Linux-Hardware Digest #274, Volume #10           Wed, 19 May 99 19:13:50 EDT

Contents:
  Questions On CD-RW, Video Card, Sound Card, and Modem for AlphaLinux? (Habibie)
  Looking for a BOOT PROM for PC (Laurent Gougeon)
  Re: IBM Token-Ring (Chris Beggy)
  Re: Problem with installation of RH6 on Inteva (AMD K6/200) (Borislav Simov)
  adaptec ("«Ë¼´¤H")
  Re: LaserJet 1100ASE under Linux, SCAN?! PRINT?! What do you think? ("Gen. Sisyphus")
  Re: Problem with SCSI-Controller (Matthias Brantner)
  Re: newbie with a scsi question :-) (gus)
  Re: AGP only at 8bpp?! (KrayZ)
  Re: Linux on: IBM Thinkpad 755 (Mircea)
  Re: wintv - bttv
  Re: LaserJet 1100ASE under Linux, SCAN?! PRINT?! What do you think? (Serban-Mihai
Popescu)
  Re: ATA/66 little OT [Q] (Andrew Comech)
  Blur problem with X-Window ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: newbie with a scsi question :-) ("NeXuS")
  HD badblocks (Jorge JUAN CHICO)
  AGP MS-4419 Video Card (KrayZ)
  Re: Creative 3D Blaster Banshee (IEEE Project)
  Re: ISDN Modem recommendations (Nick Birkett)

From: Habibie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Questions On CD-RW, Video Card, Sound Card, and Modem for AlphaLinux?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:27:57 GMT

I am in a process of acquiring an Alpha 21164 workstation with RedHat 6.0
and
would like to know if the following hardware should work flawlessly:

 1. Memorex 4x2x24 Speed EIDE CD-RW Drive and Blaster=AE CD-RW 4224.
 2. Voodoo3 2000 AGP Video Card.
 3. Advanced 16-bit FullDuplex PnP Sound card by Digital Research.
 4. Creative Modem Blaster Flasft 56II, V.90 & K56flex Internal Speaker
Modem
with features speakerphone and voicemail with multiple mailboxes.

Please kindly reply through e-mail.  Thank you.

From: Laurent Gougeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for a BOOT PROM for PC
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:46:06 +0200

Hi !

I'd like to do a MP3 player without floppy nor Hard drive.

I need to create a BOOT card with a EPROM or FLASH ROM
to provide a kernel, acces to the CD ROM and the MP3 decoder....

Does anyone knows about that ?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:23:03 -0400
From: Chris Beggy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Token-Ring

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Richard van Denzel wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I recently got Debian 1.3-1 installed on a PS/2 model 95. The only
> >> problem I got that I got stiuck with my TR card.
> >> It's an IBM Token-Ring 16/4 Adapter A, with io=0xa20 and irq=9.
>
> The support for the IBM TOKEN RING MCA card is compiled into the kernel,
> and it seems to work fine!  I am not shure that compiling it as a module
> will work!

I have the same results on my 9577's and 9595, with 2.0.35.  The token
ring works when the support is compiled into the kernel, rather than
loaded as a module.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Borislav Simov)
Subject: Re: Problem with installation of RH6 on Inteva (AMD K6/200)
Date: 19 May 1999 09:00:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Borislav Simov) writes:

Hi,

I am trying to install Red Hat 6.0 on a K6/200.
After booting from the floppy, a text menu appears
(the one which gives you an option to type "expert".)

When I press return, I see:

At this point several lines get printed, the first one being:

  OK booting the kernel
  (some more stuff here)
   .... VGA ....

Then the computer reboots. It happens so fast that I cannot even
read the last several lines which got printed before the reboot
(among those may be an error message).

Is there something that I am doing wrong in the installation?
Can this problem be solved?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Borislav Simov

P.S.

To give you some more details about my computer:

Inteva
MB M5ATA
Award BIOS
processor AMD K6/200MHz
32 MB RAM
HD: Generic IDE Type 47 (2.1 GB, separated into 2 partitions. I use the
  first one (1.2GB) for Windows 95, the second one (900 MB) is deleted.
FD: Generic NEC Floppy
CDROM LITEON LTN202
Videocard Cirrus Logic 5436/5446
--
Borislav Simov, Graduate Student in Computer Science
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA

From: "«Ë¼´¤H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adaptec
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 02:13:19 +0800

i just want to know how many kind of chipset does adaptec has? what is the
difference between aic or aha. which one is supported by linux?!

------------------------------

From: "Gen. Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LaserJet 1100ASE under Linux, SCAN?! PRINT?! What do you think?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:26:22 -0700

Brad Pepers wrote:

> Gen. Sisyphus wrote:
> >
> > I bought a LaserJet 1100ASE. Finally!
> >
> > First of all, printer doesn't work under Linux. When I try to use the
> > printer configuration tool, it says that it cannot detect anything under
> > /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2. So in desparation, I decided to set the
> > DEVICE to any single one of these but when I try to print using "lp",
> > everything stays in the spool and "lpd" asks if the pinter is
> > offline?!!!
>
> Well it sounds like Linux can't even find your parallel port.  Thats
> got to work first before the printer is going to work.  I would guess
> that its a BIOS setup issue.  Does your computer startup BIOS info
> screen show a parallel port and its IO address?
>
> The first thing to try and get working is just:
>
>         echo Hello >/dev/lp0
>
> Relace the lp0 with lp1 and lp2 as well until one of them works.  If
> you get the message "bash: /dev/lp0: Device not configured" then Linux
> can't find the parallel port.  Thats normal for two of the three
> devices but one of them should work.  On my system lp0 and lp2 give
> the "Device not configured" error and lp1 works.

I tried "echo Hi > /dev/lp0". I also tried for lp1 and lp2. They all tell me
that
                /dev/lp0: Operation not supported by device.

I am running RedHat 5.1. which is kernel version 2.0.34-0.6. I recently
downloaded 2.0.36 and compiled it on my machine. The printer works fine under
Windows. So I am not sure if there is a problem with the BIOS!

Si

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:48:07 +0200
From: Matthias Brantner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with SCSI-Controller

Jeff McWilliams schrieb:

> Matthias,
>
> Are you trying to boot from a hard disk that's attached to the
> SCSI card?  If so, you don't want to build the NCR53c8xx driver
> as a module.  You want it as part of the kernel.  If you're using
> Make Menuconfig when building a new Kernel, it should have a '*' in
> front of it instead of an 'M'.  If you're running make config I think
> you type 'Y' instead of 'M', and in make XConfig you select a different
> check box.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanx
Yes I boot from this HDD, but of course I have tried this before. Sorry if
I didn't explain it excatly in my last mail.

What else could it be?

--
Mfg,
    Matthias Brantner

Matthias Brantner EDV-Service & Vertrieb
Tel.: 07422-245965
Mobil: 0171-3800938

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie with a scsi question :-)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:52:16 +0100

Not sure about the card itself, but you may find a conflict between the
IRQ. IRQ4 is normally reserved for /ttyS0 (COM1). Be aware... ;-)

gus

------------------------------

From: KrayZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel,linux.dev.kernel,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: AGP only at 8bpp?!
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:44:35 +0200

Where can I find the XBF_i740 server???
I'm searching at XFree86 FTP I I don't find it!!!

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on: IBM Thinkpad 755
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:05:48 -0400

One thing that I can tell is they have the Mwave sound card/modem combo,
that isn't supported...yet.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: wintv - bttv
Date: 19 May 1999 22:05:50 GMT

It's trying to compile against Motif which you apparently do not have. Look for
a package called Lesstif, it is Open Source, source level compatible replacement
for Motif 1.2

Michal

------------------------------

From: Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:07:39 GMT

Gen. Sisyphus wrote:
> that
>                 /dev/lp0: Operation not supported by device.
>
> I am running RedHat 5.1. which is kernel version 2.0.34-0.6. I recently
> downloaded 2.0.36 and compiled it on my machine. The printer works fine under
> Windows. So I am not sure if there is a problem with the BIOS!

Most probably you disabled the parallel port support when compiled your
custom kernel. Either boot the old one or make the parport a loadable
module or redo the kernel.

Serban

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: ATA/66 little OT [Q]
Date: 19 May 1999 18:09:51 -0500

On Wed, 19 May 1999 15:41:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi!
>This message is perhaps a little off topic, sorry for that. I am about
>to buy an HDD ... it will be on a not high load server... perhaps will
>be used to do some video editing on a dual boot system (Linux, BeOS)...
>I have seen some SCSI drives, but too $$$ ... I was attracted by some
>ATA/66 drives that claim to have 66MB/sec burst transfer rate... I just
>wanted to ask if someone had experiences with these drives? Are they
>good? Why are they so inexpensive?

Hi, I've got Quantum CR Ultra ATA/66.
I could not use it in the DMA mode at all (I have PA-2013 motherboard
which only supports UDMA/33) until I changed ATA/66 to ATA/33
(running from DOS some EXEish file from Quantum website). Now the drive runs
in DMA mode, buffered reads of 12MB/s (same as for Quantum EX Ultra ATA/33).

AFAIK UDMA/66 is not supported by Linux so far... I did not have a proper
motherboard with UDMA/66 to see what's going to happen.

If you might assume that your site becomes very popular in the future,
then you'd make up your mind and get SCSI drive, huh?

Best,
a.

PS. In case there is someone with Quantum CR drives:

the link to follow is
http://service.quantum.com/AppNotes/Award_ATA66.htm

and the required EXE file is
http://service.quantum.com/software/fbcrdma.exe

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Blur problem with X-Window
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:23:40 GMT

I have a computer with Sis 620 display card and AT&T 15" monitor. I installed
Redhat 6.0/XFree86 3.3.3.1. I downloaded the XFCom_Sis server from SUSE and
made the symbolic link. I modified the XF86Config file according to the
articles about Sis cards, then ran X. But then I found that the screen is
blurred, everything: letter, cursor, window, will have several "shadow"s
beside it horizontally. What's the problem with this? And what shall I do?
Thank you!

From: "NeXuS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:49:00 +0200

Yes I'm aware, but since I don't use com 1 or 2 I disabled my serial ports
in the bios of my mainboard.  This shouldn't be a problem right?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Jorge JUAN CHICO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HD badblocks
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:16:51 +0200

It is a Debian 2.1, kernel 2.0.36 with 2 HD's, etc.

The second HD has a 1.5GB FAT32 partition and a 1.5GB ext2 partition, the
first to hold cd-rom images and the second for /usr/local (/dev/hdc2). It
is a samsung IDE drive.

Every thing went OK for a time after installing hdc, but while
transferring large portions of data trough scp o rsync the drive stoped
with erros like:

hdc: dma_intr: status=0x53 { DriveReady SeekComplete Index Error }
hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3980821,
sector=851986
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:02, sector 851986

after lots of errors like this the drive stoped working. The BIOS couldn't
detect the drive after a hot reset booting, so I switched off and on,
repaired the partition with e2fsck -c, to detect bad blocks, errors where
always on the same sector. I run e2fsck againg and no errors where
detected. Everythig worked find for a couple of weeks until a large
transfer a couple of days ago. The same happend, but this time more
badblocks were detected. Eventually, the drive hangs and a have to switch
off and on. Running badblocks gives something like this:

bellido# badblocks -b 512 -w /dev/hdc2 3120768 | tee
/root/hdc2_badblocks_512
hdc: dma_intr: status=0x53 { DriveReady SeekComplete Index Error }
hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3980821,
sector=851986
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:02, sector 851986
hdc: dma_intr: status=0x53 { DriveReady SeekComplete Index Error }
hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3980821,
sector=851988
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:02, sector 851988
hdc: dma_intr: status=0x53 { DriveReady SeekComplete Index Error }
hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3980821,
sector=851988
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:02, sector 851988

A few questions arise:

So many badblocks in an IDE drive is not common, is it?

The drive shouldn't hang due to bad blocks, should it?

Will a low level format solve the problem?

Are there any low level formatting utilities for Linux?

Should I contact the vendor and ask for a replacement? (drive is two
months old)

Any other advice?

Thank you a lot in advance.

Personal replays are wellcome.

jorge.

------------------------------

From: KrayZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AGP MS-4419 Video Card
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:56:09 +0200

Is it possible to configure an AGP MS-4419 Video Card (processor Intel
440) on kernel 2.0.36???

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (IEEE Project)
Subject: Re: Creative 3D Blaster Banshee
Date: 19 May 1999 10:06:49 GMT

Daniel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philippe Gaudron)
:wrote:
: >"Blitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> écrivait ("Blitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: >wrote):
: >
: >>
: >>If anyone can please send me suggestions on configuring my 3D Blaster
: >>Banshee video card with x-windows. Im running the standard 5.2 Distribution.
: >>Im new at this so please dont flame me to much. Ive tried xf86config, &
: >>XF86Setup with no luck.
: >
: >http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html
: >
: >Works fine
: >
: >
: >P. Gaudron

: Does this mean that the 3D Blaster Banshee is not currently support?
: And that the only driver for it is still beta software?

: -Daniel

Creative Lab have its own driver for Creative Lab 3DBB and Linux in
www.creaf.com.  However, I experience problems when switching video modes!

------------------------------

From: Nick Birkett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ISDN Modem recommendations
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:10:03 +0100

Carl Waring wrote:

> We are finally switching over to ISDN for our dial-up email
> connections.  Can anyone suggest a suitable modem.  The system is a Dell
> Poweredge 2300 with Red Hat running on it.  From what I can remember I
> have to steer away from win-modems.  I would also like an external modem
> because I can then see what is going on.
>
> cw
>
> email to me or prefer to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are are currently trying out the Elsa Quickstep 1000Pro PCI (bought from
Simply). This even comes with (a dusty) Linux driver
(which we didn't use) on the install cdrom (as well as DOS, Win9.x, WinNT
and OS/2 drivers). It is penguin approved (if you believe the Elsa web
site).
The advantage of the PCI  card is that you don't have to mess with IRQ's or
ISA PnP.  So far I managed to get a 64Kbit
connection to our  dialup server via X.75 protocol (using modem emulation ,
standard PPP and the /dev/ttyI0 device). i.e you
just pretend it  is an ordinary modem and use the device /dev/ttyI0. You
need to compile the kernel for isdn and Elsa support
and compile and install the isdn4linux stuff . For modem emulation you have
to add an exta &E123456 to the modem initialisation

eg

ATZ&E123457

The 1234567 is supposed to be you own (ISDN) telephone number but t is not
important.

see:

ftp.franken.de/pub/isdn4linux/

and

man ttyI

after installing isdn4linux.

I am having more difficulty using SyncPPP to my regular ISP. This may be
because regional calls from the ISDN line have been
disabled (our admin claims  they aren't ).

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend this card just yet, but it looks
promising.

Nick

--
Nick Birkett