From: Andrey Vlassov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I got a problem with ESS ES56T-PI modem under RedHat 6.0.
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:16:15 -0700

==============FA2DA8D86CC35B9C47B1F230

Hi experts,

I got a problem with ESS ES56T-PI modem under RedHat 6.0.
And now my question - "Does somebody make modem ESS ES56T-PI works under
Linux at all?"

Reference to HomePage of modem:

http://www.esstech.com/Product/Communications/es56pi.htm

Modem works very well under Windows98 but from description is not clear
- "Is it winmodem or not?" but it surely Internal PCI
modem.

Windows98 reported about modem next information:
==================================
Modem connected to COM 4, UART NS 16550AN compatible

ESS Modem Device controllers
      ESS Modem Device Manager
            Resources
                IRQ 10
                I/O  D000-D007
Modem
      ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
            Resources
               IRQ 10
               I/O 02E8-02EF

I tried use setserial and minicom, kppp and all without success.

By default system set for /dev/ttyS3 0x2e8, unknown UART, irq 10 -
settings.
setserial accepts settings without any messages.
I did not get any response in minicom after ATE1 ATZ ATH1 ATDT675675 .
kppp reports "modem busy".

Please, if you have any ideas relative this modem or what I should try
more email me.

Thanks for any assistance in solving this problem.

Andrey

Andrey Vlasov

Canada
E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (locked)

ICQ:      22874480

==============FA2DA8D86CC35B9C47B1F230

begin:vcard
n:Vlasov;Andrey
tel;cell:+1-(604)-2206758
tel;fax:+1-(603)-6878858
tel;home:+1-(604)-2946653
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://members.xoom.com/Pluton
adr:;;#109, 5166 Halifax St.;Vancouver;Burnaby, BC;V5B2N6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Andrey Vlasov
end:vcard

==============FA2DA8D86CC35B9C47B1F230==

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Hawkes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW PCI problem
Date: 21 May 1999 00:53:38 GMT

Fred Horan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I installed RedHat v5.2 and ran into a problem with an adaptec 2940UW pci
> board.  At bootup I get the following message:
>
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0,
> test unit ready 00 00 00 00 00
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
>
> This message comes up continually with long pauses on the order of a
minute
> [...]

Sorry, I can't offer help, only sympathy.  I've had very similar problems
trying to install SuSE 6.1 on a system with AIC-7895 SCSI on the
motherboard.  Typing "linux aic7xxx=no_reset" at the Boot: prompt didn't
help - I just got lots of messages about data overrun, followed by the same
endless series of resets.

Previous SuSE boot discs have worked fine on the same system, so it looks
as though the latest SCSI driver has been improved to death, at least as
far as my system is concerned!

I've gone back to SuSE 5.3, and I'm awaiting help from somebody@suse.

 Nigel Hawkes                      To email me, change
                                                   'NO.SPAM'  to 'argonet'

------------------------------

From: rohmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network printer problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:02:20 +0200

Hello all,

we have a problem with our network printer under RedHat 5.1. (2.0.34)
Every time I print, our printer prints a banner:
User: xxxx
Host: host.domain.de
Class: host.domain.de
Job: xxxxx

We tried to stop this and add the line ":sh:\" to /etc/printcap and
disabled the banner in the printer (HP LaserJet 4000). But the
banner is still printed.
This problem just exist with the OS linux (not with windows).

Where can we disable this banner?

Thanks in advance

Heinz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric DE VITO)
Subject: Re: SCSI HD Spindown
Date: 20 May 1999 08:12:30 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7hulr3$sul$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Olivier Deckmyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I tell my linux box to spindown my SCSI hard drives after 30minutes
> of inactivity ?
> I can't get hdparm work, as it looks to be done for IDE drives only.
>
> Please help !
>
> Ps : It would be nice to get a reply copy via mail, as it is not easy for me
> to get to the newsgroup.
>
> Olivier Deckmyn,
> Paris

Please read my post reply to Martin Sommer on 18th may. Here it is:

********************************
Please send an email to the comceptor of the scsi driver (mail in include files
of the sources). I tried to explain him that most people are concerned with
spinning down their SCSI disks (so do I !). I proposed him to add scsi-idle like
functionnality to the driver (as an option in the make config).
But his reply was disappointing. He think SCSI disks are not used for spinning down
and up and refused to patch the sources.
Personnaly I told him that I am forced like most people to keep specific versions
of the kernel (last is 2.0.36) compatible wih scsi-idle.
I really don't understand why he does not let at least the choice to spin down
to the user ! The disk in my computer is mine, not him's, and if I want to
take the risk to spin it down whenever I want I want to do it !

I have an eye on scsi.c : here are the guys to contact

Last time I sent an email to eric Yougdale ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
If you send an email like I did you can make me in copy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
and in the signature.

Unhopefully I did not get any answer. I really think that if most people are
asking for such functionnality inside the kernel they would do it.
All we have to do is to convince them that a lot of people are deseparatly
waiting.

So please try it  .I will support you.

--
Eric DE VITO
IPSN/DPEA/SERAC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric DE VITO)
Subject: spin down SCSI disks
Date: 20 May 1999 08:17:50 GMT

OK. I just begun to create a list of people waiting for the functionnality
of spinning down SCSI disks as a daemon (like scsi-idle patch) to be added
in the scsi driver of the kernel. I added at present 3 names:

mine ;-)

Martin Sommer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Olivier Deckmyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Anyone who would want this may contact me either at

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And I'll try to growth the list before sending it to the conceptors of the drivers.

Thank you

--
Eric DE VITO
IPSN/DPEA/SERAC

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modemcard under Linux/KDE
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:50:51 +0200

Does the box which the modem come in, say "only works with Windows" ?
Sounds like you could have a Winmodem.

Florian Thiel wrote:
> I'm new at linux. Its very good, but I've problem with my modem card. It's
> an ISA-Card under Win98 at COM2:. Only Linux want detect it.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: 20 May 1999 08:01:33 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers) writes:

> >I have to disagree with this, as the constraint in computing power moves
> >around, from i/o bound to processor bound to memory bound to disk bound to
> >bandwith bound, the "right" partitioning philosophy changes as well. I think
> >we are at a time where we most people have a lot of extra capacity in their
> >CPU's (most of the time anyway), it makes engineering sense to download some
> >of the processing chore to the less stressed CPU, particularly if this can
> >bring the price of the peripherals down. System partitioning does not have
> >hard rules such as "It's not the OS's responsibility", granted modularity
> >should be sought after, but other things do enter the equation. Also,
> >remember that 3COM (and others) are in business to make money, not to cater
> >to "fringe" markets, I don't blame them for producing the WinModem, It's a
> >GREAT idea on their part, I do blame computer makers for not clearly stating
> >that its what in the box when you buy it clearly stating that you *want* to
> >install Linux on it! We might be unhappy about it, but think of how many
> >people have gotten access to the net with the savings that WinModem's
> >produce!

Of course, they could have bought a machine with a slightly slower
processor and saved a lot more money in the bargain, but system and/or
CPU manufacturers have less interest in emphasizing that fact.

> I don't buy it.  I've got a 133 and I want all of those cycles being
> used for their intended purpose.  Even if I had a 450, I don't want
> some rube-goldberg peripheral slowing it down.

Not to mention that the computations involved (DSP) are handled very
efficiently by inexpensive dedicated circuitry, but general purpose
CPU's are a lot less efficient handling that kind of stuff.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: Josh Rovero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: G200 or TNT? (damn, I hate asking questions like this)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:06:27 -0400

Michael Meissner wrote:

> Just one final note, when I spec'ed out this system, I spec'ed a G200 PCI card,
> but in Feb. when the system builder was buying the bits and pieces, he couldn't
> find a PCI Matrox anywhere (hence going with the TNT PCI card).  Hopefully you
> can find one.

My procurement folks have been trying to find either PCI G200 cards or
PCI #9 Revolution cards since last NOVEMBER, without luck.  Everyone
seems to have AGP, but that really doesn't help those of us trying
to build dual headed boxes.

Accelarated-X supports quite a few cards for dual head displays, but
they are very hard to find.

P. J. "Josh" Rovero                                 Sonalysts, Inc.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         215 Parkway North
Work: (203)442-4355 x206                            Waterford CT 06385

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: i'm killed 3 cd-rom drives!!!
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:28:47 +0200

Jeremy Prellwitz wrote:

> i can install Linux (Redhat 5.1 or 5.2) just fine when using my old
> 4x cd-rom drive.  but when ever i've tried installing Linux using one of
> those new UDMA drives i've killed it.  i've wrecked a 24x, a 32x and a
> 36x cd-rom drives.
>
> why is this happening????  why is everyting ok with my 4x.
>
> when installing...usually what happens is that the drive starts stalling
> or something.  it stops occasionally and then trys to spin up
> again....and this goes on repeatedly...getting more frequent as time
> progresses....all the time still working correctly...very slowly
> though mind you....until it just dies...and doesn't start up again.

The CD is not balanced properly for such high rotation speeds. In
the slow drive it works OK, but the fast drives detect that the CD
is unbalanced and reduce the speed. In principle, a good CD should
simply operate at this reduced speed, but you don't really have any
guarantee. In fact, it is a known phenomenon, that early fast (i.e.
over 24x) CD drives did get damaged by the unbalanced CD's.

Needless to say, Linux has nothing to do with the problem.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ylo Mets)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ultra DMA/66 hard drive problems
Date: 18 May 1999 15:16:03 GMT

Sandra Silcot ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: You could try disabling the ata66 in the Quantum CR's. It should then
: run as a normal ata33 drive and you might get your UDMA back.

: Fireball CR ATA-66 Disable Utility

:    http://service.quantum.com/AppNotes/Award_ATA66.htm (info)
:    http://service.quantum.com/software/fbcrdma.exe     (software)

: UltraDMA 33/66 Change Utility for Fireball CR Drives
: Version:     1.1
: Size:           248,538 bytes
: drives. Use this utility to resolve Windows 95/98/NT DMA compatibility
: issues with Award BIOS's dated prior to 10/28/98. The utility must be
: run
: from either a DOS boot diskette or with the system restarted in MS-DOS
: mode (Win 95/98).

Or you could try to find a recent version of the BIOS from
the motherboard manufacturer's site and flash it.
It definitely worked with the Chaintech 6BTM MB and a
Quantum CR HDD. The advantage is that DMA is available in
Linux too.

Ylo Mets.

------------------------------

From: "Bahnhof NEWS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux supporting UPS?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:29:05 GMT

Anyone know if there is a built-in support for an UPS unit, in Linux?
I want to have Linux making a nice halt if receiving a signal from the UPS,
connected preferrably
to a serial port.
I use SuSE 6.1 with kernel 2.2.1.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a BOOT PROM for PC
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:06:48 +0200

look at : http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/

------------------------------

From: chris pitzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how's this for a cheap webserver?
Date: 21 May 1999 01:46:32 GMT

>motherboard: $95
>ASUS:P5A ALI 512K 100MHZ 5PCI 2ISA 3DIMM AGP ATX
>-- ALI chipset OK?

Not great for stability, and tends to have problems with some AGP boards,
but it's OK..

>-- will it take a celeron?

The Celeron is *not* a socket 7 processor.  For a Celeron, you need a
Pentium II class motherboard..

>memory: $145
>HYUNDAI:128MB SDRAM HIGH DENSITY 16 CHIPS UNBUFFER

You're being gouged on the memory, unless it's ECC.  If it's ECC, then
it's useless in a P5A anyways since the Aladdin chipset doesn't support
ECC at 100MHz bus speeds..

>hard drive: ($140)
>FUJITSU:MPA3084AT 8.4GB 10MS UDMA 128KB

Bad choice -- look at Maxtor and IBM..

>-- do I need a controller?

No.

>cpu ($50)
>INTEL:CELERON-300A MMX 128KB CACHE ON DIE OEM

The Celeron 300a that's in the slot 1 packaging is becoming hard to find.
However, you can get a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter for $20..

>fan/heat sink ($15)
>COOLER MASTER:CELERON-FAN BALL BEARING FAN & HEAT SINK
>-- does it matter what I get?

Not terribly..  But your configuration at this point is *all wrong*.  The
P5A does *not* support the Celeron.

>case ($37)
>IMAGE:ATX MEDIUM TOWER 3-5.25" 2-3.5" 250 WATTS 1 HIDDEN 3.5" UL
>LISTED ATX 2.01 COMPLIANT
>-- will everything fit in here?

Yes.  Get an extra fan for it..

>ethernet card ($45)
>INTEL:PRO100 100MBPS ETHER EXPRESS PRO 100+ PCI

Not a great board -- look for either a 3com 3c905 board, or one based on
the DEC Tulip chipset.

>CD-ROM ($40)
>SAMSUNG:SCR-3232 32X IDE INTERNAL CD-ROM 80MS 128K

Heck, it's just a CD-ROM..  That's OK I guess..

>keyboard ($15)
>KEYTRONIC:REGPS2 WIN 95 KEYBOARD W/ PS/2 CONNECTOR SOFT TOUCH

OK.

>not getting a monitor

You also need a video board if you don't already have one as well..

------------------------------

From: Patrick LOGE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 HELP!!
Date: 20 May 1999 13:31:04 GMT

Booting AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 HELP!!
First, as you will see in the following message,
it is the FIRST time I try to boot Linux on an Aplha :)

How to boot this machine?

I've tried to go though de AlphaBIOS to insert LINUX
as a bootable OS.

I'v make a floppy with linload an a milo from the CD.

The machine start to boot with Linux but stopped to
"swapping ..PALCode..0x80000" or something like that.

I've been told that it was a wrong milo, and that it was no
milo at all for the AlphaServer 1000A 4/266...

Lot of poeple talk about about SRM consol (???) where do I find this...

I heard about "noritake" file what should I do with this???

So, it the mess :((((((((

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Blur problem with X-Window
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 02:19:40 GMT

I don't think so as I only used 800x600 and 16bit. But I really don't know
how to set the hsync and vsync frequencies as I don't have a manual. I used
the values set by Xconfigurator after I chose AT&T 15" monitor. And, there
are so many lines of modes, which one should I modify the clock? And to how
much? Thank you!

Di Yu
5.20

From: "Steve Blakeney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Newbie - Problems getting cable modem and NIC to work
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:49:56 GMT

Hello Group:

I am new to Linux and I am having a real hard time with the networking
portion of the package.  I am using SuSE 6.1 and i am receiving a failed
message at the eth0 adapter line.  My NIC is a Realtek 8029 which is
supported.  As for the cable modem, does anybody know how to confgiure the
NIC to use the Cable Modem under Linux.  I am using the @home service in
Canada.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.