Linux-Hardware Digest #439, Volume #10            Tue, 8 Jun 99 08:13:21 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Setup An Internal Modem.. (David C)
  Is ATI Xpert 99 AGP 8Mb supported with Linux 6.0? (Momcilo Corovic)
  Viper V770 and hanging LILO... ("Berend Ozceri")
  Linux on closed platforms? (Dave)
  Re: Cannot setting the Modem on Linux Redhat 6.0? ("Jimmy Lam")
  Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350 (Eric Wick)
  Which modem PCI 56000 ? ("Paul J., LE GENIAL")
  What tape drives over 50 GB does Linux support? ("Martin Adler")
  Re: NICs needed badly (Tim Moore)
  ES1938 configuration ("yang kun")
  Modem Zoom 2919 doesn't work ... ("Pigou")
  M$ Sidewinder Gamepad (Joshua Martin)
  Re: HP DeskJet 820Cxi and PCI modem (Dxx-Richard_T_Myers(00))
  [Q]Compile Problem with K6??? ("Cho, Hyon-Hyok")
  Re: magneto optical drive (Swietanowski Artur)
  RedHat 6.0 + Wacom Intuos pad (Tenkei)
  DVD-ROM worked with RH5.2, but not 6.0. HELP!! (Richard Hughes)
  Re: 3Com 3CXEM556 and pppd: working but sloooooow... ("The Punisher")
  Re: SupraExpress 56i modem driver? ("Faust")
  Re: Best AGP Card for Linux / XFree86 [was Re: AGP only at 8bpp?!] ("David R.
Bergstein")
  Re: 2.2.5-15 kernel eats memory! ("Jürgen Pfann")
  Re: Linux on closed platforms? ("Selious")
  Re: NICs needed badly ("Will Elmes")
  Re: Riva TNT Drivers for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NICs needed badly (Jim Henderson)

From: David C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setup An Internal Modem..
Date: 07 Jun 1999 23:57:13 -0400

"Mr Kuay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i am a freshie in Linux os.
> i own an internal modem, i.e. Acer Magic.
> is Acer Magic compatible with Linux?
> can somebody kindly tell me the way to setup an internal modem?

A "winmodem" (most PCI modems are winmodems) will not work with Linux.
They will not operate without proprietary software that the hardware
manufacturers only develop for Windows.

A real modem card (all ISA modems are, most PCI modems are not), on the
other hand, looks just like a serial port.  Linux will think it's
another serial port, and you should configure it appropriately.

I don't know what kind of modem an Acer Magic is, but if it's a PCI
modem, odds are that it's a winmodem and won't work at all with Linux.
I recommend removing it and getting a real modem (either an ISA-based
internal or an external.)

-- David

------------------------------

From: Momcilo Corovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is ATI Xpert 99 AGP 8Mb supported with Linux 6.0?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:03:37 GMT

Hello,

I would appreciate your help on this matter:
My Graphic card is ATI Xpert 99 AGP 8Mb SDRAM ATI
with ATI Rage 128 VR AGP.
This card is not recognized by the redhat Linux 5.2.
I have tried to configure it manually but it did not work.

Is this graphic card supported with the Linux 6.0?

Thank you very much,
Momcilo

------------------------------

From: "Berend Ozceri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Viper V770 and hanging LILO...
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 99 22:43:15 PDT

I just swapped out the Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro graphics card in my Linux box
(based on a Micro-star MS-5169 Aladdin 5 motherboard) and replaced it with a
Diamond Viper V770 (AGP version) and now LILO hangs solid after printing the
first two letters of the prompt (i.e. it prints "LI"). The rescue disk also
hangs at the same point, without printing anything.

I had Windows 95 installed on a different drive and was able to change the boot
order in the BIOS to directly boot that and it seems to be working fine with
the Viper V770. It installed the drivers, X-Plane works, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Berend

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Linux on closed platforms?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:35:05 -0500

==============F113EFD63E886231934A0520

I work for a company that develops proprietary systems in a highly
competitive industry.  Our systems contain intellectual property either
developed by us or licensed from others.  In addition, much of this
intellectual property is under strict export control.  In summary, our
systems are not likely to become open anytime in the near future.

We have used numerous commercial operating systems (some more
$commercial$ than others).  I would like nothing better than to use
Linux in the next product, but I'm having trouble reconciling the terms
of the GPL with my company's interests.

Please understand that my interest is not to exploit the free software
community but to support it as best I can by promoting it through my
company's products.  We are in the business of selling systems, not
software applications, and the savings of moving to a free but
unsupported operating system is basically a wash (personal opinions
aside).

Is there a mechanism in place that allows the use of GPL software
(namely Linux) in such a system?  I'm looking for a condoned approach,
not loopholes.  I have nothing against delivering the source code for
the operating system, but practically all modifications, applications,
and drivers we create will be confidential for the reasons mentioned
above and cannot be included in the source distribution.

Much appreciated.

-Dave

==============F113EFD63E886231934A0520

begin:vcard
n:Causey;Dave
tel;home:(972) 420-1932
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Dave Causey
end:vcard

From: "Jimmy Lam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Cannot setting the Modem on Linux Redhat 6.0?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:37:06 +0800

Try the following :

Under the X-Windows, fire up the Control Panel and configue the modem
setting (says Com1) in your case. Go to network setting and enable the PPP
port.

Hope this can help.

Jimmy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350
Date: 8 Jun 1999 08:30:03 GMT

In article <7jh1e3$ttg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Any suggestions on a decent mobo for my K6-2? I'm getting a 350 and a
>450 to build 2 systems.

The 350 works fine on Soyo 5EHM with 100FSB and 1Meg of L2-Cache. CT-Magazine
has tested the K6-2 400 as well.

Bye
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Paul J., LE GENIAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which modem PCI 56000 ?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:38:37 +0200

New to linux, I want to replace my old modem by a new 56000 PCI model
(voice+fax+modem). What is the best choice as there is always a Windows
driver but hard to find which models are supported by Linux ? I have the
Redhat 5.2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul J., LE GENIAL (Belgium)
e-mail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
web : http://www.bigfoot.com/~HORTUS.Consult/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: "Martin Adler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What tape drives over 50 GB does Linux support?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 08:59:53 +0200

I am using 2.2.9 and wondering if kde has the feature of controlling a robot
or if it is just able to use one tape drive?

thanx for the advise,

Martin Adler

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 01:46:11 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NICs needed badly

Vince wrote:

> Hello, I am in desperate need for 10 NICs for my RedHat Linux 5.2 boxes.
>
> I have read the http://www.redhat.com/hardware page so please don't tell
> me to look there.

http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/52/rh52-hardware-intel-12.html

What do you think we use to pick?
--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "yang kun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ES1938 configuration
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:50:21 +0800

Hello:
I have ES1938 sound card,the resource under Win98 is:
PCI AudioDrive
IRQ=5
It have four Input/Output address.

Dos Emulator:
DMA=01
it has two address.
What should I do to config it under Linux RedHat 6.0(it can't compatiable
with SB)

--
Yang Kun
Pager:020-83187788-38877

------------------------------

From: "Pigou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Zoom 2919 doesn't work ...
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:16:24 GMT

Hi Everyboby !!!

I am newbie so I have many problems with Linux (RH 6.0).
One of them is with internal modem Zoom 2919 (ISA PnP).

I used isapnp ( pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf then isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf ) but
it didn't set up my modem.
minicom hangs immediately after started but if i run minicom under kde it
works but doesn't see my modem ..
Does anybody use this modem with Linux ??? If yes - how i should configure
port and irq for my modem ...

Piotr P.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M$ Sidewinder Gamepad
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 02:22:56 -0700

I am having some problems getting my sidewinder gamepad to work under
linux.
Here is my setup:

SoundCard: SoundBlaster PCI 128
SoundCardDriver: Alsa 0.3.0-pre3
Kernel: 2.2.7
Distro: Redhat 6.0

So far here is what is happening
I compiled support for the joystick into the kernel
I can insert the joystick module but when i try to insert the sidewinder
module i get this error:
/lib/modules/2.2.7/misc/joy-sidewinder.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy

After i got this message i rebooted just for the hell of it to see if
something was actually using it but it didnt work...

I tried reverting back to the oss sound driver from the kernel but it
had the same effect.

I also downloaded the joystick package (which also didnt work) from
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
--Joshua Martin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dxx-Richard_T_Myers(0)0)
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 820Cxi and PCI modem
Date: 8 Jun 1999 09:18:20 GMT

Jarno Saarto ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:     Hi,

: I have HP DJ 820 series printer which I havent managed to setup under RH
: 6 yet. I have consulted the PPA www-page, from where I got a program
: called pbm2ppa. I still can't print. When I print ascii file from
: command prompt the print fails when about 80% of page has been printed.
: PS printing doesn't work at all. Can anyone help?

I have an HP 820Cse, and it is a win printer. I understand that it
is normal for it to work only partially with Linux, although I haven't
tried it. Blame Bill G.

best wishes,
--
richard myers

From: "Cho, Hyon-Hyok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q]Compile Problem with K6???
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:59:30 +0900

Hi, I want to get a K6-2-400Mhz chip.
But I don't know about K6 , please help me...
1. Is there any problem when compile a program with C compiler?
2. Is there any problem when install rdbms? like oracle, informix......

Oh, please help me~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: magneto optical drive
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:12:40 +0200

Marc Mutz wrote:

> waco wrote:
> >
> > I have a Sony SMO-C301-00 magneto optical drive SCSI.  I'd like to use
> > it in Linux...can someone tell me how?
> If you have SCSI disks algready running then:
> shutdown, connect MO, boot, insert MO-disk, mount, done

Almost. A filesystem would be good to have.

The steps would be:
(1) formatting the disk:
   (a) insert disk,
   (b) if desireable, partition the disk (using any of the fdisk
       tools you like),
   (c) if partitioned, make a filesystem on each partition,
       (man mkfs), otherwise, make filesystem on the whole disk,
       which is what I do with my 640MB Fujitsu disks,
(2) normal work:
   (a) insert formatted disk with a filesystem,
   (b) mount & use happily,
   (c) unmount and eject.

A comment on (1b):
you may need a patched fdisk to support sector size other than 512B.

A comment on (1b-c):
Assuming your MO disk is /dev/sdc, then you would partition /dev/sdc
and then make filesystems on /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdc2 etc. If you don't
partition, you make a filesystem directly on /dev/sdc. A warning may
appear, which will tell you, that you're about to make a filesystem
on the whole drive. Ignore warning, if this is what you want.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Tenkei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.0 + Wacom Intuos pad
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:19:55 +0200

Hey people,

I've just installed Redhat 6.0, and think it's a great desktop
environment. Now if only i could get my intuos pad to work =)
I'm kinda new to linux, so if anyone could walk me through
installing/compiling the appropriate drivers or point me to a detailed
HOWTO, i'd be grateful

cheers,
--
Gueorgui "Tenkei" Tcherednitchenko

Graphics Artist / Web Designer
http://www.designanarchy.nu

(Remove SPAM==BAD. from the reply to address)

------------------------------

From: Richard Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVD-ROM worked with RH5.2, but not 6.0. HELP!!
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 07:29:18 GMT

I recently installed RedHat 6.0 on my system (acutally, Linux-Mandrake). I have
a 3rd gen Sony DVD-ROM that used to work as an ATAPI CD-ROM in RH 5.2, but it
no longer works in RH6.0. I get the error "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block
device". I have all the filesystems I should need compiled into my kernel
(2.2.9). I used the DVD-ROM to perform the install, and it stopped working as
soon as the kernel booted for the first time. I'd really like to be able to
access my CD's again. If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

------------------------------

From: "The Punisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.periphs.pcmcia,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 3Com 3CXEM556 and pppd: working but sloooooow...
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:15:04 +0200

How can I do this PcCard work in my Laptop.
I give up.
I'm new in Linux .

David Hinds escribió en mensaje <7j95lh$9fb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Faust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SupraExpress 56i modem driver?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 06:04:38 -0400

I am presently running the Diamond SupraExpress 56 i SP (speaker phone)
under both Win98 and Linux RH5.2.  Many of Diamonds modems will not work
with Linux, but the SupraExpress will. It took me several weeks of tinkering
with settings and IRQs. I suggest that you start under Windows to see what
the settings are. Write everything down. Then go into minicom and see if you
can get any response with AT commands. Mine worked very slowly and I
eventually tracked it down to an IRQ problem that was easy to fix with
"seterial."  Do as much reading as you can. When you get the modem to work,
it still might need some tinkering to actually get it to connect to your
ISP. Don't give up; it's worth it in the long-run. The only reason  I boot
to Win98 at all now is because the wife needs WinBlows to connect to her
work computer. Soon she'll have her company laptop and I'll be free!

Good luck.

Steve

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David R. Bergstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel,linux.dev.kernel,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Best AGP Card for Linux / XFree86 [was Re: AGP only at 8bpp?!]
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 07:04:28 -0400

Thank you for your candid responses.
--
David R. Bergstein
Systems Engineer and Blues Musician - http://www.erols.com/dbergst

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Pfann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 2.2.5-15 kernel eats memory!
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:57:26 +0200

Joe Robertson wrote:

> I don't get this.. I'm running RedHat 6.0 with a minimum of services.. and
> after a reboot, my free memory is only about 24MB(out of 64). A few hours
> later, I have about 1.7MB free, and my swap starts to become active.. I do
> not have many users, nor memory-eating apps.. it all seems to go into
> "cached" memory.. Now cache is nice, but I don't want all my available
> memory allocated to it! And I want to avoid swap usage... can anyone
> help??
>
> Here is output of "free" command:
> Mem:         62860      60688       2172      36268       1668      42632
> -/+ buffers/cache:      16388      46472
> Swap:        24060       1068      22992
>
> Thanks a bunch..
> Joe

Hi Joe,

Last Saturday I bought another 128 MB of RAM for my linux box to get a total
amount of 320 MB.
And, while doing a tape backup or fsck'ing, cache and buffers grow and grow,
leving 4-5 MB free (unused) memory. I even used 20-40 _kB_ swap space !
But you can sleep well again : Things are like they should be...
The linux kernel is flexibly using memory for buffering and caching
(BTW, could someone explain the difference to me ??), if there is a lot
available,
and giving it back to running apps if they need more memory.
While logically moving memory "from one place to another", swap space is used
to fulfill temporary tips.
It's kinda fun to run 'top' while starting a memory consuming app, e. g. a
small
console app I wrote to calculate primes using an array in memory, and to
watch the memory heaps change as needed...

Best regards

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Selious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux on closed platforms?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:13:40 +0200

Well,

if you put the linux code you used as source code with it.....

Caldera does not seem to have these problems either !!

------------------------------

From: "Will Elmes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 06:47:32 GMT

i have two cheapo realtek 8029 chipset cards (they're 10BaseT) working fine
under RH 5.2.  redhat even finds 'em during setup.  most run of the mill
local shops should carry them for ~ $20.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Riva TNT Drivers for Linux
Date: 08 Jun 1999 07:22:53 -0400

Vagelis Blathras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The nice thing is that Quake III will work ok with the release of Xfree 4. I
> have not used it yet, but it seems to me, that on a powerfull system, it will
> work ok even now.

After reading some more documentation more closely, I read that these drivers
are meant for development.  That is, they're made for the purpose of being
able to write Mesa programs, not necessarily to play games.  Fortunately,
though, they're open source, so somebody will eventually optimize them.
That'll be nice.

The funny thing is, I don't even play games, or use my 3d stuff, usually.
I got this card because it had great 2d quality, and sort of got the 3d
stuff on a whim.

Jimmy

reply to jimmy at linuxstart dot com

------------------------------

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:19:08 -0600

I use a RealTek 8139-based card, seems to work fine.  If you want
something mainstream, try 3Com.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.