, but I don't believe it!

>>> after stopping the cups daemon. I couldn't find any non-empty spool
>>> files either. Does it spool in RAM?
>>
>>Yep. In your printer's ram, to be precise.

> Even when turned off? It has to be somewhere else, at least in this
> case. Apparently memory used by parallel://lp0? But is there a command

If it started printing again after having been turned off, and
the printer ram is volatile, then it has to come from a process somewhere,
and that process by any rule of design has to be reading from a file
or a filter.

> short of kill KILL to stop this process?

You probably didn't recognize the process or possibly the file. The daemon
has to fork while handling the job, and it's that child process that you
need to kill. If the master daemon can't kill the child via a runtime
directive, then that's its problem, and you need to notify the authors.

Caveat: I only use bsd lpd myself.  I don't know why people think it's
fashionable or useful to start using something else.  lprng looked
incomprehensible last I saw.

OT: Mind you, I said the same about PAM until I studied it a couple of
weeks ago, and discovered that it IS incomprehensible, but only because
the documentation is written by solaris manpage escapees.  If you ignore
sufficient of the docs you can abstract the semantics.

       The  third  field,  control, indicates the behavior of the
       PAM-API should the module fail to succeed in its authenti
       cation task. Valid control values are: requisite - failure
       of such a PAM results in the immediate termination of  the
       authentication  process;  required - failure of such a PAM
       will ultimately lead to the PAM-API returning failure  but
       only after the remaining stacked modules (for this service
       and type) have been invoked; sufficient - success of  such
       a  module is enough to satisfy the authentication require
       ments of the stack of modules (if a prior required  module
       has failed the success of this one is ignored); optional -
       the success or failure of this module is only important if
       it  is  the  only module in the stack associated with this
       service+type.

Uh, duh, what they MEAN is that

      foo sufficient ; ..  = foo || ..
      foo requisite  ; ..  = foo && ..
      foo required   ; ..  = ..  && foo
      foo optional   ; ..  = ..  || foo

and I bet they don't know they mean that.

Peter

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanning SCSI hardware after startup
Date: 24 Jan 2001 00:43:44 +0900

    max> Hi all, I would like to know how to rescan the SCSI
    max> controller for new hardware. I have a PCI SCSI adapter with 2
    max> devices attached to it: a CDRW (internal) and a tape drive
    max> (external).  The tape device is an older Python DAT drive,
    max> which has it's own power supply & cooler, so it generates a
    max> lot of heat and makes a lot of noise.  Since I don't use it
    max> that much, I mostly have it switched off. When the device is
    max> 'down', the SCSI controller doesn't see it at boot time of
    max> course and the system just sees the internal SCS This means
    max> that when I want to use it the only way to get it 'known' in
    max> my Linux (RH7.0) is to reboot the machine. I can understand
    max> the reboot if it was a Windows-system, but surely there's a
    max> Linux command somewhere which will rescan the bus at
    max> 'controller-level'...

those pythons are cool -- they do dat audio.  i have one from sgi, and
boy is it noisy.  i use it to back up my indy and copy audio tapes,
otherwise, i want it off.  (i've been thinking of finding a quieter
fan, or just removing the drive from the beige (!) case and running it
internally.)

anyway, the answer is simple my friend: just modularise
your kernel, and when you want to grapple with that python,
do like this:

> modprobe -r scsimod

(switch on power, hear roaring of python)

modprobe scsimod

hope that helps,

g.m.

Well, O.K.  I'll compromise with my principles because of EXISTENTIAL
DESPAIR!