Linux-Hardware Digest #268, Volume #10           Tue, 18 May 99 21:13:42 EDT

Contents:
  [Q] Can't set EPP mode on paralell port.... (Chris Bradshaw)
  Re: How do I move linux? (Ian Tester)
  Re: Symbios SYM8751SPE SCSI with LINUX? (Ian Tester)
  Re: Remote printing problem (Ian Tester)
  Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller, Is it possible to use this card? ("dave")
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! and RH 6.0 (Terence)
  (Newbie) PCI 9660 video X windows  ("Drew Adams")
  Diamond NetCommander ISDN Help (Christopher J Sullivan)
  Re: PCMCIA Modems (Jacek Pliszka)
  Re: Winmodem (Jacek Pliszka)
  Re: PC/104 DAQ (Frank Miles)
  Re: High speed serial board ("Tony")
  LaserJet 1100ASE under Linux, SCAN?! PRINT?! What do you think? ("Gen. Sisyphus")
  Module (re)installation problems (rcherry)
  Re: What happened to fdformat ("Cameron Spitzer")
  Re: wintv - bttv (Paul-Erik =?iso-8859-1?Q?T=F6rr=F6nen?=)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Syquest (Grant Guenther)
  Re: can I use my ALPS MD-1300 printer ? (Aaron Price)
  Choosing a printer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I move linux?
  video resolution/refresh HOW TO CHANGE??? (Aaron Price)
  Re: Build or buy? (Kelly Harrison)
  Re: The SCSI SCAM?

From: Chris Bradshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: [Q] Can't set EPP mode on paralell port....
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:59:04 +0100

Hi.....

I am trying to use a HP 7200e CD writer on my linux box via its parallel

port. My machine is a Compaq Deskpro 6300. Both of these have been
updated with their latest respective firmware.

According to the technical documentation for the system the 87309
parallel port interface controller supports SPP, EPP and ECP modes.

However, there does not appear to be any options in the BIOS setup
program to enable EPP mode.....thru the BIOS setup I can only set the IO

address, IRQ and DMA, and 3 port modes - standard, flexible and
output-only.

In flexible mode I only get mode 0 (4bit) when I do an insmod pg and if
I try to use command line options with the insmod command to set a
different mode (eg: insmod pg drive0=0x378,0,0,5,1,0) I get an error
saying the device or resource is busy.

In standard mode and output-only mode I do get one additional mode, PS/2

which shows up as mode 2 (8 bit) after entering the insmod command.

Unfortunately with these available modes I keep getting a loss of
streaming error when using cdrecord (even with delay set to 0). I have
tried everything to reduce the load on the machine.....I have even gone
to single user mode, but nothing seems to work. The only thing I can
think of is to improve the paralell port performance by using EPP
mode.....which is the one thing I don't seem to be able to do ;-(.....

The technical documentation for the system says that in order for the
port to initialise in EPP mode, a negotiation phase is entered to detect

whether the attached device(s) support EPP. If so, then EPP mode
can be used.

I was wondering if anyone reading this could help me answer the
following questions:

1. Would anybody know if there is a way to explicitly set EPP mode on
the parallel port of a Compaq Deskpro 6300?

2. If (as the technical docs suggest) EPP mode is only set after a
successful negotiation phase, then why would I need to explicitly set
EPP mode
on the paralell port?

3. Is it possible that the problem is with the HP 7200e i.e. could it be

responding incorrectly to the negotiation phase mentioned in the tech
docs and
if so, is there anything I can do about it?

4. Any other advice?

Any help or advice would be most gratefully accepted.

Thanx in advance.

Chris Bradshaw.

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I move linux?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:49:00 +1000

On 17 May 1999, Rod Roark wrote:

> Millinium Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Is there a safe and easy way to move a working linux to another hard
> >drive?  I have an 850mb as a file and internet server and I want to
> >move to a 2.1 Gb.  Is there an easy way to migrate to the new drive?
>
> Yes.  Make the new filesystem, mount it, and then copy everything to
> it with cp -avx.

Almost. cp won't handle the device nodes in /dev properly. It'll get to
the first device and simply try to read from it.

Use something like this -

cd /
tar cflp - . | (cd /mnt/newdisk; tar xfpvv - )

be sure to use the 'l' option to the first tar; this keeps it within the
root filesystem.

hope this helps,
bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Symbios SYM8751SPE SCSI with LINUX?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:10:55 +1000

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Ruediger Bodack wrote:

> does anyone know if the SYM8751SPE works with LINUX? It has the
> SYM53C875 chip which usually works with a NCR kernel.

I don't have either of these, but I'll just say "it should".

> Is compliance
> dependend from the card or
> from the chipset only?

With most PCI cards nowadays, it's only the chip(set) which makes the
difference. Witness all of the "generic" video cards based on chips from
S3, ATI, C&T, Cirrus, etc. The X server doesn't give a rats arse who makes
the board, as long as it can recognize the chip. The PCI bus makes this
even better - the same chip will always answer with the same vendor and
device ID, not matter the maker of the board.

Hopefully it's the same with SCSI chips! :)

bye

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote printing problem
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:53:45 +1000

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Keith Rhodes wrote:

> I have a problem with remote printing.
>
> I have two systems:
> a 120 MHz Pentium, called loxley
> a 50 MHz 80486, called porter, that I want to use as a print server.
>
> The two are connected by ethernet, I can telnet, ftp, NFS... so I know
> the network is fine.
>
> I've connected a Hewlett Packard LaserJet III to porter, and I can print
> ASCII and PostScript locally without any problems.
>
> Both are running RedHat 5.2, and I used the RedHat print setup tool. As
> far as I can see, the /etc/printcap files look OK.
>
> On loxley:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default {}
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=porter:\
>         :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

I believe the "rp" parameter is the name of the "Remote Printer" on your
"Remote Machine" (rm) host. You've given a spool dir. Change that line to
read -

        :rp=lp:\

> On porter:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

hope this helps,
bye

From: "dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller, Is it possible to use this card?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:56:19 -0600

trying to install RH6 but, the boot disk does not recognize my hard drive
which is attached to a Promise Ultra66 IDE controller.

I found the following web site which explains how to install Linux using
with a Promise Ultra33 :
http://www.redhat.com/docs/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA-5.html
will this method also work with the Ultra66?   I'd hate to screw something
up.

Has anyone successfully used this card before? or does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any usefully info.

--dave

------------------------------

From: Terence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live! and RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 23:57:56 GMT

Tom Davies wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to get this working?  If so, what would I use for a driver?
> >
> > Signed -- A Newbie
>
> Yes, there is a driver at http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/
>
> BUT -- it doesn't work for me, or many other people. Presumably the next
> version will...
>
> Tom

Ya, got it, downloaded it, says i got the wrong kernal, mine has the right
version, just a -15 at the end (RedHat 6.0)  oh well... so I take it I can't
even have it act like a soundblaster 16?  or an 8 for that matter, anything but
that BEEP!!

------------------------------

From: "Drew Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: (Newbie) PCI 9660 video X windows
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:06:52 GMT

I have resently installed RH 5.2 and everything seems fine except for my
xwindows server.  When I configure it It detects my PCI video card (Assuming
that this is the problem).  Upon completion I start up X and my start bar is
about an inch tall and my resolution is 320 * 203 or somthing like that.  Is
there a way to change the resolution on the video card?  I did select
multiple resolutions for my monitor.

------------------------------

From: Christopher J Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond NetCommander ISDN Help
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:05:27 -0400

Does anyone out there use the NetCommander ISDN card on Linux?

--
Christopher J. Sullivan, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Engineer

OCEANIT
1100 Alakea, 31st Floor
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
(808)531-3017
(808)531-3177 (FAX)

------------------------------

From: Jacek Pliszka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Modems
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:44:08 -0700

On 17 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone know if there's a driver for PCMCIA modems?  I am looking for
> one that will run under Linux.  I currently run an IBM PCMCIA Modem card.

Read PCMCIA-HOWTO. Unless it is not winmodem (HSP) it should run.
I use IBM 14.4k PCMCIA modem/ethernet bougth for $11 at ebay
and I am quite happy with, it is just a bit to slow.

CU,

Jacek

------------------------------

From: Jacek Pliszka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:49:09 -0700

On Tue, 18 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've got Zoltrix 56k V.90 (internal) modem. It's a Winmodem.
> Does it works under Linux (RedHat 5.2) ?

No. And probably it never will. Good advice is not to buy anything
with 'win' in the name since it usually means problems
with any other operating system. winmodems are modems
with signal processing hardware removed, they use CPU instead.
They are cheaper but lame and incompatible.

Best Regards,

Jacek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: PC/104 DAQ
Date: 18 May 1999 17:18:28 GMT

In article <7hrv13$2vrh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Patrick Riphagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Are there any device drivers for linux for a PC/104 data acquisition card?
>(For example a locamation AX10424 DIO Module)
>I'd like to build a single board PC with digital IO possibilities and a
>timer on the PC/104 card.

You may want to look at the Linux Lab Project and its links:
        http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/

        -frank

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: High speed serial board
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:38:09 +1000

When you say 128Kbps

are you thinking 128Kilobytes a second ??? or are you thinking 128Kilo bits
a second....

Big difference !!!

Tony

------------------------------

From: "Gen. Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LaserJet 1100ASE under Linux, SCAN?! PRINT?! What do you think?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:38:11 -0700

I bought a LaserJet 1100ASE. Finally!

First of all, printer doesn't work under Linux. When I try to use the
printer configuration tool, it says that it cannot detect anything under
/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2. So in desparation, I decided to set the
DEVICE to any single one of these but when I try to print using "lp",
everything stays in the spool and "lpd" asks if the pinter is
offline?!!!
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Also, How do I use the scanner?! I hear this thing about SANE but I am
not sure what it is.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Si

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:55:40 -0400
From: rcherry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Module (re)installation problems

Sorry everybody -- I'm kinda amazed that I haven't been able to figure
this one out...

I had my Future Domain SCSI card puke on its self... I installed a used
Adaptec card and now I can't seem to get the kernel to recognize it...
The old module seems to load but errors out during boot... (of course!)
The new card passes all the self tests... I updated the
/etc/conf.modules and assumed everything should be cool :(.

/etc/conf.modules... from my, out-of-the-box, Redhat 5.2
alias scsi_hostadapter  AHA1542
<EOF>

What have I done wrong...

Thanks, Rick

From: "Cameron Spitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: What happened to fdformat
Date: 19 May 1999 00:00:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Paul Payne  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>   I know this sounds stupid, but I used to think that you can low-level
>> format a floppy in Linux using "fdformat". Well, on my Debian system
>> this is what I get:
>> ----------------------------------
>> histria ~ # fdformat
>> bash: fdformat: command not found

It's been replaced by superformat(1).

>Type, without quotes,  "mke2fs /dev/fd0", if you want an ext2 format

You can only write a file system ("high level format" in MS-DOS terms)
if the medium is already formatted ("low level format" in MS-DOS terms).
mke2fs will write a file system on formatted media, but it will
not format the media.

>floppy.  Don't know how to get a ms-dos format.

With mformat or mkdosfs.  Or, take a formatted diskette and zero it
out
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0u1440 count=1440
and use a legal copy of MS-DOS to "format" it, then grab an image of it
  gzip -9 < /dev/fd0u1440 > /var/spool/msfloppy.gz
Then you can make legal clones of it for game launching disks:
  gzip -dc /var/spool/msfloppy.gz > /dev/fd0u1440
These will work with those stupid games that look for a Microsoft MBR.

Or, launch the DOS emulator and see if it can "format" the diskette.
Recent Debian ahd Red Hat have come with a working preinstalled
DOSEMU (using FreeDOS and OpenDOS) which you invoke with the "dos"
command.

>If your floppy is not the
>first floppy you will sub the zero with the right number, ie 1 for the
>second floppy.  Paul

The /dev/fd0 device only works with diskettes that are already formatted.
The correct device for formatting "drive A:" as a 3.5" 1.44MB diskette is
/dev/fd0u1440, or /dev/fd0H1440 on Red Hat.

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt.  (You *did* install
kernel source, didn't you?)

HTH

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Paul-Erik =?iso-8859-1?Q?T=F6rr=F6nen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wintv - bttv
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 03:03:26 +0300

David Shaffer wrote:

> i am getting ready to setup a wintv card on a linux machine.    any
> advice?

Basically I did it followingly (with 2.2.7-kernel and bttv-0.6.4,
Hauppauge WinTV PCI w/o radio bt878):

Compile install the kernel with bttv as a module

Go to bttv-sources and edit the driver/Makefile (set the CARD-parameter
to whatever card you have), also edit the tuner type in driver/update
on line 'insmod tuner            debug=0 type=X'

Compile the bttv

Compile xawtv

Reboot (you can pop the card in at this time, minimal amount of
reboots ;-)

Edit (remove the x in front of the rmmod,insmod) and run the
<path-to-bttv-source>/driver/update in order to check that they
actually can be loaded.

Run the <path-to-xawtv-source>/xawtv

Replace the bttv-modules in /lib/modules/2.2.7/misc with those
found in <path-to-bttv-source>/driver

Do 'make install' in xawtv-source directory.

Start searching for all the channels

Of course I also did the usual RTFM-stuff for each program/driver.

Hope this helps,

Poltsi

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:49:29 +1200

> In Windows we have a large OS, true, but we also have many of the
> "modules" that make it up (device drivers, services, etc.) provided by
> 3rd parties.  We *know* how stable this arrangement is...it's
> "crash-o-matic"...and you have no good way of determining which party
> is guilty and has to make a fix...you just get a freezup or a BSOD and
> you reboot...over and over again.
>
> On the other hand, OpenVMS is a large, monolithic OS produced by a
> single company.  It has very few crash problems...and what it *does*
> have is nearly always device-driver related...usually device drivers
> produced by third parties.

So what you're saying is when OpenVMS crashes because of a third party
device driver, it's not Digitals fault, but when NT crashes because of a
third party device driver, it IS Microsofts fault?

Seems to me you're a little inconsistent there.

In my experience I haven't seen any NT crashes that were the fault of the OS
itself.  I've seen crashes caused by device drivers, applications
(anti-virus software used to be particularly bad for this), but not the OS
failing because of a MS component.

Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Guenther)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.so.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Syquest
Date: 18 May 1999 23:40:12 GMT

On Tue, 18 May 1999 00:13:29 -0500, MIke borden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>does anyone know how to actually get the syquest to work. I have
>compiled it into the kernel. I now just need to know how to mount it and
>get the driver to work. It would be easy if I only had one device on the
>parellel port but I also have a printer.

Please visit http://www.torque.net/parport/ and if nothing there helps,
join the linux-parport mailing list and post a query with some more
information about what device you have and how it fails.

Grant R. Guenther                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Aaron Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can I use my ALPS MD-1300 printer ?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 00:25:15 GMT

I wrote the alps people and they responded with "we are not currently
planning on writing drivers for Linux, but we are working on a
developer's toolkit which would allow somebody else to write a driver
for it"
I didn't expect much more from them, since they don't even have an NT
driver that works worth a damn.
Aaron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Choosing a printer
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:51:01 GMT

I'm working with Redhat Linux 5.2.

I need to buy a printer.

Linux 5.2 HCL lists

Epson AP3250 & ESC/P 2 printers
Epson Color Dot Matrix, 24 pin
Epson Color Dot Matrix, 9 pin
Epson Dot Matrix, 24 pin
Epson Dot Matrix, 9 pin, hi-res
Epson Dot Matrix, 9 pin, med-res
Epson Dot Matrix, 9 pin

as supported.

Does it mean that Epson LX300 is supported?
LX300 is a 9-pin dot matrix printer.
Do I lose any functionality because Epson LX300
is not listed explicitly?

Appending technical specifications for Epson LX300.

The EPSON LX-300 is designed to satisfy the special needs of 9-pin dot
matrix printer users. In the crucial categories of speed, dependability
and convenience it offers unsurpassed performance. Put it to work in
your home or business, and rest assured, the LX-300 will get the job
done.

The LX-300 offers fast draft and near letter quality printing, a
convertible push/pull tractor, colour upgradability (either now or in
the future), standard serial and parallel interfaces with built-in auto
switching (a feature usually only found in laser printers) and quieter
operation, just to mention a few key features. A very versatile
printer, the LX-300 has a very small footprint so it takes up minimal
desk space and is ideal for home, home office, education and small
business use.

========

LX-300 Dot Matrix Printer Specifications

Printing Method Impact Dot Matrix
Number of Pins in Head  9 pins
Print direction Bi-directional with logic seeking for draft
PRINT SPEED
Draft 10cpi

220 cps / 165cpsd (colour)
Draft 12cpi 264 cps / 198cps (colour)
NLQ 10 cpi 44 cps
NLQ 12 cpi 53 cps
PRINT CHARACTERISTICS
Character tables

9 character tables
Italic, PC437, PC850, PC860, PC861, PC863, PC865, Abicomp, BRASCII

Fonts: Bit - Map
 EPSON NLQ Roman
EPSON NLQ Sans Serif

EPSON Draft

Colour Optional
CONTROL CODE EPSON ESC/PÆ
PAPER HANDLING
Continuous paper
Width: 101.6-245 mm
* Can also print labels

Cut sheet size Width 101-420 mm
Length Front 147-420 mm

Rear 101-420 mm

Cards Width 100-148 mm
Length Front 148 mm

Rear 100-148 mm

Envelopes No. 6, No. 10
Continuous paper  Width 101-406 mm
Paper feed method  * Can also print labels
Friction feed (front/rear)

Push Tractor feed (front/rear)

Push-Pull Tractor feed (front/rear) with optional pull tractor

Cut Sheet Feeder (optional

Copies Original + 5 copies
Printable area Single Sheets, Env. & Postcards / Continuous Paper
Top margin
 4.2 mm / 4.2 mm
Bottom margin 4.2 mm / 4.2 mm
Left margin 3.0 mm / 13 mm
Right margin 3.0 mm / 13 mm
Maximum print area  370 mm / 345.2 mm
Paper thickness
Cut Sheet Single Sheet 0.065-0.14mm
Multi-part forms 0.12-0.39mm

Card 0.22mm
Continuous Paper  Multi-part forms 0.065-0.39mm
Paper weight
Cut Sheet

Single sheet 52.3 to 90 g/m2
Envelopes Multi-part 40 to 58 g/m2
Card 45 to 91 g/m2
Continuous paper  192 g/m2
(Single sheet & multi part)  40 to 58 g/m2
Input data buffer  64K or 0K byte (selectable)
Interface (standard)  Bi-directional parallel interface

Ribbon cartridge
Colour

black
Type fabric ribbon cartridge
Ribbon life 12 million characters (Draft, 14 dots/character)
Reliability
Print head life
Ribbon life
Total print volume

200 million characters
12 million characters

7.5 million lines (except ptrint head)

Control panel
Buttons

Operate, Pause, Load/Eject, LF/FF, Tear off/Bin Font, Pitch
Indicators Pause, Paper out, Paper jam, Head hot, Cover open, Micro
Adjust, Tear off, Bin selection, Pitch selection, Font selection, Fatal
error
Environmental conditions (operating)
Temperature
Humidity
 5 to 35_C
10 to 80% RH

Acoustic Noise Approx. 55 dB (A) (ISO 7779 pattern)
Electrical specifications
Voltage
Rated frequency

Power consumption
 220 V-240V AC
50 to 60 Hz

Approx. 62 W (during draft self test)

Dimensions
Width

Depth

Height

Weight

366 mm
402 mm

257 mm

13 kg

Warranty 12 months return to base

LX-300 Information and Options

Product code Description
 Configurations
C130101 EPSON LX-300 dot matrix printer
 Interface options
POWERPRINT Apple serial to PC parallel converter & drivers
 Media-handling options
C800302 Push/Pull Tractor
C806372 Single bin cut sheet feeder
 Printer Upgrades
C832082 Colour upgrade kit
 Cables
EPCP Parallel printer cable
 Consumables
8750 Black fabric ribbon cartridge
8758 Ribbon refill pack for 8750
SO15073 Colour fabric ribbon cartridge

========

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:57:33 -0700

On Tue, 18 May 1999 08:28:57 +0200, Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Rod Roark wrote:
>>
>> Millinium Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Is there a safe and easy way to move a working linux to another hard
>> >drive?  I have an 850mb as a file and internet server and I want to
>> >move to a 2.1 Gb.  Is there an easy way to migrate to the new drive?
>>
>> Yes.  Make the new filesystem, mount it, and then copy everything to
>> it with cp -avx.  Edit /etc/fstab to suit the new drive location.
>> You'll need a boot diskette for first-time booting.
>>
>> -- Rod
>> Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
>> http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software
>
>I think cp is a ungood way of copying! cp can have problems with special
>files (i.e. devices) softlinks might not be copied as links ...

        This is what "cp -a" is for.

>Usually I'm using tar inthis way to copy a hole filesystem:
> $ cd /old/path
> $ tar cf - . | (cd /new/path; tar xf - )
>
>where new/path is the temporary mountpoint of the new disk!
>But I've also heard that tar is not save with special devices, where
>as on other unices people told to use ufsdump to copy almost everything!
>(I don't know for sure if ufsdump is available on Linux!)
[deletia]

--

    Microsoft subjected the world to DOS until 1995.             |||
         A little spite is more than justified.                 / | \

                        In search of sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Aaron Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video resolution/refresh HOW TO CHANGE???
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 00:33:42 GMT

Once I'm inside Xwindows,  i cant seem to be able to change the res or
refresh settings; someone suggested trying ctrl+alt +/- but it didnt do
a thing. I'm running red hat 6.0 with an ATI rage pro card.
THANKS!!!!

------------------------------

From: Kelly Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Build or buy?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 20:02:41 GMT

"David J. Owens" wrote:
> > It appears I can get (marginally?) more bang for my buck by assembling a
> > custom system, and be much more certain of being able to run Linux
> > relatively trouble-free (a *requirement*, AFAIC), but does this really
> > matter when it's not my dime anyway?  If some piece of hardware doesn't
> > work with Linux as supplied, I can probably just go buy a new one and
> > *still* come in under $3K.  I wonder what others would do in this
> > situation.  Do you take a risk and use the opportunity to build your
> > dream system, or stick to something less exciting but, perhaps, more
> > secure?
>
> In my experience, I can build a server or workstation for over
> $1000 less than a similar Dell PowerEdge Server or Dell Precision
> Workstation.  This is more than "marginally" less expensive than
> a Dell and seems to make the 3 hours of building time more
> than worth the effort.

On the other hand, check out some of the ultra-cheap places like

www.thelinuxstore.com

where you can get preloaded linux systems (dual PIII) for much less than
$3000.  Don't know if you can do better building yourself - keep in mind
that these places buy parts bulk at prices that you or i can't get....

kelly

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The SCSI SCAM?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:59:47 -0700

        Try looking at the mylex options. Start at www.mylex.com.

>P.S.  Would a SCSI scanner work with this Adaptec card?  I heard SCSI
>scanners (either the HP or UMAX brand, I don't remember which) are
>supported under Linux.

        I use a Umax Astra 610S with a Mylex BT-950 myself...