  Re: Can't connect to my ISP yet, here's the pppd-output... (DonJr)

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 20:05:49 -0700
From: CB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron's and SMP Performance Problems

http://www.qdi.ca/release/release990604.htm

A careful reading of the description of this device suggests that it
will only work on the particular motherboard shown.  It does look
interesting, but I suspect Abit's BP6 board will be better.  I believe
the BX chipset can only use two processors, the GX though, can use at
least 4.  It seems it would be possible to design an adapter like the
one shown that would plug into slot 2 - and use 4 processors on a dual
board.  It might even be possible to put additional cache and a
controller on the adapter - probably the engineering costs and low
market potential will mean this will not be tried...

CB

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach drivers
Date: 06 Jun 1999 21:58:04 -0700

"rcstuckey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where can I find Linux drivers for Turtle Beach original Tropez & Tahiti
> soundcards ?   Thanks

There appears to be some support in the OpenSound drivers:

  www.opensound.com
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi
Subject: Re: Panasonic CD Recorder CW-7502-B
From: Arcady Genkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:37:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B) writes:

> I have a 7502B with an Advansys ABP940UW and it work great under Redhat or
> Mandrake Linux using X-cdroast.

May I ask you which kernel you are using?

Thanks!

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate

------------------------------

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2U servers
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 04:38:11 GMT

Has anyone had good experiences with "off the shelf" 2U rackmount servers
and Redhat Linux?  I've been using the Compaq 1850R, but those just aren't
dense enough (3RU).  I've been looking at the HP LPR, but it only supports
2 hot swap drives (making a minimal 3 drive RAID 5 array impossible).  I've
also looked at the 2U server by VAResearch.  It seems nice, but also doesn't
have space for 3 hot-swap drives.  My minimal config is something like:

2 x PIII-450
256mb ECC SDRAM
hardware RAID controller (level 5)
3 x hotswap fast/wide/ultra 7200rpm drives (RAID5)
100BT ether
usable integrated SVGA

Occasionally, I also have to stash NT boxes at our datacenter so something
that's friendly with both Redhat 6.0 and NT4 would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping I don't have to
roll my own.

Christopher Mauritz

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:19:37 -1000
From: Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link 220 ISA PNP NIC

KalDar wrote:

> I have RH 5.2 and am trying to install a d-link 220 ISA pnp NIC.  I have it
> set for IRQ 5 and io 320.  When I run setup, none of the selections RH gives
> me (D-Link or NE2000 compatible) will work.  Anyone get one of these cards
> to work?

Hi~

Do the following.  Type:

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

Edit /etc/isapnp.conf by uncommenting the two lines that refer to your
io and irq.  "man isapnp.conf" for more info.  Then add the following
lines to /etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 8390
alias eth0 ne
        options ne io=240 irq=3  # Enter your own values

Reboot.  Type "dmesg" and look for several lines refering to eth0 and
isapnp devices being configured.  Also type "ifconfig", lo and eth0
should be listed.  Let me know if this helps.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: Greg Retkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: DLT4000: mt-st can't fsf/bsf
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:39:49 +0000

Hello All,
  We recently obtained a pair of DLT 4000's for system backups. We are
running into problems and was wondering if anyone else had experienced
this. When we try to move the location of the tape in relation to
end-of-file markers the (mt) command immediately returns (as if
sucessfull) and the tape moves nowhere. (i.e. mt fsf 1, mt bsf 2,
etc..). The tape can rewind, and forward to end of data (mt eod).
Backups and restores work properly... but I can't move it in relation to
file markers.

Using backup and restore we've been able to write multiple files to the
disk. For example:

/sbin/dump 0f /dev/nst0 /
/sbin/dump 0f /dev/nst0 /home
...then...
mt rewind
/sbin/restore Cf /dev/nst0
...verifies /...
/sbin/restore Cf /dev/nst0
...verifies /home

* however *
mt rewind
/sbin/restore Cf /dev/nst0
...verifies /...
mt rewind;mt fsf 1
/sbin/restore Cf /dev/nst0
...verifies /...

We've been able to access multiple files by 'dd'ing out to dev null
untill we reach the file we need, but this is much less than optimal.
* Example (to interactively restore /home) *
mt rewind
dd if=/dev/nst0 >/dev/null
...wait a long time, till it reaches end of first file...
/sbin/restore if /dev/nst0

I've looked at the 'st' code in the kernel and it appears to be doing
the right thing (The documentation that came with the tape drives detail
the SCSI commands to manipulate the drive). If anyone's got further
information it would be greatly appreciated.

-- Greg

"And even at this late date -- 30 years after a sun-bronzed Al Gore,
driving a team of plow horses, dug a furrow for the first T1 line --
some
of the loopiest insinuations being thrown about in the aftermath
concerned
that multibillion-dollar menace, the Internet." James Poniewozik,
Salon.com

------------------------------

From: Ken Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's ECC? (was: Is it possible to build a sub-$500 Linux machine)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 00:51:25 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, dsfox@c.? writes
>With parity a checksum bit on
>the eight bits is formed, while with ECC four bytes of memory are
>treated together, and the checksum is a more complex four bit quantity
>that can tell you the location of any single bit error and whether
>there is a two bit error.

My somewhat hazy memories of Hamming codes suggest that 32 data bits
need 6 bits for the syndrome, since, as you point out, the error may be
in the Hamming bits.  My rather clearer memories of the Cray 1A suggest
that the best way to use 9 bit memories would be 8 wide, using 72 bits
to hold 64 data bits (Cray RAM was on 1 bit wide chips though).  You
then have 8 Hamming bits, which is sufficient space, in principle, to
point to any of the 72 and also detect (though not correct) 2 bit
errors.  You do need a serious problem, like long running number
crunching jobs, to make this worthwhile, as the logic is a good deal
more complicated than parity on 9 bits, and takes some time, so that for
a given technology the memory runs slower.

--
Ken Moore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TonyK Lindstroom)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi
Subject: Re: Panasonic 7502 CDR + Qlogic SCSI-2 Cant get working
Date: 7 Jun 1999 07:07:31 GMT

In article <7je8tb$1lm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Nanook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm really tired of booting into Win every time I have to burn a cd.
>
> My CDR drive is listed among supported both at cdrecord and cdrdao
> webpages, and I'm using the most recent versions of these programs.
>
> With both programs I get the same problem -- a SCSI error just when I
> start burining a disk. I suspect that it writes TOC, and then, just when
> the actual data is supposed to be written, it gives me "SCSI retryable
> error" message.

        I have been using the 7502B for a long time, but I have
        had to burn with only 2x. It has always failed when
        trying the 4x-mode. I use the 2.0.36-kernel and
        a Adaptec 1542 ISA scsi-card.

--
[Quanti partiti lo pensate sareste benvenuti ora  ]
[che la mia faccia intera è fare scorrere di? R.B.]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Subject: Re: parallel port on PS/2?
Date: 1 Jun 1999 13:10:02 GMT

"André Malafaya Baptista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Isn't it on 0h3BC?
>Normal PCs have it on 0h378.

unlikely. /proc/ioports looks as follows:

brutus 64% /tmp>cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-0060 : system control port B (MCA)
0080-008f : dma page reg
0090-0090 : arbitration (MCA)
0091-0091 : card Select Feedback (MCA)
0092-0092 : system Control port A (MCA)
0094-0094 : system board setup (MCA)
0096-0097 : POS (MCA) 00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2 00f0-00ff : fpu
0100-0107 : POS (MCA) 0300-0307 : 3c523
03b0-03bf : ega
03f8-03ff : serial(auto) 3510-3513 : ed

so 03bc seems to be already taken by the graphics adaptor (I thought it
was vga, not ega, BTW).
--
Georg Schwarz ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP 2.6ui)
Institut für Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi

------------------------------

From: A.W.Lap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stealth II s220
Date: 7 Jun 1999 07:31:21 GMT

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "David S. Stephenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Exabyte Systems with Linux?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:06:08 +0200

has anyone got experience with using an Exabyte Eliant
or Mammoth with a PC running Linux?
I've been using an Exabyte 8200 successfully for several years,
but now I need to store more data faster.
--
David S. Stephenson                             FON +49-89-2180-7649
Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy               FAX +49-89-2180-7640

------------------------------

From: Nathalie ROUX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lex.h and yacc.h
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 07:44:41 +0200

Hello, my name is Nathalie and I am a beginner with LINUX.

I was anable to find an equivalent of th UNIX lex.h and yacc.h .
Does anybody knows something about it?

Thanks.
Nath

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Mark)
Subject: SMP and sig 11 -- more likely?  (please help!)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 04:48:44 GMT

Recently, I added a second CPU to my linux PC.  Now I've got 2 166 MHz
MMX Pentiums.  I'm running kernel version 2.0.34.

If I'm not using the system much, it'll go days and days and days without
any problems.  But if I'm using it heavily, about once every 3-4 hours
the X server will cut out on signal 11.  Running an mp3 player constantly
increases the likelihood that this will happen.

>From what I remember, this indicates a memory fault.

My question is, will upgrading the kernel to 2.2 help out?  Also,
anecdotally I don't seem to remember as many incidents when I have the
case off.  I have a large fan blowing in, right over the CPUs.  I have two
exhaust fans at the back, one in the power supply and one more above it.
One CPU has an intel-attached fan, and the other has a peltier unit with
heat sink and fan.  I can't imagine that heat is a problem, but I don't
have any kind of thermal monitoring on the motherboard (Tyan Tomcat IIID).

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Mark

From: Tero Niemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP Atapi 100 LS 120
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:55:48 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > But I can't do anything with it, I cannot mount it or use fdisk with
> > that device. Has anyone any ideas?

> Anyhoo, you should probably try 'mount -t vfat /dev/hdb4 /mnt/zip', with the
> necessary changes made for your system.  Aside from that, as long as IDE
> floppy support is built into the kernel (is that even required), it should
> work dandily (well).

    I got mount: /dev/hdb4 is not a valid block device

------------------------------

From: DonJr <donjr@[127.0.0.1]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Can't connect to my ISP yet, here's the pppd-output...
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:58:36 -0400

Melle wrote:

> Hi,
> it's me again and the problem is still alive ... I can't connect to my ISP
> running RH5.2.
> But I got the idea of posting the pppd-output, maybe one of you out there
> can do something with it to help me ;-)) It would be great.
>
> Here it is:
> -------------------
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: Using interface ppp0
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Modem hangup
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Connection terminated.
> Jun  4 19:19:45 PC pppd[456]: Exit.
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: Using interface ppp0
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Modem hangup
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Connection terminated.
> Jun  4 19:21:48 PC pppd[464]: Exit.
> -------------
>
> I know my provider is using CHAP authentification and that I have to add
> username + password to the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, but using kppp it tells me
> (I have the German version, the English output may differ):
>
>         modem ready
>         dialing <number>
>         network login
>
> Then (after some 30 seconds) it hangs up the modem. But: I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!
> Please help me, thanx.
>
>                 Melle

Basicaly put "kppp" is not written for the Red Hat Dastro and will not
work without major configuration changes.

The easiest way I've found to setup pppd under RH 5.2 or RH 6.0 is:
  # linuxconf   { either under X or text mode take you pick}
     - Networking
       - Client tasks
          Select PPP/SLIP/PLIP
            Click the ADD button
             Make sure PPP is selected
              Click the Accept button
                Fill in the following fields
                  Phone Number
                  Modem Port
                  Click the use PAP check button if using pap
                    { Or try PAP even if the ISP says use CHAP
                      Because the may support it for there
                      MS-Windows users. And Not realize that pppd
                      under Linux can do the same thing.
                    }
                  Login Name
                  Password
              Click the Customize button
                Select Allow any user (de)activate the interface
                Study the other pages
           Click the Accept button
         Click the quit button on the PPP/SLIP/PLIP page
         Select Name server specification (DNS)
           Fill in the Name Server Information asked by this page.
         Click the Accept button
      Click the Quit button
      Press enter on the next screen to apply the updates.

Now at the command prompt
  $ /sbin/ifup ppp0        will bring up the connection
  $ /sbin/ifdown ppp0      will bring down the connection

Under X simplily load the program "usernet" is a simple to use one to
get you started, though there are other choices out there.

RedHat 5.2 and 6.0 versions of the Linux Dastro's are simple enough,
even a MicroS*t user should be able to set it up.
 It's a whole lot simpler then MS-Widows to install and setup.

--
  Don E. Groves, Jr.

  I'll add a witty saying here later.
  Such as:
   Give a man a fish and he will eat now.
   Teach him to fish and he will ........
    ... drink beer by to pond all day with his new friends.