From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: multiple ethernet cards
Date: 27 Jan 2001 02:21:42 GMT

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:32:57 -0500, James Johnson staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>If my box has two ethernet cards, can I explicitly assign one to be eth0
>and the other to be eth1?

If they're of different types, it's easy:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c509

in /etc/modules.conf , for example.  If both the cards are the same
make+model, the cards will be picked up in a consistent order as long as
they're plugged into the same PCI slots, but there's no way to know what
that order will be before trying it out.  Write "eth0" and "eth1" on
masking-tape labels next to the RJ-45 plugs once you've figured out
which one's which, if that's your situation....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: AMR modem & CS4280 sound chib
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:43:40 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:27:51 GMT, Hossam Hossny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Well them maybe something else is wrong but you really do want to load
>> snd-card-something.  Just snd-something won't ever initialize the
>card.
>> FWIW here's the appropriate part of my modules.conf (might be
>conf.modules
>> on your system):
>>
>> # --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.2 ---
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-opl3sa2
>> alias char-major-14 soundcore
>> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
>> options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=4 snd_device_mode=0660
>> snd_device_gid
>> options snd-card-opl3sa2 snd_port=0x370 \
>>  snd_sb_port=0x220 snd_wss_port=0x530 snd_fm_port=0x388
>snd_midi_port=0x330 \
>>  snd_irq=9 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=3 snd_isapnp=0
>>
>> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>>
>> Here's the output of lsmod when everything's working:
>>
>> ppp_deflate            39404   2  (autoclean)
>> bsd_comp                3892   0  (autoclean)
>> ppp                    20140   2  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
>> slhc                    4372   1  (autoclean) [ppp]
>> snd-pcm1-oss           13192   0  (autoclean)
>> snd-mixer-oss           3992   1  (autoclean)
>> snd-card-opl3sa2        9148   1
>> snd-seq-device          3472   1  [snd-card-opl3sa2]
>> isapnp                 25065   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2]
>> snd-cs4231             17516   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2]
>> snd-mixer              25728   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-card-opl3sa2
>> snd-cs4231]
>> snd-pcm1               16956   0  [snd-pcm1-oss snd-cs4231]
>> snd-pcm                 9068   0  [snd-pcm1-oss snd-card-opl3sa2 snd-
>cs4231
>> snd-pcm1]
>> snd-mpu401-uart         1880   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2]
>> snd-midi               12844   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2 snd-mpu401-uart]
>> snd-opl3                2052   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2]
>> snd-timer               7964   0  [snd-cs4231 snd-pcm1 snd-opl3]
>> snd-hwdep               2700   0  [snd-card-opl3sa2 snd-opl3]
>> snd                    34956   1  [snd-pcm1-oss snd-mixer-oss
>> snd-card-opl3sa2 snd-seq-device snd-cs4231 snd-mixer snd-pcm1 snd-pcm
>> snd-mpu401-uart snd-midi snd-opl3 snd-timer snd-hwdep]
>> soundcore               2596   4  [snd]
>> ds                      6536   2
>> i82365                 28516   2
>> pcmcia_core            44384   0  [ds i82365]
>> toshiba                 2409   0
>>
>> If you havn't already check out the Alsa mailing list archives linked
>of the
>> main site.
>>
>> Good Luck
>> --
>> Ray
>>

>that's another problem...when I do "modprobe snd-card-*" nothing really
>loaded...but when I do "modprobe snd-*" I find a a lot of modules

Well it could be that the cs461x driver doesn't support your particular
sound chip or that it needs you to specify certain parameters (io port, dmas
etc).  A look at the alsa mailing list archives should tell you if your
wasting your time.  When you try to load snd-card-cs461x are any errors
logged (use 'dmesg' to check)?  Have you tried compiling alsa with the
"--with-debug=full" option?  At the very least with debugging on you should
be able to determine if the driver either isn't finding a supported sound
device at all or is finding it but having trouble using it.

>here's a part of my modules.conf:
># ALSA portion
>alias char-major-116 snd
>alias snd-card-0 snd-cs461x <---- not snd-card-cs461x which is not
>working !!!

It will never in a million years work without snd-card-something on that
line.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.2600.hackerz,alt.hackers.groups,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Hey! Dial Up Question!
Date: 27 Jan 2001 02:52:03 GMT

Sorry to cross post on this very post, but oh well....

I was wondering if anyone know where or of a web site I can get a list of
error message, and number (e.g. Error 680: There is no dial tone...). This
is for dial up.

TIA

P.S. Don't Flame!

Oh, for everyone from alt.2600.hackerz, I m still at home, but I dont check
the newsgroup, I wont be for a week left.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: ide cd-rw and scsi harddrives
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:05:47 -0000

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:03:03 GMT, hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Dances With Crows wrote:
>>
>> This is really f***ed up; a CD-RW should not appear as "sda" no matter
>> what.  When you get back into the system, make sure that ide-scsi
>> support is built as a module, not directly into the kernel, and this
>> should not present a problem to the booting process as long as you're
>> not using a RAMdisk.  (RAMdisks are completely unnecessary if you
>> compile SCSI support, SCSI disk support, and support for your particular
>> brand of SCSI adapter directly into the kernel.  Their only purpose is
>> for installation and rescue systems; IMHO RedHat's reliance on the
>> RAMdisk causes more problems and confusion than it solves.)
>>
>My ide-scsi support is compiled directly into the kernel, and works.
>I agree about initrd; I don't use it.

But you have a working system.  For someone with a cdrw taking the place of
one of his hard drives then being able to disable it or at least force it to
load after the drives are up would be a good thing.

>> Also go into the BIOS and disable (U)DMA for this device; CD-ROM-type
>> devices don't need it, most of them can't use it, and trying to use it
>> with a CD-ROM can cause funky errors like that to happen.
>>
>My ATAPI burner has DMA enabled, as is recommended for this drive, and
>it works.  This is drive specific.  Some don't like it, mine does, and
>it allows me to burn CD-R's while hammering on the hard drive pretty
>hard.

Well, all cdrs will work with dma off but only will work with it on and his
isn't working.....

>> Anyway:  boot from a bootdisk (you DO have a bootdisk, right?
>> http://www.toms.net/rb/ if you don't, and keep 2 or 3 copies around) or
>> boot from a bootable CD ("linux root=/dev/sda3" or wherever your real
>> root partition is) then see if you can make those changes discussed in
>> the first paragraph.  HTH, bonne chance....
>>
>You need RAMdisk support if you want to create a customized version of
>Tom's RB.  ;-)
>
>I'm not trying to be disagreeable, I just think it's odd that my
>experience seems to point in different directions than yours.

Trouble shooting a non working system is different than performance tuning a
working one.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: "Kris Rahardja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MIPS/Linux Evaluation Boards
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:07:51 -0800

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for an development platform /
evaluation boards to do some prototyping on MIPS/Linux.
After some digging, the candidates are the Algorithmics
(www.algor.co.uk) and V3 (www.vcubed.com). Any take
on which is a better alternative? From other company(ies)?
My constraints are dev tools and the version of Linux that
works on it (i.e. require little or no work from any of the
public distributions).

Thanks beforehand,
Kris

------------------------------

From: "Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A7V promise IDE controler WITH UDMA MODE
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:09:47 GMT

Weird. I got my A7V with the Promise ATA100 working in UDMA mode using
kernel 2.4.0-test11 or so. test10-12. One in the range. Right now it's
screwed though and my machine wont even boot....I screwed something up.

In any case, it worked fine for me.

- Frank

news:Di6c6.2080$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.2600.hackerz,alt.hackers.groups,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hey! Dial Up Question!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:11:58 GMT

"HOLY SHIT!" wrote:

> Sorry to cross post on this very post, but oh well....

Better to cross post than multi post.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.018% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:26:57 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:40:07 -0500, Tina Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Yes if person is using older linux version I think there is.

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote i
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> >Hi There
>> >I didn't know Gig cpu works with Linux there is no info about them...
>> >You sure it's working??
>>
>> Yes, everything works fine excepting UDMA feature.
>> Is there a difference of behaviour between
>> Gig cpu and others with Linux?

> Yes if person is using older linux version I think there is.

Are you sure you arn't thinking of 2GHz?  That was just added recently but
1GHz cpus have been supported for about as long as they have existed (on
Intel anyway).

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: matrox mystique  MGA G200 AGP
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:48:46 -0000

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:05:25 GMT, Assihm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hello :)
>
>configuring the X window system on Deb2.2 box im not able to see the
>right reference in the card database so i cannot make X running. Using
>lspci i find that the video card is a Matrox Mystique MGA G200 AGP,
>openeing the box i cannot read whats on the video chip because its
>covered. is there some particular thing to do to make my X window system
>working properly with a AGP video card?

I have the same card and don't remember doing anything special to get it
going on my Debian box but that was a while ago.  If you don't see an entry
for the Mystique look for Milenium G200 instead.  The Mystique has video out
and a slower ramdac but is otherwise identical and uses the same driver (the
svga server).  BTW are you using XF86Setup or xf86config to set up X?  Do
you have the standard svga server installed?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: how do I mount my tape drive?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:53:18 GMT

I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to access
my tape drive.  I have tried:
mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape

but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have added
the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.

darren welson

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:24:10 +1100

Darren and Marla Welson wrote:

> I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to
> access
> my tape drive.  I have tried:
> mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
> but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have
> added the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
>
> darren welson

I do not think you can mount a tape drive.

You might need to use tar, dd, cpio kind of utilities to perform backup.

"dmesg" command would provide useful information about both SCSI card and
tape drive if they were initialised by kernel.

Generally the device files for SCSI tape drives are /dev/st0, /dev/st1 and
so on.

Hari.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Shaffer, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP and sound driver question
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:25:05 -0500

I remember reading a while ago that there was some sort of problem with the
driver for the Soundblaster Live card and SMP systems.  Has this been fixed?
Also, are there any other known hardware issues with SMP?

--
Earth for Earthlings!

------------------------------

From: "Yurik Nazaroff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit KT7A-RAID Linux
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:29:53 +0300

Hello!

I am planning to buy a new server and I am considering Abit KT7A RAID
motherboard -- I want inexpensive hardware RAID mirroring.  I plan to
have only two identical HDDs on the RAID adapter working in mirror (or
perhaps stripe+mirror) mode.

Can someone please comment on the following questions:

1)  Will I be able to boot up linux from the RAID array?
2)  How stable is RAID support in 2.2 and 2.4 kernels (for production
environment)?
3)  Does it really make sense or it would be better to use software
RAID?

BTW is there any glitches using Athlons in production servers running
say IBM or Sun JDK?

Thanks in advance.

--
Yurik

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Traw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux Sucks :(
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:33:49 -0600

Linux Newbie go with  Mandrake

news:797c6.2100$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem Prolbem
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:45:06 -0500

Linux = Problems

------------------------------

From: "japhilp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:46:34 GMT

I think the svga server for 3.3.6 handles the g200 chips.

For 4.0.x range, I believe there is an "mga" driver for it.

Know that the g200 gave me the least problems .All the time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: newbie-ethernet config problem
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:58:53 -0000

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:27:34 -0800, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I had a fairly successful installation of turbolinux
>workstation 6.1.(linux kernel-2.2.16). Everything seems
>to be working satisfactory so far, except for the ethernet/DSL
>network card. It is a Linksys fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100.
>It is mounted on the PCI bus and is supposed to be compatible
>with the tulip.o driver. When reading the documentation for
>the network card it states that it is not possible to set the
>IRQ for the card directly and that you must use the bios or OS
>software to do this at bootup or when the OS takes over.

It sounds like the documentation may be badly worded.  PCI devices are
ALWAYS assigned their IRQs by the bios.

<SNIP>

>My bios is Award bios XXX with XXX plug and play extension. So far, I
>have
>left everything the same in the bios, where it states the OS is a Pnp OS
>
>and that mapping of the IRQ should be done by the OS. From what I have
>recently read this should work with this version of the kernel.

PnP OS is often best set to NO even with Win. but that's not causing your
problem.  That setting ONLY affects ISA PnP devices not PCI devices.

>I think my problem is in one or two areas. Either the tulip.o driver
>in the 2.2.16 kernel does not support this card. Or I am having IRQ
>conflicts?

Well, Lynksys did put out several different models of that card and each has
required newer versions of the tulip driver to work but don't worry about
that just yet.

>I noticed in the /proc/pci that both the USB controller and the ethernet
>
>controller are using IRQ 11?

That "could" cause a problem and would be fixable by moving the ethernet card
to a different slot but I don't think that's your real problem either.

>Any help anyone could offer is very much appreciated, thanks!

Looking at your bootup messages it appears your Linux isn't even trying to
initialize the card.  If it were having trouble you would see "tulip" or
"tulip.c" in there somewhere followed by an error.

<Bootup message snipped for brevity>

>[ ]eth0: 0.0.0.0
>[*]lo  : 127.0.0.1
>

>When running turbonetcfg network diagnosis
>
>FQDN of This System: localhost
>Physical Interfaces Available: Failed: eth0
>Gateway Device     : (none)
>Gateway Device Available  :  N/A
>Gateway Device Active   :  N/A
>Default Route Activated      :  Yes
>Gateway is Reachable   :  No
>Primary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Secondary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Tertiary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Hostname Lookup Works   :  No
>
>/etc/modules.conf file looks like this
>
>keep
>path[usb]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>path[extra]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>path[pcmcia]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>alias net-pf-5 appletalk
>alias eth0 tulip.o
># This file is created by PCI device probing routine.
># You might need to add another alias or options.

Did you add that last alias or did your config. tools?  I don't think the
".o" should be in there.  What happens if you just do "modprobe tulip" from
the command line?  After trying that look at the output of "dmesg" again.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: The Archimage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Proliant 2500R + Red Hat 6.2 - RAID5 suddenly loses drives
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:46:43 GMT

OK, here's the scenario:

I have a Compaq Proliant 2500R, dual PPro 200's, a gig of EDO ECC RAM,
and an external Compaq F1 Raid array with 9 identical Seagate 9.1 gig
SCSI drives.  Several months ago (right when RH6.2 was released), I
installed RH6.2 in GUI mode, set up a 24 meg partition mounted on /boot,
and the rest of the array as /dev/md0, a RAID5 array, mounted on /.

The server was at a remote site, and I have to admit I didn't watch the
logs as closely as I should have.  I ssh'd in on January 16th, and
noticed in /var/log/messages that a "disk failure" had occured on one of
the disks, and the array was continuing on 6 disks.  I used
raidhotremove to remove the drive from the stripe set, and then
raidhotadd to add it back in and regenerate the stripe set.  The server
crashed, showing a second drive "failed."  I lost all the data on the
array.

Assuming I had a bad drive or drives, blew the machine away, formatted
the drives with an NT workstation install and format.com.  The drives
formatted and scandisked fine, so I blew NT away and reinstalled RH6.2
with RAID5, checking for bad blocks, configured again as mentioned
above.  The install didn't even finish before RAID errors were reported.

I figured maybe I had a bad CPU, so I replaced both just to be sure.

I called Compaq, and they told me to upgrade to the latest BIOS and
utilities, and then run the system erase utility.  I did, then I ran the
compaq diagnostics.  I ran two complete runs (took 66 hours), and the
machine, the CPUs, the memory, the SCSI controller, and the disks all
passed.  I figured I had it licked, so I reinstalled RH6.2 again, with
RAID5.  It installed beautifully, ran for a couple of hours fine, and
then I started running kernel compiles in six 10-cycle loops, one loop
on each console to stress test it.

Sure enough, a disk was marked bad and removed from the array.

I'm baffled.  This setup ran fine for MONTHS.  The machine tests fine
after ridiculously granular tests.  But it can't keep striping going.

Any clues where to look next?  I'm leaning towards bypassing the onboard
NCR SCSI card and putting an Adaptec 2940UW in a PCI slot and running
the array off of it.

Thanks
The Archimage