From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: restoring / from tape
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:15:21 -0700

Hi guys,

I think "why so many people are hate to use dump command to store and
restore data?". In case if you have disk from which you boot - all what
you need to do is only save it as device (/dev/hda) and on restore it
should restore to disk  boot sector/partion/table/all information which was
available on disk at backup time. I beleive that you can do the same with
dd command as well but there is one diffrence and very important. In case
if you need restore only one deleted file with dd it became almost
impossible - you have to restore whole disk. But with dump/restore
procedure you just fire up restore -f /dev/nrst0 and walk through catalog
on tape same way as you do with mormal disk. After that you just mark files
which you need restore and say restore. "restore" will do all job by itself
- it will find files and restore them.

Does it sound good?

Andrey

------------------------------

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i810 XFree86 4.0 Success!
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:13:47 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> AGPIOC_ACQUIRE problems got you down?
>
> After reading everyone's tale of woe, I have great tidings to share.
> Using RedHat 6.2 on a Gateway E-1400 (intel 810 Motherboard)
> I got XFree86 version 4.0.1 to work.
>
> Here's how you too can join in the fun!
>
> Step 1: Ignore everything those bastards at Intel tell you!
>         Do not use their crappy agpgart module!
>                (you may neet to clean up /etc/conf.modules)
>         Do not use their kernel patch!
>         Do not settle for their XFCom Xserver!
>
> Step 2: Install kernel 2.2.16-3, I did it from RedHat's rpms. This
>         has a very groovy agpgart module that actually works!
> Step 3: Install XFree86 4.0.1. I used the binaries and Xinstall.sh.
[other steps snipped]

I just got back from the LinuxWorldExpo.  To my surprise, Intel actually
had a booth dedicated to linux on the i810 motherboards.  The guy at the
booth said that XFree86 4.0.1 is really meant for kernel 2.4 because of
another module besides the agpgart module.  So if you're brave enough to
install 2.3.99latest_version, or 2.4.0pre_latest, then you will get the
best results.

Of course, if you follow the first part of Step 1 above, then this
doesn't apply.

Also, as you noted, it will work on 2.2.16, just supposedly not as well
as 2.4.0.

--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Subject: Re: 36Gb hd as secondary hd
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:54:34 -0500

In article <8ngk5a$ptv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Joao Viegas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Originally, i installed RedHat 6.1 in a Maxtor 36gb hd. Because of several
>inconsistencies, I decided to reinstall
>RedHat in a 1Gb hd (it's also Maxtor but quite old), so that I wouldn't have
>problems with booting (once in a while
>fsck would complain and give me cold sweats).

Your best bet is to start at www.linux-ide.org.

mrc

--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and be right all the time, or not work at all

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ and Modem
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:25:26 -0700

Hi Todd,

you should use setserial command. Read man setserial.

Andrey

From: Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Are there any that will work with the Intel i810?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:22:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just got back from the LinuxWorldExpo.  I was surprised to see that
> Intel had a booth there specifically for linux on the i810
> motherboards.  The guy there recommended XFree86 4.0.1 and the 2.4.0
or
> 2.3.99whatever_the_latest kernel.  Otherwise, the 2.2.16 kernel should
> be OK, although he recommended using the XFCom server from
> support.intel.com with that kernel.
>
> There were two modules that the i810 relies on, one is the agpgart,
and
> I can't remember the other.  But the other module will be in the 2.4
> kernel and only partially exists in the 2.2.16 kernel.  (I'm just
> paraphrasing what I remember.)

Interesting, thanks.

I have been told (not yet tried it) that you can disable the onboard
sound in the bios, then put in your own PCI sound card and skip AC'97
completely.  Been meaning to try it.  I might go the ALSA route too, but
I'm not relishing the 4-6 hours I suspect it will take, after watch the
[alsa-users] mailing list for a couple weeks :(  Or, maybe I'm just a
wimp :)

-=hammer

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 installation hangs
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:31:09 -0700

hi there,

I beleive that your problem related to famous UDMA66 problem - RedHat 6.2
doesn't know how to work with it. UDMA66 became FAQ check next page

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/udma66.html

Hope it will shed a little light

Andrey

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linksys question...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:36:33 -0700

Hi there,

you should start from here

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/index.html

Andrey

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't install Rh 6.1 on 486 with 15gb drive and Promise Drivemax
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:55:05 -0400

Hi,
    I seem to be stuck at the disk partitioning part of the install
using the Redhat 6.1 cd. What seems to be happening is
that Disk Druid is adding the partitions as primary partitions.
In my past experience with other systems, Disk Druid adds
additional partitions as logical partition, I think. Not primary ones.
I can't see where there is an option to add partitions as
logical / extended partitions. At one point it said "No free
Primary Partitions".  This was where I wanted to create 4 or
more partitions. When I tried to set up only a "/" and a "swap"
partition, it said " Not enough space"
   I upgraded my Gateway 486 by adding a Promise Drivemax
card to extend the bios to allow up 128 GB hard drives. I added
a 15 GB IBM 7200 rpm hard drive.  So far I was able to install
Win95 C on the system without problems and Windows
recognized all the hard drive space. I am using about 8 GB for
Win95 as 4 partitions. (Win c:, d:, e:, f:) (Linux: hda1, hda5, hda6,
hda7)
  The way it appears now, either there is a problem with Disk Druid,
in which case maybe it's possible to use Linux FDISK or the like,
or the Promise Drivemax does not work with Linux.

                                                Thanks
                                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setup RH6.2 with Abit BP6-II
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:54:55 -0700

==============F84AC873BBCE43CB5A155E36

Hi Jimmy,

1. http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/udma66.html
     ya this a real problem
2. http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/tnt2.html
    but with redhat 6.2 it should works without modifications
     just select any card on TNT2/TNT chipset
3. http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?34
    it works

Andrey

Jimmy Lee wrote:

> I have some questions about the hardware setup with RedHat Linux 6.2.  Here
> is my hardware configuration.
>
> Mainborad:  Abit BE6-II (w/High point 366 UDMA 66 ver.)
> CPU:  Pentium III 500MHz (FC-PGA w/Abit Slocket)
> RAM:  KingMax PC133 128MB
> Hard disk:  IBM UDMA 66 20MB  (connected at UDMA Primary Master channel,
> choose as second boot device in bios)
> CD-Rom:  50x IDE (conneted at IDE Primary Master channel, choose as third
> boot device in bios)
> Display:  nVidia TNT Vanta 8MB
> Sound Card:  Creative PCI 128 Vibar
> LAN Card:  3COM 3C905C-TX
> MODEM:  ZOOM dual mode external
> Others:  Floppy drive, Keyboard, Mouse, 15" CRT Monitor
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1.  I cannot install the RH6.2 with floppy boot disk.  In the screen choose
> setup options (Server, Workstatiom, Custom ...), the installation program
> says it cannot find any disk device (forgot the message, but I guess missing
> the UDMA driver) to instll.
>
> 2.  I cannot config my nVidia Nanta (8MB, AGP) version to work with any X
> environment.
>
> 3.  I cannot config my sound card to work with any Linux.  I can locate the
> information about the sound card under Turbo Linux KDE config/PCI
> inofmration  (IRQ 11, I/O 0xc800).  The sound card is using the Creative
> chipset.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.

==============F84AC873BBCE43CB5A155E36

Hi Jimmy,
HREF="http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/udma66.html">http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/udma66.html</A>
HREF="http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/tnt2.html">http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/tnt2.html</A>
HREF="http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?34">http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?34</A>
RedHat Linux 6.2.&nbsp; Here
Master channel,
as third
the screen choose
missing
with any X
I can locate the
the Creative

<pre></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Ralph D. Ungermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster AudioPCI 128D
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:51:34 +0200

David Shochat wrote:

[...]
> That's my current theory, since it says in the source that that version
> (0.22) supports rev7 and I, alas, have rev8.

No idea, what's wrong with you configuration. But I hope, you can find a
hint below:

________
1. My kernel (2.2.16) has es1371 support built-in. At boot time, this
reads:

es1371: version v0.22 time 00:22:41 Aug  5 2000
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x1371 revision 0x08
es1371: found es1371 rev 8 at io 0xcc00 irq 10
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
es1371: codec vendor CRY (0x435259) revision 19 (0x13)
es1371: codec features Headphone out 20bit DAC 18bit ADC
es1371: stereo enhancement: Crystal Semiconductor 3D Stereo Enhancement
Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete

This works fine without any further configuration.
The only difference I can see is your io port and irq; and: there is no
check for an es1370 at all.

Feel free to email me for more information on my configuration.

------------------------------

From: "Peter Kuykendall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem / pppd question
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:04:34 GMT

Hi Edward -

Thanks for the quick reply.

> There will be 24 pppd processes

Thanks, that answers one of my questions.

>, but that does not mean much.  The heavy duty
> codes will be in the kernel, not just ppp, but all the networking
overheads.
> The question is whether your embedded processor can handle 24 networking
> tasks.

That's the question.  Here's my rough breakdown of worst case traffic:

56Kbps download per modem
33Kbps upload per modem
x 24 modems
======
2136 bps total

This is actually quite a bit slower than my cable modem (which sustains 3-4
Mbps downloads and 384Kbps uploads), which is routed through my 486-33 Linux
box via IPCHAINS.  Running TOP on that box shows that the CPU is only
burning up about 5% of it's available cycles.  *IF* that holds up in this
case (i.e. scales to 24 slow processes) then I should be able to run it on a
very slow processor (e.g. 386SX16).  But I'm wondering how much extra CPU
time will be taken (if any) by having 24 low bandwidth tasks running, rather
than 1 high bandwidth task.

> Anyway, what is the cost of embedded processors verse modems?  Why do
> you need to have all the modems handled by a single processor?

It's an aircraft application, so size, weight, power consumption, cost, etc.
all weigh in.  The fewer processors, RAM, etc. that I can do this with, the
better.  It would appear that a single processor would have plenty of CPU
cycles (unless I've missed something), provided the tasks all get serviced
fairly rapidly (i.e. each timeslice is small).

Thanks again -
-- Pete

------------------------------

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:06:08 GMT

are you sure the dire warning is not for the -U flag instead of the -u flag?
"David Steuber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) writes:

' >My first thought was that the interrupt for the IDE drive was taking
' >up all the CPU time so that the NIC couldn't be serviced.  But a
'
' You're probably right :) Try "hdparm -u1 /dev/hd<device letter>". This
will
' turn on IRQ unmasking for the drive, reducing CPU overhead when there is
' large amounts of disk I/O. For some setups, this option is considered
' dangerous (CMD640B and RZ1000), but most people should be OK.

Man hdparm has dire warnings about this one.  But I sure could use the
speed.  The machine I am setting up as a server uses the Abit VH6
board with Via chipset.  Will this be safe?  Another machine that
could use a boost is a Gateway 2000 G6-200.  Will that be safe?  I
really can't afford to scramble the disks, and I have no place to
backup too :-(.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
--- Devon Miller

------------------------------

From: Christoph Horst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link SN5000TX NIC - looking for drivers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:18:11 +0200

Hi everybody,
I got a SN5000TX NIC in my box. It runs fine under Windows, but I have
no drivers for linux. After some searching I'm pretty sure that D-Link
made this card, but they don't support or even mention it on their
website, and all I could find are dead links or ancient message board
postings about problems with this card I don't understand :)

I run SuSE 6.1 with a 2.2.14 kernel. Can anyone help me?

Christoph

------------------------------

From: John Mamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: yet another scsi problem (YASP)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:25:04 GMT

Hi all,
   I have a new external seagate ST318436LW  (18GB) connected to my
Adaptec AHA2940U/UW controller.  The bios sees the disk drive, but linux
can't get to it during the boot.  I keep getting the message
"Host 0 Abort (PID 4) timed out- resetting" over and over.  I've used
the controller successfully with my Jaz drive.  I've removed everything
from the SCSI bus, manually set the card termination to "on" (both low
half and high half) and put a hardware terminator on the external
drive.  I'm suspecting either the cable or the terminator, but would
greatly appreciate advice.

thank you
john

------------------------------

From: "Ralph D. Ungermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ViewSonic Monitor and Trident video adapter
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:39:01 +0200

Arash Sayadi wrote:

> ...  However, I could only get the Gnome
> desktop manager, in fact, any of the desktop managers, to display under the
> 800x600 for any color depth when I ran the standard RedHat Linux install.

The resolution and color depth is usually set via the Xserver, not the
window manager.
Hit Ctrl+Alt+GreyPlus to change the resolution. This should work in any
window manager.

If it doesn't help, run /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup to configure your card
and monitor, and select the resolutions available for
Ctrl+Alt+Plus/Minus.

You can also edit /etc/XF86Config to fine-tune your settings.

Both files come with man pages.