Linux-Hardware Digest #411, Volume #14           Tue, 27 Feb 01 19:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: ACPI Power Managment Caldera (Michael Meissner)
  3com 3c515 request for help (lucas)
  Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID?? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID?? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID?? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Booting Raid 1 or 5 ("julius")
  Re: How do I load a module at start up? (Matthew Paterson)
  Re: What's a good AGP 1x video card? (PAUL NIELSEN)
  Re: Voodoo3, OpenGL and Half-Life (Matthew Paterson)
  Re: 3com 900B-combo (Christian Roessner)
  Re: Voodoo3, OpenGL and Half-Life (Matthew Paterson)
  Can I install Redhatt 7.0 on an IBM rs/6000 7025 F3 ? ("TFH")
  Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID?? (Jonathan Buzzard)
  HELP: Need help for soundblaster live card on redhat linux 6.2 ("Ed")
  Re: FastTrak100 - accessing and booting from RAID 0 array (iQXth)
  Re: VIA IDE problems (was Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??) (Paul Grayson)
  Re: Linux partitioning question ("Greg H.")
  ACPI and SMP ("Greg H.")
  Re: HELP: Need help for soundblaster live card on redhat linux 6.2 ("D. Stimits")

Subject: Re: ACPI Power Managment Caldera
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 15:55:46 -0500

"Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 on my NEC Versa LX notebook.  I upgraded
> the notebook from APM to ACPI power management by downloading a flash bios
> update from NEC's site.  My battery lasts longer now (under Win2K) and a
> problem I was having with my sound not coming back after hibernate mode has
> been resolved by performing this upgrade.  Does Linux support ACPI?  I don't
> want to go back to APM and would like to be able to monitor my battery usage
> under Linux as well as under Win2K.

Kernel versions 2.4.x support ACPI (or at least have a configure option for it,
I don't know if there are user space programs you need to install as well).

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:44:15 -0500
From: lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com 3c515 request for help

hello one and all,

i humbly request a little help and guidance.  i have a pure isa 486 with a true
3com 3c515 isa 100base ethernet.  i installed a new version of redhat linux 6.2,
kernel version 2.2.14-5.0.  i have been trying for three days to get linux to
recognize the 3c515 card, but it will not.  i have set the eeprom settings using
a dos bootable disk and the 3com 3c515cfg utility.  i have tried many
configurations, and the current is set at ioaddr=0x280, irq=12, and dma=5.  the
3c515cfg utility passes the testing.  so i know the board works and the settings
are coded in the eeprom.

i have conf.modules containing "alias eth0 3c515"  and "options 3c515 debug=1
io=0x280 irq=12".  with the eth0 adapter loading on bootup.  but it always
fails, no matter the hardware settings.  in fact, bootup returns that "Delaying
eth0 initialization."...a message from ifup via ifconfig.

i have also tried "insmod 3c515.o" and that always returns "0 3c515 cards
found"  and "3c515.0. init_module: Device or resource busy"

so i can not seem to find the problem and debug it out.  can you please pass
along some suggestions.  thank you in advance and have a nice day.

lucas

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:35:47 -0700

> These are good but the write perfomance on RAID 5 is a bit sucky and
> the read is not too hot either. You really need to do your homework
> first.

  Are you sure?   I have a RAID 5 array sitting under my desk, consisting of
only 4 drives (and one of those is a hot spare), and those are only 9 gigs.
Not the latest, greatest by any means.  Yesterday I copied a few gigs from
an IDE drive to the RAID array under Linux, and even though the IDE drive
was at full speed reading, the RAID array was only active about 1/2 of the
time writing.  If it will *write* twice as fast as my IDE drive can *read*,
that's pretty fast.

   Granted, it's not as fast as simple striping, but you make it sound like
it's going to be abysmally slow, which it won't.  It should still be faster
than a single SCSI drive, and simply blow away anything from IDE.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:38:41 -0700

> this is rather peculiar, given that it's trivial to knock together
> an IDE system (at $5/GB) that sustains 90 MB/s.  while it's certainly
> not difficult to accomplish this with SCSI, it will cost 4x as much.

  Try having 5 or 6 programs access the IDE system at once.  Compare to the
same under a SCSI system.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:40:03 -0700

> this is a silly old wives tale.  there's nothing "concurrency-challenged"
> about IDE: all OS's do queue sorting.

  I won't get into arguing about symantics, but I've used IDE and SCSI in
areas where there are multiple programs accessing the disk at once.  SCSI
blows away IDE in terms of responsiveness and throughput.  That's all I need
to know.

steve

------------------------------

From: "julius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Booting Raid 1 or 5
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:14:38 -0000

Hi,

On a system with hardware RAID level 5, booting Linux on RAID devices, if
one drive fails, does the system boot, before replacing the drive? (not
hotswap)

And if instead of RAID level 5 we have a level 1 (mirroring)? Does the
system boot if one drive fails, before replacing the drive?

Does the rebuild, after replacing a drive, allows booting the system w/o
problems? In both levels?

Thank you for your time!

------------------------------

From: Matthew Paterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I load a module at start up?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:23:56 +0000

You may have to reference modprobe, as in "/usr/sbin/modprobe/", thats
what i have to do, or else modprobe doesnt run.

Matt

------------------------------

From: PAUL NIELSEN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's a good AGP 1x video card?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:06:27 -0800

I've had good luck with m`Mirage cards as they provide Linux support.  see
http://www.mirage-mmc.com
Paul

------------------------------

From: Matthew Paterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo3, OpenGL and Half-Life
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:27:41 +0000

Try getting a dedicated Voodoo3 xfree86 server, i think they are
avilable, check www.tucows.com, that might work, but im not sure, but
its worth a go.

Matt

From: Christian Roessner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com 900B-combo
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:37:13 +0100

It is some days ago, I know that. I use the 3Com 900b COMBO, too. You need
the 3c59x driver. See also
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

There you get answers on how to tell the kernel which Port you want to use.

Example modules.conf:

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x options=0 # 10BaseT

Christian

------------------------------

From: Matthew Paterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:47:36 +0000

Get, and run kernel 2.4, it has support for Voodoo3 cards.

Matt

------------------------------

From: "TFH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I install Redhatt 7.0 on an IBM rs/6000 7025 F3 ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:47:41 GMT

Newbie in this case, is it possible and what version to use ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:24:39 +0000

In article <97gfhp$4h5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Jonathan Buzzard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <97e893$6no$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>
>>> I'm in the market for disk space of this magnitude at the moment as
>>> well.  While the above statement used to be the case, I have heard
>>> a number of *very* informed opinions in support of IDE-SCSI RAID
>>> towers, such as the ones at www.zero-d.com.  It's a tower/rack-mount
>>> full of IDE disks that'll do RAID 0, 1, or 5 (possibly 10, I don't
>>> recall at the moment).  They have hot swappable drives, power supplies
>>> and fans.  Finally, they connect to the host via a SCSI (typically UW or
>>> U2W) connection, so are OS independent.
>
>> These are good but the write perfomance on RAID 5 is a bit sucky and
>> the read is not too hot either. You really need to do your homework
>> first.
>
> Ahem.  I've been doing lots of homework on this.  The original poster
> never stated blazing performance as a requirement.  I am quite aware
> that IDE is not going to read/write as fast as SCSI.  Speed is not
> always a requirement.  In my case, I need a pretty decent sized array
> (.5TB), but all users will be accessing it via NFS on a 100 Mbit network.
> The network is far more likely to be the bottleneck than is the array.
> And I don't have ~$15K to spend on a SCSI RAID of that size, nor do I
> need to.

I know, I was just saying you need to do your homework before making
a purchasing decision. No point spending a pile of money if the solution
is not upto the job.

>> Yep, but the IDE arrays don't go as fast as the SCSI ones and the
>> zero-d website says as much.
>
> Again, speed isn't always a requirement.  For big arrays where speed
> isn't critical, IDE/IDE-SCSI RAID are very viable options.

Again I know, having built/configured systems with large IDE RAID
systems myself.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

------------------------------

From: "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: Need help for soundblaster live card on redhat linux 6.2
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:20:38 +1100

Hi all

I am having some problems with SoundBlaster live sound
card on redhat Linux 6.2 running kernel 2.2.14-6.1.1. It is
using the emu10k1.o diver.

My problem is that the card can play .wav files very clearly and
cleanly, but when I try to play raw mu-law files it plays them with a
lot of distortion. Yet I have played the same audio files (raw mu-law)
on a windows PC and it plays fine, so the audio file is not the problem.

I have tried using the sndconfig utility and it plays an audio
message and again it is distorted. As I mentioned above, the audio
that I have assigned to system functions (like when you delete a file, etc)
play without any distortion.

Can anyone offer any help. I have had previous experience with SCO, BSD
& AIX Unix, but I am relatively new to the Linux scene.

Thanks in advance.
---
Edward Mifsud                   Bureau of Meteorology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       4th floor, 150 Lonsdale St
                                              Melbourne  vic  3000
Tel: 03 9669 4118                 AUSTRALIA
Fax: 03 96694128

From: iQXth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FastTrak100 - accessing and booting from RAID 0 array
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:47:53 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:26:23 +0100, "Werner Paukert"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ps.: Lilo Problem for big Hd´s
>       You have to edit to lilo.conf in the second line :  lba32  ( with
> lba32 the 1024 cylinder problem is then killed)
>        bring lilo mbr to /dev/sda

Yes, thanks.

I can do everything up until the edit 'lilo.conf' part.

How do I edit the file when the system won't boot to Linux. The boot
disk that was made during the installation is worthless. It gives an
error of '0x10'. I've never gotten a Red Hat Linux boot disk to work
for me, by the way.

The installation CD has a 'rescue' feature. But I can't do much with
it, let alone edit a file and run 'lilo'.

After editing the file, I need to apply the changes by running 'lilo'.
What I need to know is how to make the changes to '/etc/lilo.conf'...

Thanks for your help so far..!

--- iQXth ---
Please respond to this thread
or post with 'ulvfboqj' in the
subject to get my attention.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Grayson)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: VIA IDE problems (was Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:57:18 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:15:27 +0000, Tony Houghton made me spill my beer when saying:

>I keep hearing of problems with VIA IDE, in particular that enabling DMA
>can cause corruption (only with kernel 2.4 though I think). Is this only
>for ATA100 or can VIA motherboards safely be used with ATA33 with DMA?

My system had severe problems with DMA enabled when using a 2.2.18
kernel patched with the then current IDE driver (as provided with Debian).
With a simillarly patched 2.2.17 kernel there wasn't a problem. I'm wary
of running 2.4.x until I can guarantee that the problem is resolved - I
don't want to have to reinstall yet again.

I'm running a fairly low spec 82C586 based system, only capable of running
at ATA33, although my drive (a WD205AA) is capable of ATA66.

--
Paul Grayson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Knock, knock, knocking on the Conference Door.

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:04:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No, some will agree. And there is plenty wrong with what he said. For

I should have said "some, " I agree.

> one thing, it's only relevant to relatively lazy people who don't care
> about the condition of their disk, its recoverability, or a mound of
> other considerations that are discussed in the HOWTO ...

Casual use does not equal laziness.  These issues are only relevant when
the situation calls for it.  When you can do a clean install in less than
a half hour these days, and that's all that matters to you, then these
things usual aren't issues.

>> that HOWTO is intended for servers and multi-user systems, not casual

> Nonsense. It tells you about the issues.

Yes, it tells you about the issues.  I'm not arguing that.  I'm arguing
the relevance to home users who like to keep up on the latest software
and hardware drivers and only have to worry about themselves, not a mess
of other users.

> Nonsense nonsense nonsense. I suppose I don't have the time and effort
> to partition my debian slackware suse and redhat machines, eh? I mean,
> I only have about a couple of hundred of them ...

But the argument is for home users who usually have one box.

> EExcept that /var will be on your /root and/or /home partition, which
> is an error of truly monumental proportions in either case.

Maybe I should have put more emphasis on the "newbie" although I hate the
associated stigma(s).  How many will know what to do when partitions are
truly fscked?  And even then, how many will pass up a super-easy clean
install?

> Which is not the situation EVER in a multitasking o/s. Don't try and
> apply dos/windows logic. You are NOT the only user on your disk, even
> if you are the only user in your house.

I can see this if your arguments included things like search time and disk
spanning, but the argument assumes one, maybe two, harddisks where speed
is dictated by your hardware -- IDE/SCSI, RPM, etc -- and are increasingly
less of a problem.

>> Unless you actually take the time to perform backups and carry out true

> Like everyone.

You mean to tell me you think everyone (read "home users") routinely backs
up everything and not just what's most precious (e.g. love letters and MP3s)?
You've got to be kidding.  If that were true, I'd think these newsgroups
would have far fewer posts.  This is not a slam on my fellow users, but I'm
trying to be realistic.

> Why would they back up anything else except that and /etc and parts of /var?
> I don't! The rest just comes from a distro, which is replacable. This
> is not the problem. The problem is when your machine breaks, which it
> will do at frequencies of about once every three months to once every
> two years, depending on luck or circumstance.

But you're just proving my point.  Why back up anything other than that?
Hence, why partition anything beyond that?  I admit I didn't originally
include /var as a seperate partition, but OK, sure (/etc notwithstanding
for reasons we both know -- /etc partition bad, bad!).

If any other sorts of partitions such as /usr get hosed and you're going
to replace via the distro., then why have many partitions in this setting?
Please point out what I'm overlooking (<excuse>my eyes are glazed over from a
long day</excuse>).  Where is the problem given this specific user setting?

> Backup questions are orthogonal. Look .. the issue is whether you think
> that having rooms in your house is a good thing or not. Sure, it saves
> all kinds of thinking and planning if you don't have internal walls,
> and it avoids the problem of not being able to fit the sofa in the
> small room. But do you really want to cook in the living room? If not,
> why not? What's wrong with washing your clothes in the bedroom?

OK, granted, but IMO, we're not talking about the stable, functional, high
usage home that we want to take good care of.  We're talking about the vacation
home that gets used when you have free time.  Unless you've got money to burn,
that one room shack does just fine.  Little maintenance, no worries, gets the
job done, and is functional for it's primary purpose given the time spent there.

> So what? Has the person read them? Has he read the howto? If not, he is
> ignorant of the issues involved.

In that case, yes.  But beyond that, the need is arguable.

To me, backups serve two purposes: (1) save unreplaceable data, and (2) cut
way down on restoration time in the event of data corruption or loss.  We
take care of #1 by backing up /home, /etc and maybe /var.  #2 is taken care
of via the multitudes of slick, fast and easy installations care of our vast
selection of distros.  Now, couple on the partition argument at hand.  Your
precious data in /home, /etc, and /var are isolated from the corruption of
other partitions (or partition in my view).  You said yourself the rest is
taken care of by the distro.  Hence, why break up what's left?  Remember, I'm
not talking about servers and multi-user (as in humans, not daemons and other
processes) systems; I'm concentrating on Joe Linux.

Phew!  Have I gone completely OT on this thread or what?  I hope I didn't make
the poster who started this thread regret it :-)

Greg

-Aside from our differing opinions, I appreciate your civility.  After I posted
 yesterday, I realized I could have been nicer.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ACPI and SMP
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:05:42 GMT

Is ACPI SMP-safe?  If so, is it in Linux kernel v2.4.x?  And if that's
so, is it worth it?

TIA,

Greg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:09:58 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ed wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am having some problems with SoundBlaster live sound
> card on redhat Linux 6.2 running kernel 2.2.14-6.1.1. It is
> using the emu10k1.o diver.
>
> My problem is that the card can play .wav files very clearly and
> cleanly, but when I try to play raw mu-law files it plays them with a
> lot of distortion. Yet I have played the same audio files (raw mu-law)
> on a windows PC and it plays fine, so the audio file is not the problem.
>
> I have tried using the sndconfig utility and it plays an audio
> message and again it is distorted. As I mentioned above, the audio
> that I have assigned to system functions (like when you delete a file, etc)
> play without any distortion.
>
> Can anyone offer any help. I have had previous experience with SCO, BSD
> & AIX Unix, but I am relatively new to the Linux scene.

Go to http://opensource.creative.com, try the latest cvs. Be sure your
kernel source is installed and also configured to match your current
system, since this alters some of the headers. If you still have
problems, go to the devel mailing list that is also at the above URL,
describe the problem and your hardware when doing so. The driver and
mixer support changes a lot.