Linux-Hardware Digest #259, Volume #10           Tue, 18 May 99 01:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Future Domain for Adaptec 2920? ("LHD Administrator")
  Re: However my ATI RAGE 128 AGP 8MB doesn´t work ("marc*")
  Re: Build or buy? (Rod Roark)
  hilfe fúr Internetverbindung aufbau mit ISDN und Suse 6.1 ("joel Acclassato")
  Please HELP: 3c905b-tx NIC does only transfer about 2,5MByte/s ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Zip Drive and ext2 (Kyle Dansie)
  Re: Problem Getting My Sound Card to Work.... (Brian Miller)
  Re: ORB Drives under Linux ("liz polentas")
  spin down scsi-discs (Martin Sommer)
  Re: Lexmark 5000 color ("Darrell Candis")
  Gateway Destination video config. (alman)
  Re: ABit BH6: 4 PCI cards ("David Loi")
  NIC and Modem Coordination ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PCI Modem - lost cause? (trhyne)
  Re: RedHat Linux 5.2 Deluxe Operating System (jik-)
  Viper 550 AGP ("Scu News")
  SupraSonic II modem from Diamond ("Chad and Cheryl Stephens")
  Re: netcomm inmodem336 ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: Will RH 6.0 work with my LS-120 (IDE - internal) ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: Viper 550 AGP (Bernd Huebenett)

From: "LHD Administrator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Future Domain for Adaptec 2920?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:34:43 -0400

Fred wrote in message <01bea026$e4a6f160$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I want to install the Adaptec 2920 on my machine, through this list I got a
>tip that this SCSI card use some Future Domain drivers.
[snip]
>Or can I find these drivers anywhere? Anybody knows....?

You would need to include aic7xxx support into your kernel -- using a
module, by rebuilding the kernel with appropriate config or getting a kernel
somewhere (slackware or RedHat) that includes support for this card.  It's
an AIC7856 chip, used in other cheaper Adaptec Fast SCSI cards.

LHD Administrator

From: "marc*" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,es.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: However my ATI RAGE 128 AGP 8MB doesn´t work
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 01:37:35 +0200

first, have you enabled support for framebuffer in kernel !!!???

<7hpiqb$ijd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Build or buy?
Date: 18 May 1999 00:36:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>So, my boss told me on Friday to go and get myself a new computer and
>send him the bill.  He said, as long as it came in under $3000, it was
>okay by him.
>My enthusiasm was somewhat abated when I started pricing out individual
>components and estimating the amount of *time* involved in setting up a
>custom system compared to just plunking down $3000 for a loaded Dell.
>What I am in fact *supposed* to be doing with this new box is writing a
>WinNT GUI for some simulation software, and I need to get started, like,
>NOW (which is why I was instructed to go out and buy a new machine).
>What if I bought a bunch of parts and it took me 2-3 weeks to get them
>all working right?  Such a delay would be _EXPENSIVE_....

Why settle for dual boot?  For $3K you can get two nice machines, one
for NT and one for Linux.  Put a nice monitor on the NT box and run an
X server on it.  Surely the Linux box can serve a useful purpose in
your office, and you can take your time with it while you bang out
that nasty old Windows code.  :-)

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: "joel Acclassato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questionsalt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: hilfe fúr Internetverbindung aufbau mit ISDN und Suse 6.1
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:29:25 +0200

Hi Leute ich wohne in Koeln und brauche hilfe für die Aufbau ein
Internetverbindung mit linux Suse 6.1 und ISDN . Hat jemand ein bissen Zeit
und mir dabei zu helfen.
DANKE !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please HELP: 3c905b-tx NIC does only transfer about 2,5MByte/s
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:40:57 GMT

Hello!

I were very glad about, if you could help me. I'm not very familier
in linux.

I have bought 2 3c905b NIC's. One of them I installed on my NT4-Server
and the other I installed on my linux-box.

Linux-Box:
2xP166
Tyan Tomcat III MPS
Maxtor IDE Drive (UDMA2).
Redhat 5.2
Kernel 2.2.1
Date of file 3c59x.c 7/5/1999

I set both cards to Full-Duplex 100MBps. Then I compiled the kernel
and modules with the option 'CPU is to slow to handle full bandwith'
to get the maximum network performance.

Well, I thought this is all and expected a tranfer rate about 7-8
MByte/s.
But instead of I only get about 2570 kBytes/s. This realy sucks! Then
I changed the network cable with no results.
I transfered a 470MByte-file and then I checked with 'ifconfig' my
eth1: Only few (about 50 from maybe about 80000) Rx-errors.

Ping stats (all values are ca.):
to eth0 (3com 3c900, gateway, 10MBits/s, 10BaseT, IRQ12):   0,3ms
to eth1 (3com 3c905b, local, 100BaseT, IRQ10, PROBLEMCARD): 6,2ms !!!
to eth2 (Realtec 8029, local, 10Base2, IRQ11):              0,6ms

What I tried until now:
-changed BIOS for 'No pnp' -> nothing happened
-changed Cable to a shorter one -> only about 5kBytes/s difference
-changed Adapter SLOT (though I know that all PCI-slots are BUSMASTER)
-used another 100MBit-NIC on my NT4-box -> no changes
-read NET3-HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/Modules-HOWTO
-checked Donald Beckers page for support (hmmm...)
-read mailing lists -> but not understood all (especially, those
 depends on my problem :(

If you need *any* information additionally, then let me know!

I realy don't know what to do now. Again: Please help me!!!!!!!!!!
I'm interested in EVERY opinion/suggestion.

Thanx in advance!
Yours sincerely
 Erkan

PS: If you reply, then please send a copy to my email adress, too.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:38:37 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip Drive and ext2

"Zachary C. Whitley" wrote:

> I've been trying to make an ext2fs on a zip disk
> and am having some problems.
>
> When I try to verify the partition table with fdisk
> after creating a Linux Native partition it tells
> me that there are 31 unused cylindars. If I ignore
> that and make the file system (mkfs.ext2) everything
> seems to work OK but when I run fdisk again it doesn't
> list any partitions on the disk.
>
> and does anyone know why dos uses the 4th partition?

Iomega likes to use number 4. Someone said they do that because the mac
uses number 4. I dont really know for sure. You can use any number you
want actually.

If you have unused cylinders, make sure the geomtry is correct for the
disk. My zip100 has
64 heads 32 sectors 96 cylinders

To build the partition use
fdisk /dev/sda

To build the file system use
mke2fs /dev/sda1
note the 1, not a 4. Use whatever number you assigned the partition in
fdisk. I prefer 1, but this is just my preference.

Cheers,
Kyle Dansie

------------------------------

From: Brian Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem Getting My Sound Card to Work....
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:50:35 +1000

Andrew Coppersmith wrote:

> I have an ESS 1869 sound card, and everytime I try setting it up it gives me
> a message saying the device is busy.  How can I correct this problem.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew Coppersmith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Andrew,

If you want to get deeper into Linux, and get the card working,
take a look at my web page on the ESS 1868.  There's not a great
deal of difference between the two.

   http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

Hope this helps.

Brian
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Brian Miller                                 Telstra

------------------------------

From: "liz polentas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ORB Drives under Linux
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 07:12:53 +0200

as far as we are aware you do not need drivers for ide or scsi internal,
however you do need for external drives.
regards
james polentas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Martin Sommer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: spin down scsi-discs
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:11:35 +0200

Does anybody know a way to spin down SCSI-discs by apm?
I  found an old version of scsi-idle that doesn´t work with my 2.2
-kernel. I tried out scsi-stop ans scsi-start, these programs are doing
what they are supposed to, but they don´t make much sense if the discs
don´t spin up itself.
Perhaps you know a proper way to spin down  scsi-hds after a specified
time and to spin up automatically.

Martin Sommer

------------------------------

From: "Darrell Candis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark 5000 color
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 22:11:22 -0400

Go to www.dejanews.com and do a search for Lexmark 5700 and linux. There is
a driver and it works well (I'm running it now). However, I can't remember
the URL.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (alman)
Subject: Gateway Destination video config.
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:15:18 GMT

Does anyone know where I can get  configuration info for a Gateway
Destination video card. I am trying to get this card to work using Red
Hat 6.0.  Also need info about setting up Brooktree video capture that
is on this card. TIA.

------------------------------

From: "David Loi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: ABit BH6: 4 PCI cards
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:36:35 -0700

Upgrading to the KG BIOS will allow you to assign IRQs to PCI slots 1-4.

Visit my site - Project: Untitled
http://www.jps.net/davidloi/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NIC and Modem Coordination
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:19:54 GMT

I've recently arrived home from college and have
a question about how to disable my ethernet card
(as it takes approx. 4 minutes to fail on boot)
now that I am no longer connected to my campus
network, such that I can later reactivate it.

Also, I need to now buy a modem to utilize my
families ISP account. If anyone has can point
me to a model that works particularly well with
Linux it would be much appreciated.

System: RedHat 6.0

Thanks,
-Dave

From: trhyne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:41:19 GMT

michael sulis wrote:

> Hey there, just installed Redhat 5.1, no real troubles except for the
> modem...
>
> it's a 56K v.90 PCI modem, and it has no UART - so i'm not sure how to
> get it to work... i've seen discouraging things here and there, but was
> wondering if anyone knows of drivers being worked on or anything else
> that might help me get it going...
>
> it's a PCtel chipset, built by Newcom, ATI3 responds "PCtel 7.61MS" in
> case anyone cares ;)
>
> thanks for any help you might offer...
> michael
> (and yeah i know, external modem. what the hell was i thinking?)
>
> --
> email| [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> fax| 707.220.7992
> acadia competition| http://www.apc.net/msulis
> thesis proposal| http://www.apc.net/msulis/proposal.pdf

Is it a winmodem? I have a diamond internal works ok. Is it plug and play
and which com ports you have open?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:51:55 -0700
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: RedHat Linux 5.2 Deluxe Operating System

Andrew Meyer wrote:

> I am a newbie to the Linux/unix envrionment and interested in becoming more
> knowledgeable.  But lately for some reason whenenver I install a copy of
> RedHat's Linux 5.2 Deluxe OS during the install it wants me to specify the
> types of drives or something like that for the partitions.  If you know
> anything about this then please e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  What are
> the specific drive names?  Also what is the command for mounting a CDROM
> drive? and is there any GUI copmression utlility for Linux that is similar
> to Winzip or Aladdin?  And please if you could help me with the C source
> code compiling it would mean a great deal to me!!!

Read the Linux Installation and Getting Started Guide which is a book
which can be downloaded or vewied at http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

------------------------------

From: "Scu News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper 550 AGP
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:53:51 +1000

Does anyone know how to get the Diaomond Viper 550 (Nvidia TNT Chipset) AGP
Card to run X under Redhat 5.2? I can't even get it to run in the simplest
VGA mode.  Also, does anyone know of any 3D drivers for it?
Thanks
Cam

------------------------------

From: "Chad and Cheryl Stephens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SupraSonic II modem from Diamond
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:43:46 -0500

Has anyone got the Diamond SupraSonic II dual modem to work under Linux ???

I am looking at buying one and shotgunning my ISP for an ~100Kbs connection.

Regards,
Chad

------------------------------

Date: 17 May 99 22:19:58 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netcomm inmodem336

Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Hefty Smurf;

 HS> I am having problems with my modem.  It is a netcomm inmodem336
 HS> and linux doesn't want to know it is there.  I've tried using a
 HS> friends external modem which works fine but the internal one
 HS> doesn't want to co-operate.  Is this a linux thing with internal
 HS> modems or is it my modem.  Maybe it is not powering on because I
 HS> know in windows sometimes I have to reboot to get it going.
 HS> Anyway all help will be accepted

Does the 'inmodem336' have a missing 'w' in front of it?  If so, end of
discussion.  'Winmodems' do not work with linux because the jerks who
make them won't release enough info that a linux driver can be written
for them.  Why?  Proprietary Information.  Most of the smarts built into
the average external modem have been moved into the pc, and run on the
pc's cpu, and the card itself is pretty cheap and pretty dumb.

Go get a real modem.  If it says anyplace on the box that it 'requires'
windoze, look further, its not worth the petrol  to haul its butt home.

I'm useing a Zoom external, dual mode, about 90 USD, cheaper if you
net shop.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

Date: 17 May 99 22:22:50 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will RH 6.0 work with my LS-120 (IDE - internal)

Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Mitch ;

> Will RH 6.0 work with my LS-120 (IDE - internal). Also wondering
> about my RivaTNT video card (Viper V550 - AGP) and SoundBlaster
> AWE32 which has an IDE connector on-board.

They work just fine as long as you do a mkfs on the disk, at least as a
120 megger on their disks.

Cheers, Gene

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 05:44:39 +0200
From: Bernd Huebenett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Viper 550 AGP

Hello,

i'm using a Elsa Erazor II with the same chipset and AGP and don't have a any
problems with X
Use the standart SVGA Server.