From: Jay Bigelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Promise eide 4030plus disk accelerator
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 16:05:09 -0400

I've got a spare machine that I installed RH 5.0 on that's got a DC4030Plus in it
with 8MB RAM. I'm not sure I want to part with it, but make me an offer.

I might be persuaded to sell the whole thing (DC4030Plus, Hercules Terminator  VLB
video, M/B with AMD 5x86/133 CPU, etc.).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Linux Louie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:  Linux training in Austin, Texas
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:00:58 GMT

Hey -

There's Linux treaining in Austin, Texas.  Check out
http://training.three-sixteen.com.

LL

------------------------------

From: Clarence Riddle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT only in 256 colours.
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:17:07 -0500

Riva TNT (pci)  works fine in RH 6.0 but not in RH 5.2. I'm running
1024x768

cgr

------------------------------

From: Clarence Riddle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT Drivers for Linux
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:22:02 -0500

Riva TNT works fine with the RH 6.0 SVGA server - no clock

cgr

From: Clarence Riddle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 Problems
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:34:19 -0500

Go in setup (del on boot) and turn off pnp os. I have several machines configured like
your and have no problems running RH 5.2, RH 6.0, SCO Unix 3.2.4 (ODT 3), win95,
win98, NT4.0 server. I build systems.

cgr

------------------------------

From: "colin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6.0 setup with LS-120 and PCMCIA NIC?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:42:12 -0700

I'm trying to install RedHat 6.0 on my laptop using the FTP install method.
I need to load the secondary PCMCIA supplemental diskette during setup.
At that point, it fails to mount the floppy, since the LS-120 drive is
mounted as hdd, and there is no "floppy".  How do I get this to work?  Thank
you.

Colin Reinhardt

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 16:08:40 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CT MediaGX motherboards and Linux

Hi,

I don't have "hands-on" experience with Cyrix MediaGX, but I did some
research. Looks like this motherboard, the CPU and video are supported,
but audio is not. However, audio might be supported in the future by
OSS.

Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO lists MediaGX audio as unsupported
(http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-13.html).

OSS says that MediaGX sound is not supported YET
(http://www.opensound.com/osshw.html).

This guy claims to have the CPU and video working
(http://www.ggi-project.org/mailinglist/jul98/599.html).

Hope this helps.

From: Dirk Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing with NEC P6
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:07:37 +0200

Hello everybody!

Please, is there anybody using an old NEC P6 or CP6 with Linux?  I
posted the problem below to comp.os.linux.setup, but did not get an
answer.  It seems to be seldom that anyone wishes to use such old
printers today.

Thank you for your help!
Dirk Herrmann

Hello!

When printing on a NEC P6, I have the following problem:  Every sheet of
paper that is inserted into the printer is automatically placed such
that
the printing head is about 2cm below the top edge.  This can not be
avoided.  Unfortunately, the printer driver adds about an additional
inch
of free space to the top, such that I end up with a top margin about 4.5
cm (about 1.8 inches).  I assume that the printer driver does not know
that there already is a top margin of 2cm and assumes it has to move the
paper for 1in in order to achieve the desired top margin.

How can I tell the printer driver, that there already is a top margin of
2cm and that the paper has to be moved only for the difference?

The same problem occurs with a NEC P6C.  Tests on this printer also
revealed a problem with the bottom margin:  The printer has a sensor to
determine whether paper is inserted.  For some reason, the printer stops
printing on the current page (at about a bottom margin of 3in) when the
current sheet has moved across that point.  It only continues printing
on
the current page when I insert a new sheet to fake the sensor.  To make
things clearer:  The purpose of the sensor (as far as I understand from
its placement) is not to determine the end of the current paper, but
rather to determine whether a new sheet is inserted, which is ready to
be pulled under the printing head (then leaving the 2cm margin described
above).
It might be interesting to know that printing with an older version of
word perfect from dos does not have this problem.  Word perfect only
leaves less than 1in margin at the bottom of the page.

I use ghostscript 5.10 with the necp6 driver.

Can anybody help me with either problem?
Many thanks in advance.

Dirk Herrmann

--
Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann

--
This message is best viewed with ISO 8859/1 (latin-1) character
encoding.

------------------------------

From: Marc Duran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ViewSonic G790 Monitor problem...
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:12:58 GMT

  I just got a Viewsonic G790, and under Windoze, I'm able to get
1280x1024 just fine.  however, I get this resolution under X, but the
picture takes on a dull brownish color.

Resoultions of 1024x768 show up fine.  Could it be my video card or the
Mach64 X server?

I'm currently using an ATI Xpert 98 w/8MB of RAM.

  I appreciate the help! :)

Marc

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 2.2.5-15 kernel eats memory!
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 21:45:21 +0100

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Clarence Riddle wrote:

> I had the same problem. I think it is the apps that you are running.
It's not a problem it's a feature.  Free memory is not doing anything
useful so the kernel grabs it for disk cache to improve disk read/write
performance.

The kernel also swaps pages that haven't been referenced for a while to
disk to free more memory for running processes and disk cache.

> Joe Robertson wrote:
>
> > I don't get this.. I'm running RedHat 6.0 with a minimum of services.. and
> > after a reboot, my free memory is only about 24MB(out of 64). A few hours
> > later, I have about 1.7MB free, and my swap starts to become active.. I do
> > not have many users, nor memory-eating apps.. it all seems to go into
> > "cached" memory.. Now cache is nice, but I don't want all my available
> > memory allocated to it! And I want to avoid swap usage... can anyone
> > help??
> >
> > Here is output of "free" command:
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> > Mem:         62860      60688       2172      36268       1668      42632
> > -/+ buffers/cache:      16388      46472
> > Swap:        24060       1068      22992

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Jil Tardiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I'm *close* with my Epson 740 setup...please help!
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 16:05:25 -0400

Thanks to all!

It's up and working finally.

Chris, I followed your instructions to the letter and I can now print from
Netscape AND the postscript test files work.

I'm sure I'll uncover a glitch or two...but at least I can print graphics
AND text.

Andrew, thanks for the pointer to the web site. It was very helpful to read
through it. I went through the files that Dale has put together and they
incorporate many of the suggested changes.

These "stumbling blocks" along the Linux learning curve can be painful, but
at least I always end up learning something useful.

Thanks again,

Jil

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem install linux in a old packard bell computer
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:53:03 GMT

In article <7j94a3$jio$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  ZuoDong Zheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> i have a old PB 630CDT packard bell computer,
> (i don't think most of you will know what PB 630CDT is.
> it's a old model of packard bell PC, and this one got 32MB memory
> around 400MB harddisk, and it has a CD rom driver and floppy
> driver. hope that helps)  and i want to install redhat linux 6.0 on
it.
> BUt when i boots it using the linux boot disk, it goes to a point
where
> it says "RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0" and freezed
there.

> My question is: is it possible to install linux on my kind system?
Have
> any body done this before?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated

I put Linux on an old Nec readysys (same company as packard bell).  This
was a pentium 100 with a 1 gig drive and 32 MB ram, so it was pretty
close to yours.

The system was total junk, but I did manage to get Linux up on it.

As for your boot problem, try making an new boot floppy with a different
and freshly formatted floppy disk.  I have had problems like you are
describing when I had a bood floppy with sectors going bad.  Likewise,
make sure the floppy drive itself is not returning excess errors.  This
may or may not be the problem, but it is easy to check.

I also had problems with that system with bad RAM.  When CompUSA sold it
to my brother in law, they put two different brands of (unmatched) 16 MB
simms in.  Each would work fine in alone (this system would work with
single 72 pin simms, manufacturers can design systems to do this but it
is a performance hit), but when both were in the system you would get
bizarre intermittant errors.  This was probably the single hardest
problem I have ever tracked down on a computer, and whoever CompUSA
hired for onsite service seemed incapable of bringing the right
replacement part, even with my explicit instructions (4 visits total, as
I recall).

Anyway, bad ram might not show up very often in windows, but may show up
in linux (they just map things to different places, and one may get
lucky).  A kernal build would crash every time with bad ram, that was
the best test I found.  Even win-checkit pro (a pretty nice diagnostic
package) would only detect the error about every 3rd day of continous
ram checking.  A kernel build would fail everytime like clockwork, and
show it up in less then an hour.

Keep watching the list to see if anyone else has set up Linux on your
exact model, to eliminate the possiblity of proprietary
incompatibilities (packard bell / NEC make pretty lousy machines, IMHO,
so I would not be terribly suprised if this was the case).

In the meantime, if you have other parts available, try making a new
boot floppy, swapping floppy drives, and swapping ram in that order (or
run diagnostic software if you have it).

Good Luck!

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make

From: norman elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 21:23:55 +0000

Thlayli wrote:

> "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >What crap!
> >
> >You mean you didn't have to screw around with different
> >driver disks? And reboot for every bit of hardware W95
> >found?
>
> Nope.  Had to do that for NT - load a video driver that was on the install CD,
> load a sound driver that I had to get off the net.  I never did get my sound
> card to work in any attempt at Linux.  And don't even get me started on my X
> problems.
>
> 95?  Everything worked right the first time.
>
> >That is all baking a new kernel is for in Linux, in most
> >cases.
>
> So you'd rather redo the kernel to put in a device driver than reboot once to
> load a PnP driver?
>
> --
> Thlayli
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.geocities.com/~thlayli23x/home.html
>
> This message printed on 100% recycled electrons (40% post-consumer)
>
> *** Replace "theglobe.com" with "usa.net" to email me ***

I had Windows 95 on this PC but it crashed several times each week. I reformatted

the hard disc and started from scratch at least once per month. In the end I
removed
it altogether and did fdisk /mbr to make sure. I installed Slackware, kernel
2.0.29, and
later upgraded to kernel 2.0.34  I have had it on this PC for almost a year and
the only
time it has screwed up was when I filled up the root file system. Even then I was
able
to boot from a floppy and clean it up. All I lost was my netscape and email
files.
I had not used Unix at all before starting with Linux. I have used MSDos since
version 2.01 and worked my way through to Windows 95.
I put Windows 95 on another PC  and soon got problems with it. I eventually
bought
Norton utilities which manages to stop it screwing itself up most time. So a non
MS product
was needed to keep it in order. I have still had to completely reinstall it twice
in 6 months.
I put Linux on an old 486 which I use as my Internet gateway machine. It sits up
in my
loft chugging away 24 hours per day and has done for months.
I rarely use the Windows 95 PC. My daughter uses it as she is used to MS Office
at work.
I have tried to get her to use Star Office 5 but she is too lazy to change. At
present there is
only one, database, application which I use on the Win95 PC. One day i will have
a go at
writing a front end for the database and then it will be goodbye MS stuff.
It is true that in general Windows is easier to install on some hardware and the
range for
which it makes reasonable choices is quite large (  except NT 4 of course ) but
how many
would find it easy if they had not worked their way up to it.
I have a friend who was completely computer illiterate. He bought a PC and when
he switched
it on the first time it asked him if he wanted an "In store demo" installation
or a "User" installation. He rang me for advice because he could not decide.
I am not saying that Linux is super easy. I have made a number of mistakes with
it.
But I did with MSDos in the early days. I have worked in IT support for a number
of
years and have found that with HP PCs you can get some models on which Win95
will install like a dream. On others it is a nightmare.
In one case calling MS got no useful help.
Calling our supplier got us passed on to HP after 10 days. They eventually said
that only one specific network card could be used with Win95 on that model!!
Needless to say it was one of their own brand top of the range cards.
Often Linux lags behind in some areas but it does catch up and in some areas
it is well in front.
I have to say that without MS stuff there would not be anywhere near the number
of PC users but they still release truly buggy stuff. Our policy has been dont
buy
the product until at least service pack one or better still two.
the above is just my humble opinion and experiences.
enjoy your computing
norm

------------------------------

From: Simone Piccardi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: There is an updated version of SCSI Howto?
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:10:30 +0200

Hi,
I was looking for info about SCSI, but I can only find a SCSI
Programming Howto in the LDP site. I find a very old version of SCSI
Howto. There is somewhere an updated version?
Simone Piccardi
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley)
Subject: Re: Where do I find jumper spec for old hard disk?
Date: 4 Jun 1999 21:11:12 GMT

In article <7j9cmi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung) writes:
> Would someone remind me of the url for that?  Thanks.

That depends on who made the disk.

http://www.quantum.com
http://www.seagate.com
http://www.maxtor.com
http://www.wdc.com              Western digital

|         o        Tom Daley                                      |
|   ___ </v        Woodland Park, CO                              |
|  ___  -\         [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            |
| ___    /                                    (719) 534-0449  x27 |
|       (*)        Linux!                                         |

From: Chris Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and KDE
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:31:01 -0700

==============CBB68AEDAA50EBAB62610758

Raul wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> Greetings, I am a rookie user to Linux. I had recently installed RH5.2 in my
> computer.
> I know that there are some configurations had to be set in order to make the
> hardwares support the Xwindow and the name of it is Xfree86. But my problem
> is I don't know what to do to make it work with my computer and how to set
> them up.
> ALso, I have another problem is that I don't know how install the KDE in
> Linux, can anyone give me an advice pls?
> Looking forwward to replys! Thx for help.

How did your setup go? Did the Xconfigurator utility run correctly? If you want
to set up XFree86, run the command (as root)
root@localhost /root# Xconfigurator
and it will ask you a few questions about what kind of video card you have,
what type of monitor you have, and also what resolutions you want to run in. If
you'd like some more help with your setup, then we (in the newsgroups) will
need some more information- what kind of video card do you have? How much video
RAM? How good is your monitor? Once you can tell us this, we will be able to
help you out much more. As for KDE, don't install it until you have a perfectly
working X-Windows environment. I can help you out with that if you can tell me
which version of RedHat 5.2 you bought (there are several versions, from
RedHat, from Macmillan Publishing, from online websites... Did you get the
Official RedHat 5.2 in the blue box?) Thanks, and I'll be waiting for your
reply so I can help.

==============CBB68AEDAA50EBAB62610758

Raul wrote:
in my
make the
problem
to set
in
How did your setup go? Did the Xconfigurator utility run correctly? If
you want to set up XFree86, run the command (as root)
have, what type of monitor you have, and also what resolutions you want
to run in. If you'd like some more help with your setup, then we (in the
newsgroups) will need some more information- what kind of video card do
you have? How much video RAM? How good is your monitor? Once you can tell
us this, we will be able to help you out much more. As for KDE, don't install
it until you have a perfectly working X-Windows environment. I can help
you out with that if you can tell me which version of RedHat 5.2 you bought
(there are several versions, from RedHat, from Macmillan Publishing, from
online websites... Did you get the Official RedHat 5.2 in the blue box?)
Thanks, and I'll be waiting for your reply so I can help.</html>

From: Chris Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:30:22 -0700

==============E807D778E93F441D74124FE8

Raul wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> Greetings, I am a rookie user to Linux. I had recently installed RH5.2 in my
> computer.
> I know that there are some configurations had to be set in order to make the
> hardwares support the Xwindow and the name of it is Xfree86. But my problem
> is I don't know what to do to make it work with my computer and how to set
> them up.
> ALso, I have another problem is that I don't know how install the KDE in
> Linux, can anyone give me an advice pls?
> Looking forwward to replys! Thx for help.

How did your setup go? Did the Xconfigurator utility run correctly? If you want
to set up XFree86, run the command (as root)
root@localhost /root# Xconfigurator
and it will ask you a few questions about what kind of video card you have,
what type of monitor you have, and also what resolutions you want to run in. If
you'd like some more help with your setup, then we (in the newsgroups) will
need some more information- what kind of video card do you have? How much video
RAM? How good is your monitor? Once you can tell us this, we will be able to
help you out much more. As for KDE, don't install it until you have a perfectly
working X-Windows environment. I can help you out with that if you can tell me
which version of RedHat 5.2 you bought (there are several versions, from
RedHat, from Macmillan Publishing, from online websites... Did you get the
Official RedHat 5.2 in the blue box?) Thanks, and I'll be waiting for your
reply so I can help.

==============E807D778E93F441D74124FE8

Raul wrote:
in my
make the
problem
to set
in
How did your setup go?&nbsp;Did the Xconfigurator utility run correctly?&nbsp;If
you want to set up XFree86, run the command (as root)
have, what type of monitor you have, and also what resolutions you want
to run in. If you'd like some more help with your setup, then we (in the
newsgroups) will need some more information- what kind of video card do
you have?&nbsp;How much video RAM? How good is your monitor?&nbsp;Once
you can tell us this, we will be able to help you out much more. As for
KDE, don't install it until you have a perfectly working X-Windows environment.
I can help you out with that if you can tell me which version of RedHat
5.2 you bought (there are several versions, from RedHat, from Macmillan
Publishing, from online websites... Did you get the Official RedHat 5.2
in the blue box?) Thanks, and I'll be waiting for your reply so I can help.</html>

==============E807D778E93F441D74124FE8==