From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Home made Small(est) open HW (schematics) to run (Embedded)Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 19:04:09 GMT

www.mvista.com

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Albert Goodwill wrote:
> >Is there any puclic/open HW information (inc. schematics) for small
embedded
> >computer boards to run Linux to build home-made Linux machine?
>
> try LART (don't have the url at hand, but you'll find a link at the
home
> page for ARM linux;  the board uses the strongarm cpu)
>
> hs

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Andrew n marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Headaches...
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:24:45 -0800

I'm not a Linux expert, but I believe that Linux 2.2 can only handle 4
IDE buses, and you have 6 (2 ATA100, 2 ATA66 and 2 ATA33 on the
motherboard).  so when it checked for IDE, it got to the ninth drive
('i' is the ninth letter of the alphabet) and choked.  You'll need a 2.4
based install package, or disable/remove one during setup until you can
build your own 2.4 kernel.

Anm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: network cards and pissing me off
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 19:41:41 GMT

I have a 3c905 and a 3c595 network cards in my computer.. I used to
have a p2-266 but upgraded to a p2-350.. Everything used to work great
but now,,,, The 3c595 card goes to my dsl modem.. Works great.. The
3c905 goes to the intranet.. Doesnt work great.. When I ping a site on
the internet.. Everything is fine.. When I then ping a computer in my
intranet.. The pinging of the outside site stops and the inside pinging
loses most of the packets.. only some return.. I did notice that both
the cards are using irq 12.. Any ideas on this one...

Heres the boot messages..

Linux version 2.4.1-pre12 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.96 20000731
(Red Hat
 Linux 7.0)) #1 SMP Tue Feb 1 12:33:34 EST 2005
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
 BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 @ 0000000000000000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000400 @ 000000000009fc00 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000010000 @ 00000000000f0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000010000 @ 00000000ffff0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000003f00000 @ 0000000000100000 (usable)
Scan SMP from c0000000 for 1024 bytes.
Scan SMP from c009fc00 for 1024 bytes.
Scan SMP from c00f0000 for 65536 bytes.
Scan SMP from c0000000 for 4096 bytes.
On node 0 totalpages: 16384
zone(0): 4096 pages.
zone(1): 12288 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
mapped APIC to ffffe000 (01112000)
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux-241 ro root=308
BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlin
ux-2.4.1
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 360.824 MHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 719.25 BogoMIPS
"dmesg" 117L, 5000C
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 719.25 BogoMIPS
Memory: 61844k/65536k available (1225k kernel code, 3304k reserved,
436k data, 2
12k init, 0k highmem)
Dentry-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Buffer-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 512K
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: After generic, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: Common caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 512K
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.

CPU: L2 cache: 512K
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: After generic, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: Common caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) stepping 02
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 1464.67 usecs.
SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
Setting commenced=1, go go go
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb450, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/7110] at 00:07.0
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:07.2
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:09.0
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:11.0
Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Calling quirk for 01:00
isapnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB16 PnP'

isapnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB16 PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
DMI 2.1 present.
30 structures occupying 810 bytes.
DMI table at 0x000F0800.
BIOS Vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version: 4.51 PG
BIOS Release: 01/05/99
Board Vendor: http://www.abit.com.tw.
Board Name: i440BX-W977 (BX6R2).
Board Version:  .
Starting kswapd v1.8
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
block: queued sectors max/low 40994kB/13664kB, 128 slots per queue
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
hda: ST39140A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: GCD-R540, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 17803440 sectors (9115 MB) w/448KiB Cache, CHS=1108/255/63
hdc: ATAPI 4X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 >
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Serial driver version 5.02 (2000-08-09) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI ISA
PNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.22
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096

md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
IPv4 over IPv4 tunneling driver
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
Freeing unused kernel memory: 212k freed
Adding Swap: 160608k swap-space (priority -1)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Mark W Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re Changing Monitor
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:49:26 +1200

Sorry I should have been more specific.  I dont even run X, I am trying
to turn down the refresh rate out a the Command Line.  This is why I
posted as it is a very weird topic.

Thanks Anyway,

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 20:56:09 +0100

In alt.os.linux.mandrake 2/much/hardware!!! <nospam@foryou!.com> wrote:
> Promise PCI Ultra100 ATA100 controller (I'm pretty sure this is the culprit)

And so it is. There is no  support for that driver in the installation
kernel. Plug your drives into the standard IDE interface sockets
instead.

When all is installed, compile a kernel with the right driver, and plug
the drives back where you found them first (etc.).

Peter

------------------------------

From: LAHAYE Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to detect Hardware with shell commands.
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:16:23 +0100

Are there any commands to detect Hardware config under linux (using shell
programming like bash/sed/awk/dd/cat/$()/proc/...)?

I'm aware of /proc/pci for example(lspci isn't present everywhere), but I
don't know how to detect the number of SDRAM modules or the speed of SDRAM
modules (are my 256Megs == 2*128MB 133MHz SDRAM or == 4*64MB 100MHz SDRAM)

I'd like to detect physicals PCI busses (there are pci boards that are
parts of the mainboard).
I'd like to detect CPU Bus speed.
I'd like to detect PCI width and speed (64/32bits 33/66MHz)
I'd like to detect free physical pci slots. (or vesa or isa too if possible)
I'd like to detect if I'm running on battery or on sector

I had a look to /proc, but maybe a dd if=/dev/kmem with appropriate
parameters would allow more infos?

(My aim is to create a multi platform exploitation document generated in
HTML. Actually, the SUN/Solaris and Compaq/OSF1 parts are ok :-).)
--
           Olivier LAHAYE

------------------------------

From: "Ken Whaley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: PCI bus access
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:45:15 -0800

If you want a quick & dirty "map me my device" then just
do an mmap call on /dev/mem giving the physical range
that you want to map (you can find your device via "cat /proc/pci")
and using the returned virtual address as the base of your device's
memory range.  This is a hack, but you asked for "the simplest way"
and that's what this is.

Note that the usual permissions on /dev/mem prevent all but root from
creating writeable maps on /dev/mem).

x86 note: This is assuming that you're in fact talking about a PCI
device's *memory* range, not an i/o port range.

x86 note: If you want any sort of decent write performance
(above about 30MB/sec) to PCI device memory space on PII's or
later then you'll have to write a kernel module and mark the appropriate
portions of your device's address space as USWC via the mtrr_add() function.
Beware: make sure you understand USWC before doing this, because memory
transactions to USWC memory are "weakly" ordered.

General Note: make sure you understand the memory ordering rules of your
host platform, this is especially crucial when accessing PCI device
addresses
that have side effects.  Usual problems are: multiple writes to the same
address could be squashed by the processor, or writes can arrive at the
device in a different order than the order they were issued by the program.

    Ken

news:955ggk$7fa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Craig Orsinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network cards and pissing me off
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:03:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a 3c905 and a 3c595 network cards in my computer.. I used to
> have a p2-266 but upgraded to a p2-350.. Everything used to work great
> but now,,,, The 3c595 card goes to my dsl modem.. Works great.. The
> 3c905 goes to the intranet.. Doesnt work great.. When I ping a site on
> the internet.. Everything is fine.. When I then ping a computer in my
> intranet.. The pinging of the outside site stops and the inside pinging
> loses most of the packets.. only some return.. I did notice that both
> the cards are using irq 12.. Any ideas on this one...

        In the comp.os.linux.networking group, someone mentioned
that there are timing problems with the 2.4.0 version of this
driver. I suggest you try to use the 2.4.1 (release) version of
the driver - it was claimed to have been fixed in this release.

------------------------------

From: bz2z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tv-out and linux
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:21:15 +0100

hi,
Is it possible to use the tv-out (PAL) option i have on my Viper550
card?
 thanks,
Bz2z

------------------------------

From: "Bege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TurtleBeach Montego A3D 64 voice in Redhat 6.2??
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:30:01 +0100

how do I get my soundcard TurtleBeach Montego A3D 64 voice to work i Redhat
6.2? sndconfig says it's not supported. Where do I get drivers?

------------------------------

From: Magnus Gustavsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI modem
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:49:42 +0100

Hello!

I´m trying to install a pci-modem with a PCTEL chipset but wont get it
to work.
I´m following the instructions on "http://www.eastwind.com.au/pctel.htm"
but when I get to step 3b it just says "Segmentation fault (core
dumped)".

Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:00:49 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software RAID

Allen Crider wrote:

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > Andy Walker wrote:
> > >
> > > If I add all four drives should this in theory increase performance
> > > proportionately using RAID0 then ?
> >
> > If you are using scsi or you are using separate IDE channels it should
> > increase. The negative impact of simultaneous access on a single IDE
> > channel will interfere. On older controllers there will be no benefit
> > when using two drives on the same cable, but I've heard newer
> > controllers have compensated in some way (I don't know what way that is
> > though, I wouldn't trust two or more drives on the same channel of an
> > IDE controller for any kind of raid). SCSI is nice because they are
> > designed for simultaneous access.
>
> That's one of the real advantages of ATA100. Two drives on the same channel
> can deliver more aggregate throughput than with ATA66.

I can see this as an improvement to be able to burst faster, and be done
with it, but there are still problems that a single cable/channel (with
2 IDE drives) would have. If a single channel is used with two drives,
IDE does not disconnect and allow the other drive to use the cable while
the original unit is executing its instructions (whether that is to
fetch or write data). So each drive must access the bus sequentially. If
that data is cached in the internal ram, the 100 MHz burst would be very
good (not as good as Ultra 160), but on read of a large amount of data,
there is no way that the cache can help nearly as much as for smaller
reads. Despite the great improvement of ATA100 over earlier IDE, if
separate channels are not used for each drive, there is a great
disadvantage for IDE versus SCSI. Add to this the extra cpu overhead of
IDE (which can be greatly reduced by DMA operation), and the advantages
drop or gain much based simply on the cpu speed. The really nice IDE
solutions, for raid boxes, put a separate controller on every IDE slot,
and possibly coprocessor to relieve the main cpu from the overhead (in a
way this is hardware already on each scsi disk). All of this is to say
that results for software raid will generally be much better for scsi;
it is possible to obtain good results for IDE, but it is more difficult,
and not as easy to predict.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:04:17 -0600

Darren and Marla Welson wrote:

> I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to access
> my tape drive.  I have tried:
> mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
> but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?

Tape devices don't use file systems so you don't mount them.
Just read and write the data directly to the device.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])