Linux-Hardware Digest #315, Volume #10           Mon, 24 May 99 18:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Diamond Media Stealth II AGP problems (Matt Starnes)
  Re: zip disk problem (Matt Starnes)
  Re: RH 6, sndconfig, sound balster 16 PnP (Dan Finn)
  Re: Adaptec timeout revisited (Craig Ruff)
  Re: Moving source code files from NT to Linux (Henrik Carlqvist)
  3c905B card related problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  new install, VERY slow... (Jeff Mitchell)
  Hardware Raid linux info (Brian McCullough)
  Help w/ Adaptec 1510 install! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Hard drive flipping bits! (Bill C Riemers)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Osvaldo
Pinali Doederlein")
  Re: recognizing all my RAM (Michael Gibson)
  Re: How can I upgrade my kernel? (Michael Gibson)
  Lexmark 1020 (DB7654321)
  exabyte eliant 820 density problem (Ray Eads)
  Re: new install, VERY slow... (bryan)
  Shared IRQs Okay with PCMCIA Combo Card? (Peter Schwenk)
  Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Laptop (Hitoshi Yonenobu)
  new sblive driver is perfect (patrick)

From: Matt Starnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Media Stealth II AGP problems
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:06:01 -0500

"Meglathery, Ryan D." wrote:

> Hi,
>     I recently upgraded to Red Hat 6.0.  It's really nice but the
> problem is that my video card doesn't appear to be supported in
> Xwindows.  Ironically enough my father also has an Intel 740 controller
> chip in his video card.  I was wondering if anyone would let me know if
> there is a vid driver for this
> card somewhere or at least for the chipset which is an Intel 740
> controller.  Or if someone could tell me where to look I'd really
> appreciate it.  (Or if I need to replace my video card, which would be a
>
> real shame because it's not even a year old yet).
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Yeah, it is usually in the Contrib directory with the Slackware
distribution.  There should have been a contrib with your Redhat too.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Matt Starnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: zip disk problem
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:09:41 -0500

Do you have NTFS read-only compiled in your kernel?  If you format those
ZIP drives in NT you might be formating them with NTFS.

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:31:29 -0400
From: Dan Finn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH 6, sndconfig, sound balster 16 PnP

I don't have the manual, i got settings from windown 95 but I have read
before that sometimes what you get from windows will actually be incorrect
and not totally correct.  My settings I think should be quite similar to
what yours are though.  Thank you for the help.

Dan Finn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Ruff)
Subject: Re: Adaptec timeout revisited
Date: 24 May 1999 11:32:37 -0600

In article <7ibebn$u1v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Carsten Krebs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>SCSI abborting command due to timeout pid 27, scsi0, channel0, id3, lunO
>est Unit ready 00 00 00 00 00

Sounds like a possible cable or termination problem.  Make sure the cables
are all plugged in correctly and that the termination is correct.
--
Craig Ruff              NCAR                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(303) 497-1211          P.O. Box 3000

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving source code files from NT to Linux
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 00:44:25 +0200

"KERR, MIKE" wrote:
> I downloaded a Linux NIC driver source code(written in C) file on an
> NT machine. I want to put it on a disk and then put it on a Slackware
> 96 machine so I can compile it,

>    The problem is that when I try to compile it using gcc, I get lots
> of warnings and errors. I'm assuming the file should work and it's a
> problem involving going from NT to Linux.

Try something like this:

fromdos < filename.c > tmpfilename.c ; mv -f tmpfilename.c filename.c

This helps if your problem is caused by carriage return at end of lines.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3c905B card related problems
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:32:27 GMT

I have been to Donald Becker's web site,
downloaded the latest 3c59x.c file (which includes
fixes for the 3c905B card).  I rebuilt the kernel
(version 2.0.36) and now at boot the 3c905B card
is recognized but the kernel panics when it cannot
mount the root device

PARTITION CHECK:
VFS: CANNOT OPEN ROOT DEVICE 08:01
KERNEL PANIC: VFS: UNABLE TO MOUNT ROOT FS ON 08:01

I have checked with rdev the kernel is looking for
/dev/sda1 (which is correct).

The default Redhat 5.2 kernel (2.0.36) boots and
finds the root device with no problem; however it
cannot identify the 3c905B card.  Any thoughts?
I'm stumpted.

Thanks,
Jim Barker

From: Jeff Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: new install, VERY slow...
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:42:30 -0400

I've just spent the weekend putting Debian 2.1 on an i386 based machine
I pieced together.  The installation went extremely slowly, and running
virtually anything on it is much slower than (I think) it should be.

The machine started out as a gateway, and has a motherboard supplied by
them circa 1992.  It came with a 75mhz pentium chip, but I've put a
100mhz pentium on it and changed a dipswitch on the board to recognize
it.  I have an old 1G Quantum hard drive, a Sony CD, an old 5 1/4 inch
floppy, a Trident video card, and a linksys nic.  I also installed the
latest version of the bios.  It has 40M of simm memory.

I installed from an official two-cd set, the same cds I used to install
on my other (recent vintage) i386 based system.  On that system the
whole install took a couple of hours.  On this old system, it took about
24 hours.  Since installing on the old system, it boots really slowly, X
runs extremely slow, and everything is just generally as slow as
molasses.

There aren't any weird processes running.  top shows normal activity.

Of course it's an older machine, much slower than my newer one (233mhz
pentium mmx), but I can't believe that it's normal for it to run this
slowly.  I also have an (even older) 486 machine that runs faster, (but
it has slackware on it, kernel 2.0.29 - but I'm assuming that it's not a
linux distribution issue).

I've played with various bios settings, to no effect.

Before I throw in the towel, can anybody give me any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Brian McCullough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware Raid linux info
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:41:34 -0500

Q. Is there anyone out there keeping track of hardware raid solutions
for linux?

Q. Is there a mailing list for hardware raid solutions for linux?

Q. Is there a linux raid utility that makes luns on a hadware raid?

FYI;
I have been playing with a PII 200 & and a old 3201 MetaStor raid.  I
installed
RH 5.2 after I used a dos utility to create the luns.  I found that I
could not boot
from the array (raid5), I just got a  LI prompt. I heard that RH6.0 will
do that, but stuck
behind a firewall from (well you get the point), so ftp install is out.
But until get
the CD or get past the firewall, I can boot from floppy and runs just
fine.
I could only see the first lun, so I recompiled to probe all luns, and
got constant
bus resets.  To fix this I down loaded the 2.2.3 kernel (and latter the
2.2.9 kernel)
and recompiled.  Now I see all 6 luns on the raid.

Brian,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help w/ Adaptec 1510 install!
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:33:31 GMT

I am trying to install a SCSI controller that requires Adaptec 1510
files and I don't know if Linux 5.2 comes with them already and if not
where can I get them. Also, how would I install and configure the card?
Thanks

Cam

From: Bill C Riemers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard drive flipping bits!
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:56:27 GMT

It sounds like you have successfully eliminated the possibility that it
is only one problem.  If you really think it is a problem with Linux not
setting the hardware params, try installing another OS, so it can setup
any physical params, and then running Linux.  Since most (not all) Linux
systems are setup on something that was originally running Windows, I
could believe the initialization of a hand built systems could have
problems.

However, more likely is just that you have more than one problem.  However,
the one thing you haven't really eliminated yet is the power supply.   If
you have a noisy power supply, that noise could be picked up in your cables.
A second thing that could have a strong set of RF signals generated nearby
that aren't being shielded.  For example, any computer setup in my sisters
house will have random disk errors, and other problems, until eventually
the computer goes bad.  There are several reasons.  First off, here
electric wiring is very old.  So if there aren't very aggressive set of
filters put in the power supply.  Usually, a spike filter, followed by
a UPS power supply followed by a filtered power board is what it takes
to completely eliminate all the noise from her electric lines.  However,
even once that is done, there are still random errors.  After 12 years
of problems, we finally found the problem was a bad heater fan.
Occasionally it would release a burst of RF interference.  Sometimes this
interference was visible on the television sets.  However, by tuning an
air band radio next to it, I found the bursts are actually far more frequent
than the television interference.  Only some of the most powerful bursts
would interfere with the television.  But the less powerful ones are
sufficient that drives and cables my sister decided were bad, have no
problem once moved.  However, strangely enough the same effect seemed to
restore a monitor.  Normally I had to hit it to keep it working, but I set
it up in here home, and it works perfectly.  My best guess is that all the
noise has the same effect on the electronics as me hitting it regularly.

If you want to test for this type of effect, the easiest thing to do
is to setup all your equipment at a friends house.  If it doesn't work
there, then the only part for noise you haven't at least reduced the
odds of likelihood on is the hardware itself.  e.g. The monitor, the
power supply, ...

                                Bill

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 22:03:06 +0200

westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7ic2lb$9i4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>   "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that the best that can be done is to restrain programs as to
> what they can do. To specify exactly what you want the program to do,
> and disallowing it from doing anything else, is affectively the same
> thing as writing the program. It is unfortunate but true that once we
> allow programs to do something useful, we allow them to do something
> harmful.

<science-fiction>I think in the future we can have some kind of formal
specification of everything that our programs do, and operating
systems/runtimes/VMs/whatever will be able to verify than some binary abides
to that spec.  For example, UML and CORBA are both moving to make some
constraints part of software components, then we would need lots of
intelligence in the runtimes to check constraints on binaries... bytecode
would be probably the only path for software distribution.  Users very
concerned with security, say, some militar facility, would have
administrators capable to read the formal specs of each and every software
they get, and tell if it looks safe.</science-fiction> But there's a long
way to go here.

> > This is being done by any respectable OS for a long time.  It seems
> > the idea of Spin is making application code safe even running it on
> > _privileged_ mode.
> Safer, perhaps. Of course, it always depends what level of privilege.
> I envisage systems where programs have much finer-grained levels of
> privilege, and that privilege would even vary within programs - a
> database program could use a component and decide how much to trust it,
> possibly denying it same privileges as the rest of the program, even
> while accessing it in-process. I don't know if that is available with
> Javabeans yet.

In Java you can define your own permissions and security managers.
Generally, if you have any central coordinator for some kind of object --
e.g. by using factories -- you can easily insert all sorts of checks.  There
are tricks like controlling inheritance on class loading time, so you can
prevent attacks like defining a derived class that override the secure bits
of its parent with unsecure code.  The Java core libs do this a lot, you
can't override freely some classes that are not 'final'.  And each bean can
protect itself from bad collaborators, e.g. using PropertyVetoException
which is usually thrown in the "invalid value for this attribute" situation,
but can also be smart enough to throw in the "unauthorized sender"
situation.

> > I guess it
> > would be a good idea to run them on kernel mode on protected operating
> > systems, bypassing lots of overhead that's useless because the JVM
> > takes care of the safety belts.
> Depends how trusting you are, and how thoroughly the code has been
> tested. There is always the possibility of some unforeseen problem
> arising. I would prefer to have nothing running in kernel mode but a
> simple scheduler.

Well it seems the microkernel religion is dying, since the major OS to claim
to do it (WinNT) has some megabytes of code running in kernel mode, and
Linus decided that the whole idea sucks and it's not even worth paying lip
service.  ;-)  I don't think the inclusion of an entire JVM would make most
OSen significantly less robust.  And we don't need to put in kernel mode
things like jitters; it suffices to have the performance-critical parts
(interpreter, native libs, GC).  Native libs which are not really
performance critical could be transformed in user-mode services, e.g. JDBC
drivers.

And we can probably get big advantage on integrating the garbage collector
tightly with the OS's virtual memory manager.  This is an old dream, there
is a lot of research on paging-friendly, OS-friendly, cache-friendly GC; but
not a lot of implementation as never before Java a GC system was popular
enough to justify such surgery on any major (commercial) OS.  I would expect
Sun to try that first, or maybe IBM... if the idea is good anyway; I only
know enough to say that the idea is cool.  ;-)

------------------------------

From: Michael Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recognizing all my RAM
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:33:48 +0000
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Jeffrey Bridge wrote:
> Now, I had one 64
>megabyte DIMM (PC100 SDRAM) in, and it worked fine. Then I added
>another, identical, and the BIOS found it, but Linux still only sees 64
>megs. Actually, it sees maybe one meg more than it did with 64 physical
>in, but it is not seeing the 131072K that it should.

edit the /etc/lilo.conf file and near the top enter the following

append="MEM=128M"   or whatever your memory size is.  Save the file, run
/sbin/lilo, reboot and Linux should see all your memory.  This is not needed on
the 2.2 kernels

Michael

------------------------------

From: Michael Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I upgrade my kernel?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:27:11 +0000

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Andrew Marks wrote:
>How do I upgrade my RH5.1 kernel to whatever the latest one is?

Read the Kernel-HOWTO before you do anything else.  It should be located in
your /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs folder if you installed them.

Regards
Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DB7654321)
Subject: Lexmark 1020
Date: 24 May 1999 21:19:29 GMT

Is there a linux driver for the Lexmark 1020?  If not is there a compatible
driver for it?

David Bell

Please don't email me just reply on the board.

------------------------------

From: Ray Eads <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: exabyte eliant 820 density problem
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:57:13 -0700

Hi there.  I've gotten some pretty wild behavior out of the mt-st
command. I'm using an Eliant 820 with mt-st 0.5b, kernel 2.2.5-15.

I can set the density of the drive to 0x8c (140), momentarily, but
then it changes back to 0, the default.  This is really annoying,
because /sbin/dump thinks I need 18 tapes to backup a gig of data.

I've used various combinations of setdensity and defdensity without
much progress.  Does anyone know of a newer version or another way
around this?

--
Ray Eads ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new install, VERY slow...
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:40:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Jeff Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]

sounds like cache is disabled.  have you tried resetting bios to
defaults and then tuning each parm by hand?

: I've played with various bios settings, to no effect.

oh ;-)

try another disk or cdrom?  when I had errors on my cdrom reader, it
was still working but VERY slow.  lots of re-reads (retries).

do you have the cdrom and disk on the same channel?  can they both be
masters, each on their own channel?

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: Peter Schwenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shared IRQs Okay with PCMCIA Combo Card?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:41:44 -0400

Hello:

I've got a Gateway 5150    (p2-300, 128MB RAM) with a   combo
Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA card (Megahertz brand).  I've just installed RH6
on it, and it seems like it is assigning the same IRQ (3) to both the
modem and the ethernet parts.  I can't talk to either device, and I'm
not sure if the IRQ being the same is the problem.  dmesg announces the
modem as "tty01".  I'm assuming that this corresponds with the
"/dev/ttyS1" device file.  Is that right?  Both devices show up in
dmesg's output.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Peter Schwenk
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hitoshi Yonenobu)
Subject: Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Laptop
Date: 24 May 1999 07:31:29 GMT

<7i1lst$ofb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>の記事において
[EMAIL PROTECTED]さんは書きました。
I got Sony Vaio 505SX recently and installed Debian/Linux package.
My Linux is working with no problems.
Actually I tried to install some packages, i.e. Slackware, Redhat, Vine,
and finally Debian. In my opinion, Vine was the easiest, because the configuration
of neo-magic X server is perfect. But Vine is
a Redhat-based Japanese Package, so it would be difficult for you to get the
package. I recommend debian or redhat.

Yonenobu

------------------------------

From: patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new sblive driver is perfect
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:13:47 +0200

hi all

i downloaded the new soundblaster driver at creative
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/
 ftp://ftp.soundblaster.com/pub/creative/beta/sblive-0.2b.tar.gz

wav files are no longer clutered up and quake 3 works perfect now, still
only front boxes that work, but hey keep up the good work creative

patrick :)